Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
You can go nearly the entirety of the game with no Cyclops, though you will need to finish it eventually.
You'll just be doing a whole lot of foot/grapple work instead.

Page snipe, have a list of SN backgrounds
I've been looking for a better quality of the Crabsquid one for awhile

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/7rf57a/subnautica_steam_backgrounds_what_is_background_03/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You don't need the cyclops for the end game, no. The prawn will do just fine. Also don't use vehicles indoors, it's about as good an idea ingame as it would be in reality.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is it just me, or has the Reaper Leviathan gotten more lethal after the recent patch?
It used to be that it would grab your seamoth and take half the health before letting go, now it just keeps shaking until the thing is destroyed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Last time I finished the game, I did it in the Prawn because the Cyclops sucks. But I got so completely lost that after an hour I just gave up and warped myself to the last area.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Man that subreddit has some asinine content.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t listen to these clowns, find those cyclops parts, build one, and drive it around like a loving boss. I color mine red and black and name it Red October.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You don't need the cyclops for the end game, no. The prawn will do just fine. Also don't use vehicles indoors, it's about as good an idea ingame as it would be in reality.

You can do all the exploration in the game without the cyclops, but you will need to build one for other reasons.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t listen to these clowns, find those cyclops parts, build one, and drive it around like a loving boss. I color mine red and black and name it Red October.

Yeah, the Cyclops is what took me from the feeling of barely surviving the experience and living at the edge to "I'm master of the seas!". It was an important milestone in the last leg of the game for me.

Learning how maneuver it though the deep was tricky though.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ardeem posted:

You can do all the exploration in the game without the cyclops, but you will need to build one for other reasons.

Clearly been a long time since I played last. What part needs to be manufactured in it again?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Clearly been a long time since I played last. What part needs to be manufactured in it again?

the shield module is needed for the escape rocket.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

Yeah, the Cyclops is what took me from the feeling of barely surviving the experience and living at the edge to "I'm master of the seas!". It was an important milestone in the last leg of the game for me.

Learning how maneuver it though the deep was tricky though.

You can ram it and scrape it along cave walls with no problem, the only real danger is the levitations. Though I don’t take it anywhere till I get the sonar upgrade.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Prawn comically sank into a really deep cave and I couldn't get it out. I had to travel to it with the Seamoth to salvage the inventory. I'm hoping to make an upgrade module and bring it to the Prawn, although it'll likely be easier to just build a new Prawn instead.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
My prawn once fell into a hole in the Safe Shallows that was EXACTLY large enough for it to fall into, but not large enough to jump straight back out of. One of the little holes that lead to a tiny little cave network with a piece of quartz or two in it. Only about four meters deep.

It wasn't a bug. I just stepped in the wrong place, and, vwoop, fell down an open manhole, basically.

I had to abandon it and build a new one. And to laugh, because what else was there to do? Because it was hilarious, once my annoyance wore off.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The voice assistant mentioned that I should adopt a pet to deal with the isolation. I have an aquarium, but the Prawn feels more like a friend. "Hey buddy. How's the cave today?"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

All the leviathan-class predators get pissed off by light and/or sound, consider emitting as little as possible of either if you want your Cyclops un-chewed.

All the leviathan-class predators can be convinced to leave your Prawn suit alone via robotic fisticuffs. Just because your mech suit is for research and construction doesn't mean you can't gently caress up a big fish with it, don't be shy!

Running aft from the cockpit to leap into your docked Prawn while the Cyclops is getting hosed up by a Leviathan, then uncoupling into a jump jet burn into a grappling hook capture into beating the gently caress out of some huge glowing rear end in a top hat is a good time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The regular claw arm might do more damage, but spider-manning your way to a reaper’s face and force-feeding it your drill is far more satisfying :getin:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Aoi posted:

My prawn once fell into a hole in the Safe Shallows that was EXACTLY large enough for it to fall into, but not large enough to jump straight back out of. One of the little holes that lead to a tiny little cave network with a piece of quartz or two in it. Only about four meters deep.

It wasn't a bug. I just stepped in the wrong place, and, vwoop, fell down an open manhole, basically.

I had to abandon it and build a new one. And to laugh, because what else was there to do? Because it was hilarious, once my annoyance wore off.

Once I got my cyclops stuck coming up from the lost river, jammed on some cave walls. I got into my prawn and jumped on top of the cyclops until it broke free. Felt great.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I really wonder why they decided to put any above ground sections in the game, they really reveal just how unsuited the game is to non-underwater environments. They look terrible graphics-wise compared to underwater (especially the obviously repeating texture of the ocean surface when you view it from any kind of elevation), and there's a constant string of reminders that the game is not designed around this; bubbles randomly appearing in thin air, the thermoblade model obviously looking like it's underwater, kill a skyray and watch its corpse gently float away etc. Plus there's the schools of fish randomly floating through your base, but then at least the ability to build and inhabit undersea structures seems like a worthwhile feature, can't really say the same for the island sections.

I ended up having to completely abandon my original save file and start over thanks to the gamebreaking bug I mentioned earlier, but it ended up being not too big a hassle to get caught up now that I know vaguely what I'm doing. I find myself strangely enjoying the game more now that some of the mystery is gone actually; while the atmosphere and tension was incredible starting out, I actually found it made playing just sort of low-level stressful and I had to sort of force myself to push on a little bit, now that's calmed down I'm finding it quite a bit more relaxing and enjoyable. The technical issues are a real shame though, it's a testament to how good the core game is that I'm still playing because some of the issues this game has really are not acceptable for a game that's been in active development for so long imo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The above-ground sections are there because they are the supposedly safe and familiar environments that are hospitable to human habitation, and serve to contrast with the rest of the game. It really contextualizes the differences you get from being underwater. In Below Zero they tried to make more interesting surface sections, but they end up a lot more heavily scripted, and they don't really commit that much to the gimmick of the harmful cold.

I never used an energy cell charger, I just used the moonpool.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah, if you get a Moon Pool up you can go to the location on a docked vehicle where the power cells are (lower rear for the Seamoth, either shoulder for the Prawn) and swap in dead cells for charging like you swap a dead battery from handheld equipment. It's a fast charge, too, way better than the wall charger as long as you don't mind getting a little wet.

e: this is absolutely a game which is incredible despite itself, and which the developers will never really be able to get to its full potential without a fresh-engine rewrite. A real Star Trek The Motion Picture-type situation.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Playing the original game again has definitely made me appreciate how compressed the Below Zero map is, and how few empty areas there are.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just did a playthrough of the original with the new update. Pop in is a lot better. Used the large multipurpose room and glass ceiling which was cool.

Once again got super annoyed I got through the whole game without the cyclops and then needed its fabricator.

Was delighted to find another voice recording done by Appsro of Neebs Gaming that I hadn’t noticed/recognized before.

Wish I could erase my memory of the game so I could play it fresh again. Nothing beats that first playthrough.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I made a Prawn and a Cyclops. The deepest I've gone is 300 metres. I tried to follow the Degasi log saying they want to dive to 500 metres, but it doesn't say where exactly to go, and when I go south a leviathan tries to eat my Cyclops.

What percentage of the game have I completed?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Chamale posted:

I made a Prawn and a Cyclops. The deepest I've gone is 300 metres. I tried to follow the Degasi log saying they want to dive to 500 metres, but it doesn't say where exactly to go, and when I go south a leviathan tries to eat my Cyclops.

Like, 1/2 to 1/4 depending on what other things you've also done.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chamale posted:

I thought the things under the spoiler tags were marked on your HUD?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chamale posted:

Can you build a modification station yet? You probably already have the blueprints but may not know it’s a thing to build.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Real talk: I found a reinforced swim suit. How much do I have to fear the terrifying big fish keeping me from submersible dominance?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Real talk: I found a reinforced swim suit. How much do I have to fear the terrifying big fish keeping me from submersible dominance?

You still never want to engage a Reaper outside a vehicle, but if you're caught out you probably won't be instagibbed

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Build and equip that, but know it’s mostly for heat protection. A reaper is still gonna kill you in two chomps.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Build and equip that, but know it’s mostly for heat protection. A reaper is still gonna kill you in two chomps.

Two chomps is all I need. :clint:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you can hear roaring at any level but the most distant you don't want to be outside a vehicle for any longer than absolutely necessary, that generally won't change throughout the game no matter your upgrades

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Chamale posted:

There is a PDA that gives you a marker, but its sort of hidden and missed by many.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

OgNar posted:

There is a PDA that gives you a marker, but its sort of hidden and missed by many.

Played through this game three times and never saw this

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Played through this game three times and never saw this

I played through at more before I tracked down where it was.
Some playthroughs I would find it and others not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OgNar posted:

This is definitely what's missing. All major plot points are literally pointed out for you if you've found everything, and this thing is routinely missed, if this thread is anything to go by.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No Dignity posted:

If you can hear roaring at any level but the most distant you don't want to be outside a vehicle for any longer than absolutely necessary, that generally won't change throughout the game no matter your upgrades

I don't know the two cephalopod things down by the 500m site really haven't hosed with me more than once and are otherwise quite easy to avoid even in the Prawn. Actually the only real threat I had was a couple of Bone sharks which I dealt with easily enough (by swimming running them) and obviously the Reaper. What shocked me about the Reaper was how it clearly came targeting me from pretty much nowhere and didn't stop CHASING me. And the fucker's fast. Almost got the Sea Moth. I don't think a glider is as fast as moth so I'm pretty sure I'd be a sitting down in any other mode of movement.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

OgNar posted:

Holy poo poo.

Wouldn't be the first time I missed a PDA and wandered around in confusion for hours. Thanks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You should wear the reinforced dive suit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know if it still works because I definitely did it in EA, but I would spiderman grapple reapers in a PRAWN and then drill it to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Of all the things I could have missed in both games I spent hours scouring the Below Zero map for any human settlement or wreck that could possibly have a blueprint for hydraulic fluid for the bridge. Went all the way down and back multiple times.

Finally googled it and was loving pissed as hell.