Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

also he faked having a heart attack multiple times while filming avengers because he was mad he didn't get a bigger role
another graduate from the Gene Cousineau School of Acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

You should definitely read it. Imo the only stuff that hasn't aged well is the orientalism and a couple plot beats with Haydée. In addition to having really strong characters and some very tense scenes it has badass passages like this

I've said this before, but Valentine's plot also didn't age well because of how fundamentally Dantes (and by extension Dumas) doesn't see teenaged girls as people. Dantes is also a slaveowner (referring here to Ali more than Haydee). Still a good book and I'd recommend reading it, though -- it's public domain and Dumas has been dead for 150 years so it's not like you have to worry about your patronage supporting bad political actors or whatever

Just be prepared for a long read. I don't know how much the abridged version cuts out, but the unabridged version could have used a little abridging

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Jan 4, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/neotrin1ty/status/1610096140866797570

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ymgve posted:

I guess it was to contrast the new influencer generation that have clout but no money or real power (I think the trip was sponsored for them?) with old people from old money

yeah thought it felt like there was some angle I’m missing? like I didn’t get how the discussion of gender roles in the opening scene ties into the end with the harem, and then like even how he gets the crew member fired out of jealousy so they have some influence?

but yea they did say the trip was sponsored and then obviously the opening scene talking about how male models make 1/3rd of female models and then credit card denial so like they go out of their way to show their poor?

actually now that I write that, that’s probably it and the movie is exceptionally Liberal because it goes out of the way to show: see, people are evil and lovely even if they’re poor!! money doesn’t make people lovely!!

Xaris has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Jan 4, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Zvahl posted:

not living there i'm coming at it from the viewpoint of what I see from the outside, but france seems to be more inclined towards color-based racism as their bigotry of choice, as opposed to the genital inspection fever that's taking over the pedoph isles

i guess that's true. also it takes some time for the culture war stuff from the anglo world to arrive here.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Xaris posted:

actually now that I write that, that’s probably it and the movie is exceptionally Liberal because it goes out of the way to show: see, people are evil and lovely even if they’re poor!! money doesn’t make people lovely!!

the director is deffo a tedious shitlib

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
but why male influencers?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Watched The Menu last night. Pretty good. Need to eat a cheeseburger today.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Also it was cool to immediately recognize Jekyll's Driftwood Beach at the start.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Xaris posted:

yeah thought it felt like there was some angle I’m missing? like I didn’t get how the discussion of gender roles in the opening scene ties into the end with the harem, and then like even how he gets the crew member fired out of jealousy so they have some influence?

but yea they did say the trip was sponsored and then obviously the opening scene talking about how male models make 1/3rd of female models and then credit card denial so like they go out of their way to show their poor?

The initial protagonists are hot people as a setup for how economic power dynamics commodify relationships and attention. It's just a more explicit version of the part where the lady in the pool coerce the employees into "having fun" on her behalf.

Didn't particularly care for the movie TBH. First half was a pretty bogstandard "eat the rich" story of the type that has become suspiciously common in Hollywood recently for me to see it as all that interesting or radical, and the second part was just kind of an unfocused mess? Still funny that a movie with a minutes-long vomiting gag ended up winning the Palme d'Or though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Watched The Menu last night. Pretty good. Need to eat a cheeseburger today.

Anyone who doesn't want a cheeseburger after seeing The Menu isn't human

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/EdwardNorton/status/1610520222586535936

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

YaketySass posted:

Didn't particularly care for the movie TBH. First half was a pretty bogstandard "eat the rich" story of the type that has become suspiciously common in Hollywood recently for me to see it as all that interesting or radical, and the second part was just kind of an unfocused mess? Still funny that a movie with a minutes-long vomiting gag ended up winning the Palme d'Or though.
that’s true lol. was a good gag

and yeah there has been a suspicious amount of “eat da rich” movies, but they are generally also kinda toothless (which is the intent, a defusatory mechanism for tension and re-entrenchment of end of history)

I blame parasite

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Amanda Seyfried did a nice job in The Dropout.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I’d also say I did a double feature night of Glass Onion and Triangle of Sadness, and glass onion was definitely the better movie and even as weak and ineffectually liberal as rians Class hierarchy writing is, it had more bite than triangle which I took away as being turbo shitlib at the end.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

I liked her but I didn't get past the first episode. Michael Showalter did the same thing in The Dropout that he did with The Eyes of Tammy Faye where instead of telling the story linearly it just kept hopping around between different moments of her life and idk it just wasn't working for me.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

love this little scene of her in The Return https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za5NcKBYk14

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

and yeah there has been a suspicious amount of “eat da rich” movies, but they are generally also kinda toothless (which is the intent, a defusatory mechanism for tension and re-entrenchment of end of history)

I blame parasite

Glass Onion felt like reading D&D

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Just watched glass onion - like knives out it's got some fun performances but the mystery plot kinda sucks

Johnson's best whodunit remains high school detective

TDepressionEarl posted:

oh i'm rooting for the guy i guess. hate when a good samaritan gets punished. the glasses make him look way cuter.

Don't listen to the Renner haters they're just mad they never unlocked the Happy Rennsday feature on his app

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Glass Onion felt like reading D&D

You just don’t understand how SUBVERSIVE it is that the billionaire who controls every institution faces no consequence for his actions, save for the heavy hand of the free market, which is totally going to OWN him for burning the Mona Lisa.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

gosh stop seeing politics everywhere and just enjoy a well made movie!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Johnson's best whodunit remains high school detective

100%, and he got there the old fashioned way: by mixing and matching bits of Red Harvest, The Maltese Falcon, and The Glass Key, crossing out Dashiell Hammett's name, and writing in his own.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
whens the live action rick & morty movie by dan harmon/rian johnson come out

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

a strange fowl posted:

i am going to kill you

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

fits my needs posted:

whens the live action rick & morty movie by dan harmon/rian johnson come out

they need to develop a camera capable of capturing that much smug

Serf
May 5, 2011

You just don’t understand how SUBVERSIVE it is that the billionaire who controls every institution faces no consequence for his actions, save for the heavy hand of the free market, which is totally going to OWN him for burning the Mona Lisa.

i liked the movie but it sure seemed like a few billion dollars would make the mona lisa stuff go away. like people on twitter would talk about it forever, but i just can't see a universe where that dude is punished for anything that happened

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Even Norton's energy thing being a disaster will only set him back a little, he's obviously rich enough to be totally insured against his own failures.

He is very upset at being owned, so I can see why so many ppl are satisfied with Janelle's literal pyrrhic victory

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I keep saying it: every fuel is flammable enough to burn a painting if someone blows it up next to the painting. This doesn't even discredit the project!!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

like with duke dead no one can place him at the scene of the first murder. and then he can probably get off for murdering duke by just claiming that the dude accidentally drank the wrong thing. like maybe inheritance law experts had the same problem with knives out and there's some legal loophole they could use to gently caress over marta but i get to be blissfully ignorant of that. in glass onion all i could think about at the end was how much faith you're supposed to have in the legal system when we have lived our entire lives seeing the rich get away with basically everything. the turtleneck lady only went to "jail" because she hosed with the money

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

and also any legal outcome is ultimately dependent on the other people perjuring themselves, which they have no reason to do.

it’s been said in the other thread multiple times that turning on him is the rational thing to do when it’s totally not.

also love the implication behind inviting world leaders to your weird island temple. I’d love to see the flight logs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
in Johnson's wildest dreams the most punishment he can conceive of a billionaire facing is that when he's dead some people might call him an rear end in a top hat

it's the "have you no decency sir" school of criminal justice

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like I get that the Mona Lisa is "The Environment" but it's just too silly to take seriously

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its also the greek police

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I was at a pizza place and the couple on a date next to me were talking about why the crystal thing did what it did at the end & how could there be so much fire

and I was nodding along. it makes no sense

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there was a lot of fire cause it looked cool. that makes sense to me

what I want to know is at what percent hydrogen concentration does ambient air become flammable, but not to nitpick the movie; merely because I’m curious

Serf
May 5, 2011

if anything the explosion was too small. you can't invoke the hindenberg and have your explosion be some weaksauce poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well I think the purpose of the explosion was to look sort of cool and kind of artsy rather than like the explosion in The Rock where they drop the thermite plasma too early and Stanley Goodspeed gets gently knocked into the water

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gosh stop seeing politics everywhere and just enjoy a well made movie!

sadly it's not well-made, the dialogue sucks rear end, so you get bogged down into the inconsistencies of the plot and all the discourse around it. it's the same thing with all these topical movies. too many filmmakers are just aiming for water cooler moments instead of entertaining people.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tristeham posted:

sadly it's not well-made, the dialogue sucks rear end, so you get bogged down into the inconsistencies of the plot and all the discourse around it. it's the same thing with all these topical movies. too many filmmakers are just aiming for water cooler moments instead of entertaining people.

i thought don't look up was better than glass onion because even the protagonists were mocked badly for being ineffectual and then dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The entertainment comes from foghorn leghorn ft. Daniel Craig.