Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bremen posted:

Eventually the Dems and the, not moderate, but "extreme but not batshit insane" Republicans will probably compromise on someone. But probably not for a long time, when it actually gets to the point where votes urgently need to happen or the nation burns down. So probably months.

In the short term the House being (more of) a disfunctional mess only benefits the Dems so they can happily just watch.

yeah McCarthy's real "strategy" is to put the choice between the HFC getting McCarthy and some concessions, or losing everything with a moderate compromise candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Randalor posted:

I'm hoping that at some point, the Dems just start holding pizza parties on the floor. Just a grand public display of unity while the Republicans keep bickering and fingerpointing over who's fault it is they can't govern.

Edit: Hell, just roll a popcorn machine in so Dems can have fresh popcorn while watching this shitstorm.

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1610316616679530497

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Judgy Fucker posted:

Anyone have a clue what that guy was shouting? The one with the Texas flag tie?

Was it this?

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1610695300225839105?s=20

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

No, it wasn't that. But I did hear that one, too!

I'm assuming it was a Texas rep, maybe it was North Carolina? based on the tie. A Black man, shouting fairly angrily, then a "Jefferies" vote was tallied. :shrug:

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 4, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, but that would be day-old popcorn now. Plus it's more comical to picture the dems filing in, going to the popcorn machine and then settling in for the vote than just going straight to their spots.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oooooh, one Republican (not one of the 20 anti-McCarthy ones) has voted "present"!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Kevin is never going to give this up and the HFC is never going to back down so again, I ask my friends on the other side: what in God's name is the endgame gonna be?

At some point, the moderates will get sick of this and dump McCarthy in favor of someone else, and the Freedom Caucus will probably put a mark in their win column and fall in line.

Youth Decay posted:

So did McCarthy actually try to do anything to help himself between yesterday and today or were the cuckoo caucus the only ones with any sort of strategy to increase their vote numbers?

There's not really much more he can do. He's basically been begging the Freedom Caucus to give him more demands he can fulfill. They don't really have any, because their true demand is "No Kevin McCarthy".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Oooooh, one Republican (not one of the 20 anti-McCarthy ones) has voted "present"!

Beechbone
Jan 27, 2005
Where da bonez at???

Judgy Fucker posted:

No, it wasn't that. But I did hear that one, too!

I'm assuming it was a Texas rep, maybe it was North Carolina? based on the tie. A Black man, shouting fairly angrily, then a "Jefferies" vote was tallied. :shrug:

It was Rep. Al Green. I couldn't totally tell what he was saying but something about 71 (21?) unmarked graves and an atrocity?

Edit:

Found a source
https://twitter.com/albyselkie/status/1610696802709159936?s=20&t=EJDWTdmWma2vRxFv12-DNA

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1610701214382964737

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Main Paineframe posted:

At some point, the moderates will get sick of this and dump McCarthy in favor of someone else, and the Freedom Caucus will probably put a mark in their win column and fall in line.

There's not really much more he can do. He's basically been begging the Freedom Caucus to give him more demands he can fulfill. They don't really have any, because their true demand is "No Kevin McCarthy".

a few sites mentioned it was more that they had too many demands, some of which were non-starters (like voting to establish term limits for congressmen, and a floor vote for a flat tax) and wouldn't clarify which ones were the core ones they absolutely wanted agreed to

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m loving this, it’s amazing. Political party that has set government on fire shocked to learn they are now on fire

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

repeating rollcall votes for tiny changes in the count feels like celebrating a new and different error messaging while debugging computer bullshit

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the true, real, final master plan is to extend the Speaker fight past the debt ceiling deadline and let everything implode.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

313 is the record

We can break the record

We must

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Beechbone posted:

It was Rep. Al Green. I couldn't totally tell what he was saying but something about 71 (21?) unmarked graves and an atrocity?

Edit:

Found a source
https://twitter.com/albyselkie/status/1610696802709159936?s=20&t=EJDWTdmWma2vRxFv12-DNA

Thanks for solving the case! :tipshat:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
A few folks have been saying that since the Senate doesn't need a Speaker until the 23rd, neither does the House.

I'm pretty sure the Speaker needs to at least sign off on a bunch of administrative stuff like who gets what office and committee assignments. There are rules and procedures for this, but there are also judgement calls and deals. This is all much harder in the house, with more members and more freshmen.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1610704179793731584

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Obviously this is all uncharted territory, but to politics-as-a-spectator-sports this, this feels like a real nail in the coffin for McCarthy. He really had to not lose any support today to try and get another round of negotiating in overnight, but even the small losses sting, it's going to snowball, and he'll be negotiating from an even weaker position than before.

One way or another, this is going to be the weakest Speaker of the House in a loooooong time.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bread Set Jettison posted:

313 is the record

We can break the record

We must

133, from Nathaniel "good hair" Banks in 1855

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

A few folks have been saying that since the Senate doesn't need a Speaker until the 23rd, neither does the House.

I'm pretty sure the Speaker needs to at least sign off on a bunch of administrative stuff like who gets what office and committee assignments. There are rules and procedures for this, but there are also judgement calls and deals. This is all much harder in the house, with more members and more freshmen.

Yes, normally all this work would be done over the lame duck period by the incoming speaker, but none of it has actually happened.

toget
Jul 12, 2008
There's one vote missing as well as the present-vote, right? The CSPAN-tally adds up to 434.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://thehill.com/homenews/3798485-centrist-republican-says-preliminary-talks-with-democrats-underway-on-speaker-deal/

quote:

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has begun talks with Democrats about a deal to support a “consensus candidate” for Speaker or hold out from voting to ensure he needs to reach a lower threshold to lead the chamber, according to Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.).

Bacon told CNN on Wednesday morning that McCarthy was in “preliminary talks” with lawmakers to reach a deal, but said he wanted to hold back on the details of the conversations to not get ahead of the negotiations.

Lol...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

toget posted:

There's one vote missing as well as the present-vote, right? The CSPAN-tally adds up to 434.

There's one vacancy in VA due to a death.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Randalor posted:

Yeah, but that would be day-old popcorn now. Plus it's more comical to picture the dems filing in, going to the popcorn machine and then settling in for the vote than just going straight to their spots.

To be fair, there are no House rules at the moment preventing a popcorn machine on the floor

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

StumblyWumbly posted:

None of the House staff get paid until there's a Speaker, which is also something to consider.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Please help me win! Sure, you can't trust anything I say, and I've been openly talking about obstructing the president and your party, and harassing the son of the president, but I need your help! Please stop voting for your own interests!"

:pathetic:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone raised the possibility that McCarthy has a humiliation fetish of some kind?

If he does, he should find a nice dom and work it out in private like a proper pervert.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Torrannor posted:

None of the House staff get paid until there's a Speaker, which is also something to consider.

I'm assuming they'll get backpay, similar to federal employees if no budget is passed? Of course, I know those folks don't make much and may be living paycheck to paycheck in one of the most expensive cities in the country - but at least they won't be working for free. I hope.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

StumblyWumbly posted:

As I mentioned in the USCE thread the DC Delegate has her floor privileges (she still can't vote but should be able to be on committees, bring bills, argue on the floor etc) revoked whenever Republicans come into power because they are assholes and then is reinstated when the Dems return, so she's kinda stuck in limbo right now.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

toget posted:

VA-4: Donald McEachin died but there's no speaker to accept the certificate of election for his successor

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.
It is going to be *glorious* to see somehow the GOP/Freedom Caucus to gently caress up the Present vote so badly it becomes easier and more palatable for six GOP Reps to vote for Hakeem just to get on with business.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Torrannor posted:

So it's 21 now? Doesn't that mean Gaetz is going to lose interest?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Seth Pecksniff posted:

VA-4: Donald McEachin died but there's no speaker to accept the certificate of election for his successor

Well we haven't actually had the election yet either. It'll be Jennifer McLellan though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ellipson posted:

So it's 21 now? Doesn't that mean Gaetz is going to lose interest?

nooo

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hypothetically, if there were a foreign influence seeking to usurp the GOP and use that power to weaken the US federal govt (rather than actually enact conservative policies)...

Isnt the present situation a win?

Hypothetically.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some Democrats are having a lot of fun. At least I assume it's Democrats, I can't imagine Republicans have reasons to laugh this loudly on the House floor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah McCarthy's real "strategy" is to put the choice between the HFC getting McCarthy and some concessions, or losing everything with a moderate compromise candidate

The problem is Mccarthy needs a credible compromise candidate to credibly threaten that. And a credible compromise candidate 1)doesn't exist 2) would defeat him if they did

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Now doing vote 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem is Mccarthy needs a credible compromise candidate to credibly threaten that. And a credible compromise candidate 1)doesn't exist 2) would defeat him if they did

Yeah, he'll get kicked overboard well before a bi-partisan candidate gets any momentum