Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW8wmF5VWc

Hi all, this is the TVIV spinoff thread for live-posting and more relaxed discussion of the ongoing humiliation of Kevin McCarthy.

Here should be the CSPAN livestream link for Wed, Jan 4th starting at noon Eastern: https://www.c-span.org/video/?525146-1/house-session

I'll add other links to coverage to this OP if people post them.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The House has adjourned for the day!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the betting markets think today's adjournment was a good thing for kevin. we'll see what tucker says i guess

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Good watching, everybody. We did it!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I don't see either side budging, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's no resolution tomorrow either

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

i say swears online posted:

the betting markets think today's adjournment was a good thing for kevin. we'll see what tucker says i guess

i dont know how, this seems like it gives more time to hash out a consensus opposition candidate, but i'm not the geniuses on prediction markets

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Who voted in favor of adjourning?

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

The House has adjourned for the day!

It appears you were correct. R's get a big headline loss this news cycle and whatever discussions there are become a bit harder to keep together since they're in different rooms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Kevin McCarthy is a stupid rear end in a top hat with no shame or self-reflective capabilities and I hope he continues to be a stupid rear end in a top hat for a long time to come and you guys just have no Speaker of the House for the 118th Congress.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

i say swears online posted:

It might be, but he has a lot of republicans to win back and its hard to say how much more he can concede in terms of rules before he starts losing the moderate side of his caucus. As things continue and he becomes less inevitable, there will be much less of a penalty for defection to other candidates

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DancingMachine posted:

Who voted in favor of adjourning?

It was a voice vote, meaning adjournment was popular among the whole House.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I wonder what McCarthy will do to burn this all down?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dang I bet they really wanted to be investigating Hunter by now

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I think Predictit probably just got a little overexcited, McCarthy got humiliated today but there's no clear path for anyone else to get to 218 either. There are more Republicans of all stripes, including MSG, who are expecting to receive a bunch of stupid prizes under a McCarthy Speakership.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cr0y posted:

Dang I bet they really wanted to be investigating Hunter by now

Truly the important issues of the day.

I wonder if Scalise will end up Speaker.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Does KMC even have the ability to broker a deal overnight? Does anyone really like him?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm sure humiliating himself for trump will pay off for McCarthy trump is notoriously loyal, why

https://twitter.com/garretthaake/status/1610408754721218561?s=46&t=F9xsM_PV8DO_S950EoP5Gw

oh. who could have expected this.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610409166673252357?t=_0ZHQC6Stxpsw_yaInCx_w&s=19

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Apparently Trump was asked if he still supported McCarthy after the votes today and wouldn’t say. :fork:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh my god, Speaker Jim Jordan, here we actually loving come...

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

We’re pretty far off the well charted course here. Not sure prediction markets will be interesting or really know what to make of it… we all wait just get to wait together for a bunch of gigantic egoes to sort themselves out. Live on TV. Via hours and hours of roll cal voice voting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We can only hope that McCarthy makes a loud and grotesque display of currying favor with Trump only to be stepped upon.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I mean I don't really think Jordan has the votes either?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

cr0y posted:

I mean I don't really think Jordan has the votes either?

No one has the votes. That's the idea. It's all about who caves first and says "Fine, I'll go with your guy, but I want -BLANK-."

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What exactly happens here if the impossible happens and Jeffries wins it? There's never been a minority party Speaker of the House before, has there?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

tecnocrat posted:

No one has the votes. That's the idea. It's all about who caves first and says "Fine, I'll go with your guy, but I want -BLANK-."

Honestly, at this point it's an open question what those concessions could even look like. Kevin already swore all kinds of blood oaths and mortgaged most of the power of the Speakership just to get this far.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I got off work, I went to get Chipotle and enjoy some whiskey for this debacle and they adjourn. :doom:

Come on man! I was excited to watch CSPAN.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Gatts posted:

I got off work, I went to get Chipotle and enjoy some whiskey for this debacle and they adjourn. :doom:

Come on man! I was excited to watch CSPAN.

This. Back to Netflix now :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

assuming K-Mac is brokering his own coronation, what bargaining pieces are on the table? Committee Chairs? how does that work vis-a-vis seniority? I'm sure the guy on Energy who's been there for 30 years is gonna be pretty chuffed that Boebert is the new chair of that committee in exchange for her vote, right?
What arrows are in his quiver to even dole out? Better parking spots?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Shrecknet posted:

assuming K-Mac is brokering his own coronation, what bargaining pieces are on the table? Committee Chairs? how does that work vis-a-vis seniority? I'm sure the guy on Energy who's been there for 30 years is gonna be pretty chuffed that Boebert is the new chair of that committee in exchange for her vote, right?
What arrows are in his quiver to even dole out? Better parking spots?

single person threshold for motion to vacate so the next two years can all be just like today

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Youremother posted:

What exactly happens here if the impossible happens and Jeffries wins it? There's never been a minority party Speaker of the House before, has there?

Once in the 1850s, but it was in the aftermath if the collapse of the Whig party and there were 8 separate parties. They eventually settled on a plurality for the Speaker to get congress running and appointed a Free Soil party candidate as speaker

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Minority leaders of parliament aren't all that unusual in other English-speaking democracies.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Speaker Trump when?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Any law blocking Elon Musk from the position of Speaker?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Law of Good Taste I hope. He’s too busy owning himself on Twitter.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Are there any moderate republicans left who could say "gently caress this absolute shitshow, its dumb and bad for the country" and try to get democrats + like 20 republicans? Say its an anti-Trump republican who promises to just exclude the hard right anti-Kevin folks.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

StumblyWumbly posted:

Are there any moderate republicans left who could say "gently caress this absolute shitshow, its dumb and bad for the country" and try to get democrats + like 20 republicans? Say its an anti-Trump republican who promises to just exclude the hard right anti-Kevin folks.

no

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

StumblyWumbly posted:

They were all killed and voted out in the great purge of 2018 and 2022.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Discendo Vox posted:

The Constitution of the United States posted:

Section. 2.
The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

The Constitution is shockingly brief and ambiguous on who can be speaker. I would interpret this passage to imply that it must be a member of the House, but it seems to be commonly accepted that anyone (any citizen?) can be speaker, and many non-members have received votes in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fifteen of Many posted:

Apparently Trump was asked if he still supported McCarthy after the votes today and wouldn’t say. :fork:
I seriously wouldn't read that much into it. Trump is a messy bitch who loves drama, so he'll absolutely stir the pot with "Maybe I will, maybe I won't, who knows, you just have to pay tuned..." but actually picking another candidate to support 1.) means that the attention isn't on him and his decision anymore and 2.) requires him to take responsibility for the outcome. He doesn't care enough to actually pick Scalise or Jordan as his new candidate.