Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I havent watched hockey since 2002 so

The nba just this year did away with “take fouls” on transition opportunities for example to make the game more fun to watch . Arguably take fouls were a huge strategic gambit now done away with by the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

That is not the only reason they are banning the shift

Nba is a bad example as it’s like the number one example of a league changing the rules to make it more fun to watch.

Whatever if you liked the shift I am sorry . You can at least be happy that I will get more utils this summer watching mlb
How am I possibly talking past you this much?

I picked that NBA example for a reason. My point is that it is good and fine to make rule changes to make the sport more fun to watch but doing so by directly dictating strategy is lazy and bad. The NBA did this once upon a time by banning double teams and zone defense. They fixed it by adding the 3-point line, which is cool and good. Now instead of saying " you cant defend in that particular way" there is simply a mechanism in the game itself by which offenses can punish a team defending in that way. This is a more elegant and ultimately aesthetically pleasing route to take.

But also, has MLB articulated anywhere any reason for banning the shift other than trying to increase balls in play and thus "game action?" Cause that's all I've seen from the league on the topic.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 4, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Well I havent watched hockey since 2002 so

The nba just this year did away with “take fouls” on transition opportunities for example to make the game more fun to watch . Arguably take fouls were a huge strategic gambit now done away with by the rules

Take fouls also resulted in a disproportionate number of injuries

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

How am I possibly talking past you this much?

I picked that NBA example for a reason. My point is that it is good and fine to make rule changes to make the sport more fun to watch but doing so by directly dictating strategy is lazy and bad. The NBA did this once upon a time by banning double teams and zone defense. They fixed it by adding the 3-point line, which is cool and good. Now instead of saying " you cant defend in that particular way" there is simply a mechanism in the game itself by which offenses can punish a team defending in that way. This isa more elegant and ultimately aesthetically pleasing route to take.

I don’t think your phrase but doing so by directly dictating strategy is lazy and bad is particularly meaningful as “strategy” is too broad of a concept .

Is your implied solution that left handers should bunt I guess ? That does not seems like “a more elegant and ultimately aesthetically pleasing” route

I don’t want to watch Bryce Harper bunt for example

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

I don’t think your phrase but doing so by directly dictating strategy is lazy and bad is particularly meaningful as “strategy” is too broad of a concept .

Is your implied solution that left handers should bunt I guess ? That does not seems like “a more elegant and ultimately aesthetically pleasing” route

I don’t want to watch Bryce Harper bunt for example
What part of the NBA example is confusing? Would it help if I said tactics instead of strategy?

Outlawing zone defense is directly dictating specific tactics.

Adding a 3-point line is building a new incentive into the game which can punish zone defense organically.

The latter is preferable to the former.

I already mentioned my proposed solution, but there are multiple. In baseball the equivalent might be shrinking the strike zone, allowing hitters to focus more on quality contact. This could change the incentives for hitters, making them more eager to put the ball in play and even enable better ones to do so with more bat control. Thus we might see increased balls in play and more even spray of those balls, naturally reducing the defensive advantage of the shift.

Alternatively, they might move the mound back 6" which could have similar effect on reducing strikeouts. There are many things they could do that aren't simply dictating where players can stand on the field.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 4, 2023

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

euphronius posted:

I haven’t paid attention to hockey in 20 years but didn’t they eventually ban the neutral zone trap ?

That was horrible

They didn’t make the trap itself illegal, they changed some rules to make it less effective. They eliminated the two line pass rule and added the goalie trapezoid behind the net to make it easier for teams to get through a neutral zone trap, but the trap itself is still legal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That makes sense. We will see what happens. The league is a bit ham fisted as we are all aware.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What's gonna happen is a subset of mostly left handed hitters like Corey Seager and Max Muncy will see their AVG rise 10-30 points and league overall BABIP will go up like 5 points, and balls in play will remain unchanged as strike outs continue to rise.

MLB will declare it a great success when old people praise them for not having to witness 3 defenders on the right side of the infield.

Baseball will still have fewer balls in play than ever, and be "boring" as a result.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Since the game isn't appealing enough for the fans (sports bettors and gambling company sponsors), I think next we need to outlaw throwing anything but fastballs so we can get more exciting balls in play

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

Bringing back what the fans really clamor for: seeing eye groundballs

I was clamoring for seeing eye ground balls

:cloud:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Under the new MLB Pure Championship rules, pitchers are allowed three offspeed pitches per game

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs trade bad RH reliever Eric Uelmen to Phillies for ca$h, freeing up a spot on the 40.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Baseball will still have fewer balls in play than ever, and be "boring" as a result.
To be clear I do think this is a real problem that the sport must address. Balls in play are more dynamic and exciting than strike outs. Great defense is very fun to watch and also the most obvious-to-newcomers display of raw athleticism in baseball.

But they aren't going to fix this by tinkering with defense, they have to attack strikeouts more directly (shrink the zone, move back the mound, etc).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs also signed Brad Wieck to a minor league deal, this post is brought to you by Humiliating Quote/Edit Mistakes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like strikeouts. Because they are fascist.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

To be clear I do think this is a real problem that the sport must address. Balls in play are more dynamic and exciting than strike outs. Great defense is very fun to watch and also the most obvious-to-newcomers display of raw athleticism in baseball.

But they aren't going to fix this by tinkering with defense, they have to attack strikeouts more directly (shrink the zone, move back the mound, etc).

baseball should simply ban relief pitching, problem solved.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’ve never been a fan of the shift, it’s always felt against the spirit of the game to me (if that even means anything). Seeing a 3B catch a pop up down the right field line is bizarre to me, but I’m not sure if banning it really matters.

What really needs to happen is for the science of hitting to catch up to the science of pitching, the gap between those two areas has gotten too big over the last decade. Or find a way to nerf pitching in general, add rules to 100 mph pitches that limit you to two per inning like my beer league softball team does with home runs.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Ok December is over I can start playing OOTP again

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BigDumper posted:

I’ve never been a fan of the shift, it’s always felt against the spirit of the game to me (if that even means anything). Seeing a 3B catch a pop up down the right field line is bizarre to me, but I’m not sure if banning it really matters.

What really needs to happen is for the science of hitting to catch up to the science of pitching, the gap between those two areas has gotten too big over the last decade. Or find a way to nerf pitching in general, add rules to 100 mph pitches that limit you to two per inning like my beer league softball team does with home runs.
by shrinking the strike zone and moving the mound back

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

bawfuls posted:

by shrinking the strike zone and moving the mound back

Good luck getting these dumbass umps to recognize a smaller strike zone

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

MLB should reduce the active roster pitcher limit to... 11 maybe? I could see 10. Keep the pitcher IL at 15 days, limit optioning to reduce the AAA-MLB revolving door (they might already be doing this, I forget). Especially with the zombie runner in the regular season, 7 pitchers should be plenty for basically any game. This would incentivize keeping starters in the game longer, which means they're less incentivized to go 100% on every pitch since they know they're only going to see 18 batters. Relievers that can pitch for 4-6 outs would be prioritized, so again, flamethrowers would want to take something off to keep up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the game is fine as it is. I think the solution to the shift problem is to "learn how to hit the other way" and the reason that they aren't is because cranking in your wheelhouse for power is going to deliver better results over time than intentionally slapping or bunting singles against the shift.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BigDumper posted:

Good luck getting these dumbass umps to recognize a smaller strike zone
that's what the robots are for

but seriously, they did this in 1969 and it worked fine back then

more falafel please posted:

MLB should reduce the active roster pitcher limit to... 11 maybe? I could see 10. Keep the pitcher IL at 15 days, limit optioning to reduce the AAA-MLB revolving door (they might already be doing this, I forget). Especially with the zombie runner in the regular season, 7 pitchers should be plenty for basically any game. This would incentivize keeping starters in the game longer, which means they're less incentivized to go 100% on every pitch since they know they're only going to see 18 batters. Relievers that can pitch for 4-6 outs would be prioritized, so again, flamethrowers would want to take something off to keep up.
I'd also prefer to avoid explicit roster usage limits like X pitchers or Y hitters for the same reasons I object to outlawing specific defensive tactics: it limits the strategic space available to teams. And of course players like Ohtani break it anyway. If some teams want to run a weird roster composition, let them try it. Ditto the three batter minimum rule. The punishment for going all TLR on an inning should be that you have a depleted bullpen the other team can take advantage of in the next inning or game.

Try changing the zone, the mound, the ball, etc etc before you resort to rules about player usage.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 4, 2023

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

bawfuls posted:

that's what the robots are for

but seriously, they did this in 1969 and it worked fine back then

They did it just as recently as the early 2000s when the broadcasts started putting in strike zone overheads. Like, say what you will about how bad umpires are, but they've shown actual ability to adapt to technology to call games better. I personally think that doing something like instituting robot umpires goes way further against the spirit of the game than the shift but I'm aware I'm losing that battle. If MLB wanted to change the strike zone, umpires would adapt fine.

This video does a good job recapping how umpires got better at calling the "true strike zone" as tech got better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nX_ZphDNQM&t=513s

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Changing the strikezone is:

-something baseball has done before, multiple times, successfully
-minimally invasive
-has been shown to directly reduce strikeout rates thus addresses the problem head-on
-does not limit strategic innovation or stifle creativity

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

zoux posted:

I think the game is fine as it is. I think the solution to the shift problem is to "learn how to hit the other way" and the reason that they aren't is because cranking in your wheelhouse for power is going to deliver better results over time than intentionally slapping or bunting singles against the shift.

YUP. It's ridiculous. Hell, there's even guys who hit opposite field with power throughout the history of the game, it isn't a novel concept!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Perhaps MLB should not have included me in their focus group

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

euphronius posted:

Perhaps MLB should not have included me in their focus group

Hits Georg was an outlier and should not have been surveyed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hits Georg is Ichiro

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

YUP. It's ridiculous. Hell, there's even guys who hit opposite field with power throughout the history of the game, it isn't a novel concept!
Ted Williams OPS'd 1.100+ for years into the shift. It doesn't actually matter very much, it shaves a few points off AVG but doesn't rob much power.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Pungry posted:

They did it just as recently as the early 2000s when the broadcasts started putting in strike zone overheads. Like, say what you will about how bad umpires are, but they've shown actual ability to adapt to technology to call games better. I personally think that doing something like instituting robot umpires goes way further against the spirit of the game than the shift but I'm aware I'm losing that battle. If MLB wanted to change the strike zone, umpires would adapt fine.

This video does a good job recapping how umpires got better at calling the "true strike zone" as tech got better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nX_ZphDNQM&t=513s

I’m not a huge fan of the robo umpire idea, I do think having a human element is a net positive. But obviously a bad call can ruin an entire game, so it is difficult to argue against installing a system that will objectively get calls correct every time. But I’d be lying if I said I won’t miss scenes like Schwarber losing his mind on Angel Hernandez after a full game’s worth of terrible calls.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As infuriating as human umpires can be, I think I’m opposed to roboumps just because baseball needs that little element of chaos and variation human umps provide.

That said, I also think the ump union should be dismantled so that particularly bad umps can finally be suspended or fired for really egregiously bad calls or ejections.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Workers deserve unions, even umpires. Just implement a mandatory retirement age of like 50 and give them all cushy pensions. Baseball can afford it. Turns out that there is a very strong correlation between poor ball/strike calls and age, almost as if human eyesight tends to deteriorate with age!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ump unions are a type of cop union.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

not true, umps are necessary

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

This date is 3 years before Joey Gallo was born

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He must be a huge fan.

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1610698269172158464

They're back baby. Eleventh year for Julia Morales!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

No you're mistaken they were supposed to write Joey Callo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I oppose robo umps because its a lie. There'd still be humans setting the parameters and reviewing calls and determining everything but now they'd be invisible and behind the scenes and we'd be fed a bullshit line of objective fairness that we could all plainly see isn't working unless it happens to benefit your team or hurt the team you hate. I don't care about "chaos" or "the human error." I just want accountability. Review performances, acknowledge blown calls, and assign games by the results not seniority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted: