Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wentz has to be a career backup by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

If the NBA can do the bubble tournament, I think the NFL can, with great effort and difficulty, push each playoff game back a week and keep the Super Bowl on February 12, 2023. They can but they might not want to.

The Super Bowl is strictly immovable because it is a global event and you need to have valid visas and arrangements for everyone covering (and funding) the event. The Pro Bowl can be moved into the offseason or canceled because nobody has been named yet and they were going to hold a flag football/combine skills showcase instead of an exhibition scrimmage anyway.

It will be incredibly arduous, but I believe it is possible to move the start of the playoffs back a week, because every other subsequent playoff venue (not occupied by a team that has clinched a bye) is only selected once the previous week's result come in. Prepping the teams and the stadium for game day has always been on a week-by-week basis save for the Super Bowl. But it would also make this year the asterisk year where there was no prep week before the Super Bowl, the quality of play could suffer, or worse the players would suffer further life-threatening injuries.

Simplex posted:

I doubt the NFL goes in that direction, but I think it's much less of a problem than people are making it out to be.

I don't put anything past the NFL, I feel Bills @ Cincy was surely the exception, that the head office's hand was forced. I don't expect the NFL to be compassionate going forward.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Don't want anymore Niners to get hurt. Please.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Simplex posted:

Yeah, except I already said the Super Bowl is the only thing they can't change the date and time.
The point is is that the talking point has been beaten into the ground and no one cares about your, or anyone elses, thoughts about how to fix the situation with the Bills/Bengals game being "postponed". I'm sure every one has thought about what they think is best but the rest of us are sick of reading about every one elses idea on how to fix it.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The point is is that the talking point has been beaten into the ground and no one cares about your, or anyone elses, thoughts about how to fix the situation with the Bills/Bengals game being "postponed". I'm sure every one has thought about what they think is best but the rest of us are sick of reading about every one elses idea on how to fix it.

Have we gotten Elon Musk's input?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

The NFL needs to have a 19 week season where each team gets two byes. And now they'll put a bye between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs in case of future pandemic, natural disaster, or traumatic player health tragedy.

I agree with you there. That's real clear. However,

This is the thread for that talking point. Everyone talks about their own team in the division threads, the coaches in the coach thread, and the quarterback in the quarterback thread. Two days doesn't make something old news. News and Views in the N/V Thread. Do I agree with you that there should be 19 weeks? Yes. But this isn't the Week 19 thread.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TDepressionEarl posted:

This is the thread for that talking point. Everyone talks about their own team in the division threads, the coaches in the coach thread, and the quarterback in the quarterback thread. Two days doesn't make something old news. News and Views in the N/V Thread. Do I agree with you that there should be 19 weeks? Yes. But this isn't the Week 19 thread.
I'm not trying to backseat mod so I'm not going to argue about it. At this point it should have its own thread because some people want to talk about it while most people dont care to read about it anymore. Its not exactly a week 18 topic if we want to get pedantic. I understand people want to talk about it and thats completely fine, but there are other topics to talk about for week for week 18, too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

This is the first time he's been benched twice in a year and third-stringed. I can't imagine how much lower he can fall without being out of the league outright

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chris James 2 posted:

This is the first time he's been benched twice in a year and third-stringed. I can't imagine how much lower he can fall without being out of the league outright

Lower would be playing for the Browns or Texans or being buried on a depth chart behind… let’s say Nathan Peterman.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think Wentz still has a future by earning Washington a 6th rounder.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think Wentz still has a future by earning Washington a 6th rounder.
I dunno man, if he bombed out in Washington of all places, I dont think anyone is going to trade for that contract again.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Have we gotten Elon Musk's input?

Twitter poll that he deletes and never mentions again when he realizes the result is not going his way

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mega64 posted:

If he's as insufferable as all the reports indicate he might not even be that.

He was in his early thirties, sure, but Jeff George couldn't' get a backup job just 2 years after winning CBPOTY because he was such an rear end in a top hat.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay, but, seriously: is anyone actually expecting the Bills, any of the Bills, to suit up and go out there on Sunday morning if Hamlin is anything less than awake, alert and responsive?

Some of those guys literally watched a man fall over dead next to them, like a puppet with cut strings. They're grappling with how it could happen to any of them and how their dear friend and teammate could very well be properly dead. This isn't the kind of thing you process in six days.

I think the Bengals can probably readjust enough to put on something resembling a football game (although I suspect Tee Higgins' entire remaining season is probably over, of his own volition) but even if they do put on helmets and lace up shoes, I can't imagine the Bills are going to be in anything like a head-space to actually play a football game.

I know there's reporting now that they're beginning prep to try and play that game, but jesus christ I just can't imagine how they're going to actually do that, Tough Football Men or no.

Man this situation is just so terrible all around. :smith:

Of course, if Hamlin manages to wake up in the next 72 hours or so and turns out to be at least mostly okay, that'd change the mood somewhat and we'll get treated to the Bills giving the Pats wedgies up and down the field. Boy, I had to consider that line and think about the language we use to describe football games.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs signed Andy Reid as coach ten years ago today.

Nov 6, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, but, seriously: is anyone actually expecting the Bills, any of the Bills, to suit up and go out there on Sunday morning if Hamlin is anything less than awake, alert and responsive?

Some of those guys literally watched a man fall over dead next to them, like a puppet with cut strings. They're grappling with how it could happen to any of them and how their dear friend and teammate could very well be properly dead. This isn't the kind of thing you process in six days.

I think the Bengals can probably readjust enough to put on something resembling a football game (although I suspect Tee Higgins' entire remaining season is probably over, of his own volition) but even if they do put on helmets and lace up shoes, I can't imagine the Bills are going to be in anything like a head-space to actually play a football game.

I know there's reporting now that they're beginning prep to try and play that game, but jesus christ I just can't imagine how they're going to actually do that, Tough Football Men or no.

Of course, if Hamlin manages to wake up in the next 72 hours or so and turns out to be at least mostly okay, that'd change the mood somewhat and we'll get treated to the Bills giving the Pats wedgies up and down the field. Boy, I had to consider that line and think about the language we use to describe football games.

I think people handle adversity in all kinds of ways - think of Favre's lengendary MNF game after his father died.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are plenty of Bills who want to get on that field and obliterate the Patriots in honor of their teammate.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mega64 posted:

There is no point of even having Wentz as a backup because you ideally you want your backup to not come in and totally implode the game away on his own

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Boy, I had to consider that line and think about the language we use to describe football games.

Ryan Clark's remarks about football metaphors Monday night were incredibly on point.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I dunno man, if he bombed out in Washington of all places, I dont think anyone is going to trade for that contract again.
What's that? Could it be? I think it's George Pattons music!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

the only person i could see not playing on sunday to process things is tee higgins. in the moment of that game where it happened no one was going to go back out there, but athletes are wired to compete and i suspect pretty much all of them will be right back at it now that time has passed and we're at a stable point

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

I'm not trying to backseat mod so I'm not going to argue about it. At this point it should have its own thread because some people want to talk about it while most people dont care to read about it anymore. Its not exactly a week 18 topic if we want to get pedantic. I understand people want to talk about it and thats completely fine, but there are other topics to talk about for week for week 18, too.

You're right. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021210

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Dango Bango posted:

Ryan Clark's remarks about football metaphors Monday night were incredibly on point.

From listening to the radio and hearing it on TV, Sports metaphors in general (not just football) have moved away from humanizing terms like "player" to de-humanizing terms like assets, pieces, weapons, battles. Ryan Clark's discussion from Monday night only put those terms in more of a stark contrast. The players are being presented more things to be used and discarded.

However, discussions around superstars are things like "quarterback name" needs more weapons around him so he can go out there and win the super bowl.

It's weird and disconcerting. The discussion in media seems to really deemphasize the team aspect of these sports. Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong media, but that's what I hear.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

I actually expect the large majority of the team to do so. It's a very common and cliched sports mindset to go "I need to do this for _____" in the face of tragedy. I imagine most players on the team will think a win and even playoff success is one of the greatest ways to honor him.

That being said, of course this is an unprecedented experience. Ryan Clark's perspective immediately after on ESPN was interesting, specifically how he went to Tomlin with a team of doctors and experts to try to play in Denver again and Tomlin had to kick them all out and tell him it's not happening. They're all crazy, for many this sport is all they know, and it is the biggest impact on how they function in life.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Nodoze posted:

There is no point of even having Wentz as a backup because you ideally you want your backup to not come in and totally implode the game away on his own

I legitimately think there's a drat good chance Washington cuts Wentz and he's just out of the league. What does he really offer at this point?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Q_res posted:

I legitimately think there's a drat good chance Washington cuts Wentz and he's just out of the league. What does he really offer at this point?

Tall, white, big arm and had that 1 year he was almost mvp. Trust me I can fix him

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

It'll be same as always with an extra prayer circle about manning it up for the hamman.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The Dave posted:

I actually expect the large majority of the team to do so. It's a very common and cliched sports mindset to go "I need to do this for _____" in the face of tragedy. I imagine most players on the team will think a win and even playoff success is one of the greatest ways to honor him.

That being said, of course this is an unprecedented experience. Ryan Clark's perspective immediately after on ESPN was interesting, specifically how he went to Tomlin with a team of doctors and experts to try to play in Denver again and Tomlin had to kick them all out and tell him it's not happening. They're all crazy, for many this sport is all they know, and it is the biggest impact on how they function in life.

drat, tomlin owns

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Tall, white, big arm and had that 1 year he was almost mvp. Trust me I can fix him

:lol::lol: Okay you've convinced me. Josh McDaniels will bring him in as Brady's backup in Vegas.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

SpaceDrake posted:

I imagine a lot of players are learning what commotio cordis is for the first time and maybe wondering if football is still worth it. At the very least, I could see more guys shying away from direct hits because they don’t want to be the next Hamlin.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Backup QB isn't a measure of skill. It's a measure of good vibes. Carson Wentz has nauseatingly bad vibes. The ideal backup is like Drew Stanton: the offense can move the ball, and the starter's job isn't a looming decision over the locker room

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Backups are obviously not good enough to be starters, but that doesn't mean you want someone like Wentz as your backup who at any given moment can totally implode the game. Ideally you have someone who can manage the game and not give it away and those words will never describe Carson Wentz

Nov 6, 2002

Q_res posted:

He can shoot a lot of ducks.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Q_res posted:

Top 64 QB play (as an aggregate at least).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's Peterman time.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Forrest on Fire posted:

Backup QB isn't a measure of skill. It's a measure of good vibes. Carson Wentz has nauseatingly bad vibes. The ideal backup is like Drew Stanton: the offense can move the ball, and the starter's job isn't a looming decision over the locker room

https://i.imgur.com/IYJ6eGr.mp4

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Odds for a Bears #1 pick are increasing.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1610696914382602260

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If the Bears are gonna do this the Texans should start *checks notes* Kyle Allen. We need to see what we have!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1610702024391245848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's Peterman time.

This is the shot of joy we needed after Monday’s heartache.