Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Agean90 posted:

The system the game uses to determine how many divisions each side gets is super fucky imo. Without a screenshot what's probably happened is that they had a series of battles where they had more troops, and so bigger attack/defense numbers than you and the one where you steamrolled them you were probably closer to parity.

Not being able to use overwhelming numbers is a loving bizarre design choice. Nothing like having 2:1 numbers and multiple generals, but only fighting one battle at a time out numbered.

Is there a good mod to balance that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880945323&searchtext=predictable+battlesize

quote:

The default battlesize calculation in Victoria III includes a randomfactor that reduces the battlesize for attackers by up to 66% and for defenders by up to 50%. This mod removes this and sets a fixed battlesize reduction of 33% for attackers and 25% for defenders to keep this defender advantage. A battlesize bonus of +25% has been added per 100% battalions more than the enemy at a front. This bonus is capped at +100%. The bonus is intended to allow larger armies at a lower tech level to compete with smaller high-tech armies.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Star posted:

There’s even more than that. The mod adds a newspaper building that produces broadsheets and other goods that pops consumes. There are also various events where the newspapers print articles critical of the government and you need to decide whether to censure them or not. Like, I can understand what they are going for but there are so many other things that should have a higher priority.

I mean, I think newspapers as a good makes a good amount of sense.
But "Journalists" can just be folded into academics, clerks, etc.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tomn posted:

To be honest I feel like half the point of mods is to satisfy people with weird priorities. The kind of thing that would normally have a low priority for the actual devs but which someone is absolutely convinced is the most important thing in the world for whatever reason. Sometimes that means the modder thinks Paradox isn't fixing how warfare works fast enough, sometimes the modder thinks what the game truly needs is a full-fledged currency system, sometimes it means that the modder really thinks Queen Victoria needs a 3D anime model.
I can't speak to warfare, but the other two are absolute required.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I mean, I think newspapers as a good makes a good amount of sense.
But "Journalists" can just be folded into academics, clerks, etc.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. A journalist pop is just a waste of resources, unless you can like actually imprison/execute them all to stop the news.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It would make sense to have journalist pops if there are no separate newspaper factories, but newspapers just be a side effect of city centers. Or, you know, it would make more sense for clerks POP to be employed as journalists there. Depending on laws they'd produce different stuff and generate different events.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Demon_Corsair posted:

Not being able to use overwhelming numbers is a loving bizarre design choice. Nothing like having 2:1 numbers and multiple generals, but only fighting one battle at a time out numbered.

Is there a good mod to balance that?

Numbers not being auto-win is good but it needs fuckin something

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Demon_Corsair posted:

How does one make any loving sense of the loving war system in this game?

I'm trying an Ethiopia run which involves a bunch of conquering, and it just seems completely random. Some attempts my 2x poo poo troops vs their poo poo troops just steam rolls them, and then I'll have to restart and the next game they just steam roll me.

Last time I was able to fight of 3 of my neighbors in one war, and this game one of those neighbors just rolled over me like I didn't even have an army.

How the gently caress do you manage any of this? Do you just hope and pray or have overwhelming tech?

Also, if you're trying an Ethiopia run note that the early Outlaw Prince event gives you a leader with a character specific massive offensive bonus. You have to go into the character tab and make them a general though. It does kinda feel like cheating when your offense is twice what it'd otherwise be.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

just another day at the journalism factory with 40,000 of my fellow journalists

Well how else are you supposed to manufacture consent?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm trying an Ethiopia run which involves a bunch of conquering, and it just seems completely random. Some attempts my 2x poo poo troops vs their poo poo troops just steam rolls them, and then I'll have to restart and the next game they just steam roll me.

Last time I was able to fight of 3 of my neighbors in one war, and this game one of those neighbors just rolled over me like I didn't even have an army.

How the gently caress do you manage any of this? Do you just hope and pray or have overwhelming tech?

In my experience in an Ethiopia run the game doesn't properly tell you about the morale of your units when it gives you the prediction outcome for that front, so it might have been that.

But yeah the warfare in this game is very obfuscated.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I really like The Great Rework. My only major issues with it is the addition of a couple unnecessary pops and the overcomplication of naval PMs. Played a few hours of it multiplayer and had a blast.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

just another day at the journalism factory with 40,000 of my fellow journalists

hitting the consent girder with a big hammer labeled manufacturing

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

600 person assembly line hand-drawing Dilbert comics in time for the morning deadline

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

journo pops lmao

I thought shopkeepers as a whole cover that class? Educated professionals and what not?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

journo pops lmao

I thought shopkeepers as a whole cover that class? Educated professionals and what not?

Are you claiming journos are petit boug and not intelligentsia? Because that's a very strange idea.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Does anyone know if the Enlightened Despot achievement requires you to have all owned states with electric streetlights? Or is it just all incorporated states? Because if it's the former I think I need to restart this run.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You don't have to power or maintain the streetlights, just decree that they be installed. As long as every state has enough buildings to have at least a level 1 urban center, you can just flip for a day and then revert.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

You have to go down a level to look at it, but particularly in early wars it's easy for brigades to be effectively unable to replenish losses for various reasons. Thus while the numbers look in your favor, in actual fact you have 10 brigades of 30 starving retirees each vs their 7 brigades of 1,000. This was the #1 cause of Mysterious Ethiopian Defeat IME.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

MatchaZed posted:

Are you claiming journos are petit boug and not intelligentsia? Because that's a very strange idea.

You don't need a separate pop type for that, just add "employed in journalism factory" as an IG attraction factor for intelligentsia

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

honestly newspapers sounds like something you fold into another industry. Make it a secondary pm for paper factories or smth.

Wonder if any of the mods make it so you can turn off the primary pm of factories so long as you have the secondary active, would be nice to just have a convoy shipyard and a military shipyard

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Agean90 posted:

honestly newspapers sounds like something you fold into another industry. Make it a secondary pm for paper factories or smth.

Wonder if any of the mods make it so you can turn off the primary pm of factories so long as you have the secondary active, would be nice to just have a convoy shipyard and a military shipyard

I like the idea for a secondary Paper Factory PM.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Numbers not being auto-win is good but it needs fuckin something

the larger the front line, the more numbers should matter, i feel should be the case. (maybe it's already the case, I haven't bothered yet with anything more than fire and forget a general on a line all the way to victory)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

journo pops lmao

Shopkeepers aren't educated, it's probably academics. But mod makers have never seen something that wouldn't be improved with 400 extra interchangeable categories, I'm surprised there isn't a mod adding separate mines for every metal.

also lol at the rework mod including an option to "decentralize all African countries"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Mandoric posted:

You don't have to power or maintain the streetlights, just decree that they be installed. As long as every state has enough buildings to have at least a level 1 urban center, you can just flip for a day and then revert.

Yeah but I colonized a bunch of Oceanic islands. Whoops! Don't think they'll be getting an urban center anytime soon. Thanks for the confirmation.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There’s some real problems with the prediction algorithms in the game - both the combat predictions and economic predictions are pretty useless.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

James Garfield posted:

also lol at the rework mod including an option to "decentralize all African countries"

Of loving course there is, why am I even surprised?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't get it, what does that mean?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Same dude released a concentration camp mod on day one but it got pulled soon after

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Decentralized countries are the unplayable ones you can colonize

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
There's a surprising amount of cringelords and Kaiserboos out there. I still like conquering a continent as a highly-educated Council Republic.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

"Africa was populated by savages who had no civilization"

Meanwhile all the dogs in the neighborhood are going crazy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well how else are you supposed to manufacture consent?

This is a very good post.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Agean90 posted:

The great rework mod splits shipyards into civilian and military, IIRC.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am trying a Qing game to get the Hegemon achievement.
1) gently caress whoever made the sub objective to be exactly 5 subjects, if you have more it does not trigger
2) 1870s and Monday Morning take over a minute already, I am not sure how I‘ll ever finish this campaign

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm glad I upgraded my PC last year, because in the games I've played I haven't had any slowdowns of note. It certainly goes slower on speed 4 and 5 later in the game than earlier, but compared to late-game Stellaris it's still blazing fast. I'm running fairly light on mods though (UI mods only) so that might be a contributing factor.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MatchaZed posted:

shopkeepers have a positive intelligentsia weight too fwiw, just not as much as PB.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Newspaper factories should allow capitalists to become aristocrats in later non-monarchy societies so you can end up with your hearsts et al

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Tahirovic posted:

I am trying a Qing game to get the Hegemon achievement.
1) gently caress whoever made the sub objective to be exactly 5 subjects, if you have more it does not trigger
2) 1870s and Monday Morning take over a minute already, I am not sure how I‘ll ever finish this campaign

Make sure you are Great power as the game doesn't count "vassal" type subjects at all. It's stupid, but then it should work as intended.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
One thing I’d like to see at some point, probably in a DLC, is regional politics. Right now regionalism only happens if there’s so much dissent a movement for outright independence happens. It’d be interesting to see regions or local ethnic groups agitate for better conditions, more jobs etc. with political pressure short of outright war. Not sure how you’d do that and fit it into the existing political system though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Shopkeepers aren't educated, it's probably academics. But mod makers have never seen something that wouldn't be improved with 400 extra interchangeable categories, I'm surprised there isn't a mod adding separate mines for every metal.

Egypt, famously decentralized.

Glad(?) to see that the Great Rework's developer is exactly the kind of person I thought they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Goatson posted:

Make sure you are Great power as the game doesn't count "vassal" type subjects at all. It's stupid, but then it should work as intended.

I had to eat up all the vassals I stole from GB (transfer subject on EIC is funny), then it triggered but now I am waiting for the next sub objective to trigger.

My biggest problem over all is still performance, playing this in boot camp on a 2016 Mac Book Pro.
Kinda wonder now how this performs on M1/M2.

Fake edit: I ate up a lot of Asian minors/OPMs but it has no impact on performance, I think the biggest impact really is pops, so I might have to reinstall an assimilation mod.