Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gnoman posted:

This can be prevented by building a paved road to a map edge. The resource cost is quite minimal.

Worth noting is this works in both directions-- they'll pick a (random?) route from the edge of the map that they can use to path to your depot in the first place, so if you force there to be only one location you can get to your depot to from the edge of the map, you'll guarantee they spawn there. Even on a wide open treeless map, this can be done as simply as having constructed pillars every 2 squares from the edge of the map to where your depot or mountain entrance is, so there's no viable pathing from any location except the one between the pillars.

I ended up having to do that for the same "heavy forest" issue but in the opposite direction-- I had a year when nobody wanted to bring a caravan in and I was frantically trying to figure out what I had hosed up, before I realized it was just normal unpruned tree growth that had resulted in my depot being inacessible from any direction on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Old DF used to have a hotkey to check caravan path availability, but I don’t think that’s in the Steam version yet?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Koba posted:

Old DF used to have a hotkey to check caravan path availability, but I don’t think that’s in the Steam version yet?

Yeah. Someone said something about the steam version not letting you build a depot if it's inaccessible by wagon, but A. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect and B. even if it isn't in some contexts, that obviously doesn't help debug something like "trees grew" so hopefully they re-add that at some point.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Man I've had an absolute bitch of a bug where occasionally petitions just explode and its one guy spamming literally thousands of requests to join the fort. Its incredibly irritating having to approve or reject thousands of the same application

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah. Someone said something about the steam version not letting you build a depot if it's inaccessible by wagon, but A. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect and B. even if it isn't in some contexts, that obviously doesn't help debug something like "trees grew" so hopefully they re-add that at some point.
All of the things that were in the prior versions are still there, the UI for them just hasn't been exposed because Tarn et al decided to get the game on Steam. Similarly, there's still things missing from the premium tileset.
I fully expect everything to get added in time.

The only reason Dwarf Fortress isn't listed as Alpha on Steam is that Steam has a policy that requires there to be some kind of foreseeable timeline for when a game is coming out, and Tarn plans on making Dwarf Fortress until he dies.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think I might just turn forgotten beasts off. I'm getting tired of them either being a minor annoyance or a "oh gently caress i forgot to lock a door" fort ending situation. Mostly, gently caress web forgotten beasts so hard. There's no good way to fight them that's not cheesing them in some way.

One of these days I'm going to keep a fort long enough to successfully make a magma pump stack.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sankis posted:

I think I might just turn forgotten beasts off. I'm getting tired of them either being a minor annoyance or a "oh gently caress i forgot to lock a door" fort ending situation. Mostly, gently caress web forgotten beasts so hard. There's no good way to fight them that's not cheesing them in some way.

One of these days I'm going to keep a fort long enough to successfully make a magma pump stack.

web beasts are great because you can stick them into a box and turn them into a clothes factory, though

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is putting a table and chair in everyone's bedroom preventing me from getting "dined in a legendary dining room" thoughts? I see citizens go in there occasionally (it's a tavern too) but they never get the nice thought boost

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm new to the game and quite terrible, but I have a fortress in its third year that is more or less working autonomously, though I haven't been very industrious and I haven't done anything with water yet. I haven't been invaded so far.

Is this mod recommended? I noticed that I think some of you have it in your screenshots. Detailed Landscapes

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The business can be distracting.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

web beasts are great because you can stick them into a box and turn them into a clothes factory, though

Is it really worth it though? Afaik forgotten beast silk isn't any more valuable than the normal cave spider silk, and it's not like you're running low on that if you have a sizeable cavern.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Is it really worth it though? Afaik forgotten beast silk isn't any more valuable than the normal cave spider silk, and it's not like you're running low on that if you have a sizeable cavern.

True, but at least with a safely contained Forgotten beast in a fortified box spitting silk on command, you don't have your idiot dwarfs wandering around the caverns getting jumped by cave crocodiles and rabid crundles and poo poo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Asterite34 posted:

True, but at least with a safely contained Forgotten beast in a fortified box spitting silk on command, you don't have your idiot dwarfs wandering around the caverns getting jumped by cave crocodiles and rabid crundles and poo poo.

Also the fact that a controllable web-spitter means a method of caging things that would be otherwise trapavoid

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If set it up right you can knock out the forgotten beast, cage it, and then move it to a silk farm adjacent to your cloth workshops and looms which will drastically cut down all the travel time otherwise required.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

in my current fortress I had the goal of building my primary home down near the magma sea so I wouldn't have to relocate later, and dug a staircase down all the way to the bottom almost immediately

One kind of neat thing about breaching the third cavern within the first season is that I have three monster hunters before the end of the first year patrolling it and keeping the monsters at bay so I can chop mushrooms in peace

That's what I thought but they go down there, get clobbered by the cyclops and then all the stupid peasants run down there to recover their socks. They were mostly quick enough to get away, but a weaver got splattered. And his little dog, too.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It seems easier to me to just release a bunch of captured cave spiders in a room. Maybe less fun, but less needing to fiddle with mechanics

i gave up on that fort but im finding myself rapidly running out of fun gimmick fort ideas

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

My fortress felt like it got plenty of silk just after breaching the cavern layers and walling them off. Vermin don't need to be able to path to a place, they teleport around. Mostly they appeared around my sealed-off underground pasture/farm area, I got the occasional message about one of my pasture animals getting bitten.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
more intermediate DF questions:

1. how far down are the magma layers?

2. when might i want to start thinking about moving from near surface layers to deep underground layers, and how should i undertake that process?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jinnigan posted:

more intermediate DF questions:

1. how far down are the magma layers?

2. when might i want to start thinking about moving from near surface layers to deep underground layers, and how should i undertake that process?
1. Depends. Usually very deep indeed. I’d say by Z level -100 you’d be getting close.

2. Build new poo poo downstairs and deactivate and reassign from old poo poo upstairs. Your scale of issue will vary and you may want to leave a gate guard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly this attempt at having a fort built primarily down near cavern three was super annoying because the bottom layers are all lovely igneous rock so I had to haul all my ore down 100+ Z levels

You'd have to do that eventually, assuming you don't pump magma, but at least if you do it at a reasonable time you'll have an army of children and wheelbarrows to haul the ore for you

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nosre posted:

Best use of this to inspire some nice thoughts? I haven't been having any luck with just setting things up in paths, tried it with some artifact ropes/chains (tethering a beast right in traffic) and that never worked.

put it on a lever that doesn't do anything in the middle of a meeting room and then queue up a bunch of jobs on it every once in a while

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

1. when you start building your fort do you have a planned layout already? just making it up as you go?

2. what are your priorities for getting "set up"? farms, workshops, dorm? some other order? just curious how you think through "progressing" your fort

It's usually get some kind of stockpile inside before all my poo poo gets stolen, get basic crafters up (stone/carpenter/mechanic), get farm plots going, then drill out some bedrooms and a dining hall. A lot of these can be done in tandem; if I'm just dumping farm plots on the dirt layer one or two z-levels down, I can get that going at the same time as I'm working on something else.

How much I plan out in advance really kind of depends on what I'm doing. My first fortress on the Steam version, I just totally winged it aside from knowing that I wanted the above in that kind of rough priority. My current fortress, I drilled all the way down to the magma before starting anything and then I blueprinted all my basic levels before I actually started digging them out because the structure was going to be from the bottom up.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Nessus posted:

1. Depends. Usually very deep indeed. I’d say by Z level -100 you’d be getting close.

This depends strongly on whether your world gen is "island" or "region". Islands do have it usually around -100 but a region will have it at more like -10 (I've seen it as high as +2!).

Personally I'm only going to be making region worlds because the 100+ z-levels is just too many.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Broken Cog posted:

You really don't have to put much effort into pleasing the elves. A dozen platinum/gold crafts is usually enough to buy them completely out, since all their stuff is so cheap.
Even stuff like giant grizzly bears cost less than a thousand.

I have an absolute shitload of gold, so the only things I trade anymore are gem encrusted gold figurines of the King. My trade depot is just a really expensive souvenir shop.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TastyAvocado posted:

This depends strongly on whether your world gen is "island" or "region". Islands do have it usually around -100 but a region will have it at more like -10 (I've seen it as high as +2!).

Personally I'm only going to be making region worlds because the 100+ z-levels is just too many.

:agreed:

The region based worldgen creates worlds that only go down 50 or so z-levels generally which is way way way more managable

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

But I want to dig DEEP. Sounds like I should use islands! I’ve rarely gotten far in the negatives before wandering off, as befits a callous and whimsical god.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah my current fort the surface level is at Z +49 and the lowest I can scroll is Z +5 so I figure the magma sea is down there somewhere. Seems managable.

Speaking of elves, they just brought me a grizzly bear. If they bring me a lady grizzly bear next year, I swear I'll never cut down another tree again!*

*over the limit**
** unless it's needed to protect the grizzly bears

e: they also brought me a giant skunk, that's going in the king's room

sullat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 4, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've yet to see a magma sea above Z -100 but who knows with this game

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do I channel through an aquifer? I wanna dig out a wagon path straight down a light aquifer for wagons and cant figure it out. Will I have to dig a like, 3x6 area around my intended path and then wall that off and channel down?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Light aquifers are pretty easy.

Get down to just above the aquifer, channel out a 5x5 around your exploratory stairway (be sure to redesignate the cancelled stairway and avoid channeling it). On the level that is aquifer, quickly build a wall to leave a 3x3 space. If you have a multi-level aquifer, channel out the 3x3 (be sure to redesignate the cancelled stairway and avoid channeling it), then quickly dig out to 5x5 and then wall off the perimeter. Repeat until you're sure you're through the aquifer.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Buschmaki posted:

How do I channel through an aquifer? I wanna dig out a wagon path straight down a light aquifer for wagons and cant figure it out. Will I have to dig a like, 3x6 area around my intended path and then wall that off and channel down?

more advanced players will for sure answer better but i want to see if i have the right handle on it. i think you have the right idea. water seeps out of light aquifers blocks so you have to dig them out and hten replace them with walls. if you're doing multiple z-levels you'll also want to dig out and wall up each layer of aquifer, since every aquifer block can seep, and you'll even need to channel out the floor, since even an aquifer floor with a constructed wall on top will still seep water down onto the layer below? someone correct me if i'm wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l4AAgr2z2g

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't change anything about world gen and my two fortresses have had magma seas at about -150 and -120. Does it default to island generation? Or is it random if you don't do anything about it? Either way both of mine have been super deep.

Buschmaki posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l4AAgr2z2g

(edit) beaten by the exact same video link!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Essentially yes, you should figure out how many Z-levels of aquifer you are dealing with. I'd then plan to dig out a large space on each aquifer level, and wall those off before proceeding. Have stone blocks ready to roll to make things easier, since they are much faster to haul for wall building. Once your square are is dug, and walls attached you are safe on that level to proceed down and start over

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, you'll need walls on each aquifer layer, and probably constructed ramps instead of mined but that's conjecture as I've not done it yet

Even heavy aquifers have been a minimal hassle so far since they seem to have such limited coverage and I can just go around them

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I was thinking about setting up a patrol route for my military that goes through a ton of 4/7 water so they level up agility and stuff. Has anyone else done something similar? Is it even worth it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mst4k posted:

I was thinking about setting up a patrol route for my military that goes through a ton of 4/7 water so they level up agility and stuff. Has anyone else done something similar? Is it even worth it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r08HEypuZ-o

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly this attempt at having a fort built primarily down near cavern three was super annoying because the bottom layers are all lovely igneous rock so I had to haul all my ore down 100+ Z levels

You'd have to do that eventually, assuming you don't pump magma, but at least if you do it at a reasonable time you'll have an army of children and wheelbarrows to haul the ore for you

You can move the ore down much faster by dumping it down a deep shaft. The only part that's hard about this is making sure no-one comes to pick some up when it's being dropped.

Alternatively, if you want magma workshops near the surface, the amounts of magma needed for workshop are best moved in minecarts.

Make sure non of your stockpiles can accept iron minecarts. Make a tile you can pump magma onto, and pump magma out of. Make a stockpile next to it, add some wheelbarrows to that stockpile, and then allow iron minecarts in it. Your dwarves will use the wheelbarrows to haul empty minecarts there. designate the tile that can be filled with magma as a dump, and dump the iron minecarts. After they are all there, pump magma in, and disallow iron minecarts from the low stockpile.

Make an another stockpile that can accept iron minecarts near your destination, and add magma-safe wheelbarrows to it. Once they have been hauled, pump magma out of the magma pit, and reclaim the dumped minecarts. They are now full of magma, and really hot. Your dwarves will use the magma-safe wheelbarrows to haul them to the stockpile. The reason for this dance of stockpiles is that you probably don't want the dwarves hauling the full minecarts without track or wheelbarrows, because they are really loving heavy and it will take absolutely forever. If a dwarf is hauling the minecart without track or wheelbarrow, they will carry it, instead of pushing it. If a minecart full of magma is hauled in a wooden wheelbarrow, it can catch on fire. Nethercap wheelbarrows might be safe, dunno.

Dig 1-square pits for your workshops, under the tile that the workshop blocks (so top center for smelters and kilns, middle side for forges). make a track stop next to the pit, that dumps into the pit. Make a hauling route, add that track stop as a stop, and add a minecart to the route. When a dwarf hauls it there, it will dump it's contents into the pit. You need 4 units of magma, or two minecarts for each pit.

cheetah7071 posted:

I believe some of the world generation presets have it a lot higher.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 4, 2023

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah I don’t think building destroyers are working right now but I’m trying to build like they will work sometime in the future.

Oh, is that what's going on?

See, I had a weremonitor attack. A singular one, and outside the fortress, but it bit three dwarves before being hacked to death by a woodcutter. The hauler who dodged into my dry moat and broke both arms and a leg to get away probably made the smartest choice.

Fast forward to all four patients lying in the hospital. I've set up a bridge outside and a lever to raise it. Apparently it takes ages to link a lever though, so the next full moon comes and all that stands between the hospital and the rest of the fortress is a locked door. Obviously the three bitten dwarves turn into monitors and chomp the fourth's head off. Then they start fighting amongst themselves, and the last survivor just stands there, apparently respecting the locked door.

That was handy. Pity I had to banish the last surviving weremonitor.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Darth Various posted:

Oh, is that what's going on?

See, I had a weremonitor attack. A singular one, and outside the fortress, but it bit three dwarves before being hacked to death by a woodcutter. The hauler who dodged into my dry moat and broke both arms and a leg to get away probably made the smartest choice.

Fast forward to all four patients lying in the hospital. I've set up a bridge outside and a lever to raise it. Apparently it takes ages to link a lever though, so the next full moon comes and all that stands between the hospital and the rest of the fortress is a locked door. Obviously the three bitten dwarves turn into monitors and chomp the fourth's head off. Then they start fighting amongst themselves, and the last survivor just stands there, apparently respecting the locked door.

That was handy. Pity I had to banish the last surviving weremonitor.

I haven't seen it confirmed as a bug yet, but I did have a desert titan just stand there in front of a locked door and do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What are the recommended world gen settings for more open caverns? I know they got posted at some point.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Alternatively, if you want magma workshops near the surface, the amounts of magma needed for workshop are best moved in minecarts.

Make sure non of your stockpiles can accept iron minecarts. Make a tile you can pump magma onto, and pump magma out of. Make a stockpile next to it, add some wheelbarrows to that stockpile, and then allow iron minecarts in it. Your dwarves will use the wheelbarrows to haul empty minecarts there. designate the tile that can be filled with magma as a dump, and dump the iron minecarts. After they are all there, pump magma in, and disallow iron minecarts from the low stockpile.

Make an another stockpile that can accept iron minecarts near your destination, and add magma-safe wheelbarrows to it. Once they have been hauled, pump magma out of the magma pit, and reclaim the dumped minecarts. They are now full of magma, and really hot. Your dwarves will use the magma-safe wheelbarrows to haul them to the stockpile. The reason for this dance of stockpiles is that you probably don't want the dwarves hauling the full minecarts without track or wheelbarrows, because they are really loving heavy and it will take absolutely forever. If a dwarf is hauling the minecart without track or wheelbarrow, they will carry it, instead of pushing it. If a minecart full of magma is hauled in a wooden wheelbarrow, it can catch on fire. Nethercap wheelbarrows might be safe, dunno.

Dig 1-square pits for your workshops, under the tile that the workshop blocks (so top center for smelters and kilns, middle side for forges). make a track stop next to the pit, that dumps into the pit. Make a hauling route, add that track stop as a stop, and add a minecart to the route. When a dwarf hauls it there, it will dump it's contents into the pit. You need 4 units of magma, or two minecarts for each pit.

This sounds a lot easier than setting up a magma pump stack, will have to try for my next fortress.