Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Clarste posted:

My understanding is that the problem is less tradition and more voter apathy. People who've internalized that it doesn't matter who's in power because all politicians are the same, so they completely ignore politics and don't pay attention to elections.

I'd have thought Abe getting gunned down in the street would've sent some kind of, "Look at this, this is not normal" signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I meant historically.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well do you know who's history? Shinzo Abe.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shinzo’s spectre will haunt Japanese politics for the foreseeable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Clarste posted:

My understanding is that the problem is less tradition and more voter apathy. People who've internalized that it doesn't matter who's in power because all politicians are the same, so they completely ignore politics and don't pay attention to elections.

The Democratic Party being in power and basically being an off-brand LDP would have reinforced this somewhat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

The Democratic Party being in power and basically being an off-brand LDP would have reinforced this somewhat.

Yeah, they would’ve gotten blamed for something and voted out. Like last time :v:

My understanding is that it’s very much ‘land voting’ in a more extreme manner than even something like the U.S. senate - young people in the two biggest metro areas with less representative power than some old dude out in the inaka. Turns out when your vote isn’t valued, people don’t vote!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Japanese system is purpose-built to massively emphasise the vote of rural areas to almost ensure conservative domination. Why? Because of post-WW2 fear of any brand of leftism, which of course had their greatest supporters in urban areas. Surprise surprise this has the effect of demoralizing right-of-right voters when the Soviet Union is decades away and it seems nothing will ever change, no matter how you cast your vote. No need to invent any vague cultural explanations about Japanese society not being a good fit for democracy because tradition~ when it's clearly just a case of a fundamentally broken system.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not to mention all the leftists being actively murdered or drowned out by sudden surges of campaign funding from nowhere.

The system's broken on purpose. The occupation never ended.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The kind of center-left liberalism that expats so desperately love is just an extremely weak politics basically everywhere. All capitalist democracies have an extremely strong tendency to center-right dominance. There are few exceptions, and it’s probably better to think of them as exceptions. The American Democrats are a center-right party in reality, and still manage to lose most of the time. The Canadian Liberals, probably the best pure example of the kind of politics that white expats in Japan want, is currently heading a minority government and got like 35% of the vote last election. Most of Europe historically has been dominated by the center-right, albeit not quite as completely as Japan

I think an underrated problem with Japan is that it’s a unitary state, which means that there’s no real candidate pipeline for the opposition. There is no real state level of politics in Japan. If you take Germany, none of the major parties have ever been out of power at at least the state level, which means there is a pool of people with at least some political experience to draw on that doesn’t exist in Japan. The major opposition leaders in Japan’s recent history all have had hilariously bad resumes by other countries standards, except I guess Ozawa who was the leader of the LDP itself. Edano was MITI minister for like 1 year in the DPJ government a decade ago. Kenta Izumi has never held an executive post. Taro Yamamoto was a TV actor

I think the Ozawa plan of just assembling a palette-swapped LDP and making that new formation the permanent ruling party was/is really the only option, at least without fundamental constitutional change to a more federalized system. The chance of surviving in power grows the longer you’re in power. that’s just how the system structurally is set up. As I’ve written I think that was doomed when the Komeito broke ranks, but maybe it could happen still?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 2, 2023

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well since you brought it up, what do non-white expats want? It seems like everyone thinks of expats as white dudes exclusively.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's because white dudes want to call themselves expats so they aren't lumped in either the *curls lip* brown and poor people in the "migrants" group.

Same for British "expats" in Spain. I'm not an economic migrant, I'm an expat!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Same for British "expats" in Spain. I'm not an economic migrant, I'm an expat!

Jokes on them, they voted for Brexit and are now just "deported back to our sunless isle"

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr.Radical posted:

Well since you brought it up, what do non-white expats want? It seems like everyone thinks of expats as white dudes exclusively.

White expats generally want restricted/reduced immigration for people who aren’t white (aka “boat people” or insert your slur of choice). White expats also have zero sense of the irony of their views on immigrants in light of their own status as immigrants and economic migrants (unemployed or unemployable in their own countries in many cases).

I have not asked non-white expats their views on this particular issue, but I would imagine that they are not in favor of white-only immigration to Japan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was playing Ace Attorney and a character mentions she was hanged after being convicted. You hear all sorts of online things about AA being a critique of IRL Japanese legal system but this made me curious and at least Google says Japan does in fact use hanging to execute people.

If that's true, it reminds me of a thought I had a long time ago. You know in old West stuff, you hear or see that some people are strangled by the noose instead of it breaking their neck. But this was forever ago and in rough parts of the US. So I wondered "if we still did modern hangings, would it be more sophisticated to ensure no strangulations but actual neck snapping 100% of the time?

It's a morbid thought but now I know this about Japan, do they basically prove my wild musings? Do they have some super modern method of hanging?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Dr.Radical posted:

Well since you brought it up, what do non-white expats want?
We want to keep making fun of the white guy who's lived here for six months and is an expert on what "the Japanese" think about literally every topic (usually racism), but also gets nervous when they see another white guy because they're barging in on their turf.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was playing Ace Attorney and a character mentions she was hanged after being convicted. You hear all sorts of online things about AA being a critique of IRL Japanese legal system but this made me curious and at least Google says Japan does in fact use hanging to execute people.

If that's true, it reminds me of a thought I had a long time ago. You know in old West stuff, you hear or see that some people are strangled by the noose instead of it breaking their neck. But this was forever ago and in rough parts of the US. So I wondered "if we still did modern hangings, would it be more sophisticated to ensure no strangulations but actual neck snapping 100% of the time?

It's a morbid thought but now I know this about Japan, do they basically prove my wild musings? Do they have some super modern method of hanging?

They use the more humane "long drop" method, which causes a rapid death rather than strangulation. Wikipedia's source for this: https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/politics-and-capital-punishment-a-volatile-mixture

Here is a dramatization of the morning of an execution, but it appears to show a botched short drop: :nms: dramatized death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnXrQcQYj98 :nms:

Ohtori Akio fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 4, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think any country that still uses hanging uses anything other than the long-drop method, it's not exactly a novel innovation. The English came up with it around 1872, says Wikipedia.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PT6A posted:

I don't think any country that still uses hanging uses anything other than the long-drop method, it's not exactly a novel innovation. The English came up with it around 1872, says Wikipedia.

Iran at least sometimes gets lazy and doesn't use drop tables.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

PT6A posted:

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Iran at least sometimes gets lazy and doesn't use drop tables.

Iran generally uses a short drop off a stool, suspended from a crane.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do Japanese death panelty inmate get to order whatever they want in last meal?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think Japanese death row inmates don't even know they will be executed until the morning of, so I doubt they get special meal allowances.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do Japanese death panelty inmate get to order whatever they want in last meal?

In some circumstances, a degree of choice is offered: https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14767701

Wittgen posted:

I think Japanese death row inmates don't even know they will be executed until the morning of, so I doubt they get special meal allowances.

The reality of capital punishment in most jurisdictions across history is that it depends, it changes, it never goes the exact same way each time.

It is correct, however, that they are notified the morning of, and family is notified after the execution is carried out. The dramatization I linked makes a point of that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think hearing about the details of an actual execution, regardless of what those details are, really drives home what a vile institution the death penalty is. There's really no way to do it right, and no justification for maintaining it, even if you hold the rather understandable and common opinion that some crimes are so bad that you deserve death if you do them. I hold the latter opinion myself, and I still think the death penalty cannot be justified.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Just because some people deserve to die doesn't mean that other people deserve the power to kill. For sure.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The basic Christian position, articulated well by the Catholic Church, is my view: to take another's life as punishment is an inadmissible attack on the dignity of human life. I understand there are other religious movements which have reached similar conclusions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

PT6A posted:

As Google Jeb Bush and Ohtori Akio said, it hasn't always been used consistently.

George Orwell posted:

There is one question which at first sight looks both petty and disgusting but which I should like to see answered. It is this. In the innumerable hangings of war criminals which have taken place all over Europe during the past few years, which method has been followed — the old method of strangulation, or the modern, comparatively humane method which is supposed to break the victim's neck at one snap?

A hundred years ago or more, people were hanged by simply hauling them up and letting them kick and struggle until they died, which might take a quarter of an hour or so. Later the drop was introduced, theoretically making death instantaneous, though it does not always work very well.

In recent years, however, there seems to have been a tendency to revert to strangulation. I did not see the news film of the hanging of the German war crimmals at Kharkov, but the descriptions in the British press appeared to show that the older method was used. So also with various executions in the Balkan countries.

The newspaper accounts of the Nuremberg hangings were ambiguous. There was talk of a drop, but there was also talk of the condemned men taking ten or twenty minutes to die. Perhaps, by a typically Anglo-Saxon piece of compromise, it was decided to use a drop but to make it too short to be effective.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Good time to mention this criterion collection classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl0i8lMIRqM

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So on this Calander, I got it lists Coming of Age day in Japan. What's that?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's a national holiday celebrating everyone who came of age (turned 20) the previous year.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Wittgen posted:

It's a national holiday celebrating everyone who came of age (turned 20) the previous year.

18 as of last april, tho it sounds like ~80% of municipalities doing coming of age ceremonies will just keep doing it for 20-year-olds

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oh interesting. I heard about the voting age being low red, but I hadn't considered it might affect his they celebrate coming of age day. I mean, it seems like a nightmare, logistically. Do they just have to invite everyone who turned 20, 19, and 18 so they don't skip anyone this first year? Organize three different events? The one I went to had local schools doing talent show type stuff as entertainment. Feels like that well might tap out pretty fast.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s also a nightmare because it’s an event where the kids get dressed up in nice suits or (for girls) kimono, and that’s a “book your kimono and photo session a year in advance” kind of deal.

More importantly it means many people start work again from the day after this holiday :ssh:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

yah, that's probably why 80% of places aren't changing the age of the folks getting recognized: kimono industry and ceremony facilities can't support three classes worth of new adults

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean, in the US you can vote at 18 but can't drink till your 21.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lammasu posted:

I mean, in the US you can vote at 18 but can't drink till your 21.

smoking and drinking in japan is still 20. voting came down to 18 a few years back. can enter contracts and all that other stuff at 18 since april of last year. so i guess coming of age day is a celebration of tobacco and alcohol only now

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's not like there isn't precedent for differences between traditional age of adulthood ceremonies and legal age of majority. Look at bar/bat mitzvahs or quinceaneras.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Look at bar/bat mitzvahs or quinceaneras.

I think I had a couple of those for lunch today

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ohtori Akio posted:

The basic Christian position, articulated well by the Catholic Church, is my view: to take another's life as punishment is an inadmissible attack on the dignity of human life.

It took them a while to get there, though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

icantfindaname posted:

The American Democrats are a center-right party in reality

This sort of thing really needs to be called out for the fact-free statement it is.

The Democrats broadly support social welfare, medicare, labor rights, GLBT rights. Trying to paint this as anything-"right" is, with all due respect, ridiculous.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Center-right in labor issues; center-left in social issues. Most Anglo countries left side parties have side stepped the labor right struggle in their politics in recent decades. Like why does the UK Labour party even squatting this name?