Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm super excited for RTX Video Super Resolution next month. Since it can work on any video watched in a web browser, I wonder if it can clean up compressed and artifact-y Discord/Twitch streams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Oh boy, Steves on a rampage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-FMPbm5CNM

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

change my name posted:

I'm super excited for RTX Video Super Resolution next month. Since it can work on any video watched in a web browser, I wonder if it can clean up compressed and artifact-y Discord/Twitch streams
nvidia's content creator rep says it cleans up artifacts

https://twitter.com/gerdelgado/status/1610342798137643009

wrt discord, they're going to roll out av1 video soon which would do a lot of the work to improve quality. nvidia don't say explicitly that video super resolution works beyond x264, so that's also going to be interesting to follow

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

2023 off to a fantastic start for content. I just want a new 3080 with 12 gigs. :smith:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wow, so I bought a 4070ti back in April!

(Well, for 4k performance anyway :v:)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 4, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder if Video DLSS will come to have Firefox compatibility or what would be involved in that. I like the look of the feature, but not enough to use Chrome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m going to guess it’s entirely Chromium based so will not work in Firefox.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Lol @ how these prices are displayed. This is probably just an artifact of The Unlaunching but it's still kind of scummy thing for MC to pull.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

What price would the 4070ti have been worth it at? I'm so tired of all this GPU pricing stupidity that's been going on since the 20xx release.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora posted:

it doesn't even work in brave at the moment apparently. then again, there's a financial incentive for them to make it work in firefox

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ughhhh posted:

What price would the 4070ti have been worth it at? I'm so tired of all this GPU pricing stupidity that's been going on since the 20xx release.

For a 1440p card at this point, $600 at the maximum.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

FBS posted:

Lol @ how these prices are displayed. This is probably just an artifact of The Unlaunching but it's still kind of scummy thing for MC to pull.

small comfort that there will actually be $800 cards. hopefully they still sit on shelves though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

I expect that the Chromium-side changes are small (if any, it might be all external, I’ve forgotten everything about how web browser codec integration and painting works) and that the actual DLSS stuff happens in NVIDIA code, so while it clearly won’t support Firefox out of the gate, it might not be that much work for someone to add that support on the Firefox side.

I always wondered whether there was any useful overlap between the motion vectors in video encodings and those used by TAA stuff!

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if Video DLSS will come to have Firefox compatibility or what would be involved in that. I like the look of the feature, but not enough to use Chrome.
It works in Edge. You should be using Edge to maximize your Bing points.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ughhhh posted:

4070 Ti : 4090 die size and core count ratio are virtually identical to 3060 Ti : 3090. To match up the MSRP ratio, the 4070 Ti would be $426 for the nonexistent FE. I'd say anything over $500 is definitely a ripoff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ughhhh posted:

It’s 3080 12gb performance for higher than the 3080 launch price. That means that there is a zero “real” performance improvement at the price point.

This would be “fair” at the eBay street price of a 3080 which was what $500?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 4, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

help us raja m. koduri, you're our only hope :(

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

K8.0 posted:

I'd say anything over $500 is definitely a ripoff.

or that the easy days of affordable treats are coming to an end. When i bought my 2070S fe at msrp i definitely felt ripped off, but i guess yesterday was better than today, and today is better than tomorrow.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 4, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

4070 Ti : 4090 die size and core count ratio are virtually identical to 3060 Ti : 3090. To match up the MSRP ratio, the 4070 Ti would be $426 for the nonexistent FE. I'd say anything over $500 is definitely a ripoff.

Does the cost impact of die size increase linearly or however is needed for comparing that ratio to be meaningful? I’ve never fully understood the cost structure for wafer/die stuff

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
chip cost sorta increases exponentially with size, because individual dies will get hit with faults more often so you get a lower % good dies per wafer, and there's less of them per wafer because they're bigger and you're paying TSMC per wafer afaik

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, so I’m not sure that comparing price relationship to linear die size relationship is meaningful? I’m trying to figure out what the math implied here actually signifies:

K8.0 posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

OK, so I’m not sure that comparing price relationship to linear die size relationship is meaningful? I’m trying to figure out what the math implied here actually signifies:
The important part is that the die size is actually way down in size but the price is way the gently caress up so the whole explanation doesn't make any sense in the first place. It's also only a part of the BOM cost so even if TSMC doubled the price it doesn't explain it.

Hell the 4070Ti die is smaller than my 1070's, and I got it for $400 at the peak of that mining boom.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s 3080 12gb performance for higher than the 3080 launch price. That means that there is a zero “real” performance improvement at the price point.

This would be “fair” at the eBay street price of a 3080 which was what $500?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

repiv posted:

help us raja m. koduri, you're our only hope :(
They officially gave up on the enthusiast market.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ughhhh posted:

or that the easy days of affordable treats are coming to an end. When i bought my 2070S fe at msrp i definitely felt ripped off, but i guess yesterday was better than today, and today is better than tomorrow.

The 4090 proves that Nvidia can still sell GPUs at aggressive price : performance points and make money. Their own flagship product defeats this narrative.

Subjunctive posted:

The exponential increase in cost (or decrease, depending on the direction you're talking about) should be virtually identical for the 3090 compared to the 3060 Ti as the 4090 is to the 4070 Ti.

Nvidia made money selling the 3090 at $1500, and is making money selling the 4090 at $1600. Nvidia made money selling the 3060 Ti at $400. The fact that 3060 Ti is to 3090 as 4070 Ti is to 4090 makes it almost impossible to argue that Nvidia wouldn't be making a similar profit margin to what they intended to make on the 30 series selling the 4070 Ti at $426. Maybe a bit more because it has relatively more and relatively more expensive ram, but we're talking tens of dollars in difference there, max. OTOH the 3060 Ti is actually a significant cut down, meaning that silicon was going to waste there since the same chip could have been sold as a 3070 or 3070 Ti in most cases, which means the relative cost of the 3060 Ti may be slightly higher than I estimated, justifying a slightly lower number for the 4070 Ti.

Nvidia's pricing this generation is entirely based on what they believe they can hose consumers for at any given product level, there is zero consistency in their profit margin across the product stack. The 4070 Ti is a vastly more profitable product than the 4090, which is completely backwards. Flagship products should always have by a large margin the most profit margin per unit since they are a luxury good. The 3090 was only ~11% faster than the 3080 and it sold for twice as much.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 4, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Josh Lyman posted:

They officially gave up on the enthusiast market.

wait, what?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GET 'EM STEVE :black101: I love how he never pulls any punches regardless who he's calling out, GN is awesome

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Rinkles posted:

wait, what?

Intel Arc

Edit: I assume Josh is referring to the MLID "leak" that we won't be seeing discrete cards for battle mage and celestial, only low end stuff in laptops. I'd say any leak by mlid has to be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 4, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah, that's what i'm asking about.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

wait, what?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-re-orgs-axg-graphics-group-raja-koduri-moves-back-to-chief-architect-role

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
finally, some not completely awful news

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1610720263686979604

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

K8.0 posted:

Nvidia's pricing this generation is entirely based on what they believe they can hose consumers for at any given product level,

I hate to burst your bubble here but you are describing how almost everything is priced.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whether they're being honest or not, they're not officially giving up

quote:

the company assures us that it remains fully committed to its existing roadmap of Arc consumer discrete GPUs, meaning it intends to launch the second-gen Battlemage and third-gen Celestial gaming GPUs as planned. Those GPUs will join the recently launched Alchemist series, which will also continue to be supported.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh thank god it's only 2 fans.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m a Noctua fanboy, but I won’t buy that 4080 either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

Nvidia's pricing this generation is entirely based on what they believe they can hose consumers for at any given product level, there is zero consistency in their profit margin across the product stack.

Has there previously been consistency in their margins? I have no idea what they report about that stuff or what’s actually known about their TSMC deals or non-die costs.

Pretty much every product in the world is priced based on (expected) market acceptance. Everywhere I’ve worked has had wildly different per-unit margins, where I’ve known about them. Cost is a floor usually, but it’s not determinative beyond that really. Market dynamics can push price towards cost, often through competitive pricing of substitute products (including from the same supplier). NVIDIA appears to think that there isn’t much competitive vulnerability on pricing, and I don’t see a reason to think otherwise myself.

Or maybe DLSS3 was really expensive to develop and they’re amortizing the cost aggressively!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ughhhh posted:

I'd say $600 would be the correct price for the card looking at historical trends, adjusting for inflation and position the product stack. $600.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 4, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I wonder how Nvidia's delayed TSMC allocation is going to affect their pricing as the year goes on. If they're already seeing 4080s on shelves with a delayed allocation, what happens when they need to put the rest to use?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'd like to thank nVidia for helping improve the value of my RTX 3090 and making that bad purchase done in duress during 2021 less painful now in 2023.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thinking of building a new PC since my current one is over 6 years old and the GPU market being what it is makes me wonder what's the best option to go with in the 600ish range for new cards? Would prefer to not roll the dice on buying a used gpu off of ebay and the 4000 series seems unlikely to ever come down from the "you paid scalpers this much so you'll pay us this much" prices.

The more i look the more it feels like "if you have a PS5 just play any demanding games on that for another 6-12 months and hope your PC keeps trucking along" is the answer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steam Deck, and you can even stream nicely from the PS5 using Chiaki.