Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

River from some dumb 1 year old console pleb game or whatever.

I bet they didn't even have to make international studios with 1,000 employees. They know nothing about game dev. :cheerdoge:

I'm terribly sorry to burst your bubble, but a crater in Star Citizen is many times bigger than the entire world of that very bland game of yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Star Citizen: it can be a lot to swallow for some. :mods:

If you have to compare a game to DNF to paint it in a good light, you know you have a problem.
Btw, E:D was developed in 3 years, NMS in 4 years, Cyberpunk in 5 years. I guess if you compare SC's development time to bullshit pulled out of your rear end, it might look better.

Not sure why two main competitors of a space sim game should be two fantasy MMOs, one of which doesn't even exist and it's another forgotten Kickstarter MMO scam.

:lol: at waiting another 3 more years

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Fresh off of r/valheim today, a great example of why good visual design always trumps fidelity in video games.

I mean Valheim has both, because you could transform that forest into a barren wasteland with some time and an axe.

Or a Troll :v:

And the trees have actual falling physics and can damage you, other players, animals and enemies. And they would stay there until picked up.
Basically, all the backers want, Valheim already has.

Happy New Year goonmandos, and remember You need Platinum Account to view this content

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

Btw, E:D was developed in 3 years, NMS in 4 years, Cyberpunk in 5 years. I guess if you compare SC's development time to bullshit pulled out of your rear end, it might look better.

It's pretty wild to think that ED has been running for over 8 years, with full-scale procgen landable planets for 7 of these, and a FPS mode which is closing on its first year. With taken-for-granted persistence meaning your account/money/ships/whatever never ever got reset since. SC/ED kickstarted at the same time, and SC is still in funding mode and "Tier 0" stuff in a single star system. Meanwhile, FD have been developing/releasing some 3-4 other games on the side.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 4, 2023

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I haven't checked on SC in years now, but how the gently caress is this shamble of a shitshow still crawling along?

Does Captain B'Tak still feel grief? Do backers still make those out there "memes" with pictures of the devs and Chris Roberts plastered all of them?

But most important of all, do the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the Fourth Stimpire continue?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

I haven't checked on SC in years now, but how the gently caress is this shamble of a shitshow still crawling along?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

:gary::gary::gary::gary::gary::yarg::yarg::yarg::yarg::yarg:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Never underestimate the power of the paaaarp - or stupidity, come to think of it.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

CrazyTolradi posted:

But most important of all, do the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the Fourth Stimpire continue?

Absolutely.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dwesa posted:

If you have to compare a game to DNF to paint it in a good light, you know you have a problem.

Not sure why two main competitors of a space sim game should be two fantasy MMOs, one of which doesn't even exist and it's another forgotten Kickstarter MMO scam.

:lol: at waiting another 3 more years

They love to pull dev time numbers from their asses. Like it’s well documented that CP2077 began development in the spring of 2016, but Citizens will count all the way back to its announcement or even some arbitrary point before that.

Brace yourself for “Starfield was in development for 25 years” think pieces from people like Piss Cat, because Todd Howard made an off-hand comment in the late 90’s about maybe making a space game some day.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

colonelwest posted:

Brace yourself for “Starfield was in development for 25 years” think pieces from people like Piss Cat, because Todd Howard made an off-hand comment in the late 90’s about maybe making a space game some day.

I gotchu fam.

Bonus lulz

Bonus CP2077 started "well before 2012".

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
But Chris started to work on SC well before the kickstarter, as he clearly explains in his initial funding pitch, showing the totally playable game in its current state. :gary:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I gotchu fam.

Bonus lulz

Bonus CP2077 started "well before 2012".

Lol of course… I especially I enjoy them trying to push CP77 back before 2012.

Yes it’s normal and good for a video game studio to gently caress around aimlessly for decades and not produce a single finished product. I’m sure Bethesda has had 800 devs slaving away on Starfield since 1998, just trying to prefect the perfect bedsheet physics.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 4, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I think SC was in concept phase even before WC1 or Freelancer. After a decade in development and $500 million spent, it somehow still lingers partially stuck in concept phase thanks to :crobear:'s clarity of vision. After all, it is THE GAME he always wanted to make. What he always wanted to make changes based on movies he recently saw and games he recently played.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

I think SC was in concept phase even before WC1 or Freelancer. After a decade in development and $500 million spent, it somehow still lingers partially stuck in concept phase thanks to :crobear:'s clarity of vision. After all, it is THE GAME he always wanted to make. What he always wanted to make changes based on movies he recently saw and games he recently played.

Yeah didn't CR say at some point that SC is the game he always wanted to make. So that means it began development in his youth.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
When Chris Roberts was born the doctor told his mother "Congratulations, it's a space game maker" so really SC has been in development his whole life

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Howard Beale posted:

When Chris Roberts was born the doctor told his mother "Congratulations, it's a space game maker" so really SC has been in development his whole life

Chris's mother once visited a mess hall as a little girl, so really the mess hall scene has been in development since this point and the idea was passed to Chris in conception via epigenetics.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Folks, let's be reasonable here

The mess hall scene from Alien (1979) clearly inspired SQ404, so it's been in development for over 40 years.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/QsgIHew.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

lobsterminator posted:

Yeah didn't CR say at some point that SC is the game he always wanted to make. So that means it began development in his youth.

Sort of. SC was to be the game he was not “allowed to” make when he was booted off Freelancer for wasting everyone's time and money. That development happened concurrently with the production of WC:The movie (indeed, WC:TM was where the money meant for Freelancer went), which started when filming on WC4 ended in 1996/97. Yes, filming, because that was the only part of WC4 that CRobber was involved in.

So yes. Going by citizen math, SC has been in development for 27 years.

Hell, even going by Chris' own explicit statement on the topic, development started in 2010, so at this point, no amount of citizen math will actually save them so they have to just outright and consciously lie about it to make their argument work.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 4, 2023

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Tippis posted:

Sort of. SC was to be the game he was not “allowed to” make when he was booted off Freelancer for wasting everyone's time and money. That development happened concurrently with the production of WC:The movie (indeed, WC:TM was where the money meant for Freelancer went), which started when filming on WC4 ended in 1996/97. Yes, filming, because that was the only part of WC4 that CRobber was involved in.

So yes. Going by citizen math, SC has been in development for 27 years.

Hell, even going by Chris' own explicit statement on the topic, development started in 2010, so at this point, no amount of citizen math will actually save them so they have to just outright and consciously lie about it to make their argument work.

But... but... but... the community vote absolved Chris of making that game, and gave him free rein to make this game :crobear:

Check, mate and very much game over FUDgoonailure :smuggo:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Folks on Spectrum are lamenting persistence is causing an invasion of hospital gowns...forget the Vanduuls, the real threat was discarded clothes all along!

This is the kind of dystopian sci-fi setting AAA publishers don't have the guts to fund. :colbert: So realistic, so immersive...thanks Chris! :crobear:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 4, 2023

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Love that PES after years of effort is backfiring this hard immediately

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Virtual Captain posted:

Love that PES after years of effort is backfiring this hard immediately

I mean we all called it ages ago in this very thread

If you give a player the ability to screw with other people or the game itself, they most certainly will

Entire YouTube channels are built over breaking the game / servers, what did they honestly expect to happen?

inb4 they start banning people for a week if they discard more than 1 item in the space of an hour

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Blue On Blue posted:

Entire YouTube channels are built over breaking the game / servers, what did they honestly expect to happen?

If Let's Game it Out joined a star citizen server, the server would immediately shut itself down in fear.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sardonik posted:

If Let's Game it Out joined a star citizen server, the server would immediately shut itself down in fear.

that's exactly who i had in mind too!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

I sure hope that's a rescue Quokka, you ain't suppose to feed or touch them.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sardonik posted:

omg that would be amazing

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

They just need to implement harsh prison sentences for littering.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
So much FUD here, come on people

They are already working on the janitor profession, who will clean the excess clutter. We all know that solution will totally fix the problem :colbert:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FishMcCool posted:

It's pretty wild to think that ED has been running for over 8 years, with full-scale procgen landable planets for 7 of these, and a FPS mode which is closing on its first year. With taken-for-granted persistence meaning your account/money/ships/whatever never ever got reset since. SC/ED kickstarted at the same time, and SC is still in funding mode and "Tier 0" stuff in a single star system. Meanwhile, FD have been developing/releasing some 3-4 other games on the side.

I think the database wipes and database mess ups are some of the most comical aspects of the whole mess.

Not only because it's at the level that most people genuinely take for granted because they have experts who can ensure your db stays accurate and in corrupted, and so nobody talks about it... but because cig is constantly fighting with it and having errors.

This basically resorts back, again, to cig using under skilled people who are barely graduated (maybe) to do complicated functionality. It's not impossible, and it's not breaking new ground, and it's not super hard... it's just that CR seems like he is adamantly determined to be the smartest person in the room and so he never hires industry experts who can set these systems up in their sleep.

So you get years and years of new kids learning how to do what an expert could achieve in a month with less bugs and problems.

Cig is really facing two major problems they need to keep resetting for:
1: The db gets broken because stupid
2: They need to reset wealth every so often so money has value again and people have reason to buy new ships with real money

2 is more fun because even with a working environment, cig can't build a system or economy to save their lives. So after a while it becomes the Oprah show and you log on and get a new ship for you, a new ship for you... etc etc. there's no point in being rich when being rich is meaningless in the game.

So you have nice people who just want to have the real economy... people... remain attracted to the game so they gift money and ships to whoever really.

If you can stop pretending cig is somehow breaking new technological ground with an old version of CryEngine and a mod then you can see the game for what it is, and it's pretty broken even when it works correctly.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FishMcCool posted:

But Chris started to work on SC well before the kickstarter, as he clearly explains in his initial funding pitch, showing the totally playable game in its current state. :gary:

Which I believed he claimed to have done himself with some loyal staff, and definitely backpaid himself for during the Kickstarter, only to have been later discovered that he just farmed it all out to CryTek to build for him.

Code whisperer. :cheerdoge:

But it also paid off later when he made videos of him programming and he acted like he barely knew how to use a keyboard.

Then years later and played his game once and called out things live for looking like trash (like the chat system), and acting like he not only barely knew how to use a controller and computer (as he needed help from Dennis to actually log into it), but it also looked like it was his first time actually playing the game as well.

Since then, he has never played it live ever again... ever.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Folks on Spectrum are lamenting persistence is causing an invasion of hospital gowns...forget the Vanduuls, the real threat was discarded clothes all along!

This is the kind of dystopian sci-fi setting AAA publishers don't have the guts to fund. :colbert: So realistic, so immersive...thanks Chris! :crobear:

Golly.

I never imagined this would be the result.

Never knew.

Had no idea.

Who could have possibly saw this coming?

I'm shocked and surprised.

:jerry:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Shart citizen will eventually in a round about way , after many failed attempts, become Tarkov in space

That is , there will be “regular” wipes of the database , and the citizens will herald this as a good thing and exactly how it was explained from day 1

They’ll also use it fully for the marketing and “drops” potential to bring in new players

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Other comedy will be the walls of trash that just suddenly appear because a player on a different server drops a bunch of junk where you are at, and it gets registered in the shared database and populated to other servers.

You could be fighting against trash from a player you don't even see.

And of course if anyone at cig took literally 5m to think about this instead of take years to develop, they would have come to the conclusion that it's a dumb thing and would have saved themselves years.

But heaven help them to think critically. :magical:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

Shart citizen will eventually in a round about way , after many failed attempts, become Tarkov in space

That is , there will be “regular” wipes of the database , and the citizens will herald this as a good thing and exactly how it was explained from day 1

They’ll also use it fully for the marketing and “drops” potential to bring in new players

There will be wipes forever because cig needs to figure out how to make an economy work that doesn't devalue itself to nothing within a week of players playing the game and then giving out ships and money like water to anyone.

Unfortunately they have Tony Z on the economy simulation I believe and his claim to fame was working on Crusader: No Remorse or something nonsensical.

So obviously the guy who helped make a single player action shooter in the 90's is the kind of genius you want making you MMO economy because I guess he can draw an idea on a whiteboard. :shrug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Other comedy will be the walls of trash that just suddenly appear because a player on a different server drops a bunch of junk where you are at, and it gets registered in the shared database and populated to other servers.

You could be fighting against trash from a player you don't even see.

And of course if anyone at cig took literally 5m to think about this instead of take years to develop, they would have come to the conclusion that it's a dumb thing and would have saved themselves years.

But heaven help them to think critically. :magical:

I still don’t totally understand what their shard mesh server bullshit Is meant to accomplish other than kick the can down the road until they can finally give up on the whole thing

It almost sounded like shards don’t share info , last thing I read

So If I’m on shard A and I drop a pile of poo poo , is it replicated on all the other shards ? Until they crash of course

Or do I need to log back into my specific Shard A to see the creation of my loins ?

Of course this is entirely temporary until their magic comes online enabling all Shards to run the universe as a single entity

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

There will be wipes forever because cig needs to figure out how to make an economy work that doesn't devalue itself to nothing within a week of players playing the game and then giving out ships and money like water to anyone.

Unfortunately they have Tony Z on the economy simulation I believe and his claim to fame was working on Crusader: No Remorse or something nonsensical.

So obviously the guy who helped make a single player action shooter in the 90's is the kind of genius you want making you MMO economy because I guess he can draw an idea on a whiteboard. :shrug:

I loved crusader no remorse and no regret , but you’re right he made a single player game

It in no way gives him the capability to do what he waves his hands about these days

Good for him for convincing someone (Chris) to pay him probably 5 times his before-cig salary though

It’s a race to the bottom friends

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Blue On Blue posted:

I still don’t totally understand what their shard mesh server bullshit Is meant to accomplish other than kick the can down the road until they can finally give up on the whole thing

So If I’m on shard A and I drop a pile of poo poo , is it replicated on all the other shards ? Until they crash of course

Or do I need to log back into my specific Shard A to see the creation of my loins ?

Of course this is entirely temporary until their magic comes online enabling all Shards to run the universe as a single entity

You don't get it, CIG is single handedly solving dirty reads/writes, skews, race conditions, and every other possible database disaster that comes from constantly reading and writing large data chunks from/to many clients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

I think the real question here is "who on CIGs staff has considerable experience making an MMO?"

I thought I recall they finally hired someone who may have worked on WoW... but I can't recall unfortunately.

But even then that was a very recent hire. It will be a long time before they've been able to have their ideas and knowledge become part of the production environment where people can see it all working.

But to your question, I believe the whole point of PES was to allow a person to move from one server to another server as they move around the world.

Somewhere in there they also decided that trash in the world should also be persistent, because it's cig and they can't stay in task to save their lives. :)

But the end goal of it all should be there are many many servers but only one database that everything is logged into, so you can move around and shift servers seamlessly and you don't go to a new server as you are flying and suddenly you're naked and drifting in space and your space ship is gone because you got close to a planet or something.