Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you go the quilt route the pad attachment can make a major difference. Some manufacturers quilt straps suck, others have worked pretty well for me.

I primarily hammock camp so I forgo pad attachments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Some companies make mummyish bags now that aren't quite as constricting, like Big Agnes's Sidewinder and Nemo's Disco.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I use the Nemo Disco. I'm a side & stomach sleeper, and it's great for both.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love my Disco. It seems like the heavier, luxury option vs a quilt.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Some sleeping bags can also unzip and be used like a quilt with a foot box.

But yeah either look at a quilt or bigger mummy bags. Rectangular bags usually have a lot of wasted space (corners by the feet).

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So I would like to report that down is real. Picked up a Nemo Disco 15 on boxing day, which is also my first not bargain bin sleeping bag. For most reviews saying how big and heavy it was, I am pretty blown away with how small it packs down.

It's similar in size to my definitely super not 34degree 34 degree bag and about 1/4 the size of my actually warm 30 degree bag. I'm a convert!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Down is great, and definitely pay to play. The higher fill power stuff is just incredible.

Make sure youre storing it loosely and not in its stuff sack. Most vendors include a mesh storage bag nowadays.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My ZOLEO just bit it after 1.5 years.

Thankfully they just added a year to their warranties and I have a new in the mail.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Math You posted:

So I would like to report that down is real. Picked up a Nemo Disco 15 on boxing day, which is also my first not bargain bin sleeping bag. For most reviews saying how big and heavy it was, I am pretty blown away with how small it packs down.

It's similar in size to my definitely super not 34degree 34 degree bag and about 1/4 the size of my actually warm 30 degree bag. I'm a convert!

I was in an REI a few days ago comparing the Disco 15 vs the Disco 30. I had the same impression as you, lighter and smaller packed volume than I expected. In any case, they both had the same size stuff sack with built in compression. The 30 compressed a little bit more than the 15 as expected, maybe 2 inches shorter at most.. Both were a lot smaller than I thought they would be.

The Riff 15 is on sale at REI now for 40 percent off. It uses 800 fill power vs 650 in the Disco. Still listed as good for side sleepers, but it is a bit narrower than the Disco. Looks like you save around a third of a pound and it packs a bit smaller.

I still need to buy a bag and either looks like a good option for side sleeping.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I was in an REI a few days ago comparing the Disco 15 vs the Disco 30. I had the same impression as you, lighter and smaller packed volume than I expected. In any case, they both had the same size stuff sack with built in compression. The 30 compressed a little bit more than the 15 as expected, maybe 2 inches shorter at most.. Both were a lot smaller than I thought they would be.

The Riff 15 is on sale at REI now for 40 percent off. It uses 800 fill power vs 650 in the Disco. Still listed as good for side sleepers, but it is a bit narrower than the Disco. Looks like you save around a third of a pound and it packs a bit smaller.

I still need to buy a bag and either looks like a good option for side sleeping.

I think the only other difference is that the riff uses a 20D shell fabric vs 30 on the disco. Combined that makes the riff a couple oz lighter and a slightly smaller pack size. Same features and warmth. Basically just a Disco premium for weight weenies.

I was actually going to get the Riff to avoid upgrade-itis but the deals in Canada were better on the Disco. Now that I've spent a bit of time with it I am not concerned at all about being underwhelmed with it.

From what I gather you're also better off getting the 15. It's a very small difference in weight/pack size/cost so unless you literally never will take the bag below 40 degrees it's a bit of a no brainer. If you get a little hot that's what the gills are for!

Edit: I actually checked and the Riff is slightly smaller.. between 2-4" at the shoulder, hip and knee.
At 5'11 210 lbs I fit really nicely in the regular Disco so if you're smaller than my ample frame the Riff will likely do you well

Math You fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 4, 2023

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Math You posted:

When I finally bit the bullet and went from my old synthetic to a down bag it was a revelation.

Took me from 1.8kg down to 600g, from drat near 10l packed to the size of a football. And all this for basically the same temperature range.

One day maybe I'll pick up a nice down jacket, but it's so hard to justify the cost even as great as they are, especially when there's tons of good wool stuff in the local second hand store

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Down is real and I love it.

If you're looking for an inexpensive down jacket, eddie bauers cirrus lite is a great deal. Often it goes on sale for $50-70 for a 650 fill zip up jacket. I have one of their nicer down jackets (first ascent downlite 800 fill) which is normally $200+ but it was on sale for $160. I bought a cirrus lite for a lighter, more casual jacket and I probably use that more than anything. Its so light, packable and warm for its weight that it goes with on more of my hikes than almost any other jacket. I bring it on summer hikes when I'm going up high to a glacier or peak. I'll wear it under my ski jacket on really cold days. My downlite only really gets used for winter/cold stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The REI 650 is very good for the price too, and it's probably functionally identical to the cirruslite so it comes down to which brand offers a color you like. I tend to run hot so it seems like I need less warmth than some, and with a midlayer it's kept me comfortable into single digit temps (in freedom units).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wore a Uniqlo down jacket for years. It's still my designated campfire jacket because it's already full of holes.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

carrionman posted:

When I finally bit the bullet and went from my old synthetic to a down bag it was a revelation.

Took me from 1.8kg down to 600g, from drat near 10l packed to the size of a football. And all this for basically the same temperature range.

One day maybe I'll pick up a nice down jacket, but it's so hard to justify the cost even as great as they are, especially when there's tons of good wool stuff in the local second hand store

Down is incredible. I accidentally bought a Mountain Equipment duvet jacket (misread the price tag in the store, thought i'd got an incredible deal, got to the checkout and bit the bullet anyway as I had a trip coming up) and it has been great in the suburban Arctic - packs down to a football with its stuff sack but keeps me warm on -15ºC days.

After years of weak-rear end cheap synthetic down I am a convert.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

carrionman posted:

Down jackets are amazing, until they get wet - I prefer using synthetic jackets for that reason.
Down sleeping bags all the way though!

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Got a chunk of money from family for Xmas with the note that I must spend it on outdoor gear. This is a good thing.

Thinking about finally picking up one of those Big Agnes Copper Spur ultralight tents (husband and I backpack and would get the 3P so there will be room for kiddo when he gets bigger). Def want something that's going to stay dry inside and be relatively easy to put together.

Anyone every used this tent before? I know there are a couple of types of Copper Spur tents. I'm looking at the HV UL3 mtnGLO in particular.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Beezus posted:

Got a chunk of money from family for Xmas with the note that I must spend it on outdoor gear. This is a good thing.

Thinking about finally picking up one of those Big Agnes Copper Spur ultralight tents (husband and I backpack and would get the 3P so there will be room for kiddo when he gets bigger). Def want something that's going to stay dry inside and be relatively easy to put together.

Anyone every used this tent before? I know there are a couple of types of Copper Spur tents. I'm looking at the HV UL3 mtnGLO in particular.

Ive slept in a friends copper spur years ago, not sure how much theyve changed.

I would save yourself a few bucks and skip the GLO models. Just get a cheap pair of usb powered string lights.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive slept in a friends copper spur years ago, not sure how much theyve changed.

I would save yourself a few bucks and skip the GLO models. Just get a cheap pair of usb powered string lights.

Good tip on the LED, thanks. It seemed like a cool feature but yeah, maybe not worth the extra $$. So sounds like it's the HV UL3 we should be looking at instead.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have mtnGLO in one of my tents. It's pretty but not actually bright enough to read a book by, which is a bit of a letdown.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I have mtnGLO in one of my tents. It's pretty but not actually bright enough to read a book by, which is a bit of a letdown.

Mmm yeah definitely a deal breaker. A book is the 11th essential.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Beezus posted:

I have a Copper Spur UL3 and it’s great. It’s 2 of us plus a dog and we all fit very comfortably. I am in the Mountain West/Desert Southwest and don’t get a ton of rain so I can’t speak to how well it does in the elements, but it does perform admirably in windy conditions. Sets up and packs down nicely too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I have the Copper Spur UL2 and love it for solo trips. For light I would recommend picking up one of the newer BD Moji Lanterns over MtnGlo (I have both).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Same, and we have the added issue of always losing the battery pack. And the plug is at the top center of the tent so it's a hassle to use any other power bank. Bring that USB extension cord. :downs:

It is a nice glow if you just want some mood lighting I guess.

Everything else about the tent and company is great. The bungee cord in the tent poles dried out and broke after five years and Big Agnes replaced it all us for zero cost.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've got the copper spur bikepacking 2 variant and it's very good! tents starting to show its age now but it's still going.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I have the Copper Spur HV UL2 mtnGLO and the lights broke after the 2nd or 3rd use :(

The rest of the tent has been great though; almost 6 years and 60+ nights in it, surviving wind, rain, sand, and tiny foxes, and it's still in perfect condition.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

Thanks, all. Bought the Copper Spur HV UL3 this morning, sans mtnGLO. Can't wait to try it out.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Verman posted:

Down is real and I love it.

If you're looking for an inexpensive down jacket, eddie bauers cirrus lite is a great deal. Often it goes on sale for $50-70 for a 650 fill zip up jacket. I have one of their nicer down jackets (first ascent downlite 800 fill) which is normally $200+ but it was on sale for $160. I bought a cirrus lite for a lighter, more casual jacket and I probably use that more than anything. Its so light, packable and warm for its weight that it goes with on more of my hikes than almost any other jacket. I bring it on summer hikes when I'm going up high to a glacier or peak. I'll wear it under my ski jacket on really cold days. My downlite only really gets used for winter/cold stuff.

My wife picked this up for me and I'm very pleasantly surprised. It also packs up fairly tightly. Big fan.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Beezus posted:

Thanks, all. Bought the Copper Spur HV UL3 this morning, sans mtnGLO. Can't wait to try it out.

Did you get the groundsheet? It's kinda overpriced for what it is. Highly recommend just grabbing a tarp roughly the same size instead unless you really wanna set it up fly only.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Going back to talk of sleeping bags, I now see REI has the Riff 15 on sale and I got a $40 off coupon as well but they only have it in Long, at 5'9" would that be unwise to purchase? Its max occupant height is 78".

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That’s more footbox to get cold on you in the middle of the night, and take longer to warm up when you get in. I think it’ll probably be more uncomfortable overall than just getting one that fits you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
A sleeping bag that's like, an inch or two or three longer than your body is about as long as you want. Too much extra room results in cold feet. It's best if you can get into it and see if it is indeed too short.

I'd rather have a just right sleeping bag than a too long. Too short obviously no good. Buy from a place with a good return policy just in case.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
that said, for some of us, because human bodies are weird and unstandardized, sometimes you gotta get the long because it's the only way to get wide, and boy, lemme tell you, I will suffer the cold feet over feeling like being in a straightjacket any day of the week.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lol. True. Being a skinny guy, that's never my problem. A solution to a long bag of stuff your clothes in the toe box.

Also if it's relatively warm, unzip that thing and use it like a quilt.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Verman posted:

Lol. True. Being a skinny guy, that's never my problem. A solution to a long bag of stuff your clothes in the toe box.

or a nalgene filled with hot water

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I got a great deal on a clearance long bag. I just pull the extra inside out (outside in?) before I crawl in and then my feet have a little pillow.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Quixotic1 posted:

I got a $40 off coupon as well

Pray tell, how did you swing that?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Got a one time use code in the mail as a member out of the blue. To be specific, it was 40 off a 200 purchase; Was surprised it worked on already discounted items such as the bag.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Quixotic1 posted:

Got a one time use code in the mail as a member out of the blue. To be specific, it was 40 off a 200 purchase; Was surprised it worked on already discounted items such as the bag.

Note to self: Be more careful sifting through the mail from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

hemale in pain posted:

Did you get the groundsheet? It's kinda overpriced for what it is. Highly recommend just grabbing a tarp roughly the same size instead unless you really wanna set it up fly only.

Not but I am definitely getting a footprint from somewhere at some point. REI doesn't carry the one for this tent (which is where I bought it) so was going to look around for something else. Tarp would be fine. I think we'll probably start by car camping with this and find something lighter/easier to pack down for backpacking when kiddo is bigger.