Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

SplitSoul posted:

Media is pushing "Putin is out of ammunition and will use a nuke in 2023 maybe" again, what's going on in Ukraine?

Things are pretty frozen right now across the map except for around the front in Bakhmut which has developed a sort of Verdun quality where Ukraine is feeding tens of thousands of men into the city on rotation to hold it at all costs while the Russians pour on the artillery fire from all sides.

It's hard to really comment on how the battle for the city is going because we only get reporting on Russian intentions through a dark mirror of western media commentary, but it seems like Russia has went through a shift recently in their outlook and approach to the battle. Much like Verdun originally it seems like the Russians were delighted to simply pin down the Ukrainian army units in the City with massed artillery fire from an advantageous position and let the Ukrainians cycle more and more troops in to desperately try and hold the position. You had western commentators bemoaning the idiocy of the Ukrainian political leadership handing the Russian army exactly the scenario the Russians were trying to create from the start of the war on a silver platter for nothing more than the sake of face saving. At some point however (much like Verdun) the Russians seem to have decided that their actual goal should be to capture the city by any means possible, and now you have reports of high intensity infantry fighting going on and the Russians pushing deeper and deeper into the suburbs of Bakhmut. I do get a sense that there might be some urgency on the Russian side to get a win after a couple months of bad PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cromulent_Chill posted:

Average Joe American and Average Ivan Russian have the same power with regards to getting their wants and needs realized by policy action by their respective leaders.

they both believe to have very different relations to power, though. this has consequences

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
im p sure putin followed the legal rules to get elected

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean it's true that Russia is more democratic in that sense than the US, but I don't feel like the average Russian citizen really cares that much about the war in Ukraine? They're still citizens of a neoliberal dipshit country, they're not going to be outraged morally or embarassed about what the government does with the army, they just don't want a return to the bad times of the 90's is the impression that I've been under.

The sanctions probably were scary for a little while but it kinda seems like they've got their economics pretty handily under control at this point. Even if Ukraine ends up as a smoulering Libya/Iraq/Yemen/whatever pile on their border that's not ideal but also why should the average person care any more about it than the average American cares about any of those countries (ie not at all).

It's possible that I'm not well-informed on the strength of the nationalist faction of Russian politics but I've never really gotten the impression that their influence is necessarily paramount.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

I mean, is it though? It's obviously a very popular idea here in America, that other nations want all the freedoms we have. But is this something that most people in Europe or Asia believe, that our system of government is superior to theirs? I imagine it's a popular idea within US client states, but we're talking about Russia here. Do most Chinese people believe our democracy is effective and legitimate?

Anecdotally but libs in Europe feel that America's democracy was solely weakened by Trump and it's still dang better than other places because freedom of press and etc.. maybe not better than northern europe where they see it as having the better regulation model and free healthcare, but the cultural imprint of America as being synonymous with democracy is still strong.
In Russia in china I got no idea but from talks with friends from Russia, they didn't care much about Putin because things we're in the up and up.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Electoralism in actuality is a complaint box that doesn't get read. Our leaders have decided that ignoring dissent and creating criminals out of dissenters is easier. The legslity of locking up dissenters is part of the problem with society in general, to speak nothing of the exported misery our capitalists legally engage in elsewhere.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia owes America money for all we've sent to Ukraine.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lollontee posted:

anyway, do the needful majorian

Not sure I want a precedent set that you have to be able to read to post in CSPAM.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

genericnick posted:

Not sure I want a precedent set that you have to be able to read to post in CSPAM.

If you can't read you gotta cop to it, it's only fair.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

lollontee posted:

it is easier to continue believing in the legal authority of a state, whose leader dissappoints and does immoral things, if you think think that leader followed all the legal rules to get elected. i'm trying to make the chomsky argument that electoralism is a way of managing dissent, or rather mass guilt, for the horrible actions of the state, by making every culpable for the actions of the state. after all, you voted for them, didn't you?

A) The chomsky argument doesn't require that the rules are good or particularly closely followed. Americans still treated W as legitimate even though he explicitly did NOT follow the rules to get elected except in the sense that he was declared to have by his political allies. Putin has the same level of legitimacy as that so what's the issue?
B) Implicit in the chomsky argument is that any non-democratic leader who is not currently fighting a civil war has some basic level of support on par with or even above your average democratic leader.

It feels like this is a circular argument: putin will have problems of legitimacy because ukraine is embarrassing him, and ukraine will embarrass him because he has problems of legitimacy. You have to have a reason why russians will care about the ukraine war above and beyond the fact that putin is illegitimate, since you are arguing that the war is the inciting incident of his illegitimacy. I am arguing that nobody in Russia gives a gently caress about that because they are, at a basic level, similar to us in their social attitudes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Majorian posted:

As the grandson of a Holocaust survivor, I don't make excuses for fascism, and I'm kind of pretty loving offended by you suggesting that I do.

what about this time

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
owned

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what about this time

I wrote that post around 10 years ago. It was a terrible post, and I'm ashamed of it. I'm a different person now.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
we was all dumb libs at one time or another, it's the cultural default

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Majorian posted:

I wrote that post around 10 years ago. It was a terrible post, and I'm ashamed of it. I'm a different person now.

nice

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PiratePrentice posted:

we was all dumb libs at one time or another, it's the cultural default

i was never a lib

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i was never a lib

i was, sometimes i look back at my post history and cringe ppretty hard

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

I believed in Our Leaders ushering us into the end of history like a loving child.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

Things are pretty frozen right now across the map except for around the front in Bakhmut which has developed a sort of Verdun quality where Ukraine is feeding tens of thousands of men into the city on rotation to hold it at all costs while the Russians pour on the artillery fire from all sides.

It's hard to really comment on how the battle for the city is going because we only get reporting on Russian intentions through a dark mirror of western media commentary, but it seems like Russia has went through a shift recently in their outlook and approach to the battle. Much like Verdun originally it seems like the Russians were delighted to simply pin down the Ukrainian army units in the City with massed artillery fire from an advantageous position and let the Ukrainians cycle more and more troops in to desperately try and hold the position. You had western commentators bemoaning the idiocy of the Ukrainian political leadership handing the Russian army exactly the scenario the Russians were trying to create from the start of the war on a silver platter for nothing more than the sake of face saving. At some point however (much like Verdun) the Russians seem to have decided that their actual goal should be to capture the city by any means possible, and now you have reports of high intensity infantry fighting going on and the Russians pushing deeper and deeper into the suburbs of Bakhmut. I do get a sense that there might be some urgency on the Russian side to get a win after a couple months of bad PR.

It is probably more like last time when the Russians kept on blasting until there was nothing left to blast but then could only go so far because they didn’t want to get involved in a direct assault.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

My dude, if you want to get banned you can just post a thread with the appropriate tag. I'd rather you didn't, since you usually contribute great things to this thread, but right now you're doing the opposite and you seem to be trying to force my hand.

noone is forcing your hand to ban someone for a weird slapfight, that's all you

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

I'm not going to ban him. I'm going to leave it at the 6er for now. What he said genuinely hurt me, though, and I think I deserve a better apology than a "sorry you got offended" non-apology.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

30.5 Days posted:

A) The chomsky argument doesn't require that the rules are good or particularly closely followed. Americans still treated W as legitimate even though he explicitly did NOT follow the rules to get elected except in the sense that he was declared to have by his political allies. Putin has the same level of legitimacy as that so what's the issue?
because not enough people really gave a poo poo if dubya "cheated a little". all that matters is that most americans think that the rules were followed closely enough, for most of the time before and since. the legalistic truth of the matter is irrelevant.

30.5 Days posted:

B) Implicit in the chomsky argument is that any non-democratic leader who is not currently fighting a civil war has some basic level of support on par with or even above your average democratic leader.
i read compsky like 15 years ago, i can't remember how his logic worked, but i think the nature of the support is also different, in consequence to the differences between the legitimization of a non-democratic ruler, and a democratic one. the people of democratic nations feel more culpable for the actions of their state, hence making them more able to ignore laying responsibility and guilt upon the state, through conscious dissonance and other psychological tricks, because that would necessitate a judgement of themselves, and their guilt. with a non-democratic ruler, you don't need to overcome any level of personal guilt for having supported the regime, they are after all tyrants, and your opinion on the matter was never asked.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

lollontee posted:

because not enough people really gave a poo poo if dubya "cheated a little". all that matters is that most americans think that the rules were followed closely enough, for most of the time before and since. the legalistic truth of the matter is irrelevant.

Yes.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

speng31b posted:

i am forcing his hand, because wtf op just called someone a fascist without any reason

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

faith in the legalistic truth, is another matter

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I think the ban+0 is an underutilized tool in the mod toolbox. That was bitchmade behaviour and if you have a big enough problem with someone to call them a fascist you should be willing to back it up or admit that you got big mad on the internet and didn't read very good.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lollontee posted:

i am forcing his hand, because wtf op just called someone a fascist without any reason

fascist

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PiratePrentice posted:

I think the ban+0 is an underutilized tool in the mod toolbox. That was bitchmade behaviour and if you have a big enough problem with someone to call them a fascist you should be willing to back it up or admit that you got big mad on the internet and didn't read very good.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
who never got called a fascist in a heated debated throw the first stone

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PiratePrentice posted:

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

only a liberal would claim to never have been liberal

unless you was born in vietnam or something then maybe you never were a liberal

Honest Thief posted:

who never got called a fascist in a heated debated throw the first stone

i've only been called fascist by weird angry dnd libs who followed me to pyf or in very unheated debate

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

I'm not going to ban him. I'm going to leave it at the 6er for now. What he said genuinely hurt me, though, and I think I deserve a better apology than a "sorry you got offended" non-apology.

i hope that noone intended to truly cause you hurt irl, if they did that sucks. forums usage should ideally make everyone's day a little nicer and not a little worse.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in 2023 im going to be nice on the forums

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

PiratePrentice posted:

only a liberal would claim to never have been liberal

unless you was born in vietnam or something then maybe you never were a liberal

i've only been called fascist by weird angry dnd libs who followed me to pyf or in very unheated debate

one time an indian friend called me one over brexit because he figured breaking away from europe would empower the working class

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

in 2023 im going to be nice on the forums

:) :) :)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

no not like that !

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

speng31b posted: