Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Paying £18 a month to rent a 4080 isn't that interesting.

Yeah I think I get it at $15 if I wanted.

I saw the $20 price and I was like uh yeah I don’t think so.

I pay $5 now and I’m perfectly happy with it on the smaller devices I use anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
$15 to rent a gpu that will only work on a small subset of games, not allow you to install any meaningful mods in your games, only allow you to afk for a few minutes, constantly ask you to sign back into steam, and will randomly be unavailable for patches for hours at a time

Oh and some games will get assigned terrible cpu resources

I had a lot of hope for GeForce now, but it’s actually pretty terrible

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

$15 to rent a gpu that will only work on a small subset of games, not allow you to install any meaningful mods in your games, only allow you to afk for a few minutes, constantly ask you to sign back into steam, and will randomly be unavailable for patches for hours at a time

Oh and some games will get assigned terrible cpu resources

I had a lot of hope for GeForce now, but it’s actually pretty terrible

The $5 tier is pretty awesome actually :shrug:

That and GamePass have me covered for like a lot of my stuff.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

K8.0 posted:

If you search 3080 -Ti and check "sold", you'll find plenty of them are selling for $500.

I'm not very experienced at ebay but all I see selling at that price is either for parts only or was back in october/november. The prices aren't that low anymore.

Honestly I'm kinda at a loss at what I wanna do at this point. My 1080 is really starting to struggle with new, graphically intensive games at 3440x1440, but since I'm not planning to upgrade my monitor until 4k OLED/HDR is priced a little more consumer friendly (which I assume is probably a year or two out) I really don't need a $1000+ tier graphics card. At the same time like I mentioned earlier it feels pretty lovely getting a used two year old card at only a very slight discount off mrsp (of course, mrsp 30 series cards don't exist anymore soooo). All in all feels like the shittiest time to be trying to upgrade my GPU. At at least equally lovely but in a different way than when I was trying to get a 3080 last year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fuckin’ get ‘em, Steve.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

I'm not very experienced at ebay but all I see selling at that price is either for parts only or was back in october/november. The prices aren't that low anymore.

Honestly I'm kinda at a loss at what I wanna do at this point. My 1080 is really starting to struggle with new, graphically intensive games at 3440x1440, but since I'm not planning to upgrade my monitor until 4k OLED/HDR is priced a little more consumer friendly (which I assume is probably a year or two out) I really don't need a $1000+ tier graphics card. At the same time like I mentioned earlier it feels pretty lovely getting a used two year old card at only a very slight discount off mrsp (of course, mrsp 30 series cards don't exist anymore soooo). All in all feels like the shittiest time to be trying to upgrade my GPU. At at least equally lovely but in a different way than when I was trying to get a 3080 last year.

Well you could rent a 4080 for $240 a year and be perfectly set! (if the games you play are on the service)

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i dont regret my 4090 after using a 1080ti for 5 years. i figure ill sit out the next generation or two again, except this time ill be able to rely on dlss probably

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

thats not candy posted:

i dont regret my 4090 after using a 1080ti for 5 years. i figure ill sit out the next generation or two again, except this time ill be able to rely on dlss probably

See if I had a legit use case for all that power I'd be fine with getting a 4090! It's just so brutally overkill for my monitor that it seems like I'd be burning a lot of cash.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I had it for a year when it launched and had the founders pricing. They lost me when they announced the paid upgrade for the 3080 video card tier since that seemed to just undermine the whole point of the platform

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

GruntyThrst posted:

See if I had a legit use case for all that power I'd be fine with getting a 4090! It's just so brutally overkill for my monitor that it seems like I'd be burning a lot of cash.

im only using a 3440x1400@144 monitor too. so far its overkill with everything ive played except cyberpunk, but thats okay!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Blugh. Guess I'll get the 4090 and save up for a 4k monitor next big sale.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
GPU Megat[H]read - Defend Your Purchase.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

GPU Megat[H]read - Defending Your Purchase.

- an Albert Brooks film

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Does it still count if I'm trying to convince myself?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought a 4090 on launch week and I have yet to say to myself “I wish I’d bought a lesser card or kept using the previous one”. As long as you have no further questions, I think I’m done.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Good point.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Vadoc posted:

Does it still count if I'm trying to convince myself?

It me.

Edit: Oh hey, Steven's vid for the 4070Ti announcement is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9akXjZkITE

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 4, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My 3060Ti is in RMA right now and my ol' reliable RX 580 is wheezing so GFN has been a nice fallback

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hughmoris posted:

GPU Megat[H]read - Defend Your Purchase.

Never understood why the Android thread had that tile for years, when the only purchase that needed defending was mobile game monetization.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Oh hey, Steven's vid for the 4070Ti announcement is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9akXjZkITE

loving :lol:, also :wtc: This company deserves to be driven into the ground.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think it’s hilarious that Steve thinks Nvidia focusing console comparisons and GeForce Now could lead to a change in this industry wide push for streaming and subscriptions. If GeForce Now gets successful it’s only going to make that push worse since there’s now demonstrably money in the market at the high end so everyone can push their prices up. You’d think someone who’s followed the GPU industry for years would know that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

I think it’s hilarious that Steve thinks Nvidia focusing console comparisons and GeForce Now could lead to a change in this industry wide push for streaming and subscriptions. If GeForce Now gets successful it’s only going to make that push worse since there’s now demonstrably money in the market at the high end so everyone can push their prices up. You’d think someone who’s followed the GPU industry for years would know that.

"You’ll own nothing. And you’ll be happy. What you want you’ll rent"

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Never understood why the Android thread had that tile for years, when the only purchase that needed defending was mobile game monetization.

Because all the thread regulars spend an insane amount of money to buy a new phone every year or even more frequently and any suggestion that such a move is silly is met with extreme hostility.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok now this is interesting

no it isn't mfer my steam library is huge

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Last time I looked at the Android thread a bunch of people were arguing that microSD is an obsolete thing to expect on a phone so I’m glad they still mock Apple for removing features then immediately say they’re not necessary when Android phones follow suit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/newz/thousands-of-amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-reference-cards-could-be-affected-by-110c-gpu-hotspot-issue

quote:

Update: AMD has issued a short statement, finally admitting that there is a problem with reference cooling design:

"We are working to determine the cause of the unexpected performance limitation of AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards. Based on our observations to date we believe the issue is related to the thermal solution used in AMD’s reference design and is occurring in a limited number of cards sold. We are working to resolve this issue for the affected cards. Customers experiencing this unexpected limitation should contact AMD support."
"Thousands" of units are affected, according to an unnamed SI interviewed by Igor, so that's a sizeable chunk of units sold, most likely.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
are there non-reference cooler designs out in the wild from board partners? if yes, has anyone found if they perform significantly better than reference cards?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, and yes. Even when the reference design is running as expected, the cooler is underwhelming and a decent bit louder than the non-reference AIB cards. But this isn't really a design flaw with the reference cooler at work here but a bad batch (or series of batches) where we believe that there may be insufficient liquid applied to the vapor chambers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, and yes. Even when the reference design is running as expected, the cooler is underwhelming and a decent bit louder than the non-reference AIB cards. But this isn't really a design flaw with the reference cooler at work here but a bad batch (or series of batches) where we believe that there may be insufficient liquid applied to the vapor chambers.

I thought the unspoken rule was always to only buy reference designs if you want to be guaranteed water block availability. Looking back historically, blowers were always awful and it's only recently that nVidia FE cards have had absurdly over-engineered stock coolers, albeit with the caveat that they're never available to buy.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

4070 ti reviews are up and uh... lol if this had sold for $900

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
remember way back when the top gpu gave you maybe 20% more perf than the $300 one?

it's like that, but in reverse lmfao

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I see now why the 4070 Ti was promoted as a 1440p card. It drops a little more performance than it should at 4K, probably due to the slow memory bandwidth. It seems to take a small hit to RT performance because of this too, though DLSS helps bring it back to matching/barely beating the 3090 ti.

the tl;dr of all the reviews seems to be that the 4070 ti represents a marginal price-to-performance improvement over the previous gen's high-end cards when comparing msrps, but it's still a joke that a 4070 ti is being sold for $800. This would be an excellent 1440p card at $500 - $600.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 4, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the GPU is bad but the content is tremendous

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
this should make for a fun update when the 4070ti is added

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean, yeesh, that drop at 4k. going from tied with the 3090 ti to 9% slower

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-tuf/31.html

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Today I learned by pure accident that my 6700XT will happily clock down its memory if I change framerate from 144 to 120 on my 1440p screen. I can even have two displays like this and it will clockdown (this was not possible before). At 144fps however it insists on a memory clock of 2k mhz (which will use 36W and temp goes up). I appreciate learning something new but with NV cards you barely know they are there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Today I learned by pure accident that my 6700XT will happily clock down its memory if I change framerate from 144 to 120 on my 1440p screen. I can even have two displays like this and it will clockdown (this was not possible before). At 144fps however it insists on a memory clock of 2k mhz (which will use 36W and temp goes up). I appreciate learning something new but with NV cards you barely know they are there.

nvidia cards do this too, especially with multiple monitors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm well it doesn't seem to be terrible considering the market Nvidia/AMD is trying to create, but in normal terms :lmao:

You're not even getting any more frames per $ than the 3070

(This is a 4k at MSRP, so add $100 for partner cards)

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Since gamestream will die and I can't find an alternative as good with Sunshine, Parsec, Steam Link, etc...

I'm thinking of maybe building a second PC in the living room just for those couch games I liked to stream. I usually go with 1080p 60hz because my TV can't get more than 60hz and my eyes are too bad to actually see a difference between 1080p and 4k in the living room (both games and movies).

I'm bugging a friend of mine who was big into mining. He has a few Asus Dual Mini Geforce 3060TI V2 OC Edition 8gb and I'm thinking that at 1080p 60fps in the living room, that could be a sweet spot since I'm used to my 3080TI at 1440p 144hz on my normal gaming rig. Feels like at 1080p60 I could pretty much max games and it would still be better than on consoles?

Looks like he would let me have one for 360$Cnd.

How does that sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Hmm well it doesn't seem to be terrible considering the market Nvidia/AMD is trying to create, but in normal terms :lmao:

You're not even getting any more frames per $ than the 3070

(This is a 4k at MSRP, so add $100 for partner cards)

Thats the thing, all of them are partnered cards so they are anywhere from $50 to $100 more expensive on average.