Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah apparently resin can be airtight. That's kind of what I figured it was like.

I fished out that busted lever filler I had and I can't help but think one could make something to convert it to a converter that screws together. I guess this is too niche.

I have a resin based 3d printer that I've never used. If this were still November, I'd probably try to plan to pull it out and try a few prints. Maybe I can find some time in 2023 to see if I can test waterproofing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah apparently resin can be airtight. That's kind of what I figured it was like.

I fished out that busted lever filler I had and I can't help but think one could make something to convert it to a converter that screws together. I guess this is too niche.

Note that resin can be pretty brittle, I don't think I'd trust a resin thread.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I know of at least one pen maker, Additive Pens, that 3D prints their barrels. I have to say, those helixes look pretty cool filled with ink. I also want to say that Brian Gray at Edison Pens has been messing around with 3D printing, but I might've just imagined that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have any opinions on the newer runs of Nahvalur pens? I like the colors on some of the Nautilus options but I don't know much about them except they used to be Narwhal and may have possibly changed their name due to a weird lawsuit with TWSBI? I didn't really follow what was going on there.

Also I haven't looked at inks in ages, any recommendations for a darker red or black-red? Same with dark green or black-green. I don't even know if "black-red" and "black-green" really make sense as descriptors but basically I'm looking for inks that are to red and green what, say, Iroshizuku Shin-Kai is to a standard/primary blue.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

For the green give Colorverse Crab Nebula a spin

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

For the red, look at Diamine Oxblood?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody have any opinions on the newer runs of Nahvalur pens? I like the colors on some of the Nautilus options but I don't know much about them except they used to be Narwhal and may have possibly changed their name due to a weird lawsuit with TWSBI? I didn't really follow what was going on there.

In terms of the pens, the bodies and mechanisms are great, but the nibs are a bit polarizing. Some people love them, some people hate them. I’m in the latter camp. Nibs are easy enough to swap for other Jowo #6s (doesn’t take the housing, you have to pull out the nib), but the feed can be a little quirky in what it keeps up with. I eventually got a diplomat nib in, and I’m happy.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

MockingQuantum posted:

Also I haven't looked at inks in ages, any recommendations for a darker red or black-red? Same with dark green or black-green. I don't even know if "black-red" and "black-green" really make sense as descriptors but basically I'm looking for inks that are to red and green what, say, Iroshizuku Shin-Kai is to a standard/primary blue.

Nahvalur, as far as I understand it, changed their name to be easier to search online but is still pronounced 'Narwhal'. At least that's what they told people during pen conventions when they made the announcement. The court case started because TWSBI claimed that Narwhal copied their piston design but it turned out that both TWSBI and Narwhal use the same piston mechanism from the late-1800's to early-1900's that is now in the public domain as the copyright was never renewed.

Nahvalur make fantastic pens and they haven't changed any of their manufacturing during the name change, so the only difference between the two will be the name. I have a Nautilus that I love to death and would heartily recommend one if you like larger pens.

For dark green inks, my favorite is probably 3 Oyster's Black Moss, though Monteverde Jade Noir is a close second. Dark reds are a little trickier but I like Diamine Writer's Blood, Monteverde Passion, or Diamine Oxblood.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The stories I was reading online from people that did 1:1 comparisons are that the mechanisms inside the knockoffs are very poor. Do you think this is somebody just trying to overjustify themselves or something? It sounded to me like it's a very poor, deliberate knockoff versus somebody selling off QC rejects or just outright letting the factory run amok and sell some on their own.

I have both the vanishing point and the moon man/mahjohn knock off of it.

It's more than QC, it's definitely a clone. I have a VP in black and gold and the knocks in blue, red, white, and matte black.

The finish on the white and blue ones are already chipping and flaking off. The matte and red ones are holding up ok.

But the nib units are entirely different beasts. They have different stamp/clamping footprints and are seated differently. Of the 4 moon man I have, 2 of them need to have silicone grease applied to wear the nib and barrel meet, otherwise I'd click to open the pen and it would dump ink all over me.

The nib qualities are also pretty different. I didn't notice much other than the moon man pens are a little drier at first, but after a few months, I realize I can pick up the VP and it'll write immediately even if it elsat for weeks. The moonmans are hit and miss. 2 of them start pretty quickly, one of them takes some shaking to get flowing, and one seems to just be hellbent on shredding paper instead of flowing ink.

I'm still testing different inks to see how big a difference that makes and Diamine's Onyx black seems to be made of tar. That stuff is dry on even my wettest nibs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Worth it for the name alone.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NiftyBottle posted:

In terms of the pens, the bodies and mechanisms are great, but the nibs are a bit polarizing. Some people love them, some people hate them. I’m in the latter camp. Nibs are easy enough to swap for other Jowo #6s (doesn’t take the housing, you have to pull out the nib), but the feed can be a little quirky in what it keeps up with. I eventually got a diplomat nib in, and I’m happy.
Me too, one of the haters of the sounds-like-Narwhal nibs and I need to find someone who will sell me a few Jowo nibs in Europe for less than a kidney, I am content using blank ones.
The pens are really cool tho and well made. In my collection:
- The Peter Pen, series 2.
- A Nautilus in Melandia Blue
- A Nautilus Voyager in New York

So I'd love them to write well / properly and get a M, B and stub 1.1 for them...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for all the ink recommendations! A friend has a bottle of Oxblood they don't want so I'm going to grab that off them, though I'll keep Writer's Blood and Crab Nebula in mind for the future, they both look good and Colorverse has been probably my favorite ink company in recent years.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
One day I will find a Parker Sonnet that doesn't write like complete and utter poo poo

Today was not that day

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a name for this finish style?

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/co...t-restored.html

I like that vertical striping effect of these pens but I'd rather get a new one with a converter or piston instead of a sac. It doesn't look like anybody is readily reproducing the style.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Of the top of my head, a classic stripey Pelikan Souverän is the closest mass market pen available.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I lost a pen and after a few days I found it in the pocket of my hoodie in the dirty laundry hamper. Seems we got lucky there was too much laundry for the hoodie to fit, else everything would have been slightly green.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I'm selling some of my pens over in SA mart if anyone's looking for a new pen for the new year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021056

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Chip McFuck posted:

I'm selling some of my pens over in SA mart if anyone's looking for a new pen for the new year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021056

May I suggest that you ship your pens in something sturdier than a padded envelope? An old cardboard box or a length of plastic tubing go a long way towards protecting pens in transit.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Oh whoops, for some reason I forgot to write that they're shipping in generic pen boxes. I'll add that in.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chip McFuck posted:

Oh whoops, for some reason I forgot to write that they're shipping in generic pen boxes. I'll add that in.

Cool, good luck with the sales!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

howe_sam posted:

Of the top of my head, a classic stripey Pelikan Souverän is the closest mass market pen available.

Yeah it's at least got the stripes but not all the way and none of the variation that I see inside individual stripes. You'd think somebody would still have something like that so I wonder if that stuff is asbestos or something.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah it's at least got the stripes but not all the way and none of the variation that I see inside individual stripes. You'd think somebody would still have something like that so I wonder if that stuff is asbestos or something.

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/montegrappa-extra-otto-shiny-lines-limited-edition-fountain-pen/

Maybe this? You can search online all day for striped celluloid pens but the problem is that they really don't make celluloid like they used to anymore. Vintage celluloid rods for penmaking are in hot demand. Look at the prices for Omas Arco material - when they went bust ASC got the remaining rods and they've been printing money with them since.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Real, old school celluloid (cellulose nitrate plasticized with camphor) is difficult and time-consuming to make. Rod stock large enough to make pens can take a year or more to fully plasticize and solidify, and during this process it's extremely flammable. Hell, it can be pretty flammable after it's solidified as well - ask any old-school film buff about the horrors of old films being destroyed in fires.

There's a reason it's pretty rare these days.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is that particular aesthetic also hard to do with modern materials? I figured somebody would have given it a shot even as some limited edition commemorative piece. I have seen Parker and Scheaffer had some like this, for example.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is that particular aesthetic also hard to do with modern materials? I figured somebody would have given it a shot even as some limited edition commemorative piece. I have seen Parker and Scheaffer had some like this, for example.

I'm no materials expert but I can't think of any modern vertical striped pen other than that Montegrappa I dug up above. It doesn't seem like anyone makes acrylic or celluloid acetate rods in that style, so I would assume it's difficult or impossible. Parker and Sheaffer certainly haven't done anything in this style for over 50 years.

I think your best bet is to get a well-restored Sheaffer vac-filler, which while dating from the 30s or 40s works just as well as a modern Pilot 823 when properly repaired. I'd see what Stacy Hills has in stock at https://www.paperwantsapen.com (looks empty at the moment but you can message him on Instagram) or Ron Zorn at https://www.mainstreetpens.com I've bought good stuff from both. I see Peyton Street Pens https://www.peytonstreetpens.com has a nice stripey Sheaffer Balance Lifetime vac-filler for $135, which looks like a solid deal, but I haven't bought anything from them before.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Peyton Street Pens is a reliable seller, I've bought from them a few times with no issues.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
You might ask a custom pen blank maker, but I have a feeling that it's the layering of the material that's the problem with modern methods. There are some very pretty pen blanks with with beautiful layering and mixing of colors and materials, but that straight line pattern might be the issue.

Anyway, I wrote some belated Christmas cards tonight with a glass dip pen and Diamine Blue Peppermint and it's very pretty.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

grack posted:

Peyton Street Pens is a reliable seller, I've bought from them a few times with no issues.

Seconding this. I’ve bought from them and I’ve met them several times at the SF Pen Show too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

You can definitely do an arco-esque striation pattern in acrylic. Edison Pen has some examples, but that's not quite the same as that striated celluloid Sheaffer and Parker were using back in the day.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh those Edisons are getting close but not quite. I have a few eBay things going on, but I'll fall back on the other sites. I'm assuming if I get a sac filler on eBay (beggars can't be choosers) that I'll have to deal with that. Hopefully this time it would be with somebody who didn't use superglue.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

The new Magna Carta Prince and Baron pens might be closer to what you're looking for. Here's a Prince in brown striped acrylic but they also come in grey. Pretty sharp looking.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That looks great from the side but the grain on the top isn't my style. I've seen a few pulling off that kind of thing though. I guess the blanks are just strips instead of slices going around the blank.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hello, thread - happy new year!

I got this back from the repairer last week, and though the thread might like to see it. It's a Sheaffer PFM5 - Pen For Men! It belonged to my grandfather, and the filling mechanism had packed. It's a funny mechanism, too - a "snorkel" that emerges from the nib-holder.

(I should have given the nib a little wipe-down first, sorry!)

It lays down the smoothest, wettest line of ink - it's a pleasure to write with, really my favourite pen. Sorry for the cheap-rear end paper I had to hand!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ok, this one is for all of you addicts out there to make you feel normal:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/103cphm/sotc_dear_god_this_happened_in_one_year/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teach posted:

Hello, thread - happy new year!

I got this back from the repairer last week, and though the thread might like to see it. It's a Sheaffer PFM5 - Pen For Men! It belonged to my grandfather, and the filling mechanism had packed. It's a funny mechanism, too - a "snorkel" that emerges from the nib-holder.

(I should have given the nib a little wipe-down first, sorry!)

It lays down the smoothest, wettest line of ink - it's a pleasure to write with, really my favourite pen. Sorry for the cheap-rear end paper I had to hand!

Vac fillers are always fascinating, that's cool you were able to get that repaired!

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Vac fillers are always fascinating, that's cool you were able to get that repaired!

It's a tad pedantic but the PFM's filler is normally referred to as a touchdown filler, which it shares with some other Sheaffers (with and without snorkels). As shown in the diagram, touchdown fillers manipulate a rubber sac with just air pressure. The bit you push down on doesn't touch the sac at all. I'm not aware of anyone other than Sheaffer using this design.

Vacuum or vac fillers generally mean pens like Sheaffer's earlier pens, or the modern Pilot 823 - pushing down on the knob pushes a flexible washer through the ink reservoir, creating a vacuum behind the washer which is broken when the washer reaches a slightly wider bit of the reservoir. This design was pioneered by Onoto and is fairly common into the present day across a bunch of brands.

There's also Parker's Vacumatic, where a spring loaded plunger at the rear of the pen manipulates a diaphragm that effectively makes the ink reservoir bigger and smaller, allowing ink to be sucked up through a breather tube. It's a rather fiddly design and Parker was the only notable maker using it, until a couple years ago some Chinese pens turned up, first with a close copy of the original design, and then with a greatly improved version using o-rings instead of a diaphragm.

I'd post pics but I'm phone posting. Hope the wall of text isn't too much!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dad Hominem posted:

There's also Parker's Vacumatic, where a spring loaded plunger at the rear of the pen It's a rather fiddly design and Parker was the only notable maker using it, until a couple years ago some Chinese pens turned up, first with a close copy of the original design, and then with a greatly improved version using o-rings instead of a diaphragm.

Edison also does a version of this with their draw filler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiFJesLZESI

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dad Hominem posted:

It's a tad pedantic but the PFM's filler is normally referred to as a touchdown filler, which it shares with some other Sheaffers (with and without snorkels). As shown in the diagram, touchdown fillers manipulate a rubber sac with just air pressure. The bit you push down on doesn't touch the sac at all. I'm not aware of anyone other than Sheaffer using this design.

Err, no. All PFMs are Snorkel fillers.

https://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferPFM.htm

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The touchdown part refers to how the suction mechanism works, the snorkel thing is separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dad Hominem posted:

Vacuum or vac fillers generally mean pens like Sheaffer's earlier pens, or the modern Pilot 823 - pushing down on the knob pushes a flexible washer through the ink reservoir, creating a vacuum behind the washer which is broken when the washer reaches a slightly wider bit of the reservoir. This design was pioneered by Onoto and is fairly common into the present day across a bunch of brands.

There's also Parker's Vacumatic, where a spring loaded plunger at the rear of the pen manipulates a diaphragm that effectively makes the ink reservoir bigger and smaller, allowing ink to be sucked up through a breather tube. It's a rather fiddly design and Parker was the only notable maker using it, until a couple years ago some Chinese pens turned up, first with a close copy of the original design, and then with a greatly improved version using o-rings instead of a diaphragm.

I'd post pics but I'm phone posting. Hope the wall of text isn't too much!

there's nothing too pedantic for the pen thread