Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Thauros posted:

guess naito will be technically headlining "wrestle kingdom" after all lol

big "you're in the main event, you're facing Triple H!" vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Mighty Don't Kneel but it's okay if they want to have a little cry and get a hug from time to time :shobon:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aaaaaaaah

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The first time they meet in a tag multiman is going to be heartbreaking :smith:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

What did Okada say in his promo? My computer went haywire for a few minutes

"Shingo-san, if you're going to interrupt, just go home.
Tokyo Dome! Thank you, today, for your loud, loud, loud cheers. The strength of your cheers turned into so much power for me. Sincerely, thank you very much.

And Jay, we've fought at the Madison Square Garden and we've fought in the main event at the Tokyo Dome. Next time, let's fight again on another grand stage. It's just that the record is still 4 wins and 2 losses for you. I can't let it end with you having the winning record. We're going to keep doing this again and again, you bastard!

The 50th anniversary year of New Japan Pro Wrestling - thank you very much. I'm grateful that I was able to have a match with so many fans in attendance. Thank you.

Finally, Inoki-san, did our fighting reach all the way to where you are? We're still only at the 50th anniversary. We will inherit this New Japan that Inoki-san created, his fighting spirit, and we'll keep it going for 100 years, 200 years, thank you very much.

In the 51st year of New Japan Pro Wrestling, we're going to keep going on and deliver a product that is on a whole new level to everyone, and to Inoki-san in heaven!

As long as everyone cheers for New Japan Pro Wrestling, and loves New Japan Pro Wrestling, New Japan Pro Wrestling will continue on. And as long as I'm the IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, in the 51st year of New Japan Pro Wrestling, I'm going to make it rain money!"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lid posted:

big "you're in the main event, you're facing Triple H!" vibes

i like the idea of a njpw x noah show better than a double dome or attempt for a wk show at yokohama, but it's kinda cheesy calling it wrestle kingdom. bring back the invasion attack name

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Next time I decide to change my av it will be to this

https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/status/1610604070649364480

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W08HWeqwCKs

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Very good show. I really enjoyed the pacing. Ospreay v Omega and okada v white were both excellent matches.

My only real complaint (besides my much debated itt view that iwgp champions should be visible in Japan) was that the woman's match should have got another 5 or so minutes.

Kenny when he's able to just brutally rinse guys is an absurd wrestler. Always looks like a killer.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Didn’t enjoy the main event tbh. Everything else was fantastic

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kenny should cosplay Big Boss next Wednesday if hes gonna need an eyepatch. maybe when he slowly ascends the ladder the play what a thrill... over the sound system

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Very good show. I really enjoyed the pacing. Ospreay v Omega and okada v white were both excellent matches.

My only real complaint (besides my much debated itt view that iwgp champions should be visible in Japan) was that the woman's match should have got another 5 or so minutes.

Kenny when he's able to just brutally rinse guys is an absurd wrestler. Always looks like a killer.

Yeah, I know they wanted to give focus to the Sasha thing but it's like the first defense of that title, giving them that little time just sucks. Like the preshow match of the most recent Stardom show went longer than that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Stall_19 posted:

Yeah, I know they wanted to give focus to the Sasha thing but it's like the first defense of that title, giving them that little time just sucks. Like the preshow match of the most recent Stardom show went longer than that.

The whole thing felt rushed. Moné's music was playing before Tam had even left the ring

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That's the thing, it's awful timing to do a segment that rushed when they're trying to establish the belt. I'm not saying it needed to be a thirty-minute epic a la Syuri/Giulia, but it sure didn't help that that match is less than a week old and made the Wonder of Stardom championship seem a hundred times more prestigious.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

Okada wants to fight Jay again, because he's only got 2 wins to Jay White's 4.

I wonder is this is a call back to the hubris that lead him to challenge Kenny after the 60 minute classic, then losing the belt

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

That Kenny/Will match is the best thing I’ve seen in my life

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
hey wait a minute... TMDK's not Suzuki-gun!!!!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So.... the Yokohama show is another NOAH crossover, right? Probably with KENOH vs Naito and Shingo vs Nakajima in singles matches?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jerusalem posted:

Really hoping I can get to Japan again sometime in the next couple of years, I had a blast but barely scratched the surface of everything I wanted to see, but that was okay because I'd planned with family to arrange going to the Olympics in 2020 and traveling a fair bit more around the country. Welp.

Yeah I definitely was like "I'm going to the Olympics in 2020!!!!"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I tapped out of last night around the halfway mark (the ZSJ match) because I had work and had to sleep. Any particular matches afterward that I should watch the VOD on? I want to watch the Omega-Osprey match at least.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

All the matches after that are great but Kenny/Will and the main should be priority.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m at the main event and I always forget how poo poo the heavyweight belt is now

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

So.... the Yokohama show is another NOAH crossover, right? Probably with KENOH vs Naito and Shingo vs Nakajima in singles matches?

Co-promoted with NOAH from what I remember. Which also means if won’t be live on NJPW World, will be a separate PPV.

Nothing’s confirmed but they did show the interruption of LIJ’s post-match presser on the Jumbotron after the show ended so strong possibility there’s more news and a card after tonight’s New Years Dash.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m at the main event and I always forget how poo poo the heavyweight belt is now
they made a belt out of cody’s neck tattoo and then he went back to the fed before he could win it :(

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Like the new bullet club theme the new title has grown on me.

Njpw always wins me over with its hideous design choices eventually

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

will/kenny was transcendent. incredible match

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Like the new bullet club theme the new title has grown on me.

Njpw always wins me over with its hideous design choices eventually

I kinda agree, but that tv title...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Main event wassssss pretty boring!

Everything else was good to great. Favorite match was probably Bishamon vs. FTR.

I love Karl Anderson showing up, actually working his rear end off, having a great Tokyo Dome NEVER Openweight match, and then having a horrible derailing botch at the very end. :lol:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Does anyone have a gif of Jay's little clap dance?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Joey McChrist posted:

will/kenny was transcendent. incredible match

It’s better than any singles match he’s had since he left the company

Tony Khan should be having a real salty conversation with him about where the gently caress this Kenny has been yeah I know he was wrestling all banged up that’s not the point nerd

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Doesn't help that Kenny only gets to go over 20 minutes a few times a year in AEW

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A pretty fun show! It made me yearn for the days of watching the G1 and writing blog posts that no one read. I don’t know what about New Japan makes me want to write about wrestling again when other promotions I watch and enjoy don’t, but I’m feeling the itch to maybe try and keep watching regularly. And maybe find something to write about, too.

Wish the women’s match was longer because they both rule. Mercedes looked great but sounded like she had a cold. Has she always sounded like this and I just forgot because I haven’t watched WWE in years? All I could think of the entire time she was talking was Sarah from Marty & Sarah’s impression of her.

Omega/Ospreay was literally insane. Cannot lie, I got very excited when Elevation kicked in. What a loving good theme.

Main event was also good, but hard to follow what was before it.

And if I may,

YOSHI FUCKIN HASHI BABY

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is it Violet or Violent Screwdriver? I have no idea which of those is better.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I know Omega/Ospreay will get more love, but I honestly enjoyed White/Okada a bit more.

The former was all over the place and great all around, but for some reason I preferred the more pure wrestling approach; even the Gedo interruptions were mild tbh. The latter was needed as a downer (and I mean that in the best way) from the previous match and needed to bring the whole card home, and it definitely delivered.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

Is it Violet or Violent Screwdriver? I have no idea which of those is better.

Violet screwdriver I believe. Because purple is Tam's colour. She's cool.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s better than any singles match he’s had since he left the company

Tony Khan should be having a real salty conversation with him about where the gently caress this Kenny has been yeah I know he was wrestling all banged up that’s not the point nerd

I am sincerely baffled by this opinion. Even as the usual hyperbole that gets deployed on here.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Lamuella posted:

I am sincerely baffled by this opinion. Even as the usual hyperbole that gets deployed on here.

I don't think Tony Khan should/will have any heat for Kenny, but it's definitely his best singles match in years

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

since bc era is over it should be tmdk era from now on

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

I'm not but I think the real answer as to why there are people who think AEW Kenny isn't the same is entirely on the production value differences and how long the NJPW matches are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That TMDK bit was funny, my friend and I started clapping the second Zack put on the shirt.

Mad Mikey for 6 man champ