Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bad Seafood posted:

How does the Steam port of Dwarf Fortress run? I vaguely recall the OG version giving some people a lot of trouble, even though it's all displayed in ACSI graphics, due to how much stuff it had to process in the background.

I assume about the same, since the new graphics is just 2D stuff and not very demanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They did a lot of optimizing, but it's also got a lot of new bugs they are working through, so it's probably a wash?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

How does the Steam port of Dwarf Fortress run? I vaguely recall the OG version giving some people a lot of trouble, even though it's all displayed in ACSI graphics, due to how much stuff it had to process in the background.

Some of the later game forts get pretty demanding and can take your system down to single digit frame rates.

Its very CPU heavy

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sounds like a pass till I've got a better machine then.

Laptop gaming has its drawbacks.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've always heard it was bad, but never quite pinned down why - I think it was the very disjointed, weird world design? I know DS1 is a masterclass in how to design a metroidvania map, but IIRC DS2 is messy / nothing fits together / it's very awkward?

But I'm trying to remember opinions I read from like a year or two ago.

I adore weird games almost more than straightforward fun ones. :allears: It's part of why I'm spending so much time with Othercide right now.

yeah people didn't like the world design in ds2 (it's not actually that bad, just it was a real strength of ds1 that ds2 didn't try to deliver on at all) and the level design isn't as tight and the boss fights don't really reach the same heights as ds1. but on the other hand the level design doesn't fall off a cliff in the final third of the game like ds1 so it does end up a more consistent experience. it's nowhere near as bad as some make out but it's also rarely more than 'fine' compared to the other games

if you want weird then ds1 and demon's souls are the roughest and weirdest, both have a lot of weirder, more inscrutable mechanics & design that the later games ironed out. a lot of that is for the better but there's still a lot of charm to some of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dark Souls 2 was so bad it made me stop playing soulslikes.

I hope you like fighting dudes in armor because that's like 90% of the enemy roster.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
With DS2 they made bonfire warping much more powerful, which is good from a gameplay perspective (apart from the gotta warp to level up part), but that meant they didn’t need to make the overall game world a tight knot, which meant less major shortcuts and a more «flat» world feel.

DS3 and Bloodborne were a bit better but the worlds were still more spread out than DS1.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also you have to kill 5 gods to bypass a 1 meter tall pile of rubble.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

goferchan posted:

Dark Souls 3 is great and definitely the most refined entry of the trilogy but it loses a tiny bit of magic in that refinement. Dark Souls 2 feels like them coming off the high of Dark Souls being a surprise hit and saying "okay, if we got away with THAT, then let's try THIS" -- they hadn't quite figured out the formula of what makes the games stick at that point, so there are a lot of novel ideas in it. Some work, some don't, but that's the nature of new ideas.

edit: ^^^^ I think a lot of this applies to your post above. It's definitely a messy game but that also means there's a lot of cool and weird poo poo in it

Yeah, DS3 has my least favorite gameplay, you don't have a lot of options at the start and they brought too much Bloodborne into the combat, but it's also gorgeous and has some really amazing game design as well.

2 is the one I actually enjoyed playing the most, and spent the most time on. It's weird and messy, but that makes it all the more fascinating and fun to play around in.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I hope you like fighting dudes in armor because that's like 90% of the enemy roster.

lol that bad at the game huh

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Also you have to kill 5 gods to bypass a 1 meter tall pile of rubble.
None may pass around the easily-circumnavigable Gazebo of Winter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

on the computer posted:

lol that bad at the game huh

"bad cuz bad" is up there with "turn on your monitor" when it comes to insightful commentary.

Turn on your monitor.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ds2 had the best pvp in the series

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My favorite part of Dark Souls 2 is the (killable) merchant who sets up shop right next to a batch of enemies who run at you and explode.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

my fav part of original dark souls 2 was that bonfire directly next to several crossbow enemies who would aggro on you the instant you stand up, very good game design 10/10

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

"bad cuz bad" is up there with "turn on your monitor" when it comes to insightful commentary.

Turn on your monitor.

insight like "the game is bad because the enemies are armoured"? I guess you're right

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

on the computer posted:

insight like "the game is bad because the enemies are armoured"? I guess you're right

You wanted me to also copy paste what everyone else wrote just before me?

I'm sorry I didn't like your favorite poison swamp simulator. It won't happen again.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Souls is at it's best when you are just fighting a dude in armor.

Edit: also lol that not even 10 pages into the new thread without yet another DS2 slap fight

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 4, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Instead of purchasing Elden Ring I decided to play Dark Souls 2, since I own it, and so far I'm having a good weird time. It feels like I've stumbled into somebody else's dream. I am a [person] who is being driven mad because my [zombie curse] has ruined my memories of some nice lady, and now I'm in a ruined kingdom stabbing zombies (and really tough pigs?) for souls, which I am giving to a lady in order to become more powerful.

Everything feels intensely familiar thanks to my watching of like 3+ LPs of Dark Souls 1 (it's a fascinating game) but also terrifying because I don't know where any of the traps or ambushes are, and the notes and bloodstains aren't reliable.

Also I managed to go through a long passage and make it to a kingdom(?) full of armored giant knights first and that taught me a lot about watching enemy patterns and dying. I later came back to the first "main" hub bonfire and found a much easier place full of trees and angry zombies.

I'm playing as a knight, as it starts with a big sword, and in Monster Hunter my best weapon was the greatsword.

(Bonus aside: I've played a lot of Nioh and enjoyed it, some Monster Hunter and enjoyed it - need to return to both to beat 'em - but none of the From games yet. I've tried Dark Souls 1 several times but between my first experience being keyboard controls (it was bad!) and the LPs spoiling it, I no longer want to learn that game. I want new stuff!)

dark souls 2 rocks and unlike the other games it gets better as it goes on, the DLCs in particular are the best souls content ever made.

the only thing to be aware of that's totally non-intuitive is the agility stat, which governs your dodge roll invincibility frames and how fast you use healing items. try to level ADP until you get to agility 96 or 99 for a good time with dodge rolls. not mandatory but very helpful.

Bad Seafood posted:

My favorite part of Dark Souls 2 is the (killable) merchant who sets up shop right next to a batch of enemies who run at you and explode.

i've played the game three times and that's never happened to me lol, that merchant is invincible until you do a specific thing and when you do that thing you access a bonfire behind him and all the enemies are passive.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
iirc he stood outside the little bonfire room so every time you warped there to talk to him you had to walk out of the little bonfire niche and then kill all the crazy oneshot suicide bomber enemies that immediately aggrod on you before you could actually talk in peace

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
maybe that was in the original version? it's been a long time since i played that and i've played through SOTFS twice in the last few years and it doesn't happen, he's in the doorway of the cell and you get no aggro.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dark Souls 2 has a lot of just really weird and bizarre stuff in it, in good ways and bad ways. Such as this thing you can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13X_d2XldV8

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that bug gas breaks all your equipment. don't breathe it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hate those things so much, they jump around too much and my reflexes aren't fast enough to stop them!

Edit: Oh wait, these are DIFFERENT annoying poison monsters! :stonk:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ymgve posted:

With DS2 they made bonfire warping much more powerful, which is good from a gameplay perspective (apart from the gotta warp to level up part), but that meant they didn’t need to make the overall game world a tight knot, which meant less major shortcuts and a more «flat» world feel.

DS3 and Bloodborne were a bit better but the worlds were still more spread out than DS1.

i honestly don't think the dark souls 1 world design was very good, in retrospect, although it had a lot of style. the best areas are the ones like undead burg and anor londo and sen's that are designed to go through once with a lot of cool encounters that feel bespoke and interesting. at the time it felt massively open but in reality (without glitching the game) you can do the intended path, or you can go to darkroot with the master key, or you can go to the valley of the drakes with the master key. you still need the lordvessel (and the game gates off a bunch of stuff with a fog wall if you don't lol). you still need to kill sif. you still need to get the lord souls. it must have taken so much effort to make the first half of the game like that too because the entire back half is a bunch of linear paths into some sloppy garbage areas with lovely gimmicks and some recycled enemies and awful bosses.

i mean it's cool as gently caress to see the demon ruins from the tomb of the giants or whatever but i'd rather take a game that plays well.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh yeah and i forgot, don't you dare try to explore too much on your first playthrough by going through the secret door in blight town, or the catacombs, without getting the lordvessel first lol

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
when people talk about the world design they generally meant how the world all fit together fairly coherently in interesting ways, rather than it being good at guiding player progression or anything. the master key is basically just a trap if it's your first playthrough yeah. the bit people like is that it's cool to explore and have the world loop back around on itself and encounter lots of interesting side paths that still feel like important parts of the world. like you can get to darkroot pretty early via the entrance below andre even without the master key & that's all optional except sif at the very end, eventually, who you can get to by a completely different entrance.

there are certainly big issues with the progression though - it's clear they meant for the catacombs to be tackled before the lordvessel, but there's never any reason to before then and if you do you just have to backtrack all the way out of it which is a chore. the game also kinda pushes you towards new londo if you got cursed since ingward can heal it and the ghosts are damageable if you're cursed, but that was just aggressively cruel design. the moss lady merchant didn't even sell purging stones originally lol

a lot of the issues would be solved by just having bonfire warping from the start like the later games, so you don't run into issues like beating the catacombs too early and having to climb back up with little reward. you do lose a tiny bit of the appeal of the world looping back on itself, having to trek away from safety & the relief at finding new routes back to firelink, but that's relatively minor and the world interconnecting is still cool regardless. i'd like to see a future game try to do what ds1 did with its world, just more polished (& having the quality of life changes from the sequels), since the closest any have is just bloodborne which has some moments but doesn't go anywhere near as far there.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i loved the stitched together mario dream world of ds2 a hole heckin lot.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i decided to burn $25 on stuff that's been on my wishlist for years. also consortium snuck on there somehow.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

kater posted:

i decided to burn $25 on stuff that's been on my wishlist for years. also consortium snuck on there somehow.

that's great, man

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark Souls 2 rules because it actually felt like a sequel to Dark Souls in the way sequels to old NES games felt like sequels

It could have so easily just been Dark Souls 1: Part 2 - the expansion pack

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lih posted:

when people talk about the world design they generally meant how the world all fit together fairly coherently in interesting ways, rather than it being good at guiding player progression or anything. the master key is basically just a trap if it's your first playthrough yeah. the bit people like is that it's cool to explore and have the world loop back around on itself and encounter lots of interesting side paths that still feel like important parts of the world. like you can get to darkroot pretty early via the entrance below andre even without the master key & that's all optional except sif at the very end, eventually, who you can get to by a completely different entrance.

there are certainly big issues with the progression though - it's clear they meant for the catacombs to be tackled before the lordvessel, but there's never any reason to before then and if you do you just have to backtrack all the way out of it which is a chore. the game also kinda pushes you towards new londo if you got cursed since ingward can heal it and the ghosts are damageable if you're cursed, but that was just aggressively cruel design. the moss lady merchant didn't even sell purging stones originally lol

a lot of the issues would be solved by just having bonfire warping from the start like the later games, so you don't run into issues like beating the catacombs too early and having to climb back up with little reward. you do lose a tiny bit of the appeal of the world looping back on itself, having to trek away from safety & the relief at finding new routes back to firelink, but that's relatively minor and the world interconnecting is still cool regardless. i'd like to see a future game try to do what ds1 did with its world, just more polished (& having the quality of life changes from the sequels), since the closest any have is just bloodborne which has some moments but doesn't go anywhere near as far there.

yeah for sure, you are 100% right about how it feels to play and it was my first souls game and i stayed up all night playing it and pretended i was ill the next day so i could skip school and play some more, don't get me wrong lol. i'm just trying to spread some of the hate around from ds2 to the other games :coolfish:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The sale finally moved me to pull the trigger on Kena: Bridge of Spirits, and so far it's a very cosy and pleasant experience. It's very much got the vibe of a Pixar movie turned into a game. :3:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Foul Fowl posted:

i honestly don't think the dark souls 1 world design was very good, in retrospect, although it had a lot of style. the best areas are the ones like undead burg and anor londo and sen's that are designed to go through once with a lot of cool encounters that feel bespoke and interesting. at the time it felt massively open but in reality (without glitching the game) you can do the intended path, or you can go to darkroot with the master key, or you can go to the valley of the drakes with the master key. you still need the lordvessel (and the game gates off a bunch of stuff with a fog wall if you don't lol). you still need to kill sif. you still need to get the lord souls. it must have taken so much effort to make the first half of the game like that too because the entire back half is a bunch of linear paths into some sloppy garbage areas with lovely gimmicks and some recycled enemies and awful bosses.

i mean it's cool as gently caress to see the demon ruins from the tomb of the giants or whatever but i'd rather take a game that plays well.

Other than MGSV, Dark Souls 1 is probably one of the most obvious and high profile examples of developers just running out of time and money. The drop in quality of assets and design after Anor Londo is absolutely drastic. If you stand around Lost Izalith long enough you can probably hear someone yelling "just ship it!" hidden in the ambient audio.

I actually think the first half of the game deserves more credit the further removed we are from it. I still think the flow of travel between those opening areas is unrivalled by anything else since, and although lessened on repeat play-throughs, discovering the shortcuts and the paths from one area to another has been one of game designs true highlights of the last 15 years. That sensation of thinking "cool, I'm back here" after taking an elevator to a familiar location, and the sheer relief of realising you felt that much closer to Firelink by opening up a nice shortcut, was extraordinary.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Foul Fowl posted:

i honestly don't think the dark souls 1 world design was very good

its actually the best designed videogame world ever op

Bumhead posted:

Other than MGSV, Dark Souls 1 is probably one of the most obvious and high profile examples of developers just running out of time and money. The drop in quality of assets and design after Anor Londo is absolutely drastic. If you stand around Lost Izalith long enough you can probably hear someone yelling "just ship it!" hidden in the ambient audio.

Lost Izalith rules, it rules that it's so plainly unfinished, the 30 demon dinosaur haunches just copy pasted every rules, the bed of chaos rules, those funny enemies with the tentacles and the massive mouth on top of their head rule. Dark Souls 1 wouldn't have been a better game if the developers had unlimited time and money, its awesome that theres a clear point where things got rushed, gimme a game with jaggedy edges anyday, yum yum

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Consider wiping your wishlist before the sale ends. Either buy it now while it's cheap or just remove it. If it's good, it'll eventually make its way back onto the wishlist.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Perestroika posted:

The sale finally moved me to pull the trigger on Kena: Bridge of Spirits, and so far it's a very cosy and pleasant experience. It's very much got the vibe of a Pixar movie turned into a game. :3:

I didn't much care for the game. Really felt like 99% of the effort went to the art and graphics, which look amazing, but the gameplay is terrible.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lost Izalith rules, it rules that it's so plainly unfinished, the 30 demon dinosaur haunches just copy pasted every rules, the bed of chaos rules, those funny enemies with the tentacles and the massive mouth on top of their head rule. Dark Souls 1 wouldn't have been a better game if the developers had unlimited time and money, its awesome that theres a clear point where things got rushed, gimme a game with jaggedy edges anyday, yum yum

I can't disagree. Those areas are still part of the Dark Souls story and I'm glad they're still in the game.

It's just rare for games to show their development time and budget hand to that extent. To go from such a tightly crafted, intricate experience to warping between copy/paste areas, re-used asset dumps and bosses like the Bed of Chaos is honestly hilarious.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Blattdorf posted:

Consider wiping your wishlist before the sale ends. Either buy it now while it's cheap or just remove it. If it's good, it'll eventually make its way back onto the wishlist.

Nah, I use my wishlist as the storefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i don’t agree with what you say but i will go hollow to defend your right to say it