Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, he opened a can of whoop-rear end upon himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Grognan posted:

lmao, he opened a can of whoop-rear end upon himself.

He hosed up bad

I would expect that if genestealers ever get added the standard enemies would be genestealer cultists (pretty similar to the scabs and dregs) while purestrains or whathaveyou would be elites

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It would be fun if they switched the approach for elites up a bit and made it so purestrains always spawned in packs of 3 or 4.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah there's a lot of cool elite options for Genestealers, you could have Kelermorphs as less long ranged and deadly snipers but they jump about between shots, Clamavus, Biophagus and Icon Bearers could super buff the basic goons around them in different ways, Abominants would be big scary monster fights or they could buff Abberants who would be like Ogryn, you can have Sanctus in sniper and stabby varieties, Locus agents and Purestrains would be the real deadly melee blenders. Characters like the Magus, Primus and Jackal Alphus could be the equivalent of the named bosses or show up as bigger deal elites.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It would be fun if they switched the approach for elites up a bit and made it so purestrains always spawned in packs of 3 or 4.

Bigger, nastier versions of hounds that spawn in packs would fit the genestealer MO pretty well, actually

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GSC would be a rad addition to Darktide:

Acolyte Hybrids could make up the bulk of the close combat horde.

Mixed with Neophyte Hybrids and Brood Brothers as the stand in for the various Dregs and Scabs and their elites.

Aberrants would behave like Ragers.

The Abominants fill in the role of the Bullgryns.

The Saboteur would act like the Bomber or Trapper.

The Sanctus would act like the Vermintide Gutter Runner.

Kellermorphs could be like a shooty Gutter Runner.

That's all before you mix in your Purestrain Genestealers.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cognac McCarthy posted:

That would punish people who run off by themselves so hard.

I love it.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Benagain posted:

minor gripe, when will they show the lore blurbs for weapons again? I miss those.

I miss em too, but https://darkmass.gg/weapons still has them for each weapon.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

theres a loooot of genestealer cults stuff now and tons of subvariants. heres a few interesting ones:

the kelermorph-

this is one of the main signs the tyranids are becoming more sophisticated in how they attack humanity. the kelermorph is a bioweapon monster designed to look like a 'regular' genestealer cultist, given insane gunslinging skills, and sent out to be an inspiring folk hero for revolutionaries on infiltrated worlds. the tyranids have grown to understand humanity well enough that they are growing purpose built clint eastwoods (wild west clint not crazy chair talking clint)

i imagine in darktide these guys would be good assassination mission bosses because of their human-ish size and boss-level abilities

abominant and mindwyrm-

a big mutated brute guided by a little mutated freak. these guys would be good rat-ogre-likes, or even a fun two part boss fight where you have to try and corner a little fast guy while dodging a big guy.

clamavus-

this guy yells a whole lot to buff his friends, i think that could be neat during horde encounters to have a guy just yelling a load of crazy poo poo at the back of the horde while you try to snipe him.

biophagus-

evil professor who infects people with tyranid DNA and buffs his own mutant pals. he also has a little salacious crumb guy who throws gas bombs i think. the interesting twist is that he is also a good melee fighters with a big polearm catchpole thing that injects you with mutagens. the biophagus could be a good packmaster/trapper equivalent with the catchpole, or he could be a good type of boss encounter where maybe players could get infected with tyranid DNA and take corruption but gain some kinda buff from it? idk. the lore also mentions the little guy infiltrating habs to infect the vents with mutagens, so in the background they could be responsible for like tyranid zombie plague for a horde enemy type too

jackals-

it would probably end up sucking for some reason but i had a vision of a mission set in the desert outside the hives where you are kinda dogged by dirtbike xenos every now and then. it could even be a cool way for specials to enter the play environment, like they dirtbike up to the edge of the area then jump off to get into cover

heres some less interesting units that are just 1:1 equivalents of stuff already in tide games, you can google the name if youre curious but they really are just the thing in the game but genestealer themed:
reductus saboteur - bomber
jackal alphus - sniper but on a motorbike
brood brothers - scab shooters
neophyte hybrids - elite scabs or dregs (gunners, flamers, shotgunners, ragers etc)
sanctus - gutter runner
abberants - crusher
hybrid metamorphs - big melee specials (like ragers and muties or even a plague ogryn type role)
acolyte hybrids - reapers and maulers

a lot of units on the tabletop can be given melee or ranged weapons so i ended up including an equivalent for both where applicable. i think the finer details of stuff like unit size, hp, exact role and characteristics would obviously be a bit different than the extant enemies but i think i got close enough.

the genestealer cults have a big focus on kinda 'working class' weapons like power tools and mining vehicles, which would be a good excuse to give the players some crazier weapons and also give the genestealers a bigger distinction than just being 'more mutant guys with guns'.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Nurgle is my scrimblo bimblo just a real lovable scrunko.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Purestrain could work like plague rats in V2; shot to pieces at range but ignoring the standard melee rules in a way that can throw you off in melee.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, this game makes me long for a good 40k action game where you're playing as anyone but the Imperium and spend the game tearing apart the space Nazis and their enormous catalogue of troops and war machines.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Really hating that I can't pick maps or see which mission types I still need to do as I trudge through the Heresy penances.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, this game makes me long for a good 40k action game where you're playing as anyone but the Imperium and spend the game tearing apart the space Nazis and their enormous catalogue of troops and war machines.

Give me a 4 player coop game where you all play as Kommandos on Armageddon

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cythereal posted:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/warhammer_40000_fire_warrior

(YMMV re "good")

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I meant a new one.

The Tyranid campaign in Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 is amazing. One of your early story missions is eating Medusa, homeworld of the Iron Hands. And you do. Not long after that, you eat the Ynnari, including Yvraine and the Visarch. And on and on it goes until the Tyranids invade the Eye of Terror in earnest and eat Abbadon, then go to Cadia to turn Papa Smurf into biomass in the campaign finale.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 5, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

S.J. posted:

Give me a 4 player coop game where you all play as Kommandos on Armageddon

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, I know it's not the best gun in the world, but okay I'll try it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Props to the dude who solo'd the boss with his Power Sword on Heresy after the rest of us went down.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cythereal posted:

A sequel where you play as Orks fighting the imperium makes so much sense I'd be shocked if they aren't already considering it. It would be very, very easy to get the humor in there, and they're varied enough that there are plenty of weapons to play with

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'd play the poo poo out of WAAAAAGHtide.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

A sequel where you play as Orks fighting the imperium makes so much sense I'd be shocked if they aren't already considering it. It would be very, very easy to get the humor in there, and they're varied enough that there are plenty of weapons to play with

Shootas, Blood & Teef is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLVvjtxk6o

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

It's also a platformer. I think they want something like four orks with A Lot Of Dakka taking on the Imperium's version of the Darktide.

That said, a high-enemy-count boomshoot might also work.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the experience of a 4 ogryn squad proves that an ork kommando squad could be both very fun and very funny.

also ork kommandos fit the actual playstyle of darktide games better. just 4 assholes with a gun and a melee weapon each rambling through a place scrounging stuff with no real plan beyond violence.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the experience of a 4 ogryn squad proves that an ork kommando squad could be both very fun and very funny.

also ork kommandos fit the actual playstyle of darktide games better. just 4 assholes with a gun and a melee weapon each rambling through a place scrounging stuff with no real plan beyond violence.

Violence is the plan :colbert:

Plus we could finally stop talking about whether or not marines are an appropriate boss. Orks can definitely kill marines. We'z got taktiks

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/103fj54/the_way_warp_charges_and_brain_burst_work_should/

This is a really elegant rework for BB and im surprised thats not how it works right now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

S.J. posted:

Violence is the plan :colbert:

Plus we could finally stop talking about whether or not marines are an appropriate boss. Orks can definitely kill marines. We'z got taktiks

One of the Horus Heresy books I read before I stopped following that series had a normal, if Chaos-corrupted, human kill a Custodes with a wooden spear. :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cythereal posted:

One of the Horus Heresy books I read before I stopped following that series had a normal, if Chaos-corrupted, human kill a Custodes with a wooden spear. :v:

sounds like a hacker imo

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i just noticed one of these guys is using the rashad combat axe thats in darktide

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

i just noticed one of these guys is using the rashad combat axe thats in darktide

I would not be surprised if literally all the weapons are sourced from 40k models.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And one of them has a kickback lmao

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Darktide could use a double-barrel boomstick.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Darktide could use a double-barrel boomstick.

This is the only weapon I would respect Veterans for using

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Jerkface posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/103fj54/the_way_warp_charges_and_brain_burst_work_should/

This is a really elegant rework for BB and im surprised thats not how it works right now

They could also make psychic communion a passive ability, and have warp charges stored permanently like grenades. Then change BB damage so that it scales based on the amount of time you spend charging it, just like the staves.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i have a real pet peeve in this game and its a piece of sound design so shockingly bad compared to every other choice in the game: the shotgun racking sounds

they are so audibly captured from a nerf gun, you can hear that hollow plastic on plastic clacking. it makes the thing feel like a toy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I disagree but a piece of shotgun-related sound design failure I do know is that shotgunners absolutely need a tell that they're about to loving ventilate you, considering how dangerous they are

Seriously, it's loving Doom hours out there, just getting pasted by a monster closet shotgunner I don't hear

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

yeah as a zealot its the shotgunner elites that gently caress me up the most

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jerkface posted:

it's alright i guess but really just making brain burst a percentage based damage ability regardless of difficulty, while not solving more extensive structural problems with the psyker, at least only requires shuffling some numbers around on fatshark's part.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Has anyone found a way to replace the game music files with something else so I can just have the Doom soundtracks? Or anything else for variety. The same 4-5 memorable setpiece tracks over and over is getting stale.

I finally started just trying everything I could buy on zealot and immediately fell in love with (1) eviscerator backed up by a teammate with a flamer, and (2) fighting the hordes of chaos with a knife. There are so many synergies between the different weapons; I wish we could pick bots' weapons to experiment with specific team comps. But the AI's probably unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, I know it's not the best gun in the world, but okay I'll try it.

I guess the emperor loves me today, because after trying out this for a round or two, I got the gun that upgraded to this -