Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/coleyharvey/status/1610643222690402304?s=46&t=g8njta3bx9h-GYBK-vFWJw
https://twitter.com/coleyharvey/status/1610644029351288833?s=46&t=g8njta3bx9h-GYBK-vFWJw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The ARDS sounds very much less than ideal but I'm still pretty bullish on prognosis.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Not surprising, there’s always going to be wrong reports during something crazy like this. It’s not maliciously done or anything, it’s just what happens when emotions are high during a stressful event.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheKevman posted:

I was always skeptical of the profession as well, having had the former.

Then I had an ex who got in a ski accident, could barely walk, the doctor's answers were painkillers and back surgery, and she met a chiro thru a friend of a friend that was the latter.

Now she walks pain free and doesn't have to go in anymore either for "maintenance" or whatever other term they use to try and get you in all the time.

Yeah when my wife was pregnant with our first child she was suffering from pretty severe back pain. She got referred to a chiro and ended up going out of desperation. He fixed it in like one appointment and she was fine the rest of the duration.

We were both shocked. I am still extremely skeptical of the profession as a whole but apparently there are some people using the title who do real poo poo :shrug:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Dentists and Chiros are pretty much the same health-care adjacent con-men who occasionally actually do something in the patient's best interest.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Never mind error in post

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dietrich posted:

Dentists and Chiros are pretty much the same health-care adjacent con-men who occasionally actually do something in the patient's best interest.
Not true. Old people who have seen dentists all their lives don't get full plate dentures anymore. Dentures used to be so common that denture cream and denture cleaners were advertised on TV.

Why? You used to go to the dentist only if your mouth hurt. At that point, pulling the tooth might be the only answer. In the 1950s, one dentist (forget his name, obit was in the NYT) advocated for regular preventative care. Result? Small cavities were caught and fixed before they became abscesses.

Poor people can't afford preventative dentistry, and dentures are far more expensive now thanks to low demand. It's a double whammy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Poor people can't afford preventative dentistry, and dentures are far more expensive now thanks to low demand. It's a double whammy.

And the only people less likely to accept Medicaid are orthopedic surgeons.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not true. Old people who have seen dentists all their lives don't get full plate dentures anymore. Dentures used to be so common that denture cream and denture cleaners were advertised on TV.

Why? You used to go to the dentist only if your mouth hurt. At that point, pulling the tooth might be the only answer. In the 1950s, one dentist (forget his name, obit was in the NYT) advocated for regular preventative care. Result? Small cavities were caught and fixed before they became abscesses.

I would wager he's probably talking about all the stupid add-on services dentists try to upsell you on.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I didn't serve in the military but out of the friends I have that did there is one appointment you don't miss and its going to the dentist. There were very serious about that.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can confirm I haven't seen a Polydent denture cleaner "look, I just drop my dentures in and it fizzes!" commercial since like 1992.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Yeah when my wife was pregnant with our first child she was suffering from pretty severe back pain. She got referred to a chiro and ended up going out of desperation. He fixed it in like one appointment and she was fine the rest of the duration.

We were both shocked. I am still extremely skeptical of the profession as a whole but apparently there are some people using the title who do real poo poo :shrug:

I feel like most chiros are the quack "I can fix your allergies by adjusting your back" types but I'm assuming there are some out there that actually stick to the scope of what they can and cannot do and are helpful.

Nov 6, 2002

sheri posted:

I feel like most chiros are the quack "I can fix your allergies by adjusting your back" types but I'm assuming there are some out there that actually stick to the scope of what they can and cannot do and are helpful.

I met a Chiro who claimed to have helped a brain damaged child regrow a healthy brain stem. For real.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I met a Chiro who claimed to have helped a brain damaged child regrow a healthy brain stem. For real.

Alex Guerrero?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Doublepost!!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Officially crested 6.25 million. It still isn't slowing down.

Please, godjesus in the seventh heaven, let Hamlin wake up and get to see this absurd outpouring of support and renewed energy for his civic efforts. :pray:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"sedated"
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/04/foot...0a%20ventilator

Get irate

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
On the other hand, it appears previous reports that he was resuscitated twice were in error. He's still under, but folks speaking to the media seem fairly positive; we just need to see what state his brain is in once he comes out of the medically-induced coma.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

What?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

About what, specifically?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

sheri posted:

just go to a physical therapist, they're able to help with physical pain issues and are not going to do a neck adjustment that gives you a stroke

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't discount fear too. There's some interesting papers out there about it. Avoidance rates in countries where the costs are much lower aren't all that different from countries with higher costs.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

George H.W. oval office posted:

I didn't serve in the military but out of the friends I have that did there is one appointment you don't miss and its going to the dentist. There were very serious about that.

HAHAHAHAHAHA what? The reason you didn't miss it is because you HAD to have a clean bill of health from the dentist or you couldn't deploy. That is it. Tricare doesn't cover dental so you're still left without it even if you do 20 and retire (you can pay out of pocket for it, as well as for Tricare since the last admin did away with the whole "free healthcare if you do your full time and retire" business).

I had terrible experiences with Navy dental that still carry over with me today, 12 years after I retired. But sure, it was there and it was free while you are on active duty and like most other things in life, you get what you pay for.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't think I've ever met a dentist that didn't cheat on their wife.

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't think I've ever met a dentist that didn't cheat on their wife.

you try staring down a different pair of tits every 15 minutes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My faith in Dentistry is also now in critical condition after reading all these valuable insights. Thanks guys.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

My faith in Dentistry is also now in critical condition after reading all these valuable insights. Thanks guys.

You're welcome for my service

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I found a great dentist who does no upselling, treated some things with basic work before they got out of hand (and the work hasn’t needed rework), and who saw me immediately when an abcessed tooth caused the worst pain I have ever felt.

This is from someone who hates dentistry so much that I didn’t see a dentist for, oh, 15 years due to some absurdly brutal cleanings and having seven teeth pulled in one sitting when I was 12.

That long break resulted in a cleaning that took 90 minutes and six shots of novocaine to handle the cavitron going deep into my gums. Oh, and a molar that had to be pulled.

tldr: Find a good dentist doesn’t upsell and see them regularly.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

sheri posted:

My brother-in-law is one of those chiros who thinks 3 day old infants need spine adjustments

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Not surprising, there’s always going to be wrong reports during something crazy like this. It’s not maliciously done or anything, it’s just what happens when emotions are high during a stressful event.

Media reports for this are tough since everything is coming from emotional people like family who probably don't understand the nuances and can't really relay technical details very clearly or people that do know what they are talking about but are only guessing because they haven't actually seen him.

Like it's not hard to see a doc explaining to this family that they did some sort of work on him in the ambulance, family interprets that as they brought him back and tell a reporter, unless the reporter has experience with such stories they might just think resuscitate is a cool sounding word, and then the medical analysts go on that because it's a specific thing they can talk about.

The only people that actually have the expertise and access to talk about his specific situation with any detail are all HIPAA people that can't say a thing. Would the docs be okay if they told the family "hey, if you guys are going to talk to the media, please use these specific words so there are no mix-ups"?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I found a great dentist who does no upselling, treated some things with basic work before they got out of hand (and the work hasn’t needed rework), and who saw me immediately when an abcessed tooth caused the worst pain I have ever felt.

This is from someone who hates dentistry so much that I didn’t see a dentist for, oh, 15 years due to some absurdly brutal cleanings and having seven teeth pulled in one sitting when I was 12.

That long break resulted in a cleaning that took 90 minutes and six shots of novocaine to handle the cavitron going deep into my gums. Oh, and a molar that had to be pulled.

tldr: Find a good dentist doesn’t upsell and see them regularly.

I had an amazing dentist that as well that never upsold and always did little small stuff for free. He was an older old school guy. Then he got cancer and went from healthy to dead in under 6 months. I went back for my 6 month appointment and there was a new dentist.

The current dentist that bought the place has turned it into a huge dental/wellness/spa/sleep center and EVERYTHING they do is to sell you another non-dental service. It's insane. She did make it more high tech so scanning and printing a crown right there at your appointment is awesome. But not worth the anxiety of going to what feels like the car lot of dentistry.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 4, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Damar Hamilin Collaspes: Military Dental Megathread

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Cartoon Man posted:

Damar Hamilin Collaspes: Military Dental Megathread

It's either this or baseless and panicked speculation, and imo it's healthier for all involved if it's this

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Breer has some more specifics about the 5 minute thing. It sounds like everyone just started following the letter of the law for resuming play for a bit until saner heads prevailed

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1610656849422082055

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

It's nice to know that not everyone, all the time, is Skip Bayless.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zac Taylor is a good dude.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They updated the gofundme after it crossed $6 million:

quote:

We're simply awestruck by the level of support and generosity we've seen over the past two days. With over $6 million raised, this fundraiser has become an overnight reminder of the incredible nature of humankind. Your actions directly reflect the type of human Damar is himself.

As representatives of Damar, the team at Jaster Athletes posted the fundraiser updates and will work with the Hamlin family, The Chasing M's Foundation, and the GoFundMe team to ensure the safe delivery of funds.

Because the situation is evolving, we'll continue to communicate any updates on the fundraiser. We will also work with GoFundMe to email all donors with more specifics regarding the use of funds as those details are available. As you can imagine, this has been a challenging time for the family. We appreciate your understanding as we give them the time and space they need to focus on Damar's health first.

We're hopeful about Damar's future involvement in disbursing the incredibly generous contributions. We thank you again for your support and look forward to updating you along the way.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

adaz posted:

Breer has some more specifics about the 5 minute thing. It sounds like everyone just started following the letter of the law for resuming play for a bit until saner heads prevailed
Exactly as a bunch of us here thought.

Enos Cabell posted:

Zac Taylor is a good dude.
Agreed.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1610700899822850050?s=46&t=Sljv9i6YNvUI0ooIydk4uA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dietrich posted:

This is pretty stupid tbh