Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Bumhead posted:

Trying to put together a complete list of old school PC FPS royalty, at least from what's available on Steam. Talking the 90's/early 2000's classics, not the new spiritual successors. So far I own;

- Aliens vs Predator
- Blood: Fresh Supply
- Counter-Strike (OG, Source, GO)
- Deus Ex
- Doom (all of them)
- Half Life (all of it)
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Portal 1 & 2
- Quake 1 & 2
- System Shock 2
- Unreal Tournament

Anything screaming out as missing from that list that's a "why the hell haven't you played _____ yet?!" deal? Despite my interest in this genre I've never played Duke Nukem or Serious Sam, which feels like they might be the two biggest blind spots. Anything else I categorically should add to this list before the current sale ends?

Any tinkering required or does it work out of the box?

Quake 3, WW2 shooters (moh, cod), duke3d, hexen & heretic, dark forces, jedi knight & sequels, NOLF, halo, bf1942, far cry 1 come to mind

Maybe descent as well?

Although your list is a bit confusing, a lot of the mentioned valve products are definitely not from the early '00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Trying to put together a complete list of old school PC FPS royalty, at least from what's available on Steam. Talking the 90's/early 2000's classics, not the new spiritual successors. So far I own;

- Aliens vs Predator
- Deus Ex
- Doom (all of them)
- Half Life (all of it)
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Portal 1 & 2
- Quake 1 & 2
- System Shock 2
- Unreal Tournament

Anything screaming out as missing from that list that's a "why the hell haven't you played _____ yet?!" deal? Despite my interest in this genre I've never played Duke Nukem or Serious Sam, which feels like they might be the two biggest blind spots. Anything else I categorically should add to this list before the current sale ends?

Kinsie maintains a decent curator list here: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/29294916-Sector-Effectors/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bumhead posted:

- Aliens vs Predator
- Deus Ex
- Doom (all of them)
- Half Life (all of it)
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Portal 1 & 2
- Quake 1 & 2
- System Shock 2
- Unreal Tournament

It's a very different kind of FPS, but you should have System Shock 2 and maybe 1 on there, especially if Deus Ex made the cut.

Edit: I cannot read. You do already.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SCheeseman posted:

In addition to Unreal Tournament, the OG Unreal is also excellent.

Good luck finding either at this point

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Legally? Yeah, good luck. Other ways? They were on GOG, so the installer EXEs are almost certainly floating around. Can't help you there, though.

In other stuff-I-probably-shouldn't-link-to news, the retro FPS leaks continue. This time, it's the fabled Blood source code! Albeit, a backup of it from like seven months before release, so not really all that applicable to the pre-existing reverse-engineering projects (even ignoring any potential legal issues). Still, it's nice that it's out there.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Samopsa posted:

Quake 3, WW2 shooters (moh, cod), duke3d, hexen & heretic, dark forces, jedi knight & sequels, NOLF, halo, bf1942, far cry 1 come to mind

Maybe descent as well?

Although your list is a bit confusing, a lot of the mentioned valve products are definitely not from the early '00s.

You're right, I've been quite liberal with the time frame there, although I guess those Valve games are so heavily intertwined with the spirit and aesthetic of that era that I guess my brain just naturally lumps them together.

Duke 3D, Hexen and Dark Forces are notable omissions for sure, think I'll grab all 3 of them.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a very different kind of FPS, but you should have System Shock 2 and maybe 1 on there, especially if Deus Ex made the cut.

Edit: I cannot read. You do already.

System Shock 2 is a stonewall classic, although I've never played the first game. Toyed with picking it up but, eh, the remake is due soon. I actually have a thing for the visuals of that era so might yet pick up SS1 regardless of the remake.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Kins posted:

Legally? Yeah, good luck. Other ways? They were on GOG, so the installer EXEs are almost certainly floating around. Can't help you there, though.

Well, you may find the GOG installers somewhere around here. Who knows

:wink:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would be shocked if they aren't on archive already

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
https://twitter.com/IRLskellydude/status/1610640940321980419

something something Leaking Blood something

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

...it does though? I think it's through SDL on Linux.

You bind buttons and triggers the same way you bind keys and mouse buttons...

...and bind sticks and other analogue things in the Configure Controller menu.

Try it with the Steam Deck game pad that just emulates an xinput device. The flatpack version doesn’t detect the controls. You have to map it to keyboard buttons to get it to work.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/zqw3f2/gzdoom_controller_settings

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 4, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
This is awesome and goes to show just how much they had to modify the Build source code to make it workable. Unlike Duke3D which is like two massive, unmanageable files for the entire game, Blood is mostly written in (a mostly very C-like style of) C++ and the Build stuff has been untangled quite a lot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh man that’s huge

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
KEN
SILVERMAN
MAGIC

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Volte posted:

This is awesome and goes to show just how much they had to modify the Build source code to make it workable. Unlike Duke3D which is like two massive, unmanageable files for the entire game, Blood is mostly written in (a mostly very C-like style of) C++ and the Build stuff has been untangled quite a lot.

Can you tell me more about these two files? I remember the GRP file, but that's all. I mean, in terms of big ones. I edited the hell out of those CON files, but they seemed pretty small, like txt/cfg files, which I guess they were.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can you tell me more about these two files? I remember the GRP file, but that's all. I mean, in terms of big ones. I edited the hell out of those CON files, but they seemed pretty small, like txt/cfg files, which I guess they were.

I meant the source code which was like BUILD.C and GAME.C or something, both thousands of lines of insanely hard to read code.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
NOLF on archive too? Seems to be in a legal limbo otherwise

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Milo and POTUS posted:

NOLF on archive too? Seems to be in a legal limbo otherwise

Awhile back somebody responded to the whole "it's unclear who owns NOLF" issue by releasing updated versions of NOLF and NOLF 2 for free download, apparently on the premise that we can find out who owns them by seeing who files a takedown request. As far as I'm aware, nobody has yet filed that request.

(Which situation, given that DMCA requests in which you claim to own the IP in question when you actually don't are punishable as perjury, will probably persist for the foreseeable future.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tiny Timbs posted:

Try it with the Steam Deck game pad that just emulates an xinput device. The flatpack version doesn’t detect the controls. You have to map it to keyboard buttons to get it to work.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/zqw3f2/gzdoom_controller_settings

gz's controller support has always been wonky. if i ever try to use something that isn't an xbox or emulated xbox controller this happens

https://i.imgur.com/c8CzFr4.mp4

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Probably means you need to adjust the dead zone sliders?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

probably means there's other stuff mapped to a stick somewhere. happens

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Knee deep in the dead zone

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

Try it with the Steam Deck game pad that just emulates an xinput device.
Are folks turning Steam Input off on the deck? I know you can, but that seems pretty unusual and generally pointless.

Pope Guilty posted:

Awhile back somebody responded to the whole "it's unclear who owns NOLF" issue by releasing updated versions of NOLF and NOLF 2 for free download, apparently on the premise that we can find out who owns them by seeing who files a takedown request. As far as I'm aware, nobody has yet filed that request.
Folks file DMCA requests--even in good faith--all the time when it turns out they don't actually own the IP they think they do.

I think it was Jason Scoot that said that archive.org "reminds" anyone who submits DMCA requests that they must actually own the IP, and in many cases ownership is murky and the claimant backs down.

Is this one large WAD (or PK3) that combines a bunch of megawads into different episdoes, or do you have some kind of multi-wad custom config going here? I haven't seen this before.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are folks turning Steam Input off on the deck? I know you can, but that seems pretty unusual and generally pointless.

Oh I don’t know. I just know the game pad controls don’t work with GZDoom on the Steam Deck through the Discover store. I’m going to try the other distro that got recommended.

Edit: Hooray! The Luxtorpeda install of GZDoom sees the Steam Deck as a 360 controller and works out of the box.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 4, 2023

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

site posted:

gz's controller support has always been wonky. if i ever try to use something that isn't an xbox or emulated xbox controller this happens

https://i.imgur.com/c8CzFr4.mp4

That's honestly extremely common in general right now with a even lot of commercial games - most of them just rely on steam for proper controller support outside the built in microsoft controllers, which means that for the most part, other controllers only work through the steam overlay.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 4, 2023

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Bumhead posted:

Out of the box! There's a community control layout that'll map most everything you need, but as with any community layout you'll either need to take a bit to get used to it/remember buttons or configure some yourself. I did the training course for the first time so I could get used to it, and also discovered some flavor text I missed by never doing the training course before.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Disproportionation posted:

That's honestly extremely common in general right now with a even lot of commercial games - most of them just rely on steam for proper controller support outside the built in microsoft controllers.

i've never had this problem in any other game, and this is only a problem with non xbox controllers

e: actually i ditched the ds4 in favor of xbox for ergonomic reasons a year or so back so i may be talking out my rear end

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is this one large WAD (or PK3) that combines a bunch of megawads into different episdoes, or do you have some kind of multi-wad custom config going here? I haven't seen this before.

https://jp.itch.io/wadsmoosh

site fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 4, 2023

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Does this mean that now they can make a 1:1 source port of it? I love Fresh Supply to bits and that's enough but a "Chocolate" Blood would be cool too!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t think anyone reputable can do anything with leaked source code besides be inspired by what they see. Maybe it’ll explain some things they haven’t been able to figure out?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t think anyone reputable can do anything with leaked source code besides be inspired by what they see. Maybe it’ll explain some things they haven’t been able to figure out?

It includes the original code notes where the devs shat on Ken Silverman for making the Build Engine, that's all it really needs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

...how do you beat the Carnival on blood without going to the secret level?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I would say “you don’t, coward” but man, the secret map sucks.

That said I always do it so I also don’t know the normal exit lol. Hope this helps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Does this mean that now they can make a 1:1 source port of it? I love Fresh Supply to bits and that's enough but a "Chocolate" Blood would be cool too!
It doesn't really change anything in this regard. It's closer to the previously-leaked Alpha build leaked during the game's development than the final game.

Milo and POTUS posted:

...how do you beat the Carnival on blood without going to the secret level?
Instead of hopping across the wooden struts left behind after the bridge blows up, jump in the water and swim through the cave.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm up to level 6 on cultic and it's a lot of fun but man i hate the needing to light up explosives first mechanic, and even though it has a weapon wheel on controller the game doesn't pause when you use it so i've ended up eating quite a bit of damage from it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Fond memories of me mistakenly throwing an unlit bundle of dynamite, panicking, and having to shoot it to recover some semblance of the original thing I was trying to do.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

i'm up to level 6 on cultic and it's a lot of fun but man i hate the needing to light up explosives first mechanic, and even though it has a weapon wheel on controller the game doesn't pause when you use it so i've ended up eating quite a bit of damage from it

Same with explosives. I ended using more the quick TNT throw and then shoot it to time the explosion unless I wanted to throw it around a corner. I had to rebind molotov to a mouse key too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Also I always forgot about (and consequently almost never ended up) combining the molotov and dynamite into a single firebomb. I appreciate the option but I don't think I found myself in too many situations where I had the time to assemble it but simultaneously needed that sort of destruction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Fond memories of me mistakenly throwing an unlit bundle of dynamite, panicking, and having to shoot it to recover some semblance of the original thing I was trying to do.

On the plus side this is way more badass than your original plan

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

agreed, it has big HL2 energy. tbh I'd throw COD: Infinite Warfare in there also, it feels like a classic FPS campaign

Very annoyed that this would crash before even making it to the menu for me. Steam refund in the pipe, but the game still shows in my list of games for now :/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Very annoyed that this would crash before even making it to the menu for me. Steam refund in the pipe, but the game still shows in my list of games for now :/

that sucks. I had it on PS4 and it looked and played amazing. genuinely incredible how good it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weirdly enough the refund seems to have worked and the charge never hit my account but the game is still in my library. Maybe I'll be able to play it years from now when I get a new computer