Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
So Cloud missed the roll-call vote which will be interesting to see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Xombie posted:

So Cloud missed the roll-call vote which will be interesting to see why.

The vote's dyin' Cloud!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Shooting Blanks posted:

I didn't have CSPAN on, please someone tell me there's a transcript of this available.

Her nom speech:

Boebert posted:

I RISE TODAY TO NOMINATE BYRON DONALDS, MY FRIEND, AN AMAZING MAN OF FLORIDA, AN AMAZING LEADER. SOMEONE WHO ALMOST EVEN TOOK LEADERSHIP HERE IN OUR REPUBLICAN PARTY AND CAME VERY CLOSE IN DOING SO AND IT WAS A VERY BRAVE RUN THAT HE TOOK. HE'S A MAN WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT TOUGH TIMES LOOK LIKE AND HAS COME OUT OF THOSE TOUGH TIMES EVEN STRONGER, MORE LIBERATED AND AS A LEADER. WE JUST HEARD FROM MY RESPECTED COLLEAGUE FROM OHIO AND HE STATED SOME AMAZING RULES THAT WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET AN AGREEMENT ON, I THINK. WE WERE THREATENED PRETTY HEAVILY IN CONFERENCE SAYING IF WE DON'T DO AS WE OUGHT, THEN SOME OF THOSE RULES MAY JUST GO AWAY. BUT EVEN NAMING THE GERMANENESS RULE WHICH IS REALLY FANTASTIC AFTER MORGAN GRIFFITH, WELL, THAT WAS OUR IDEA TOO. MY QUESTION IS, WHY DIDN'T THE SUPPOSED LEADER OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY PRESENT THESE RULES? WHY WERE WE FOUGHT SO HARD ON THESE RULES? THE BARRIER THAT STILL STANDS IN THE WAY OF THESE RULES IS THE STRUCTURE THAT PREVENTS US FROM RULING OVER. AS MY FRIEND, CHIP ROY, STATED, WE NEED THE TOOLS AND THE LEADERSHIP TO DO OUR JOB CORRECTLY. AND I BELIEVE THAT BYRON DONALDS IS THE MAN TO LEAD US TO THAT PATH OF GETTING AMERICA ON TRACK AND UNITING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. MY COLLEAGUES AND I HAVE WORKED TIRELESSLY FOR MONTHS TO BUILD CONSENSUS, TO NEGOTIATE IN GOOD FAITH, TO HELP UNIFY OUR PARTY ON BORDER SECURITY, ENERGY SECURITY, DEBT REDUCTION, TERM LIMITS, EARMARKS, AMONG OTHER MANY COMMONSENSE POLICIES. BUT TOO OFTEN OUR EFFORTS HAVE FALLEN ON DEAF EARS. OUR BORDER IS WIDE OPEN. INFLATION IS OUT OF CONTROL. THE SENATE JUST PASSED $1.7 TRILLION WITHOUT OUR INPUT. SO LET ME BE CLEAR. OUR JOB IS NOT TO COORDINATE THE BIGGEST FUNDRAISER OR RUBBER STAMP THE STATUS QUO OR KEEP ON GOING ALONG TO GET ALONG. IT'S TO USE OUR VOTES TO ELECT A SPEAKER WHO WILL ENABLE US TO GET OUR COUNTRY BACK ON TRACK. GETTING THE JOB DONE IS WHAT WE WERE ELECTED TO DO. AND THAT STARTS WITH HAVING A LEADER WHO SUPPORTS REPUBLICAN PRINCIPLES, BUILDS CONSENSUS AND HAS A PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF SUCCESS. BYRON DONALDS IS THAT LEADER. REPUBLICANS, INCLUDING MANY MODERATES, HAVE BEEN IMPRESSED BY BYRON DONALDS. THEY'RE IMPRESSED BY HIS ABILITY TO WORK TOGETHER, THEY RESPECT HIS LEADERSHIP. WE SEE HIM AS SOMEONE WHO CAN COMMUNICATE WHAT WE ARE ALL WANTING TO DO IN THIS HOUSE TO AMERICANS AND HE REPRESENTS SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST HIS DISTRICT IN FLORIDA. MANY MILLIONS OF AMERICANS ALL OVER THIS NATION PRAITZ THE WORK AND THE -- PRAITZ THE WORK AND THE -- PRAISE THE WORK AND THE LEADERSHIP OF BYRON DONALDS. SO LET'S WORK TOGETHER. LET'S STOP WITH THE CAMPAIGN SMEARS AND TACTICS TO GET PEOPLE TO TURN AGAINST US, EVEN HAVING MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT CALL US AND TELL US WE NEED TO KNOCK THIS OFF, I THINK IT ACTUALLY NEEDS TO BE REVERSED. THE PRESIDENT NEEDS TO TELL KEVIN MCCARTHY THAT, SIR, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE VOTES AND IT'S TIME TO WITHDRAW. WITH THAT, I YIELD. THANK YOU.

toget
Jul 12, 2008
Donalds is on ABC news (and others) now stating that he thinks a speaker will be elected tomorrow after further negotiations tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBpKtXQZL4o

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Old James posted:

Can we turn this into a drinking game?

Every time someone votes with a sentence instead of just the name, take a drink
Every time a Republican votes against McCarthy, take a drink
Every time the camera cuts to McCarthy, take a drink
Every time McCarthy loses the vote, finish your drink

the representatives to-be should be required to play this game but it'd have to be smuggled into Jefferson's rules of order
everyone getting progressively sloshed as they try to stave off unconsciousness

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How did McCarthy become the original frontrunner anyways? Just no one else wanted the job on the Republican side?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Randalor posted:

How did McCarthy become the original frontrunner anyways? Just no one else wanted the job on the Republican side?

He was the Minority Leader.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Randalor posted:

he's wanted this for nearly a decade

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So basically the leader of the house party can't get the confidence of the house which in a parliamentary system would lead to another election or a different party getting a stab at it but instead you can just keep trying forever?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If you think about it, all this is the Democrats fault!

https://twitter.com/JustinWStapley/status/1610489985790271493?t=ZEOUMkv-awOd-9-mkHj31A&s=19

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Pelosi missed the vote?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

rscott posted:

Some of us have to work this week

frankly I'd worry about surviving if I played that game

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Randalor posted:

McCarthy succeeded two previous speakers who retired out of frustration with this exact state of affairs. Compared to those two, McCarthy is considered by just about everyone to be a goober, but he was minority leader, and no one else wants the job really.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Randalor posted:

He only needed 50% of his party’s support to be their “front runner” but he needs 50% of everyone in congress to be elected speaker. Defections and the slim margins mean he can’t pass the second step.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Spartz, who was "present" last time, just missed the vote

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Randalor posted:

After Paul Ryan bowed out, McCarthy was the only member of leadership who wanted to be minority leader. Now, he's trying to become Speaker since the Republicans have the majority.

The other "rising stars" of the House Republican caucus all saw what happened to Eric Cantor, Paul Ryan, and John Boehner after they wanted to be speaker and decided to bow out for now because they thought it would only hurt their career since the House won't be able to pass anything on its own until at least 2025.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Iamgoofball posted:

Pelosi missed the vote?

They can vote at the end if they miss the roll call

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

To be fair Paul Ryan was about 3% of the vote away from using his position to escape.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If I'm seeing this right, a lot of people (like 20?) missed first roll, and McCarthy will at most have 191 votes after the roll call. Who know how many he will get afterwards, or how many members vote present.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alctel posted:

So basically the leader of the house party can't get the confidence of the house which in a parliamentary system would lead to another election or a different party getting a stab at it but instead you can just keep trying forever?

This isn't like coalition formation. There's effectively two parties in the House. The Dems are voting too, but they don't have enough votes.

And we can't just redo the House elections. Aside from resignations and deaths, this is the House we're going to have for the next two years.

They have to keep trying forever, because there is no other resolution. Until someone, R or D, gets a majority of votes, there's no Speaker. And without a Speaker, the House can't do anything.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
how many votes are we on

Where is this in the ranks of Speaker votes

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
LETS DO IT AGAIN!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Okay, disregard everything else, the outcome of this vote is identical to the last one. 212 Jeffries, 201 McCarthy, 20 Donalds, 1 present.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spartz votes Present again, looks like same results as the 4th vote

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Jaxyon posted:

how many votes are we on

5th just finished.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:pirate:

https://twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/1610704356101459970?s=20&t=LJoZ9UcDJPwD-WHHEBJYOA

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

I want to get off Mr. McCarthy's Wild Ride.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Scalise, Perry and Gaetz are talking right now. To be a fly on that chair!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

how many votes are we on

https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers-Multiple-Ballots/

9th most all-time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tecnocrat posted:

I want to get off Mr. McCarthy's Wild Ride.
THE RIDE
NEVER ENDS
:skeltal:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A one person vote of no confidence, lmao

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610720657611923456

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this loving guy. shut up dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwX-SnlzHPQ

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't like coalition formation. There's effectively two parties in the House. The Dems are voting too, but they don't have enough votes.

And we can't just redo the House elections. Aside from resignations and deaths, this is the House we're going to have for the next two years.

They have to keep trying forever, because there is no other resolution. Until someone, R or D, gets a majority of votes, there's no Speaker. And without a Speaker, the House can't do anything.

Also Democrats can just sit and vote as a bloc for their uncontroversial opinion of "a Democrat, lol" and the longer the Republicans can't elect a speaker with their majority, the worse they look.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

How the gently caress do they imagine that working? Is there a provision that it has to be from within the caucus, or could a dem just keep tying them in knots for no reason?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Scalise, Perry and Gaetz are talking right now. To be a fly on that chair!

A fun thing that was mentioned is that normally the House rules prevent C-Span from doing all of these close-ups on the negotiations in the benches in between votes, but because there isn't a speaker yet, the rules package hasn't been passed yet, so the camera operators can show whatever they want

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610722782572335106

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610723006891843584

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Lord of Hats posted:

How the gently caress do they imagine that working? Is there a provision that it has to be from within the caucus, or could a dem just keep tying them in knots for no reason?
The last time it was floated, it was 5 from the majority

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

The Glumslinger posted:

A fun thing that was mentioned is that normally the House rules prevent C-Span from doing all of these close-ups on the negotiations in the benches in between votes, but because there isn't a speaker yet, the rules package hasn't been passed yet, so the camera operators can show whatever they want

I never knew this!

I love the CSPAN camera operator now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Also Democrats can just sit and vote as a bloc for their uncontroversial opinion of "a Democrat, lol" and the longer the Republicans can't elect a speaker with their majority, the worse they look.

I'm not sure what funnier, that the Republicans can't get their poo poo together because of a few creatures of chaos, or that by the numbers, the Democrats have "won" every vote.