Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Harold Fjord posted:

There's a halfliing feat for that

In 2e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

Toshimo posted:

Only if you Enlarge yourself first (which is likely metagaming).

Firstly, Titan Wrestler means you can Trip an elephant, and if you're taking Assurance Athletics you are probably going to have Titan Wrestler. Secondly, knowing you're too small to Trip something isn't metagaming, it's having basic cop on that the character would be well aware of, just like how I am aware I'm too small to trip an elephant.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Chevy Slyme posted:

At -10 that’s at 20 is likely to be a hit, not a crit though. Remember, nat 20 is +1 degree of success - if that 20, -10 MAP, and let’s say, +10 to hit from Str/Proficiency/Items, a 20 will hit sometimes, but often won’t, so the nat turns it into a hit, not a crit.

I know that a nat 20 upgrades the degree of success rather than just guaranteeing a critical success, but a natural 20 on your -10 MAP Strike is the same total as a natural 10 on your first Strike of the round. Even spellcaster classes that lag a full rank of weapon proficiency behind everyone else should still hit in either of those cases against a moderate at-level AC, assuming weapon potency runes and Str/Dex ability boosts as expected. Accounting for buffs like Inspire Courage or Heroism, conditions like frightened and flat-footed, or actual weapon proficiency like the kind a class which gets Critical Specialization would have and it's entirely plausible even against higher-level threats.

To put some context on your example, a +9 from Str/proficiency/items is a fresh level 1 fighter PC or a level 2 ranger/champion/barbarian/etc that picked up their first weapon potency rune. Out of the entire monster database on AoN, the first creature with an AC high enough (AC 20) to not be crit on a nat 20 with a +9 bonus and -10 MAP is a level 1 reefclaw, which is also the only monster at level 1 with an AC that high. There are then only five creatures with that high of an AC throughout everything at level 2.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 3, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Toshimo posted:

Titan Wrestler, which is very necessary if you plan on doing any combat maneuvers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

metagaming is cool and good

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Toshimo posted:

...how is that supposed to be metagaming?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Using game mechanics is categorically not meta-gaming.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
is this some leftover pf1 10 minute adventuring day brainworms

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Roadie posted:

...how is that supposed to be metagaming?

If you were burning limited resources like spell slots to turn on Assurance trips, it would likely be because you were looking up monster stats (because why else would you be taking the 15% chance of success).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i'm pretty sure everyone else was just thinking of "why not enlarge the big fightboy because they are a big fightboy and it's a fight"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Knowing actual save values and making use of them is metagaming, if you don't get them through gameplay

by contrast, knowing that you cannot trip a creature whose legs are twice your width unless you're their size or really good at this sort of thing is not being an idiot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jen X posted:

Knowing actual save values and making use of them is metagaming, if you don't get them through gameplay

by contrast, knowing that you cannot trip a creature whose legs are twice your width unless you're their size or really good at this sort of thing is not being an idiot

yeah how is "being big makes it easier to grapple big creatures" supposed to be metagaming

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also “this big boy with thick armor doesn’t seem very agile. I’m having trouble hitting it’s AC but I bet it has a weak reflex save, let me try a maneuver” is not metagaming either.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm playing a Gunslinger in a Blood Lords game and the class is alright but I get to use my special class feature reloads like one out of every three encounters and it's lame as hell. Hopefully we stop fighting bunches of mindless undead soon.

(Minor spoilers) The early parts of the campaign have way too many mindless undead enemies. It never drops off entirely, but it definitely gets better.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm playing a Gunslinger in a Blood Lords game and the class is alright but I get to use my special class feature reloads like one out of every three encounters and it's lame as hell. Hopefully we stop fighting bunches of mindless undead soon.

I have a player in Alkenstar who is also a pistolero. Their special reload has no effect 90% of the time because enemies are either immune to mental effects or can only be demoralized 1/combat. Create a diversion needs to lose the mental trait, why can't you trick an ooze or zombie if it has the manipulate trait?

Which still wouldn't help that much, since he loads his gun at the end of his turn to keep fake out available. Any of the other options would have been better.

At this point he's a floating +3 to an ally's attack roll each round who rolls one crit per combat. If he doesn't use alchemical shot he won't even get past damage resistance. It is the worst class/archetype I've seen in pathfinder 2e. Before fake out + cooperative nature the player was having a really rough time feeling useful.

I tried the sniper archetype for a level 4 one-shot adventure and it was wonderful. Just one-shotting an enemy at the start of every fight with an alchemical crossbow while trying to figure out how to remain in cover while still having line of sight was extremely fun.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I have a player in Alkenstar who is also a pistolero. Their special reload has no effect 90% of the time because enemies are either immune to mental effects or can only be demoralized 1/combat.

Reminder that the Demoralize 'cooldown' is per target and per player using demoralize. If the Barbarian Demoralizes a target on turn one, the Pistolero absolutely can demoralize them on round 2 and so on and so forth. This obviously doesn't help in Construct fights, but I've played through about half of Outlaws of Alkenstar now, and I'd say there's humanoids or animals in roughly half or more of the combats we've had. Plenty of opportunities to scare someone.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Chevy Slyme posted:

Reminder that the Demoralize 'cooldown' is per target and per player using demoralize. If the Barbarian Demoralizes a target on turn one, the Pistolero absolutely can demoralize them on round 2 and so on and so forth. This obviously doesn't help in Construct fights, but I've played through about half of Outlaws of Alkenstar now, and I'd say there's humanoids or animals in roughly half or more of the combats we've had. Plenty of opportunities to scare someone.

We've been running it correctly (no one else has any charisma so he's alone demoralizing enemies) and sometimes his reload even applies fleeing(!) but when you are making a demoralize every single round you can quickly run out of targets.

Pistolero needs a reload benefit without the mental tag unless they are supposed to be painfully campaign dependent. He didn't take running reload and I think that is kinda on him at this point. Using Alchemical Shot (which he did take) would be a lot more feasible if he could still position while using it.

The party is currently level 9, nearly done with the campaign, and between the abundance of physical resistance and mental immune enemies he's always been last in terms of usefulness. The player recently told me that they'll never play another gunslinger even though the campaign itself has been fun and the non-combat sections have been great for a charisma focused character.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
One of my least favorite parts of Pathfinder2e is that this can happen to many different classes in different cases. Mental is a major once because a lot of offensive Occult and Bard spells use that trait. Another big one is Clerics/Divine Spell List and the primary damage being alignment damage, which does zero damage to enemies that are not of the specific set of opposite alignments. A third annoyance is the number of creatures that are immune to precision damage, which hurts Precision Ranger and any Rogue looking to use Sneak Attack (i.e. all of them).

You’re right in that your player would have a better time with that character in a different campaign, or if they had taken a second reload option like Running Reload.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si7o?Changes-to-the-Way-We-Make-Changes

Big Errata Dump; TL;dr; Going forward, Errata pushes will not be linked to reprints of specific books - instead we’ll get a biannual roundup that spans all published material. That said, there’s one last round of book specific errata for the CRB, with some major changes. Hilights:

You can now choose to forego the specified boosts/flaws of any ancestry, and instead simply take two free boosts.

More Alchemist changes - notably, Chirurgeon got some significant buffs that make them really good “Medicine” skill users (they can use Crafting instead, including for all Medicine feats), and a generally more expansive pool of items has been associated with their specialty.

Gnome Flickmace was “nerfed” to 1d6 damage… but they gave it the sweep trait. Personally, I feel like that makes it better, not worse?

Clerics get Expert proficiency w/ weapons sooner.

And there’s also this rules clarification which… is interesting.

quote:

Page 451 (Clarification): How do extra critical effects work on a creature immune to critical hits?
Immunity to critical hits reads “When a creature immune to critical hits is critically hit by a Strike or other attack that deals damage, it takes normal damage instead of double damage.” This means what it says: The attack deals normal damage instead of double damage. Other effects specific to a critical hit still occur, such as critical specialization effects and extra damage dice from traits like deadly and fatal. You also still have the option to use abilities that trigger on critical hits, like the vorpal rune’s reaction (though many creatures immune to crits also don’t need heads to live, lucky devils). Your GM can still say no to extremely strange consequences of this rule on a case-by-case basis.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

quote:

Page 451 (Clarification): How do extra critical effects work on a creature immune to critical hits?
Immunity to critical hits reads “When a creature immune to critical hits is critically hit by a Strike or other attack that deals damage, it takes normal damage instead of double damage.” This means what it says: The attack deals normal damage instead of double damage. Other effects specific to a critical hit still occur, such as critical specialization effects and extra damage dice from traits like deadly and fatal. You also still have the option to use abilities that trigger on critical hits, like the vorpal rune’s reaction (though many creatures immune to crits also don’t need heads to live, lucky devils). Your GM can still say no to extremely strange consequences of this rule on a case-by-case basis.

this is stupid as gently caress

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sugar free jazz posted:

this is stupid as gently caress

I actually kind of like it - it’s not intuitive without the clarification at all, but I think it’s maybe more interesting -though they should rephrase existing statblocks to read immune to “Critical Damage” to clarify this, and then you have a new design space to grant complete crit immunity.

In particular though, I like that it lets crits always feel good for folks that are built around them, even against enemies that won’t get straight up murdered by said crits. It makes playing a gunslinger, for example, feel a lot better if you get your fatal dice even if you don’t do double damage.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I know I am posting this in a Pathfinder thread, so dont take this as me hashing on Pathfinder, I just want some clarification and perhaps I might start reading its 600 page ruleset and get into it.

I have decided that I want to move away from DnD 5th. This is mostly because I dont find the game to be too fun to run. I am not an overall fan of the core mechanis such as Action/Bonus action/movement, hp sponge, rest mechanics, subclass and multiclass system. Not to mention being originally a Pathfinder 1e GM I remember frantically going through DnD 5th book the first time thinking "Where have all the feats gone?!!". Now I am not sure how much 2e has changed. But if I was to choose between Pathfinder 1e or DnD 5th. I would pick DnD 5th. Also honestly advantage/disadvantage system is better than Pathfinders focus on situational modifiers. I just have one thing I want clarified. Is the layout and editing of the book as bad as people suggest it is?

Example video here where it is talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v7iM6DOcIg&t=610s

I ask because I remember back when getting into Pathfinder 1e. Finding niche rules was hard and incredibly unintuitive. Information that I felt like should have been lumped together might be 40 pages across from each other. I was also new when I started playing that. But any reassurance that stuff is easier to find, easier to organize would be nice. Granted that its truthful.

Midig fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 4, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

I actually kind of like it - it’s not intuitive without the clarification at all, but I think it’s maybe more interesting -though they should rephrase existing statblocks to read immune to “Critical Damage” to clarify this, and then you have a new design space to grant complete crit immunity.

In particular though, I like that it lets crits always feel good for folks that are built around them, even against enemies that won’t get straight up murdered by said crits. It makes playing a gunslinger, for example, feel a lot better if you get your fatal dice even if you don’t do double damage.

sometimes things are immune to whatever abilities your character has and you have to do other stuff and figure it out and that's fine. are we just gonna get rid of fire immunity because sometimes it sorta sucks if you have a bunch of fire spells prepped?

literally just had a conversation in this thread about immunity to mind effecting and no one is suggesting to get rid of that, because while it's sometimes annoying, especially if it's concentrated in a campaign, it's still good to have around

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 4, 2023

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Midig posted:

I ask because I remember back when getting into Pathfinder 1e. Finding niche rules was hard and incredibly unintuitive. Information that I felt like should have been lumped together might be 40 pages across from each other. I was also new when I started playing that. But any reassurance that stuff is easier to find, easier to organize would be nice. Granted that its truthful.

The rules are all available for free online. It's fairly well organized but also there's a lot of cheat sheets if you look around!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sugar free jazz posted:

sometimes things are immune to whatever abilities your character has and you have to do other stuff and figure it out and that's fine. are we just gonna get rid of fire immunity because sometimes it sorta sucks if you have a bunch of fire spells prepped?

literally just had a conversation in this thread about immunity to mind effecting and no one is suggesting to get rid of that, because while it's sometimes annoying, especially if it's concentrated in a campaign, it's still good to have around

Think of this as the fire resistance companion to fire immunity. It’s more interesting when both exist.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Midig posted:

Is the layout and editing of the book as bad as people suggest it is?

Example video here where it is talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v7iM6DOcIg&t=610s

So the CRB organization is built to be read, not to find information. It's not great for finding things, I'd say. That said...

Ignore literally everything that guy says about the game.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

Think of this as the fire resistance companion to fire immunity. It’s more interesting when both exist.

no! because there is no crit immunity anymore! both don't exist! <:mad:>

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Going from that timestamp, I think he's poorly criticized it.

He's not talking about spelling, grammar, or clarity editing - he's speaking about the size of the core rulebook, and that's a debatable point (the model for pathfinder being two books to play the core game versus D&D's three), but it's importantly not what the idea of a "poorly edited" book generally means. Layout is well done, the Core Rulebook is very well proofread and copy edited, and you're not finding tons of mistakes or parts that disagree with each other (there have been a good variety of errata/updates but the vast majority of those are not for errors as people are discussing here.)

His second part is about layout, and he really doesn't say much. He quotes a reddit post that is fundamentally wrong - it's not his argument, it's the first one he got from a google search. And to explain why, I'll tell you about the great leap ahead in layout in the Pathfinder 2e CRB - a very nice combined glossary/index at the back. The index actually works! It's simple and directs you to where stuff is perfectly fine. But it also contains glossary entries for traits, essential game rules and so on, so you often don't even need to jump to something from the index, it's just IN the index. However, using that index also tells us his quoted example is incorrect - looking up crafting tells me it's literally a skill use under the craft skill, I flip over there and indeed it is, with the basic rules and guidelines right there. Earn Income is a separate thing that everyone can do using Craft or another skill, and which in terms of fiction can include crafting items, but if a PC is actually making a notable item, it's just Craft. Now, feats and the items themselves might add additional complications to the basic craft skill use, but it's reasonable for those to be separate.

However, for your first while as you learn Pathfinder 2e it's likely you'll still find yourself flipping through the book a bunch. Most everything in the game uses a set of interlocking traits to describe how it works (with the traits receiving writeups in the text as appropriate and then also in the index glossary), so you'll be looking at say a feat and checking its traits to figure out how it really works. The difference from Pathfinder 1e is that Pathfinder 1e had a lot of corner cases and extra rules scattered about everywhere to internalize - in Pathfinder 2e as you learn the traits that's all you need to learn. There's no extra gotchas. Do you need a hand free to perform an action? Well, instead of there being a line in every action about whether you need a hand or two free, it's just whether it has the Manipulate trait or not. If you learn how the manipulate trait works, now you can understand everything else. So it's a lot to learn and a lot to connect up front, but once you've learned the game, you don't need to continually be checking for corner cases or weird poo poo like you did in Pathfinder 1e. Stuff just works, again and again and again. It's a very solid, very easy system to run once you learn it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Midig posted:

Is the layout and editing of the book as bad as people suggest it is?

I do think that the CRB is weirdly organized, but all the rules are online at 2e.aonprd.com, so it doesn't really matter all that much.

quote:

I have decided that I want to move away from DnD 5th. This is mostly because I dont find the game to be too fun to run. I am not an overall fan of the core mechanis such as Action/Bonus action/movement, hp sponge, rest mechanics, subclass and multiclass system. Not to mention being originally a Pathfinder 1e GM I remember frantically going through DnD 5th book the first time thinking "Where have all the feats gone?!!".

Also, I think all of these are much better in 2e than 5e. It's definitely worth checking out!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Chevy Slyme posted:

A variation of that was true in 1e as well, for things like the elemental burst weapon enhancements - you get them on a critical roll even against things immune to crits.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Oof, very much not a fan of what they've done to voluntary flaws. Instead of an option for characters to gain two flaws in trade for an additional ancestry boost, something that was very helpful for characters with complicated ability score requirements, now you can just... Gain more flaws with absolutely no benefit if you want to make your character strictly worse. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

Oof, very much not a fan of what they've done to voluntary flaws. Instead of an option for characters to gain two flaws in trade for an additional ancestry boost, something that was very helpful for characters with complicated ability score requirements, now you can just... Gain more flaws with absolutely no benefit if you want to make your character strictly worse. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

Because you can now use the new option to just take a boost to any two ability scores of your choice to do it without any extra finagling.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

Gnome Flickmace was “nerfed” to 1d6 damage… but they gave it the sweep trait. Personally, I feel like that makes it better, not worse?

If they wanted to nerf the flickmace I think they should have given the flail critical specialization a fortitude/reflex save instead of being a saveless prone.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 4, 2023

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Arivia posted:

Because you can now use the new option to just take a boost to any two ability scores of your choice to do it without any extra finagling.

What's to stop you from making an agile dwarf or tanky elf now? It feels like they're nerfing what makes ancestry different for the sake of letting people play cat girls with plus 2 dex.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

jiffypop45 posted:

What's to stop you from making an agile dwarf or tanky elf now? It feels like they're nerfing what makes ancestry different for the sake of letting people play cat girls with plus 2 dex.

Ancestries are still going to have unique feats so they'll have a variety of play styles. I was wondering why they hadn't done this earlier but I guess it was only a matter of time!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Cyouni posted:

Ignore literally everything that guy says about the game.

I mean, he has apparantly played both systems for a while, so some elaboration would be nice. Its not like the guy favors DnD 5th anyhow.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jiffypop45 posted:

What's to stop you from making an agile dwarf or tanky elf now?

Nothing and that's cool

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Midig posted:

I mean, he has apparantly played both systems for a while, so some elaboration would be nice. Its not like the guy favors DnD 5th anyhow.

he released pretty poo poo, poorly researched clickbait video and there was a whole bunch of arguments about it online, and now every few weeks someone drags it into here or /r/pathfinder2 or rpg.net or the Paizo forums again and goes "hey guys what do you think about this video, seems legit" and the people who actually play the game try not to pass out from the eyerolling

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Andrast posted:

Nothing and that's cool

I liked the old system because it encouraged me to try out character types I would've passed over if there wasn't a mechanical incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

super sweet best pal posted:

I liked the old system because it encouraged me to try out character types I would've passed over if there wasn't a mechanical incentive.

Those mechanical differences between ancestries still exist in that every ancestry has a unique pool of feats and features that make them feel different and special though.

Like, the fact that Hobgoblins had an Int and Str bonus isn’t what makes them cool and unique it’s the rad feats that play into their flavor as intimidating, militaristic, and superstitious. And those are all still there and great.