Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MikeJF posted:

I think you're thinking of the book Federation, which isn't a Shatnerverse.

If so the same thing happens in The Return lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

External Organs posted:

If so the same thing happens in The Return lol

Maybe. I remember in Federation there's a defecting Romulan ship, and another one comes along looking for it and the Enterprise hides in the space in the friendly one as it cloaks.

Oh, is The Return the one where a cloaked Defiant flies into the middle of a warbird and starts rotating and scrapes it apart?

God it's been over a decade and a half since I read these how do I remember all this but have no recollection of half of my uni classes

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 4, 2023

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tell me how people do these?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MikeJF posted:

Maybe. I remember in Federation there's a defecting Romulan ship, and another one comes along looking for it and the Enterprise hides in the space in the friendly one as it cloaks.

Oh, is The Return the one where a cloaked Defiant flies into the middle of a warbird and starts rotating and scrapes it apart?

God it's been over a decade and a half since I read these how do I remember all this but have no recollection of half of my uni classes

That's exactly what happens and also big same. I could tell you more about the xenobiology of the Delphic expanse than I could about..oh, hell, statistics.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I genuinely wonder if Berman was the exec who did this

https://twitter.com/trekmovie/status/1610699718476062720?s=46&t=8451Gyz0wYThdruw6hQobw

Blalock ended up being really good as T’Pol, but Rhodes as Ballard is one of the few memorable Voyager guest appearances. She’d have been a great T’Pol.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely wonder if Berman w

Without a doubt yes

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Blalock ended up being really good as T’Pol, but Rhodes as Ballard is one of the few memorable Voyager guest appearances. She’d have been a great T’Pol.

she was great

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kurzon posted:

Tapestry would have us believe that a person's personality can be fundamentally redefined by a single event, which is something I am skeptical of.
There are like ten moments in my life that would absolutely, fundamentally change who I am if they went down differently, and those are just the ones I can think of.

Life is made up of those "single" events.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phy posted:

Have we ever seen a Federation ship hiding out in the middle of a D'deridex warbird on screen? I'm pretty sure it happened but I can't remember when

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrTBGLot3Wo&t=175s

The intro to Star Trek: Armada.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

disaster pastor posted:

Emissary is the best first episode of any Trek series.

As a kid, the ENT first episode really wowed me. The production design seemed such a step up, I remember as a kid it felt like I was watching a movie, that has always stuck with me. Of course, the gel decontamination thing was weird and awkward as gently caress even then... but besides that bit, I always liked the idea of scrappier humans who were out of their element, and the tension with the vulcans, more grimey seedy locations and situations, coupled with the feeling of a higher quality production still made it stand out for me. Way more than any of the other episodes firsts (though to be fair ENT was the only first episode I ever actually saw premiere and not in re-runs).

If I look back at them now, I think VOY has the best first episode. Its pretty stupid with some of the poo poo in it, [i]but/[i] it really feels like its setting up something big, crews having to work together, trapped on the other side of the galaxy, no way home. I mean, yeah everything after that point pissed on the premise, but I think it set up something more interesting than the other first episodes. Emissary may be a better episode, with a better story to itself, but it didn't do as much to set up a desire to see more of what would happen next.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

As a kid, the ENT first episode really wowed me. The production design seemed such a step up, I remember as a kid it felt like I was watching a movie, that has always stuck with me. Of course, the gel decontamination thing was weird and awkward as gently caress even then... but besides that bit, I always liked the idea of scrappier humans who were out of their element, and the tension with the vulcans, more grimey seedy locations and situations, coupled with the feeling of a higher quality production still made it stand out for me. Way more than any of the other episodes firsts (though to be fair ENT was the only first episode I ever actually saw premiere and not in re-runs).

If I look back at them now, I think VOY has the best first episode. Its pretty stupid with some of the poo poo in it, [i]but/[i] it really feels like its setting up something big, crews having to work together, trapped on the other side of the galaxy, no way home. I mean, yeah everything after that point pissed on the premise, but I think it set up something more interesting than the other first episodes. Emissary may be a better episode, with a better story to itself, but it didn't do as much to set up a desire to see more of what would happen next.

Voyager's is probably second-best IMO. The complete failure of the following seven seasons to live up to it isn't its own fault. And Caretaker is likely higher in the ranking of Voyager episodes than Emissary is in the ranking of DS9 episodes, given the series' relative quality, so if you're just comparing them to their own series, yeah, it could win.

You're not going to get me to say anything positive about the ENT premiere, though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

disaster pastor posted:

Voyager's is probably second-best IMO. The complete failure of the following seven seasons to live up to it isn't its own fault. And Caretaker is likely higher in the ranking of Voyager episodes than Emissary is in the ranking of DS9 episodes, given the series' relative quality, so if you're just comparing them to their own series, yeah, it could win.

You're not going to get me to say anything positive about the ENT premiere, though.

Caretaker part 1 is fine, but the once the actual caretaker the episode is named after shows up its bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

DS9 has unquestionably the best first season of any Star Trek series. It's still not really good, but it is the best.

I think it has some pretty strong competition from Star Trek: Prodigy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paradoxish posted:

DS9 has unquestionably the best first season of any Star Trek series. It's still not really good, but it is the best.

I'll second Prodigy as the best first season. It starts good, has no low-quality episodes, and ends strong. There are strong character arcs, the production design is fantastic, and it's got a great score. I'd put TOS in second place, with DS9 as a close third; TOS had more great episodes in its first season than DS9 had in its first tw..

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

There are like ten moments in my life that would absolutely, fundamentally change who I am if they went down differently, and those are just the ones I can think of.

Life is made up of those "single" events.

Living is making choices!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Living is making choices!

You value your ignorance of what is to come?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Paradoxish posted:

I've started a rewatch in stardate order (according to some rando on the internet) and Emissary comes right after Chain of Command pt2.
It's a fun way to watch the series so far but man Picard has a poo poo weekend, he'd just been rescued after being tortured by the Cartesians only to have Sisko spit in his face over his last capture and torture by the Borg first thing Monday morning.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamnit I just found out that in 1997 they were developing a 40 minute Star Trek IMAX feature that would've starred O'Brien as the main character and got pretty far along and had a completed script and all but it fell apart due to business politics between Paramount and IMAX.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Goddamnit I just found out that in 1997 they were developing a 40 minute Star Trek IMAX feature that would've starred O'Brien as the main character and got pretty far along and had a completed script and all but it fell apart due to business politics between Paramount and IMAX.

O'Brien must suffer in development hell.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Just 40 min of cannibal holocaust with Obrien in the middle of it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

MikeJF posted:

Jeez, even out of Star Trek O'Brien still gets poo poo on

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
All aboooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFjr9SM-VJo

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Robbed of the opportunity to see Colm Meaney's face projected six stories tall.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cenotaph posted:

Robbed of the opportunity to see Colm Meaney's face projected six stories tall.

Nobody did an IMAX version of The Road to Wellness?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nagilum died.

I had no idea that Dr. Silberman voiced Nagilum until now, but I can hear it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Loved that guy, RIP

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't get the Prometheus. It's a ship that can split into three ships, which makes it more powerful in battle. If there's an enemy that takes three ships to defeat, why not just send three regular ships?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurzon posted:

I don't get the Prometheus. It's a ship that can split into three ships, which makes it more powerful in battle. If there's an enemy that takes three ships to defeat, why not just send three regular ships?

It was designed, I believe, to counter Jem'Hadar bug fighters, which also tended to attack in groups of threes. Especially given how bigger, slower ships like the Galaxy-class routinely got their poo poo pushed in by them, creating a ship-to-ship counter platform would be a smart idea. Shame we never got to see it in action on DS9 though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A Jem'hadar ship goes to ram the Prometheus and it just splits around it, destroys it and engages each support vessel from a surprise flanking position.

Sounds sick

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Think of the Prometheus as three Defiants that can stack together to go faster at warp.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MikeJF posted:

Think of the Prometheus as three Defiants that can stack together to go faster at warp.

Presumably there's plans on the drawing board to put five Defiants together to form Star Trek Voltron.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Presumably there's plans on the drawing board to put five Defiants together to form Star Trek Voltron.

They probably did build a Galaxy-variant based on Probert's original design that split off into like 8 pieces.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress everything, we're doing five blades Defiants

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

They probably did build a Galaxy-variant based on Probert's original design that split off into like 8 pieces.

They dropped the idea of segments of the saucer being able to pop out, but the rest of that diagram made it onto the design, all that stuff is meant to be able to be modularly removable and replaceable. Hell, that's not even showing the bridge module or warp core assembly, both of which are meant to also be able to be slid out and new updated ones slid in, like the engines. And the whole roof of the shuttlebay is meant to be able to be popped off too.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Nagilum died.

I had no idea that Dr. Silberman voiced Nagilum until now, but I can hear it.

RIP Earl Boen :( he was a very prolific voice actor.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MikeJF posted:

They dropped the idea of segments of the saucer being able to pop out, but the rest of that diagram made it onto the design, all that stuff is meant to be able to be modularly removable and replaceable. Hell, that's not even showing the bridge module or warp core assembly, both of which are meant to also be able to be slid out and new updated ones slid in, like the engines. And the whole roof of the shuttlebay is meant to be able to be popped off too.

I think most of this looks goofy, but I would have liked to see a scene where, in a pitched battle, the Enterprise weaponizes a detached warp nacelle to plow it through an enemy ship as a warp speed ram. :hellyeah:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Weren't the independent parts of the Prometheus also automated or remotely controlled or something, so it was really like one ship with some attached drones?

I find the Prometheus really silly and not very Star Trek, but the concept seems okay.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

I think most of this looks goofy, but I would have liked to see a scene where, in a pitched battle, the Enterprise weaponizes a detached warp nacelle to plow it through an enemy ship as a warp speed ram. :hellyeah:

Cerritos is meant to to be able to detach all of its bits on the fly at either end of any of its pylons, maybe they'll do it.

Apparently it's all meant to be hyper-modular and, like, engineering can be popped out and then lower itself down to a planetary surface to plug the warp core into something, or they can literally lend a warp nacelle to something else, or so on so forth. Also leads into how replaceable everything is and the engineering and nacelles have gone through multiple replacements.

I'm betting at some point there's going to be an episode where they need to take engineering and the nacelles off somewhere and then there's a crisis and the main characters have to deal with it while flailing around in a saucer with just two big empty struts hanging off the bottom.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 7, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Cerritos is meant to to be able to detach all of its bits on the fly at either end of any of its pylons, maybe they'll do it.

Apparently it's all meant to be hyper-modular and, like, engineering can be popped out and then lower itself down to a planetary surface to plug the warp core into something, or they can literally lend a warp nacelle to something else, or so on so forth. Also leads into how replaceable everything is and the engineering and nacelles have gone through multiple replacements.

I'm betting at some point there's going to be an episode where they need to take engineering and the nacelles off somewhere and then there's a crisis and the main characters have to deal with it while flailing around in a saucer with just two big empty struts hanging off the bottom.

We've already drat near had that with the hull plating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Was Voyager a retreaded Rodenberry concept? I was thinking about how Gene loved his 'defiant mere mortals standing up to a god' trope, and had a great many episodes and even three movies around the concept. However, after he died, other than Q and perhaps the Caretaker, that sort of encounter basically disappears from Star Trek.