Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

One of my favorite parts about all of this is that this keeps happening over and over. The guardia di finanza (and other law enforcement orgs) has enormous powers over wiretaps due to organized crime laws and yet the same guys at the same club just keep calling each other on big old red cartoon phones to talk about crime.
Seems like they could just get around that by using Google Voice or WhatsApp calls or Zoom or whatever. Instead it’s, yes, big old red cartoon phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Love to talk about all my secret deals and fake transactions that should be hidden from auditors over the phone
If you think that's stupid, the biggest organizational punishment in the history of the NBA happened when the Minnesota Timberwolves were stripped of five first round draft picks after it was found they'd agreed to a secret contract to pay free agent Joe Smith under the table to circumvent the salary cap.

How did the league find out? Well, Smith had a falling out with his agent and said agent simply faxed NBA HQ because the Minnesota front office actually put every detail of the under-the-table contract in writing.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I’m guessing this is fake but :lol: at the random football players named in this

https://twitter.com/dianecapone/status/1597730017156681728

Callum Hudson Odoi and Mikel Arteta

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Ronald blowing up his agents phone demanding to know how he never got an invite

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

stab posted:

He's probably gonna be on the board Op
:eyepop:
https://twitter.com/IFTVofficial/status/1598305390306988037

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://football-italia.net/chiellini-message-to-juventus-squad-leaked-do-not-talk-about-this-agreement/

quote:

A message from Giorgio Chiellini sent to the Juventus group chat has been revealed by Il Fatto Quotidiano, discussing the agreement to secretly pay players salaries.

The Bianconeri are in the crosshairs for allegedly paying players under the table during the early stages of the COVID pandemic, despite suggesting that their salaries had been frozen. Juventus are also being investigated for falsified capital gains and the mass resignations of Andrea Agnelli and the board of directors has only increased the pressure in the Piedmont capital.

Writing to the Juventus squad in their WhatsApp Group, Chiellini told his teammates on March 27 2020 to stay quiet about the agreement.

“Hello everyone, as you know we are talking with Fabio (Paratici) and the president to try to help the club and all the employees in this difficult moment. The final proposal is this: we are missing four months of salary, three months paid in case we manage to finish the season, two and a half months in case we stop.

“The president has guaranteed the payment of one month’s salary on July 1 and the rest in the 20/21 season. They really thank the whole team for their sensitivity. In case of okay, tomorrow I will have a paper signed by the president where he guarantees the above.

“Due to stock market legislation, the communication that would come out is only of the waiver of the four months. You are asked NOT TO TALK IN THE INTERVIEWS about the details of this agreement.”

The next day, Chiellini provided another update on the Juventus squad WhatApp group, discussing the details of the situation.

“You will receive in the next few days a sheet that is worth everything and nothing like the one the president and I signed, where we commit ourselves to giving up the remaining months of this season.

“Subsequently, your lawyers or agents will be contacted and AT THE SAME TIME the contracts valid for this season and next will be signed. Juventus will make a press release saying that we are waiving four monthly payments to help the club. Thank you for everything.”

An investigation into the situation has been opened by the FIGC and Juventus are see

lol, lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The Crimes WhatsApp

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Side contracts? EBT’s? Agent letters? The good ol days are back baby.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Giorgio renamed the group "ourcrimes.txt"

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Appreciate that ever footy crime is the stupidest crime ever committed

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

poor old Rosa

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Fierce!

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/status/1606517327134081025?s=46&t=_qjffFkAzPb0DjH6cLtgIg

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what’s with that celebrity on the pitch at the end? from what i can gather he was infantinos favourite chef and he just let in him the pitch for some reason? totally sullied the WC held
in a feudal slave state only there because of fifa corruption imo

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
isn't there a fifa investigation because of that? https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64071206

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Infantino is sweet on Salt Bae for some reason

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Shrapnig posted:

Infantino is sweet on Salt Bae for some reason

He really puts the infant in infantino

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

He really puts the infant in infantino

:xd:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

qsvui posted:

isn't there a fifa investigation because of that? https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64071206

The corruption task force has a lot of free time right now, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of this

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

brocked posted:

The corruption task force has a lot of free time right now, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of this

Oh, have they reformed the corruption task force after they discovered no corruption last time?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

Oh, have they reformed the corruption task force after they discovered no corruption last time?

We regret to inform you that the corruption task force was found to be corrupt

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Gigi Galli posted:

We regret to inform you that the corruption task force was found to be corrupt

Breaking News: Corruption re-defined, corruption task force cleared of all charges.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
berhalter is a noted wife kicker???
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64158293

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

qsvui posted:

If you read the article and the statements both he and the USSF put out today, it was a drunken incident that happened no less than 31 years ago when Gregg and his wife were dating as freshmen at the University of North Carolina, and apparently someone contacted the USSF trying to blackmail either them or him with this during the World Cup.

Nothing has happened since this 1992 incident (seriously this happened 31 years ago), with Gregg and his wife going on to have four kids without any apparent issues.

What's fun about this is that the apparent blackmail attempt happened on the same day that the article in the Athletic appeared about Gio Reyna allegedly being a shithead over his lack of playing time during the World Cup, and Berhalter's wife and Claudio Reyna's wife (Gio's mom) happened to be college roommates.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 4, 2023

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So you're saying Gio's mom was blackmailing Greggg

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That indeed is the incredibly juicy speculation because the relationship between the Berhalter and Reyna families, which had been great since they were all in college, supposedly took a quick turn for the worse after Gio was told he'd be on limited WC duty (presumably due to his lack of fitness).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean, what's more likely, a Reyna pissing match or some rando bouncer sitting on this for 30 loving years because ???

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I mean, what's more likely, a Reyna pissing match or some rando bouncer sitting on this for 30 loving years because ???
And the USSF statement very vaguely alluded to other episodes of "inappropriate" actions directed toward "multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization", presumably during the recent timeframe as well, which...what the gently caress?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

some rando bouncer sitting on this for 30 loving years because ???
Some of the #BerhalterOut people on Twitter are legitimately out of their goddamn minds so I do consider this a slight possibility

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

qsvui posted:

Happy new year, I got some World Cup blues and thought this new post would be a good start.

But it’s just like the false hope of US team beating Netherlands.

31 years ago and now resolved :laffo:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This was from late last night, from the looks of it:

https://twitter.com/heathpearce/status/1610494319760375810

That's former USMNT member Heath Pearce (about three dozen caps over 7-8 years). So if he's right, get the obligatory amount of popcorn ready.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Crazy Ted posted:

This was from late last night, from the looks of it:

https://twitter.com/heathpearce/status/1610494319760375810

That's former USMNT member Heath Pearce (about three dozen caps over 7-8 years). So if he's right, get the obligatory amount of popcorn ready.

I'm spamming f5 like a madman on him and Conway's podcast (which is excellent even if you're not a USMNT supporter fwiw)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Gonna be hard to top the USMNT drama between Eric Wynalda and John Harkes but this seems promising!

Incidentally, I just noticed that there is now a conspicuous edit to Wynalda’s Wikipedia section about his personal life:

quote:

Wynalda married Amanda Fletcher in 2014. They live in Thousand Oaks, CA with their three children and his three children from a previous marriage.

:thunk:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sticksy posted:

Gonna be hard to top the USMNT drama between Eric Wynalda and John Harkes but this seems promising!

Incidentally, I just noticed that there is now a conspicuous edit to Wynalda’s Wikipedia section about his personal life:

:thunk:
The details of Harkes-Wynalda when they came out were incredible, especially the one about Harkes coming over while Wynalda was gone and banging the missus in the kids' play room.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Harkes and Wynalda deserve each other, they both suck poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Harkes and Wynalda deserve each other, they both suck poo poo.
You can tell important people must hate both of them because they've been managers but neither has been able to get one loving whiff of an MLS job in spite of their histories with the USMNT. Harkes is still managing that third-tier pro team based in Greenville, SC.

Of course Wynalda is a goddamn flake who, based on his history, would skip an MLS game to go commentate for ESPN or something.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...ncident-sources

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Lmao reynas

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
the blood feud we all deserve

e:

quote:

Claudio Reyna and Berhalter have a relationship that spans decades. They played youth and high school soccer together, their respective U.S. national team careers both spanned from 1994 to 2006 and their wives -- Danielle Reyna (nee Egan) and Rosalind Berhalter (nee Santana) -- were four-year teammates at the University of North Carolina.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 4, 2023

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lmao, who the gently caress thought that was a good idea

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is pretty incredible helicopter parenting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vegetable posted:

This is pretty incredible helicopter parenting
Actually I think the new term is Lawnmower Parenting - maybe Bulldozer Parenting - and that definitely applies here.

Also, from a guy who specializes in sports and tax law:

https://twitter.com/ProfBank/status/1610712832672428032

Hope the Reynas enjoy their FBI interviews lol

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 4, 2023