Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Nocturtle posted:

It appears to be a real pain for under three year olds to get boosters right now. It was difficult enough for our four year old as our pediatrician's office similarly doesn't stock the booster. Don't have any specific recommendations for the Chicago area unfortunately. I'm guessing you looked into the CVS "minute clinics", which seem to be the only pharmacy option for under three year olds? Alternatively you might try checking out independent pediatric practices, some provide shots or have clinics open to non-patients. This is how we got our younger kid their primary series shots when we learned our pediatrician's office didn't provide them and none of the pharmacies had them in stock.

Oh poo poo I just figured cvs was like Walgreens and wouldn't do under 3 but I'll check.

Also why isn't my pediatrician stocking the god drat booster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh hol up, there's a difference. You don't have to be as precise wiping poop with boys as you do girls. Also there is extra danger of getting peed on by boys that arn't possible by girls. :biotruths:

Potty Training Holiday was a complete failure. No pee in the bucket. poo poo remains the most hopeless endeavor. Like... gently caress every body else on the planet that we know can pee in a potty. What's up lil dude this is attempt #368. Every now and again I look at the picture of the first time he successfully pottied at attempt #29, when I thought it would be easy like that one time forever. Ugh piss

Our oldest was 4 years old before he wanted to stop wearing a diaper. poo poo sucked.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
scrolling the forums on the couch with my toddler looking over my shoulder

so far she is 100% at pointing out peoples dumb paw patrol and cat avatars

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

we can give baby boy calpol now and life is so much better

RBC posted:

paw patrol

fascist apologia

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RBC posted:

scrolling the forums on the couch with my toddler looking over my shoulder

so far she is 100% at pointing out peoples dumb paw patrol and cat avatars

I can't browse with the 7yo nearby because he will point out the uhhhh interesting text people have

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My favourite paw patrol episode is the one that starts with the mayor and her friends having a quick vote to decide where to put the ballot box, and then the rest of the episode is spent sabotaging the challengers campaign. It's very true to life at least.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
my 5 year old has decided today she will walk like a crab everywhere she goes. lets see how long it can last.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Struensee posted:

Our oldest was 4 years old before he wanted to stop wearing a diaper. poo poo sucked.

We had a great method for encouraging our kid to potty train! And when I say "had a method," i mean "she had horrific diaper rash that kept coming back and we had to hold her down to wipe her butt while she screamed in agony and after the third round of that she also had constipation so she kept pooping small nuggets six times a day and the combination of all of those meant she got lots of potty training and how to hold your pee with no diaper in short order"

So not something I'd uh, recommend. But she's potty trained.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

my 5 year old has decided today she will walk like a crab everywhere she goes. lets see how long it can last.

I guess it's crab day, my kid woke up and started making pinching motions and declared we were all crabs.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

carcinization in action

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gonna crosspost from the a/t parenting thread in case you wonderful people have any advice

hello parenting thread, here is a problem in my house that i am not sure how to approach.

in 2021 (i almost said last year but it's 2023 now wowie) my wife lost a pregnancy about 13 weeks in. we don't know why for sure but suspect that it was due to her getting pretty sick, something she caught from our son that he got in daycare. needless to say this was a very traumatic and upsetting experience. when she got pregnant again last april, she was extremely nervous about losing the pregnancy, and her obgyn basically told her to take it easy for the duration of the pregnancy. as a result, she wouldn't pick up our son - he's heavy as hell! - and i had to do all of his diaper changes because he kicks. any time he got sick, she basically quarantined herself in our bedroom so as not to get infected. because she couldn't/wouldn't pick him up, i did all of his overnight wakeups. i did all of his bedtime ritual stuff (singing, reading, storytime). all bathtime. etc. basically all active parenting. i didn't and don't mind doing all of this, i love my son very much and i wanted my wife to have as easy a pregnancy as possible, but it has led to a rather unfortunate situation.

basically, my son is extremely attached to me now. he only seeks me out for comfort, and he will actively refuse attention/comfort from his mother. if he falls down and gets hurt, he runs right to me. if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he cries for me. if he gets upset at daycare, he cries for me. when he was sick during christmas, he only wanted to sit in my lap and would refuse to be held by either of his grandparents. all of that close interaction with a sick toddler led to me getting sick last week, and i couldn't even take a nap or a break from him (except during his naptime) because he would scream his head off if i wasn't close by and accessible.

what do i do here? from a practical standpoint i am still needing to do the bulk of the care for my son because my wife is taking care of a month old baby, but once things stabilize in a few months or so, how do we go about re-establishing some kind of better balance? i'm sure hearing "go away mommy" is hurtful to my wife, i'd like something of a break from having to do 100% of taking care of my son, and i'd also like to be able to actually take care of and bond with my daughter. sorry if any of this is unclear.

oh also i guess it would make a lot of sense to say how old my son is!!! he is two years and nine months old.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in lighter news last night my son was saying who was a boy and who was a girl so i asked him if i was a boy and he said "no daddy is a big boy"

then later he kept saying "daddy is a girl" lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well, I wouldn't place too much blame for this on the pregnancy worries -- my daughter (two years four months) also has a pretty strong daddy preference; she won't let my wife read her bedtime stories, and if I've been watching her solo and my wife enters the room, she will sometimes cry and tell her to leave again. Some friends of ours whose son is about 2 years and 1 month old have a similar thing where he only wants the dad to hold him. Having a preference for one parent or the other seems pretty common overall at this age.

As for what to do now, well, I think the hard reality of a lot of problems revolving around a kid not wanting to do something is that they're gonna have to do it anyway. Occasionally his mom is going to have to parent him, and if he's upset about it, he's upset about it. He'll get used to it again eventually.

alternate reply: maybe stop being such a good father all the time, dickhead

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You have to make yourself immune to at least SOME toddler tantrums, or they're gonna get worse. It's an important part of toddler parenting.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Maybe ease into it by having his mom preside over an activity he likes rather than just having her watch him play with his toys, like, have her take him to the zoo or even just watch Daniel Tiger with him without you present or something

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm on the same train as you Lobster, just a couple weeks behind on the timeline. I pushed Mom and Son together for holiday, but her work schedule and extreme pregnancy made me the heavy lifter for his care. It fuckin sucks, but I just have to try and believe that whenever the schedule of care flip flops she's going to have some mommy magic to break through the parental preference.

I have no advice. poo poo just sucks dude.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

gonna crosspost from the a/t parenting thread in case you wonderful people have any advice

hello parenting thread, here is a problem in my house that i am not sure how to approach.

Young children often develop a preference for a specific parent. My four year old still very much prefers their mother and tells me this in strong terms. However we were able to have me take over their bedtime routine and other specific activities, partially by making it clear that I was going to be doing them and partially through grit+tricks. It was easier that they were a bit older too, two/three year olds are very different from three/four year olds. One suggestion might be to make it clear a certain enjoyable activity only happens with their mother, for example baking cookies? Also not having the favourite parent present when that happens helped a lot.

Regarding balance that is always hard. Especially in your case as infants require so much attention.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lobster shirt posted:

what do i do here? from a practical standpoint i am still needing to do the bulk of the care for my son because my wife is taking care of a month old baby, but once things stabilize in a few months or so, how do we go about re-establishing some kind of better balance? i'm sure hearing "go away mommy" is hurtful to my wife, i'd like something of a break from having to do 100% of taking care of my son, and i'd also like to be able to actually take care of and bond with my daughter. sorry if any of this is unclear.

My parenting advice: The first 4-6 months of having a newborn are extremely stressful, basically I remember running off instinct and never getting any sleep. Especially the first 6 weeks. (e: Also a very emotional time for everyone! I'm pretty sure my hormones were running wild and I was not thinking entirely straight.)

Hang in there and do whatever works for your family, it won't be forever. If this means having a toddler attached to your hip the entire time, just roll with it and try not to overthink things. Spend time with your daughter as well because that's important too but little babies really need their moms more then their dads for the first bit. I tried not to take it personally but I don't remember it being easy on me.

Do whatever works for your family, don't try to match your expectations of what having another baby would be, don't worry about what you may have read or what other people think.

Just get through this rough bit with a lot of love for your wife and children, it will get better. "Do whatever works for your family" is the mantra. :)

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jan 4, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Broke my wife of her "No Sugar For Baby" policy when I told her that the boy would like her and hug her more if she gave him cookies.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you mean like secondhand sugar though milk?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I dunno what she means, we got a big ol costco bucket of animal crackers and those were forbidden to feed the baby because they have too much sugar. Then the toddler swerved her to give me a hug and now animal crackers are fine to give the baby. I stopped trying to figure out the why a long time ago.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

in 2021 (i almost said last year but it's 2023 now wowie) my wife lost a pregnancy about 13 weeks in. we don't know why for sure but suspect that it was due to her getting pretty sick, something she caught from our son that he got in daycare. needless to say this was a very traumatic and upsetting experience. when she got pregnant again last april, she was extremely nervous about losing the pregnancy, and her obgyn basically told her to take it easy for the duration of the pregnancy. as a result, she wouldn't pick up our son - he's heavy as hell! - and i had to do all of his diaper changes because he kicks. any time he got sick, she basically quarantined herself in our bedroom so as not to get infected. because she couldn't/wouldn't pick him up, i did all of his overnight wakeups. i did all of his bedtime ritual stuff (singing, reading, storytime). all bathtime. etc. basically all active parenting. i didn't and don't mind doing all of this, i love my son very much and i wanted my wife to have as easy a pregnancy as possible, but it has led to a rather unfortunate situation.

basically, my son is extremely attached to me now. he only seeks me out for comfort, and he will actively refuse attention/comfort from his mother. if he falls down and gets hurt, he runs right to me. if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he cries for me. if he gets upset at daycare, he cries for me. when he was sick during christmas, he only wanted to sit in my lap and would refuse to be held by either of his grandparents. all of that close interaction with a sick toddler led to me getting sick last week, and i couldn't even take a nap or a break from him (except during his naptime) because he would scream his head off if i wasn't close by and accessible.

oh also i guess it would make a lot of sense to say how old my son is!!! he is two years and nine months old.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but the risk of spontaneous miscarriage at 13 weeks is still fairly high, so I probably wouldn't be that careful going forward.

My oldest son still prefers my wife for everything except rough and tumble play, but we've made a point of sharing duties 50/50 as much as possible, e.g. bedtime stories every second night. I think it helps quite a lot, but my son will still say things that can be hurtful, but it's important to realize that he obviously doesn't understand what he's saying.

Struensee has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Jan 4, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah we also had a miscarriage between first baby and current pregnancy and that sounded like an overreaction to me, but (a) I understand why, and (b) like I said before I don't think it's worth dwelling on w/r/t the current daddy preference because parent preferences are extremely common

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

any of you had a baby who just wouldn't stop screaming no matter what? just always screamed?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my first did that until we found the delayed milk protein allergy and we eliminated it from the diet. just constant grizzling and crying. bad times

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bitmap posted:

any of you had a baby who just wouldn't stop screaming no matter what? just always screamed?

:(

I assume you're familiar with Colic?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/colic/symptoms-causes/syc-20371074

Free advice: seek some relief, like a family member who can come look after the baby for a few hours while you get out and away from the screaming.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bitmap posted:

Yeah, I didn't, but your avatar is probably on point. I feel for you. But also remember that you should avoid hurting yourself or the baby, and it is better to put down the baby and leave for 10 minutes than to shake the baby hard because it needs to shut up. Also, get as much help as possible and try to take shifts so one parent (assuming two parents) can sleep while the other babies.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I amend my comment to read get as much help as possible also.

Just do it, don't think about it too much. People want to be there for you when you have a baby.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ask tthe baby, politely, to please be silent for a few moments

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I find ear plugs to be useful. It doesn't stop the crying of course but it does stop the ears ringing in pain

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Another Bill posted:

I amend my comment to read get as much help as possible also.

Just do it, don't think about it too much. People want to be there for you when you have a baby.

Agreed, happy parent is a happy kid

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Microplastics posted:

I find ear plugs to be useful. It doesn't stop the crying of course but it does stop the ears ringing in pain

Yeah bluetooth headphones were helpful when I was pacing the kitchen with a screaming baby at 2 a.m. You still hear it but it helps you disassociate as god intended.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol i just remembered the time i just put ear plugs in because i was sick of hearing the screaming but the baby had to be held or it was somehow worse.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Noise cancelling headphones so you can listen to a podcast or something.

God I do not miss the nights where the only thing that would get her down was hours of bouncing on an exercise ball

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
How do you chill when they got you on your last loving nerve (5ish year old, 2 week break and then 2 snow days and I'm working from home).

Like, I don't wanna snap at him but ease the gently caress up kid.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

do they have any books about January 6th I can use to educate my 10 month old son?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Woke Mind Virus posted:

do they have any books about January 6th I can use to educate my 10 month old son?

https://www.brianmichaelweaver.com/updates/insurrection-maze

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Woke Mind Virus posted:

hes too young, you can traumatize him like that

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

AxGrap posted:

How do you chill when they got you on your last loving nerve (5ish year old, 2 week break and then 2 snow days and I'm working from home).

Like, I don't wanna snap at him but ease the gently caress up kid.

remember it's okay to walk away or close your eyes and breathe for a second.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just play Operation with your son and only let him taze the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Today's my son's birthday