Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Rexxed posted:

AntOnline has the 5800X3D for $300 also:
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1446233

I'm trying really hard not to buy one but my reasons for doing it keep adding up.

snipe: you should get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Toalpaz posted:

Hey, I wanna upgrade the 1800x to an okay midrange CPU. Is 7600x worth the 50% price increase over a sale 5600x?

Can't drop it in to to the same motherboard due to the new socket, so it's not just a 50% increase.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Toalpaz posted:

Hey, I wanna upgrade the 1800x to an okay midrange CPU. Is 7600x worth the 50% price increase over a sale 5600x?

A quick search has the 5600x at about $210-230, where the 7600x is $240 on Amazon right now (US prices).

IF you have easy-ish access to a MicroCenter, they have the 7600X with a single stick of 16gb DDR5 for 250, and a hundred more gets you the 7700x with 32gb (2 sticks).

As noted, you will have to get a new motherboard, and a quick look at Newegg has the cheapest one at $160.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huh, the 7600x sure got affordable fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 7600X’s price by itself was never the issue, motherboards are still stupid.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm still salty that the price reduction coincided with an end to Newegg's combo deals. There was effectively a price increase on the AM5 platform cost, and those combo deals never came back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Koskun posted:

A quick search has the 5600x at about $210-230, where the 7600x is $240 on Amazon right now (US prices).

IF you have easy-ish access to a MicroCenter, they have the 7600X with a single stick of 16gb DDR5 for 250, and a hundred more gets you the 7700x with 32gb (2 sticks).

As noted, you will have to get a new motherboard, and a quick look at Newegg has the cheapest one at $160.

Microcenter also has the 5600X for $160, or 5800X3D for $320 which is equal or better to the 7600x in gaming. Think that old flowchart I made as a goof is still pretty true:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
At least the Purgatory Sphere is warm and cozy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bringing a beanbag the Purgatory Sphere so I'll be comfortable.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Wooooo! Flow chart worked for me.

Upgraded from 3600 to 5800x3d. Fingers crossed I don't burn down my SFF.

Glad I can give AM5 a hard pass for a few years.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

BrassRoots posted:

I just upgraded my sff to a 5800x3d and it was for sure worth. Try out PBO2 Tuner. I can do a -30 on all cores on my cpu and it helped with temps a ton. On a side note, I had to update my bios and my riser cable is only 3.0 so I had to tear everything apart so I could plug the gpu in directly to set pcie at 3.0 and holy poo poo I'm not buying another case with a riser cable.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
We're expecting news of the X3D parts during CES, right?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
maybe but it doesn't seem definite or anything, they might just tease them and announce them properly in a few months. the Zen 4 non-X parts are definitely being announced though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
APUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus. I dun wanna have to wait until loving Computex for APUs. Since these will be the first indication of what we can expect out of next gen consoles.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrassRoots posted:

I currently have a 5800X3D in a Dan A4 with a puny Noctua NH-L9a, it's fine :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

lih posted:

maybe but it doesn't seem definite or anything, they might just tease them and announce them properly in a few months. the Zen 4 non-X parts are definitely being announced though

Hopefully it at least confirms core counts / configurations, even if availability is down the road.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

SwissArmyDruid posted:

APUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus. I dun wanna have to wait until loving Computex for APUs. Since these will be the first indication of what we can expect out of next gen consoles.

I don't think you can really extrapolate much about consoles from the APUs, can you? The console socs are all custom, generally with much larger transistor budget for the GPU and exotic memory systems like gddr6 as system ram to feed those huge GPUs.

I mean I guess you can say that however fast the igpu is in the apu, a hypothetical console igpu will be much, much faster, but that's not saying much since the APUs aren't that performant anyways.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i would be shocked if amd released a desktop apu that was as powerful as even a current-gen console

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I can't see it happening. Hell, AMD probably even has agreements with Sony and MS to not release good APUs, even if they felt like doing some whacky APU + GDDR6 motherboard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m more interested it what new APUs could mean for Steam deck-like devices.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VorpalFish posted:

I don't think you can really extrapolate much about consoles from the APUs, can you? The console socs are all custom, generally with much larger transistor budget for the GPU and exotic memory systems like gddr6 as system ram to feed those huge GPUs.

I mean I guess you can say that however fast the igpu is in the apu, a hypothetical console igpu will be much, much faster, but that's not saying much since the APUs aren't that performant anyways.

We can, in that AMD's division that makes this stuff is called their "semi-custom" division. It's still AMD x86 and GPU silicon blocks, rewired however Sony or Microsoft wants them with whatever extra silicon bits in between. Current gen consoles still run off what is fundamentally a juiced Zen 2/RDNA 2 APU.

Rinkles posted:

Also interested in this, too.

lih
May 15, 2013

idk that you can extrapolate anything at all about PS6 performance from Zen 4 APUs, by the time there's next-gen consoles they'll be running on probably Zen 6 at the very least? a long way off still

movax posted:

Hopefully it at least confirms core counts / configurations, even if availability is down the road.
the announcement's leaked ahead of the presentation in a few hours and you're in luck

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7000x3d-series-coming-february-16-core-ryzen-9-7950x3d-features-144mb-cache

7800X3D, 7900X3D and 7950X3D out next month

lih fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Only 64mb of vcache for all three? Not 128mb for the 7950X? Kind of a bummer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess I'm sticking with the 7800X3D then. I hope my Dark Rock 4 Pro is up to the task. Also, ooh, February.

edit: though that's a pretty serious jump in frequency. I wonder if they're locking these CPUs again.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I made a New Year's resolution not to buy more computers.Here's sorta hoping that these CPUs kinda suck I guess.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cygni posted:

Only 64mb of vcache for all three? Not 128mb for the 7950X? Kind of a bummer.

Word is, the 3D VCache CCD can only run up to 5GHz. So the 7950X3D is one VCache CCD, and one regular CCD. So the 5.7GHz clocks are on the regular cores, with the VCache cores running up to 5GHz.

It'll be a weird asynchronous design, basically AMD's first foray into big.Little. Except instead of "fast cores, slow cores" it'll be "faster for cache sensitive workloads, faster for cache insensitive workloads".

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's a lot of cache baby!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Aw hell yeah, great timing. I was going to go to the store tomorrow to put in an order because I didn't want to wait 3 months.
Hopefully prices for things will have also gone down just a bit more.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We can, in that AMD's division that makes this stuff is called their "semi-custom" division. It's still AMD x86 and GPU silicon blocks, rewired however Sony or Microsoft wants them with whatever extra silicon bits in between. Current gen consoles still run off what is fundamentally a juiced Zen 2/RDNA 2 APU.

Also interested in this, too.

What, exactly, can you learn? As poster above noted, new APUs will not approach the performance of current gen consoles nevermind new ones. That "juiced rdna2" APU has graphic logic 3x the size of any APU and a memory system that will never be seen in off the shelf consumer hardware.

lih
May 15, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Word is, the 3D VCache CCD can only run up to 5GHz. So the 7950X3D is one VCache CCD, and one regular CCD. So the 5.7GHz clocks are on the regular cores, with the VCache cores running up to 5GHz.

It'll be a weird asynchronous design, basically AMD's first foray into big.Little. Except instead of "fast cores, slow cores" it'll be "faster for cache sensitive workloads, faster for cache insensitive workloads".

oh that's weird, i wonder how well the scheduling's going to work there if that's the case

movax
Aug 30, 2008

lih posted:

oh that's weird, i wonder how well the scheduling's going to work there if that's the case

Yeah, that was my immediate gut reaction / nausea... scheduling pains + will any updates get backported to Win10. TDP limit is bit of a bummer -- so water cooling won't really help if you can't use Ryzen Master to up the PPT, right?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

lih posted:

Wow that's kind of wild. Scheduling often relies on a priority value in order to put priority tasks on "good" cores when you have asynchronous capabilities, does anyone currently do "best for x, but not y?"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

VorpalFish posted:

Wow that's kind of wild. Scheduling often relies on a priority value in order to put priority tasks on "good" cores when you have asynchronous capabilities, does anyone currently do "best for x, but not y?"

I'd imagine that it would simply be the cache cores get labeled as the "good" cores in existing scheduling systems and no real change needs to be made on the part of the schedulers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

yeah it seems like there's a bunch of these Steam Deck-likes in development or on the market by now, all of them using laptop APUs, so any big leaps in APU tech is probably going to filter down to these devices

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Kibner posted:

I'd imagine that it would simply be the cache cores get labeled as the "good" cores in existing scheduling systems and no real change needs to be made on the part of the schedulers.

Kinda suboptimal if the cores without cache clock higher in some situations but I guess it's not like zen4 at 5ghz would be bad anyways...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

VorpalFish posted:

Kinda suboptimal if the cores without cache clock higher in some situations but I guess it's not like zen4 at 5ghz would be bad anyways...

Yeah, suboptimal, but should still work well enough for the stuff that would need it. I imagine if you are the person that actually needs the clockspeed more than the cache for a particular workload, you would be a person that would feel comfortable setting that priority yourself for that application.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lih posted:

This feels like something where the scheduling will never work exactly the way you want…

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Assuming there isn't any unexpected gotchas, I think I'll finally retire my 6700k and jump to a 7950X3D.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

This feels like something where the scheduling will never work exactly the way you want…

It’s going to end up with thread scheduling hinting flags being added to thread control APIs so that developers can profile their applications in different scheduling configurations and figure out what the best potential thread-to core mapping looks like.

Which 95% of developers will promptly massively gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

It’s going to end up with thread scheduling hinting flags being added to thread control APIs so that developers can profile their applications in different scheduling configurations and figure out what the best potential thread-to core mapping looks like.

Which 95% of developers will promptly massively gently caress up.

It will end in everything being the highest priority / most cache desiring which results in nothing being the highest priority / getting 50% odds.