Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

What part of the brewing process is this?

Hot taint goss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

kru posted:

loving hell, it is tracked!
The boss just wants him to have instant recall of random figures from a spreadsheet that he already has access to.

IN ANY other workplace, you'd do the exact same thing 'I do not have that information to hand, let me mail you it'

From other posters, I think the obvious solution to EFN’s drama is to replace the spreadsheet with a whiteboard in some obnoxious location. Does it go in the walk-in that is occasionally a literal death trap? Or maybe next to the keg lines that are never cleaned out? Right in the middle of the kitchen so he has to ask the head chef to borrow a marker might be a step too far.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Machai posted:

What part of the brewing process is this?

The result of sampling too much of EFN's product.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I think the solution is for people to just let other people post Dumb Work poo poo and go on with their day. I just like to read the stories.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The funny thing is that this little incident is not even drama. I'm not mad at him for it really. It was just a dumb thing I thought was weird. Some very dense posters ITT turned it into a whole dramatic narrative.

What I'm actually mad at him for is:

1. Not cleaning tap lines to the point that I have to do it because it's impacting my beer, then asking that I clean all taps including the guest taps because he's "too busy" to schedule out something that needs to be done biweekly. And besides, I'm "not doing anything".
2. Not cleaning the restaurant walk-in to the point that the wire wracks and tapline cleaning equipment were caked in mold so that I broke down and did as much of a deep clean as I could before New Year's break because (you guessed it) he was "too busy" to do it himself.
3. Literally tossing keg caps and other garbage on the floor regularly to the point that there are multiple piles in the walk-in.
4. Regularly spilling beer all over the walk-in floor and not cleaning it up to the point that it congeals into a syrup (often with the previously mentioned garbage stuck in it).
5. At some point right before or right after New Year's dropping a tray of salted meat on the floor and not doing anything because it's "too difficult to clean". So now there's mystery liquid all over the floor with rock salt scattered in a certain area with kegs stacked willy-nilly making moving around and taking inventory incredibly difficult.

I'm willing to help out but he's made it apparent that if I take care of it at all a. It'll become my duty b. He'll let it go to poo poo again within days and not lift a finger to clean up his own messes and c. He will never schedule time to maintain or keep the space in order. But it's probably just my refusal to understand cultural differences.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Today in Dumb poo poo your contracting agency does:

I've been in talks about a new contract for the new year and was hit up by an English company called InterEx about a contract from January 2nd and six months going forward. Now being outside the EU and me being inside the EU means writing invoices to them would be more than a hassle and I didn't wanna do the additional mountain of paperwork required. No matters I was reassured by their recruiter, we have a Danish company you can bill and it will all be fine.

Well guess what his compliance department told me today at loving end of business: Yeah naw we don't have this company. I am beyond pissed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol everyone from 1st shift, every single high-strung one of them, came back this morning in full-blown who gives a gently caress I'm gone on 2/24 and getting paid out mode

gonna be the most stress-free workplace I've ever been in, especially in manufacturing, for the next 3 months

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

Today in Dumb poo poo your contracting agency does:

I've been in talks about a new contract for the new year and was hit up by an English company called InterEx about a contract from January 2nd and six months going forward. Now being outside the EU and me being inside the EU means writing invoices to them would be more than a hassle and I didn't wanna do the additional mountain of paperwork required. No matters I was reassured by their recruiter, we have a Danish company you can bill and it will all be fine.

Well guess what his compliance department told me today at loving end of business: Yeah naw we don't have this company. I am beyond pissed.

Lol. WTF? Was their strategy something like "Well if they get far enough into it they'll probably just choose to follow through!" or what?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Orvin posted:

From other posters, I think the obvious solution to EFN’s drama is to replace the spreadsheet with a whiteboard in some obnoxious location. Does it go in the walk-in that is occasionally a literal death trap? Or maybe next to the keg lines that are never cleaned out? Right in the middle of the kitchen so he has to ask the head chef to borrow a marker might be a step too far.

Whiteboard on the ledge just outside the window

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Escape From Noise posted:

Lol. WTF? Was their strategy something like "Well if they get far enough into it they'll probably just choose to follow through!" or what?

I don't even know. I managed to receive a company laptop and access pass to the clients buildings so who even knows. I'm having a real frank conversation with the contracts agency tomorrow and it will not end well for anyone.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I don't even know. I managed to receive a company laptop and access pass to the clients buildings so who even knows. I'm having a real frank conversation with the contracts agency tomorrow and it will not end well for anyone.

Nobody wants to work anymore!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

kru posted:

Whiteboard on the ledge just outside the window

Imagine four whiteboards on the edge of a cliff...

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

The funny thing is that this little incident is not even drama. I'm not mad at him for it really. It was just a dumb thing I thought was weird. Some very dense posters ITT turned it into a whole dramatic narrative.

1. Not cleaning tap lines to the point that I have to do it because it's impacting my beer, then asking that I clean all taps including the guest taps because he's "too busy" to schedule out something that needs to be done biweekly. And besides, I'm "not doing anything".
2. Not cleaning the restaurant walk-in to the point that the wire wracks and tapline cleaning equipment were caked in mold so that I broke down and did as much of a deep clean as I could before New Year's break because (you guessed it) he was "too busy" to do it himself.
3. Literally tossing keg caps and other garbage on the floor regularly to the point that there are multiple piles in the walk-in.
4. Regularly spilling beer all over the walk-in floor and not cleaning it up to the point that it congeals into a syrup (often with the previously mentioned garbage stuck in it).
5. At some point right before or right after New Year's dropping a tray of salted meat on the floor and not doing anything because it's "too difficult to clean". So now there's mystery liquid all over the floor with rock salt scattered in a certain area with kegs stacked willy-nilly making moving around and taking inventory incredibly difficult.

I'm willing to help out but he's made it apparent that if I take care of it at all a. It'll become my duty b. He'll let it go to poo poo again within days and not lift a finger to clean up his own messes and c. He will never schedule time to maintain or keep the space in order. But it's probably just my refusal to understand cultural differences.

Um, there aren't public health agencies that do surprise inspections? Is it feasible to take pictures of this and show the owners? The mold thing is making me want to clean out my already clean refrigerator :stare:

I've dealt with colleagues who have access to information but are always just asking for it instead of looking, it's very irritating.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

Um, there aren't public health agencies that do surprise inspections? Is it feasible to take pictures of this and show the owners? The mold thing is making me want to clean out my already clean refrigerator :stare:

I've dealt with colleagues who have access to information but are always just asking for it instead of looking, it's very irritating.

Yeah. I have pictures. I'm going to keep bringing it up but I don't have a ton of confidence in it really going anywhere other than him getting a stern talking to or whatever. I considered calling the health department, but I'm pretty worried that would just lead nowhere but me losing my job.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

This is an ongoing battle in my brewery too - the bartenders and especially the taproom managers are basically trying to shift more and more of their non-serving work onto the brewers, and we're going "what the gently caress, we already make all the beer around here, you guys can scrub your own floors". It's pretty loving infuriating to be the only one scrubbing and cleaning things when the bar staff and owners are playing poker and drinking on shift.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

The company I work for seems to operate on a don't-ask don't-tell basis when we're paying contractors cross-borders and I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be doing that for numerous tax fraud reasons. One of my team we have to do all the contract stuff entirely off the books, but I'm not complaining because he's a really good guy and stealth moved to another country during covid lockdown and we just never told HR - if we did we'd lose 5 years of experience instantly due to corp policy. I know another team who has a guy who remotes in from a tropical beach somewhere when he's supposed to be in Paris, and another who remotes in from Iceland when we can only legally pay him if he's resident in Germany.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Motronic posted:

Unless you're the only employee in the brewery and nobody else can reasonably know things like "which of these things on these orders went into which beer and how much of them" and "how much product did this end up making".

My specific examples will get argued because we're getting 1/4 of one side of a story....which seems to get more information strung in as criticism is made. It sounds like he's in a bad spot of not being given clear expectation and not having the experience to document, negotiate what is reasonable for his position and what is not and call out his employer on these things. Plus seeming a bunch of cultural stuff and failing at the fit in or gently caress off game.

You're assuming way too much of enm's situation. Everything enm has posted previously suggests the restaurant manager has a huge ego and is a moron. Is anyone surprised by a boss not reading emails that already have the answer the boss wants?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
With that posted brew goon whats the best thing to start with for a quick good home brew?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

With that posted brew goon whats the best thing to start with for a quick good home brew?

I would say British ale in general tends to be a lot more forgiving, but American pale ale isn't too challenging either. If you're doing all grain and don't care about step mashing saison can be done pretty easily as well because of a lack of temperature control. I haven't had a chance to work with it but Kviek yeast seems like a good way to brew without having to worry about temperature control. People are making all kinds of beer with that yeast lately.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Brown ale or pale ale. Relatively simple recipes, can easily be done with extract and steeping grains rather than all-grain, not complex processes, and fairly easy-to-handle yeast. I recommend trying an extract recipe before blowing a few hundred dollars on an all-grain setup only to find out you don't enjoy it. Kviek is a good way to ferment IPAs without temperature control, but a lot of people don't like the character that it adds to certain styles of beer. Besides, a yeast like US-05 or WY1968 will do just fine in a swamp cooler (tub of water with a t-shirt over the bucket/carboy for evaporative cooling). Light lagers like pilsners are definitely hardmode and I wouldn't start with them.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 3, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

This is an ongoing battle in my brewery too - the bartenders and especially the taproom managers are basically trying to shift more and more of their non-serving work onto the brewers, and we're going "what the gently caress, we already make all the beer around here, you guys can scrub your own floors". It's pretty loving infuriating to be the only one scrubbing and cleaning things when the bar staff and owners are playing poker and drinking on shift.

Yeah. I mean, I feel a bit of sympathy sometimes because I know they're short staffed, but then I go in the cold room and see the state of just utter disorganization it's in as well as the filth and I start getting pretty mad. This is stuff that he can schedule out to do. I'd be willing to chip in, but he'll just tell me that I should do it, not ever take part of the burden, and do nothing to help make cleaning easier, such as organizing the food item stacked on top of kegs, etc. Me helping also starts to feel useless when any progress I make on cleaning gets completely reversed because of poo poo like spilling beer all over the floor (how does he still not know how to tap a keg?) and not even bothering to do as little as run a mop over it really quickly. He hurt his hand recently and, again, I'd feel sympathy, but the mold issues and other problems were there well before then. Also he's a manager. He can have someone else do it.

Also, good point about the brown ale or pale ale.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Also he's a manager. He can have someone else do it.

This is the biggest thing that gets me about our taproom managers, they refuse to manage anything other than the bartender schedules and the other owners are too afraid of pissing them off to say anything to them about it. So people will bicker for hours on Slack while the other brewer and I get the actual work done. It's loving nonsense and it's just another example of why you don't trust techbros to start a business that requires actual labor to do.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I loving hated having to use Slack at the other brewery I worked at. I'm sure it's very useful in more technical fields, but it was loving useless for me trying to run a small brewery (and I mean small. I'm nowhere near your level). I used it one other time at that terrible mobile canning line job, but the way it was used in that context made total sense. We used it for daily check-in, to report and troubleshoot issues, and to give end of the day reports. Other than that it was something you could pretty much safely ignore over the course of the day. It was a way to keep tabs on and run support for different teams working all over Oregon and Washington.

At the brewery I was at it just got used as a tool for the owner to micromanage everyone while he took cycling trips with his buds to Nagoya or whatever, sometimes we got messages that would have been much better suited for email. Nothing like trying to contact the owner on Slack only to have him ignore messages. Then he'd freak out if we made decisions without him due to him not responding, but if we called him he'd get pissy at us for annoying him. But if he texted you at 6 am asking for the amount and variety of hops used in that IPA we brewed last month? Boy, you better believe he'd be pissed that you didn't respond quickly.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I loving hated having to use Slack at the other brewery I worked at. I'm sure it's very useful in more technical fields, but it was loving useless for me trying to run a small brewery (and I mean small. I'm nowhere near your level). I used it one other time at that terrible mobile canning line job, but the way it was used in that context made total sense. We used it for daily check-in, to report and troubleshoot issues, and to give end of the day reports. Other than that it was something you could pretty much safely ignore over the course of the day.

At the brewery I was at it just got used as a tool for the owner to micromanage everyone while he took cycling trips with his buds to Nagoya or whatever, sometimes we got messages that would have been much better suited for email. Nothing like trying to contact the owner on Slack only to have him ignore messages. Then he'd freak out if we made decisions without him due to him not responding, but if we called him he'd get pissy at us for annoying him. But if he texted you at 6 am asking for the amount and variety of hops used in that IPA we brewed last month? Boy, you better believe he'd be pissed that you didn't respond quickly.

We did like 400BBL last year, we're pretty small ourselves. And yeah, our owners mostly use it to distract themselves from their day jobs and have arguments over banal poo poo, frequently roping us both into it and keeping us from getting work done. It's absolute clownshoes chucklefuckery 90% of the time.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

We did like 400BBL last year, we're pretty small ourselves. And yeah, our owners mostly use it to distract themselves from their day jobs and have arguments over banal poo poo, frequently roping us both into it and keeping us from getting work done. It's absolute clownshoes chucklefuckery 90% of the time.

Yeah, but do any of the owners at your place use a (non pornographic) picture of a manga babe from an erotic manga as their Slack avatar?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, but do any of the owners at your place use a (non pornographic) picture of a manga babe from an erotic manga as their Slack avatar?

You have me beat there, thankfully.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

You have me beat there, thankfully.

He sure was... something. Finding out later that he named one of the beers after a pornographic manga about sexual assault sure was "fun".

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

He sure was... something. Finding out later that he named one of the beers after a pornographic manga about sexual assault sure was "fun".

I'm still not sure if that's better or worse than the owner who'd be at the brewery when we came in at 7AM, drinking with all the lights off, already drunk, because he wanted to avoid his wife and newborn kid. And sexually harassed a saleswoman out of the company.

Thankfully that place is gone now.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Struggle Snuggle Session Lager?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Struggle Snuggle Session Lager?

Belgian pale ale with some name referencing something called Crimson Girls. I only found out later because I was trying to remember something about the beer and couldn't remember the novella length name he gave it other than it included the words "crimson girl", so I typed that into search...

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm still not sure if that's better or worse than the owner who'd be at the brewery when we came in at 7AM, drinking with all the lights off, already drunk, because he wanted to avoid his wife and newborn kid. And sexually harassed a saleswoman out of the company.

Thankfully that place is gone now.

I'm not sure if that former boss ever sexually assaulted anyone, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he had.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Just asked my buddy what my chances are for the resume I sent him and he said, "and you work nightshift? 100%" so new year off to a good start

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cynic posted:

The company I work for seems to operate on a don't-ask don't-tell basis when we're paying contractors cross-borders and I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be doing that for numerous tax fraud reasons. One of my team we have to do all the contract stuff entirely off the books, but I'm not complaining because he's a really good guy and stealth moved to another country during covid lockdown and we just never told HR - if we did we'd lose 5 years of experience instantly due to corp policy. I know another team who has a guy who remotes in from a tropical beach somewhere when he's supposed to be in Paris, and another who remotes in from Iceland when we can only legally pay him if he's resident in Germany.

Thing is I have to write invoices and those have to meet a low bar of criteria for the danish tax authority

The real issue is the lies tho.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MrQwerty posted:

Just asked my buddy what my chances are for the resume I sent him and he said, "and you work nightshift? 100%" so new year off to a good start

That's good to see. You've been posting about the closure of the plant for a while and not everyone finds work in time even with that kind of runway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lazyfire posted:

That's good to see. You've been posting about the closure of the plant for a while and not everyone finds work in time even with that kind of runway.

Who knew I would turn being a roadie and drum tech for the drummer/my best friend of a local stoner metal band I saw all the time, into a career continuation when it was real important.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MrQwerty posted:

Who knew I would turn being a roadie and drum tech for the drummer/my best friend of a local stoner metal band I saw all the time, into a career continuation when it was real important.

It's always fun to see how the old network plays out for people. I moved 200+ miles for my wife's job that can ultimately be tied back to me running into a guy who was working for one of my former supervisors 10+ years ago.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Hey, what happened with the Tattoo Goon whose boss was living and making GBS threads in the back room of the parlor?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Hey, what happened with the Tattoo Goon whose boss was living and making GBS threads in the back room of the parlor?

Good question! I would also like an update.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bored posted:

Good question! I would also like an update.

Same, that was a bit of a ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cynic posted:

Update: I will not be contracting through that company. It seemed shady af and when a sales person seems shady they probably are. Long weekend for me I guess :v: