Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

WildZeo posted:

How are you guys finding all these rad weapons, I've got a 30 Zealot and Ogryn and have never seen anything higher than around 400 score blue items in the store. Can you only get purple and orange from Melk?

Well you can upgrade weapons at the crafting place to the next level of rarity so that's probably the main way to get the best stuff cause you can pick something with the best stats at any rarity level and then upgrade it over time. I've been given purple and orange stuff as emperors gifts as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

WildZeo posted:

How are you guys finding all these rad weapons, I've got a 30 Zealot and Ogryn and have never seen anything higher than around 400 score blue items in the store. Can you only get purple and orange from Melk?

Look for items that have a base stat score of 350-380 and then upgrade them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
From what I can tell mobility on guns is a good dump stat, feel free to use a low mobility gun with 80's in other stats.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2023

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Evil Kit posted:

I hecking love Tyranids but I'm be kind of disappointed if they used any actual Tyranid monsters as that's really only supposed to happen when you've got a hive fleet actually on the world and then you've got bigger problems than a minor Chaos infestation.

A genestealer cult would be cool at to fight, I'd be very interested how they'd incorporate the various bits. Also would feel weird about any purestrain genestealer showing up. Been a while since I stayed up to date with the lore but pretty sure if you have purestrain stealers around a planet is already basically hosed cause a hive fleet is on the way.

I think there's been recent talk in lore of Nurgle taking up space in a section of the Tyranid swarm, and the Hive Mind looking like it was making GBS threads bricks about it. If they're going down that route with this game, it may be an interesting way to take it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The right blessings can change the math on what makes a weapon good. The best autopistol I have is only a 310, but it has cavalcade plus the blessing that adds huge stacks of power based on the number of enemies you stagger. It's a horde ripper.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I think there's been recent talk in lore of Nurgle taking up space in a section of the Tyranid swarm, and the Hive Mind looking like it was making GBS threads bricks about it. If they're going down that route with this game, it may be an interesting way to take it.

That sounds horrifying in a good way. :stonklol:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I installed that chrome extension for the Atoma site, works great but it logs me out whenever I close Chrome. Is there an option somewhere to stay logged in?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Arghy posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/101d0gz/latest_update_on_the_update_situation/

The fact that 10cent now has majority shares is making me very nervous and i'm definitely not putting anymore money into this game until the devs prove that it won't become another fortnite clone.

Wait, how on earth would that happen?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

WildZeo posted:

The best way to get 'good' items is to find a blue item, of a type you want, with a base stat score of 350+, and a blessing you actually want. You can then upgrade it to Orange and hope the second perk is blessing is good, and then reroll one perk until you get one you want. Emperor's Gifts are a crapshoot but at least can be purple/orange. Melk is a waste of time. If you play like a normal amount you'll probably have enough melk bucks to buy a weapon once every other week, maybe every week if you're diligent, and that's assuming there's anything for sale worth buying. He's worth checking if you have the currency but it's really not a good reliable source of gear.

Typical Pubbie posted:

The right blessings can change the math on what makes a weapon good. The best autopistol I have is only a 310, but it has cavalcade plus the blessing that adds huge stacks of power based on the number of enemies you stagger. It's a horde ripper.

Weapon stats are a good eyeball but they're hardly definitive. A 10% difference in the damage stat can have very little impact on the actual damage out put, maybe a couple of points of damage in some cases. As somebody pointed out earlier some stats are just dumps and don't even matter. So "aim for 350+" is good advice but it's entirely possible for a weapon to have low base stats and still be very good thanks to blessings and perks.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 3, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

What I’ve found is that Melk weapons tend to have higher quality blessings (some blessings can vary in quality, like Charmed Reload gives you 4-10 bullets per crit). But you won’t get stuff with high ilevel from melk very often.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not going to pay attention to melk until there's more than a 50-50 chance the weekly missions register progress

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You're far less likely to find high base power items from Melk but it does happen. Just the fact it refreshes every 24h instead of 1 hour kinda makes it harder to hit. It'll probably be good for finding high quality blessings to rip when that crafting bit gets implemented.

I saw a 380 Stubber with some pretty nuts blessings that I couldn't buy because I was 200 short after weeklies. After I rerolled off some of the more lucrative ones :negative: .

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Okay the bug where that revolver blessing that gives you crit for missing chambers applying to melee is clearly unintentional but it rips on Zealot dagger. I'm actually getting use out of that cool down on crit feat.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
As a Warhammer 40k neophyte, aren't pure genestealers able to easily pierce space marine armor? How are we supposed to kill something that deadly?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

As a Warhammer 40k neophyte, aren't pure genestealers able to easily pierce space marine armor? How are we supposed to kill something that deadly?

Trust in the God-Emperor!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Shoot them

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Typical Pubbie posted:

Trust in the God-Emperor!

Emp-rah!

:hmmyes:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mesadoram posted:

If the lore wants them to, they can.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The effectiveness of weapons and armor in 40K is determined primarily by which side the current author likes more.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's simple, ++REDACTED: BY ORDER OF THE INQUISITION++

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
A Genestealer would be a miniboss right? It would probably play similar to the Daemonhost, overwhelming melee attacks on one player

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mesadoram posted:

On the various versions of the tabletop game, mostly yes. In Space Hulk they cut through Terminators, even.

I'd be interested to know how much GW get involved in decisions like that, though. Apparently they are red-hot on making sure their licensees hit the right tone and atmosphere and don't do any grievous damage to The Lore™. So presumably we wouldn't get the Rejects facing down Hive Tyrants or Great Unclean Ones or whatever. But I would guess they'd allow Fatshark to stretch things a bit, at least, for the sake of making the game fun. Dunno whether that would include a Genestealer boss.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Humans defeat genestealers all the time, theyre deadly but so is my reject.

on the tabletop, statistically an ogryn beats a chaos space marine in close combat 80% of the time and our squad can have 4 of them

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i like to think it's less author preference and more conditional competence. for example, usually when i play pvp in destiny i have a K/D ratio of like... 1. maybe 1.15. but sometimes i run hot and get 10. and it's not like i was using better gear or different tactics during those times, things just kinda fall into place.

so sure, genestealer claws can rip right through space marine armor, and in the right circumstances a single genestealer can slaughter an entire squad of terminators. but also, terminators have guns, and if they USE those guns properly, genestealers fall by the dozens before ever getting within range.

"genestealers are so deadly that they can kill a space marine" and "four inquisitorial assholes managed to kill a genestealer through overwhelming firepower" can both be true. all that matters are the circumstances in both situations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also I think it's a mistake to think of your characters in this game as 'just some dude', like yes from a biology and loadout perspective you're basically just imperial guard but what kind of point value do you need to be in table top to kill literally a couple thousand enemy units.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kith posted:

"four inquisitorial assholes managed to kill a genestealer through overwhelming firepower"

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Teamwork makes the dream work

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Enjoy posted:

Teamwork makes the dream work

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mendrian posted:

Also I think it's a mistake to think of your characters in this game as 'just some dude', like yes from a biology and loadout perspective you're basically just imperial guard but what kind of point value do you need to be in table top to kill literally a couple thousand enemy units.

Kith posted:

someone (cannot for the life of me remember who) hammered it out to justify all of the plot armor that Main Characters and their minions get and wound up neatly explaining some other stuff too. basically if you have enough influence you have SOME level of psychic mojo that you can pass on to other people by simply believing in them/needing something from them. orks call it waaaagh, imperium calls it the emperor's blessing, i don't know or care what the other factions call their version. it's brought up a couple times in Darktide, most notably when the characters wonder if they're at risk of infection or corruption. the adjutant for the mission basically tells them "we're not so stupid that we'd send operatives to tangle with Nurglite forces without blessing the gently caress out of them and then shoving them full of vaccines on top of that"

the moral of the story is that you don't have to be anything more than Some Guy to rip through thousands of gribblies if it's specifically your job to do so. it also helps that the Lost and the Damned tend to give up the Emperor's protections when they turn traitor, so switching teams tends to make you much more vulnerable to getting murdered unless you were already a significant badass in the first place (and therefore already have the favor of at least one Chaos God)

if your boss believes in you hard enough you get bonus WS/BS

it also helps that we have multiple support systems in place to help us shrug off damage and the enemy does not

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

My dude can already block a daemonhost in melee who aren't pushovers by any means by holding a knife diagonally in front of himself so he can probably do the same to a genestealer.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

astral when the gently caress are we going to get image support for thread titles

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Also in lore space hulks are cleared by regular joes and normal SM's but some places are too radioactive so they send in the terminators. Stealers are fast as gently caress and have claws that are basically power weapons but we already have power weapons too so its not a stretch.

There was a great lore mention i think in the space wolves books where the imperial navy and AM emptied an entire systems prison population and exhausted a hive worlds volunteers trying to clear a hulk before finally asking for the space marines to help. It'd be a super fun mission type where you had to balance speed with exploration for awesome pick ups from all the possible goodies on the space hulk.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Make sure you are using crouch and not toggle-crouch, the later will keep you crouch walking and kill your momentum and is terrible.

This was the problem and fundamentally changes the way sliding feels, going from awful to great, thank you very much for pointing it out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I hope fatshark begins to fix their poo poo soon because im not gonna put this slop down!! Just had some real fun damnation and heresy runs with my vet running bolter. OFC the fun was blowing apart elites and specials to save my team including a crazy 360 sequence where i deleted a bunch of high priority elites, wheeled around to finish a bulwark that had its shield opened, and then block pushed a burster that was coming around the corner which no one else was paying attention to. Then I got out of the mission and realized I'm still 500 plasteel short to do anything :mrwhite:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Few things in this game are as frustrating as when you're on Ogryn and have two vets in your squad and neither of them are capable of taking out snipers. Or they're capable, but they don't feel like sniper watch is their responsibility or anything. It's evened out by getting to watch them one by one try to crowd control while the Sniper picks them off.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Honestly if they just had the same "incentives" as VT2 to play, I'd be in. They did the incredibly lazy "uh win 100 games as each class" achievements and you know what? That's all I need! I just want to play the game and all you have to do is give me some kind of trackable meta progress. This could be weapons but weapon progression is out of your hands for base items (shop timer) and glacially slow for refinement (picking up mats in mission). So I often finish games not feeling like I've made progress. Some people have said that achievements have ruined us and you should just play to have fun, and yeah I agree but also if you put the fuckin progression systems in the game, people are gonna want to engage with that

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

AndyElusive posted:

Few things in this game are as frustrating as when you're on Ogryn and have two vets in your squad and neither of them are capable of taking out snipers. Or they're capable, but they don't feel like sniper watch is their responsibility or anything. It's evened out by getting to watch them one by one try to crowd control while the Sniper picks them off.

Box

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Box

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

They can be a bitch to spot sometimes, and often seem to insta shoot without setup. But yeah vets should def be prioritizing them. These non countersniping vets are scoundrels imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dandywalken posted:

They can be a bitch to spot sometimes, and often seem to insta shoot without setup. But yeah vets should def be prioritizing them. These non countersniping vets are scoundrels imo

Turning a corner and having a sniper instantly fire with no set up time is extremely disconcerting