Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bold Robot posted:

What's the best way to set a stockpile for only "Treasures of the Gods"? I want to put them all in one place and forbid them. As far as I can tell they're all either armor, weapons, or finished goods, so I tried making a stockpile of just those and setting it to accept only materials with metal in the name, but for some reason dwarves are also filling the stockpile up with normal cloth clothes. :shrug:

Ime they're only ever made out of specific metal types that afaik you can't get normally- flashing, translucent, etc-- which you can filter for in the stockpile settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tuna-Fish posted:

FYI for the next time, building destroyers can only break things on the same z-level as themselves, so locked hatch covers protect you from any nasty surprises from below. Always build them before you start digging deep.

I tested this with a bronze colussus recently and it seemed exceptionally uninterested in breaking any furniture or a forbidden door on the same z-level as it, so either my assumption that bronze colossi are building destroyers is wrong or the steam version broke even the concept of building destruction

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Telsa Cola posted:

It's incredibly weighted towards dwarves having a preference for them, as well as idle dwarves nearby.
Surely in my fort of 200 there is one dwarf that likes hedgehogs, sparrows or bushtits.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Surely in my fort of 200 there is one dwarf that likes hedgehogs, sparrows or bushtits.

Nobody wanted the giant cougar I bought from the elves :(

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can anyone tell me what the "doomed one" tag on some of these visitors are?

One of them basically just fought an Ettin and won by himself and took absolutely no damage

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DarkAvenger211 posted:

One of them basically just fought an Ettin and won by himself and took absolutely no damage
Do they have blue names? Sounds like intelligent undead.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Likely undead of some sort though in theory it could also be a demon. If it's oozing poo poo try not to get it on your dwarves.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
My current fortress has entered its fifth year and I have made some amusing discoveries that I will share.

The first, and most notable, is that when checking the kitchen to unmark things from being cooked before starting production of lavish meals, I noticed I had gently caress all in the way of the standard dwarven drink staples. Very little dwarven wine, rum, beer, and ale. Instead, it turned out that a full half of my drinks stockpile came from brewing blackberries that I had grown on a whim in a small 5x5 farming patch outside the front door, inside my large walled in surface fortification. The rest was from brewed stuff from plant gathering and from stuff bought from caravans.

The second was my woodcutter nearly died of thirst after he cut his thumb. Thankfully, screw pumps purify water so I was able to harvest some from two stagnant surface ponds into a reservoir and build a well. After that the diagnostician finally got off his arse and went "yep, you cut your thumb" and had some animal caretaker dude sew it up. Now they're back chopping down the trees that try to grow inside my surface fortification and annoying the elves.

The third was the dumb moment of realisation I had when, after agonising over my limited ability to get more stone given there are 40z levels between the surface and the magma sea, and I don't want to pierce the caverns, I noticed that I was digging into the side of a loving mountain volcano and I could dig up. :doh:

The fourth is that the big threat of overpopulation is not the dreaded cat menace, but in fact the horrid creature known as man's best friend: Dog. I embarked with a breeding pair of cats and a breeding pair of dogs. By summer of the fourth year, I had 17 cats. I had 73 dogs. Turns out cats wander around the fortress killing vermin, while dogs spend all their time making puppies in your temple. I renamed four of the dogs to denote that they were for making new dogs, and then sent the others to the butchers shop to play with the bones. Now everyone in my fort can take a bath with Fido.

The dwarven and elven caravans have decided that they are going to be useless and bring me nothing but food. The elves are understandable, but I keep requesting logs and flux from the dwarves and they keep instead bringing me six wagons of meat, fish, fruits, and vegetables. What's worse, every loving time the dwarves show up they promote my noble and I have to upgrade their poo poo! Thankfully my noble doesn't do any dumb mandates or demands.

Oh, and I watched a dwarf construct a wall diagonally into a corner. That was amazing! They're learning. I have, at long last, hope that one day they will learn fire bad.

On the happiness front, my dwarves are mostly happy. Turns out good meals and loving great bedrooms make them happy. I have yet to have a child involved injury incompatible with life in my fortress.

Now: Any advice on dealing with having over 3000 bars of copper and 2000 bars of silver? (Do not even get me started on the lead and zinc) Making crafts and armour from five magma forges doesn't even come close to stemming the tide, and there is no way in hell I am shutting down any of my five magma smelters given how much ore I have left.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I tested this with a bronze colussus recently and it seemed exceptionally uninterested in breaking any furniture or a forbidden door on the same z-level as it, so either my assumption that bronze colossi are building destroyers is wrong or the steam version broke even the concept of building destruction

Yeah I don’t think building destroyers are working right now but I’m trying to build like they will work sometime in the future. It’s still super easy to block them from anywhere with a raised bridge (even a bridge over nothing since the raised bridge itself counts as a constructed wall, which is unbreakable)

Like basically I don’t want there to be a “building destroyers work now” patch and all of a sudden a bunch of forgotten beasts are in my fortress because I just locked them up behind doors

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This fort is extremely safe.

It has been so safe that I set up a bunch of repeating work orders early on and forgot about them :(

:sigh: First-Mountain problems.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

Now: Any advice on dealing with having over 3000 bars of copper and 2000 bars of silver? (Do not even get me started on the lead and zinc) Making crafts and armour from five magma forges doesn't even come close to stemming the tide, and there is no way in hell I am shutting down any of my five magma smelters given how much ore I have left.

An absolute shitload of brass and billon statues? Maybe pierce the cavern layer and protect the entrance with a million metal cage traps and hope to catch something neat to try and domesticate?

gently caress it, just start paving all your floors with silver, that level of conspicuous excess seems to send dwarves over the moon with joy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

deep dish peat moss posted:

This fort is extremely safe.

It has been so safe that I set up a bunch of repeating work orders early on and forgot about them :(

:sigh: First-Mountain problems.

Do us a favour and don't animate any brooms to do your sweeping for you

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I can't wait for them to implement magics other than necromancy

Speaking of, is there a roadmap?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm only on board with a magic system if it uses AD&D 2e spell effect rules (i.e. fireballs expand through hallways to fill their entire volume, lightning bolts bounce around). Need to lose an entire military to some rear end in a top hat fireballing a spider

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Broken Cog posted:

Technically there's this. But it is probably mega outdated at the moment.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Do us a favour and don't animate any brooms to do your sweeping for you

Get this: I have been messing with a CheatEngine script that makes hauling instant - when dwarves go to seek out an item to haul, or bring it to a stockpile, they teleport immediately to the location. Except it doesn't work right, because when a dwarf teleports this way, especially while carrying an item, sometimes they leave behind an invisible, unselectable ghost entity that blocks walls and furniture from being built on that tile.

So to visitors of my fort it looks like there are rocks and logs and items flying through the tunnels at hyperspeed on their own all the time, and they pass by an invisible entity every few tiles that doesn't do anything except we know it's there because it will not allow us to build anything here

Fantasia Fort is in full swing :hellyeah:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I can't wait for them to implement magics other than necromancy

It's hard to predict anything more than a few years in advance, so there's no telling what will be in the next update.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

I'm only on board with a magic system if it uses AD&D 2e spell effect rules (i.e. fireballs expand through hallways to fill their entire volume, lightning bolts bounce around). Need to lose an entire military to some rear end in a top hat fireballing a spider

Considering how fire and web works at the moment, I would expect nothing less.

Also let me accidentally freeze my entire fortress guard in ice.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Alright, I'd really like to build a waterfall/mist system for my tavern but it mostly just filled the room with water and put mud everywhere.

Z+3

Z+1

Z0 (Tavern Level)

Z-1

I've never done this before, but I figured this should have taken care of it. Apparently not, since things just flooded and it didn't even make all that much mist. What's wrong with my setup?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Make the drain several z-levels deep, otherwise it fills to 7/7 underneath the grates, and starts splashing water everywhere before it can drain out.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
1. when you start building your fort do you have a planned layout already? just making it up as you go?

2. what are your priorities for getting "set up"? farms, workshops, dorm? some other order? just curious how you think through "progressing" your fort

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
1. No plan survives first contact with the embark. Every time I go in with a plan something dumb happens like finding the magma sea two z levels down or a nest of dragons or even just mundane things like "the only water is a 1x2 brackish pool" and I need to figure poo poo out

2. While I get workshops down asap I don't rush to set up the workshop area. Usually it's

• big underground space to unload the wagon
  • ideally find someplace with dirt to throw down some initial farms
  • dormitory
  • cage traps and a drawbridge to pretend to secure the entrance
  • dining hall
  • pasture for grazers so the dining hall doesn't result in them all starving
  • stills
  • whatever strikes my fancy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I usually wing it, but the first things I do for each fort is to set up a carpenter and stoneworker outside the digging spot to start cranking out beds and doors, tables and thrones.
Then while I'm digging down to where I usually set up my depot, I dig out a room in dirt to set up an early farm, and also a quick dormitory until I get bedrooms set up. I usually convert this room to a pasture later on when I set up farms in the caverns.

After the depot area, I usually just do whatever, the only layout I reuse for most forts is my bedroom layout.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone know why my dwarves keep dying of dehydration?

A few of them have died on this floor recently, either in the tavern or in the hospital (not as patients, just hanging out there because it's a meeting area?)

But if they just went two floors up the stairs, they'd be right here:

The entire coastline and the pier I've built are marked as water sources and it's not saltwater. I have buckets and mugs and 1000+ units of alcohol.

They also die of dehydration in the bedroom floor, which is the floor between the two above:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Probably dying of thirst trying to cross those ginormous rooms to get a *plump helmet biscuit*

Is the room with four beds your hospital?

e: Also drat put some bins in those stockpiles

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 4, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the main thing I do to future proof is leave a few blank floors between the bottom of the aquifer and where I actually start building

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Asterite34 posted:

An absolute shitload of brass and billon statues? Maybe pierce the cavern layer and protect the entrance with a million metal cage traps and hope to catch something neat to try and domesticate?

gently caress it, just start paving all your floors with silver, that level of conspicuous excess seems to send dwarves over the moon with joy

giant brass (spiked) balls

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

No idea about the dehydration, but is there some benefit to engraving your hallways that I'm unaware of? Especially before all your bedrooms? My understanding is engravings affect room value, so are good for bedrooms, temples, guildhalls etc, but don't give any happy thoughts for being nearby and are therefore useless outside of rooms.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wafflecopper posted:

No idea about the dehydration, but is there some benefit to engraving your hallways that I'm unaware of? Especially before all your bedrooms? My understanding is engravings affect room value, so are good for bedrooms, temples, guildhalls etc, but don't give any happy thoughts for being nearby and are therefore useless outside of rooms.

I do it to train the engravers

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nessus posted:

Probably dying of thirst trying to cross those ginormous rooms to get a *plump helmet biscuit*

Is the room with four beds your hospital?

e: Also drat put some bins in those stockpiles

That picture is after cleaning up the bin overflow!

The bars are waiting to be hauled into off-screen bins :ohdear:

And yes the hospital is the makeshift room with 4 beds. I am waiting for more beds to be built because I had just built 150 for all the bedrooms! I haven't had time to put anything else together for it yet but I also haven't needed it.

Also I am cheating for ultra-fast stockpiling and hauling in this fort, because I want to get everything done before my fort succumbs to FPS death, so I'm treating everything as if distance doesn't matter :colbert:

Wafflecopper posted:

I eventually engrave every tile, both for the skill training and because the engraving process makes dwarves happy (practicing a skill, creating art, seeing all the nearby art)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 4, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Today I leaned a major oil company has catastrophically flooded the fortress IRL at least once, thanks SAL Spaceflight thread!

haveblue posted:

If you can't wait that long, pick one of those empty mines and re-enact the Lake Peignur disaster. Free deep lake overnight!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I do kind of wish there was a mining mode which would let you automine any stone, not just economic stones. Like you don't want to have the autominer be able to select granite by default but I'd love to be able to declare bauxite and kimberlite autominable to get at the gems they're hiding.

DFHack expects to have a release next month, patience, patience.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do Tower-caps eventually die? I'm thinking of using one as a makeshift bridge between my setups in the caves.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

A few of them have died on this floor recently, either in the tavern or in the hospital (not as patients, just hanging out there because it's a meeting area?)

The entire coastline and the pier I've built are marked as water sources and it's not saltwater. I have buckets and mugs and 1000+ units of alcohol.

They also die of dehydration in the bedroom floor, which is the floor between the two above:

Probably pretty good money on your cheat engine script you mentioned earlier loving up something to do with hauling to get the mugs or whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah if you're using a cheat thing it's probably causing some subtle break. Otherwise I was gonna say your guys in the hospital might be demanding water and not getting it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In reading about thirst on the wiki, I found out why newborn babies are fearsome tantrum monsters.

"Any baby being carried by its mother will effectively leech drink from her, causing her to become thirsty at double the usual rate. This does not, however, count as alcohol - when a baby is close to 1 year old, it will have severe withdrawal."

That fort died to hag shamans who killed 70 dwarves instantly and rose them all as zombies :( No dehydration in the new fort though. I think it was probably a weird mod thing more than the cheatengine script, because that is fine in other forts and works well as a creative mode.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Got an interesting embark where my first cavern was 10 layers down, hit it as soon as I punched through the topmost aquifer. Then I got the second cavern 2 layers below the first as I was planning to dig out some room underneath.

Maybe I'll try one of those "Build within the cavern" setups.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah I don’t think building destroyers are working right now but I’m trying to build like they will work sometime in the future. It’s still super easy to block them from anywhere with a raised bridge (even a bridge over nothing since the raised bridge itself counts as a constructed wall, which is unbreakable)

Like basically I don’t want there to be a “building destroyers work now” patch and all of a sudden a bunch of forgotten beasts are in my fortress because I just locked them up behind doors

Yeah, I've been using z-levels as locks for everything, so either that remains viable even once building destruction is back in, or it doesn't and everything in my fort dies in a week guaranteed, guess we'll find out which it is

I had a dwarf die unexpectedly of dehydration after I unlocked both sides of an airlock accidentally and after looking into it and seeing like 50 dwarves carrying, very slowly, war jabberer skeletons to the dump and complaining about being incredibly thirsty while still hauling, I'm like 80% sure that dwarves can accidentally haul themselves to death because they refuse to drop the thing they're carrying to get water/booze. I don't know if that applies to everything or just refuse/dumping corpses or what, I haven't super dug into it yet.

I've got 200 hours /played and found out right now that you can make rock bins instead of just wood/metal. Whoops.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've got 200 hours /played and found out right now that you can make rock bins instead of just wood/metal. Whoops.

Pretty sure you can't, at least not without mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Magil Zeal posted:

Pretty sure you can't, at least not without mods.

alas, I am a fool twice over