Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Roy is part of the nutjob contingent I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
swamp mentioned, take a drink

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Round 4, FIGHT!

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Kammat posted:

The head of it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That's Byron "felony bribery" Donalds to you, by the way
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Donalds#Early_life_and_education

of course he's an election denier but that seems to be the requisite for consideration by the HFC

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Kammat posted:

He was Ted Cruz's Chief of Staff before being elected iirc

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The magic number of Donalds votes to lock out McCarthy is... what, just 5, right?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cloud for Donalds (#5), Christmas is canceled yet again

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The Lord of Hats posted:

The magic number of Donalds votes to lock out McCarthy is... what, just 5, right?

I think that's right, and Donalds already has 5 votes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
CNN says they didn't know how many people on the floor.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gave my coworkers an explainer and we're watching this like soccer. Lol five for Donalds, gg time for the fifth attempt.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really nice of the Freedom Caucus to have so many people early in the alphabet

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Kevin is never going to give this up and the HFC is never going to back down so again, I ask my friends on the other side: what in God's name is the endgame gonna be?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

It should be at least +1 from yesterday because Donalds will (I assume) vote for himself and Jordan didn't.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Petition to give all the representatives rubik's cubes so they have something to do today.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Kevin is never going to give this up and the HFC is never going to back down so again, I ask my friends on the other side: what in God's name is the endgame gonna be?

Honestly I think "HFC wins" is the likeliest possiblity

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Donalds with 7 and counting, on to Round Five

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Youth Decay posted:

It should be at least +1 from yesterday because Donalds will (I assume) vote for himself and Jordan didn't.

Donalds voted for Jordan on the last count, so it will still be 20.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So, KMC has said the caucuses demands are vague and inarticulable so the next choice is to peel off Dems somehow and what are you going to give them that won't blow up everything?

edit: or KMC calls megadonors to tell the HFC to knock if off, or start going real dirty and reveal secrets that have been held back about the 20 members that are blocking him.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

CNN says they didn't know how many people on the floor.

Come on Jefferies win for the lulz because people had better things to do!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

In case it wasn't obvious Donald has no sway over his own crazies anymore
https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1610691112414449678

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Xombie posted:

Donalds voted for Jordan on the last count, so it will still be 20.

Nope, it'll be 21 if Jordan votes for Donalds, because Jordan will have gone from a McCarthy vote to a Donalds vote

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

So did McCarthy actually try to do anything to help himself between yesterday and today or were the cuckoo caucus the only ones with any sort of strategy to increase their vote numbers?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol few people on the planet deserve, and are willing to receive, such humiliation. Kevin can indeed gently caress himself.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

So did McCarthy actually try to do anything to help himself between yesterday and today or were the cuckoo caucus the only ones with any sort of strategy to increase their vote numbers?

Supposedly he asked for the demands of the HFC and they couldn't come up with anything solid.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Youth Decay posted:

It's been exactly the same so far (except for Donalds instead of Jordan)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Piell posted:

Nope, it'll be 21 if Jordan votes for Donalds, because Jordan will have gone from a McCarthy vote to a Donalds vote

Why would Jordan vote for Donalds? He gave 1,000,000 speeches for McCarthy yesterday, and asked not to be nominated for speaker.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Anyone have a clue what that guy was shouting? The one with the Texas flag tie?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Feels Villeneuve posted:

really nice of the Freedom Caucus to have so many people early in the alphabet

yeah it's convenient to be able to catch up in between work

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Piell posted:

Where is there indication that Jordan would vote for Donalds, when he wouldn't even vote for himself?

edit: He voted for McCarthy again

Xombie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 4, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Has anyone raised the possibility that McCarthy has a humiliation fetish of some kind?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

coelomate posted:

Why would Jordan vote for Donalds? He gave 1,000,000 speeches for McCarthy yesterday, and asked not to be nominated for speaker.

Jordan just voted for McCarthy, so it may hold at 20 against.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

coelomate posted:

Didn't say he would (and he didn't), just that if he did then it would be 21

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
https://twitter.com/TheRickyDavila/status/1610452692706693121I have many issues with Hakeem Jefferies politically, he's one of the most conservative and corporatist Dems in Congress

That said, this is *excellent* messaging on his part, Pelosi tended to get dragged into the culture war weeds and talk about deplorables and make flourishes mocking Trump, but (in this admittedly very small sample size) he's laser targeted on the popular issues

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/sambrodey/status/1610694223367671809

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Piell posted:

If McCarthy voted for someone besides himself it would also be 21.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Piell posted:

We were talking about the count after Donalds votes for himself, as opposed to Jordan not voting for himself. I was pointing out that Donalds voted for Jordan on the last vote yesterday, Jordan voted for McCarthy every time. Meaning the vote would hold at 20.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Eventually the Dems and the, not moderate, but "extreme but not batshit insane" Republicans will probably compromise on someone. But probably not for a long time, when it actually gets to the point where votes urgently need to happen or the nation burns down. So probably months.

In the short term the House being (more of) a disfunctional mess only benefits the Dems so they can happily just watch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It is very funny to me to see members of the original Tea Party Caucus, who made their names on obstructive poo poo like this, getting their careers destroyed by the next generation doing the same thing to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm hoping that at some point, the Dems just start holding pizza parties on the floor. Just a grand public display of unity while the Republicans keep bickering and fingerpointing over who's fault it is they can't govern.

Edit: Hell, just roll a popcorn machine in so Dems can have fresh popcorn while watching this shitstorm.