Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pant fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked his car https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64124242

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

That's quite the declaration right there Babar, I like it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

webmeister posted:

This except VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid after that loving test

I was working in the US at the time, and there was an Indian guy in my team, which is great because we could talk cricket. Remember him being despondent about the match status and I said jokingly “don’t worry, Laxman could score, a double century and Dravid a century”. I had absolutely no idea that that is what they would do. It was pretty gratifying to wake up the next morning and look at the scorecard!

I also remember travelling in Europe end of 1993, and talking to my family in South Africa occasionally over the payphone, and asking about the cricket, and hearing that Australia only needed 117 in the final innings to win, or something like that.

Then we went to this place where we were skiing, and there were some Aussies there who had the results, and we’re not happy! I think we got them all out for 111.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

goatface posted:

Pant fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked his car https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64124242

pant on fire

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

masterpine posted:

That's quite the declaration right there Babar, I like it.

New Zealand gave it a go, but the light was always going to be an issue

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’ve only been checking the scores afterwards but the BBL seems especially dire this year.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This BBL caught is not out right.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Mister Chief posted:

This BBL caught is not out right.

Surely that shouldn't be a catch. For those who haven't seen it, Silk hits a long ball, Neser gets hands to it just inside the rope and throws it up in the air before going over the rope. His throw takes the ball several metres over the line and quite high. He then waits underneath it, well out of bounds, and then just before it comes down he does a little bunny hop, takes the ball with his feet off the ground and quickly lobs it forward before they touch the ground again, then goes back inside the rope to complete the catch.

Surely you should have to initiate your jump while still in play for it to count. I can only assume the rules are that it's only a six if it touches a fielder while they are grounded out of play, but I mean, if that's the interpretation then what's to stop a fielder from running out bounds, hopping on the fence and leaping through the air to knock it back into play? Hell, a simpler example, he could have just started from outside the rope and jumped back in to catch it, would have made it easier to avoid going over.

Edit: Apparently the rules require the fielder to be within the boundary when they first touch the ball, so I guess the fence-hopping option is out. Are players allowed to start outside the rope and leap back inside to get more favourable momentum?

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 1, 2023

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

cmndstab posted:

Surely you should have to initiate your jump while still in play for it to count. I

I thought that was the rule

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Nah that's come up a few times in the last few years and while it's a stupid rule they've been consistent with it.

I took my 4yo to the BBL tonight and he absolutely loved it with all the fireworks and sixes so apparently that's the target market.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The reason I said it was not out is I swear they changed the rules a few years ago.

But I think that might have only been to eliminate what you said. Which is where a player could be standing outside the field of play and then jump to parry the ball back in.

I thought and think that what Neser did shouldn't be allowed but apparently it is still.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They should make it that the last place you touched should have to be the field of play for it to be a catch.

So parry up in the field of play. Step out. Step back in. Catch it. Is OK.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
This is a very dumb hypothetical but if a person in the crowd was in the air and parried the ball back to a fielder who also happened to jump at the right time to knock it back before the boundary would it just be a dead ball for interference rather than a six because nobody ever touched the ground while handling the ball outside the field of play? Or is there like a if it touches a spectator it's a boundary rule?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Nah, that'd be a six.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There's no rule saying dogs can't play cricket.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Yeah, I think the rule is if the ball touches someone or something that isn't a fielder and is outside a boundary, that's it.

Otherwise you'd have silly situations like if a batter hit a six into the upper deck and the fielding team trying to rules lawyer that it hadn't hit the ground yet, look how high it is!

I know rugby league has a rule about people/objects outside the field of play counting as the "ground", so for instance when someone kicks for touch of a penalty it's out once someone in the grandstand catches it, even if it technically hasn't hit the ground.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Dammit you guys are ruining my plans to surround the world's cricket grounds with enormous rubber bands that fling sixes back to waiting fielders

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mister Chief posted:

There's no rule saying dogs can't play cricket.

Well actually ...

"Laws of Cricket posted:

1.2.1 Each captain shall nominate his/her players in writing to one of the umpires before the toss.

1.2.2 No player may be replaced after the nomination without the consent of the opposing captain.

So unless that dog was nominated by the captain before the toss, or had the consent of the opposing captain to be a substitute. there is indeed a rulr saying that dogs can't play cricket.

Checkmate Athetits. :smuggo:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I nominate the dog, now what

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
My dog loving loves cricket, which is weird since he’s lazy as gently caress and has never fetched a ball or stick in his life.

A few flaws in his forward defence and he’s hopeless at leg spin, but he’s an absolute gun at backward point

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah based on that dogs can play.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This NZ Pakistan test is free entry and the ground is empty.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Another turd of a pitch, complete waste of time.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Pakistan begging to back to the UAE

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The board will have its five days!!!!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're slumping pretty good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pulled it back a bit at the end.

Full 90 overs in the day.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

7 and fox retained the broadcasting rights in Australia until 2031. BBL reduced from 61 to 43 games with 3 finals. Men's international white ball cricket still behind a paywall.

Most troubling is David Warner is going to commentate on Fox.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Reduced BBL games is definitely the correct decision. Shame that ODIs are still essentially invisible to anyone without Kayo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Big effort from the boys.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Meh, get rid of ODIs. They are too boring. Have tests and T20s.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

So it is going back to the 17/18 format which only lasted a year before they extended it again.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

100 run partnership for the last wicket.

I remember seeing an ad for this BBL season boasting about about the 61 games like it was a good thing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Zampa cheating lol

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Honestly love a mankad, especially a BBL-standard hosed up mankad. Made this boring-rear end game worth watching for a moment.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It's funny that fewer games in a season is actually a good thing

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

masterpine posted:

Honestly love a mankad, especially a BBL-standard hosed up mankad. Made this boring-rear end game worth watching for a moment.

Running out the non-striker js cool and good

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
41 + 47 = 88 overs bowled, -2 for end of innings and that's :siren:a second 90 over day in a row:siren:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

There’s the Warner we know and love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

webmeister posted:

There’s the Warner we know and love

He's going to be useless for the rest of the year isn't he :laugh: