Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saturday, Christmas Eve, buckle in because it's time for a Coupons & Deals holiday "favorite": The Night they Saved Christmas!

This abomination features Art Carney Santasplaining oil and gas extraction, and Jaclyn Smith staring blankly into the arctic abyss that is her life, and a robot for some reason: If you haven't seen it before you're in for... well I wouldn't call it a treat. Think of it as... a terrible TV movie from the 80's. That's as good as it gets here, sorry.

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies happy holidays!

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

The Christmas day marathon has begun, I hope you're all having a lovely holiday!

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I watched the Sonny and Cher Christmas special today. Wow, they did not mind airing their personal affairs in public.

teen witch

Buttchocks posted:

I watched the Sonny and Cher Christmas special today. Wow, they did not mind airing their personal affairs in public.

look, you’re missing the forest for the trees

Just like Sonny

BoldFrankensteinMir

The second Sonny and Cher special featuring Bob Keeshan as The Captain is pretty amazing just for that. We should have a Captain Kangaroo month some time.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Happy holidays friends! This little stretch between Christmas and New Year's is one of my favorite times of the year, when nothing gets accomplished and you eat leftovers that are better than your meals the rest of the year are fresh. Oh and you watch movies. Just random, stupid movies.

As our lovely month of holiday specials draws to a close let's embrace this season of yummy leftovers and watch two more silly TV Christmas specials tonight: First, we complete our Henson Xmas sweep with the 1977 classic, Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas!

Followed by Alf's Special Christmas, from 1987!

And! Shorts, commercials, my goofy santa things, coupon crab dances, it's everything we got left in the holiday decorations box and I've been having punch since breakfast!

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies at 4pm PST 7pm EST see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

I just noticed it's modernly titled "Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas" which is dumb as hell.

Sig by Heather Papps

sb hermit

The Santa what does the commercials is perfect casting, by the way :discourse:

sb hermit

(despite the name of the smiley, I am making my comment in complete sincerity)

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I just noticed it's modernly titled "Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas" which is dumb as hell.

Coupons & Deals Movie Night's Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas Holiday Special

sb hermit posted:

The Santa what does the commercials is perfect casting, by the way :discourse:

:eyepop: Woah, for a minute I didn't recognize you without your two hats.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

sb hermit

Saoshyant posted:

:eyepop: Woah, for a minute I didn't recognize you without your two hats.

:ninja:

teen witch
as we’re in the unknown reach of time between Xmas and NYE, with permission from HP & BFM…I’m going to show a movie today!

1991’s Stone Cold, starring former NFL player Brian “The Boz” Bosworth, as an action hero. This film is off the rails wild, non loving stop. 90s action flick for good and for real fuckin bad, but the first time I saw it I was nonstop hooting and hollering. Plus Lance Henriksen!

room opens up at 6:30 PM EST/3:30 PM Whatever the west coast’s time zone is/00:30 AM for moi, and we start at the top of the hour. Chance of Polka Party Preshow: small, but noticeable.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh no, The Boz is back!

And this is five years before Virus, ugh. It's very difficult to think of his turn in that as a seasoned performance, but here we are.

Sig by Heather Papps

teen witch
and we’re off, starting with a hideously out of sync episode of The Paul Lynde Show, a show that apparently exists and he’s just angry? like grinning and mad?

Prof. Crocodile

Can't believe I missed Stone Cold. I celebrate Bosworth's entire oeuvre--his bozouevre, as it were.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight's gonna be a big heap of mismatched leftovers friends, come on by same usual time and place and we'll watch whatever the heck we want!

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

Happy new year, movie niters!

We still haven't heard what will be January's theme, is it time for Czech "New Wave"?? Something else?? Don't leave us hanging!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Is there Czech Old Wave? Maybe we could do old vs new?

BoldFrankensteinMir

January this year is gonna be Steam Power month! And tonight's film will be a very interesting 2018 student (I think?) feature called Atrophy:

Plus, all month we're gonna watch a series of shorts from the BBC before the movies, and learn all about perhaps the last of the great Victorian steam-men, legendary steeplejack Fred Dibnah.

Join us for steam month, it'll be a blast! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies at 4pm PST 7pm EST

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

This year I am trying, oh man am I trying, to not be too critical about entertainment and give things more of a chance. But it's tough already.

Like, these film students clearly put a ton of work into this, they made a feature and that's terrific, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

I also can't stop staring at their kerning errors, ugh. It's gonna be a long year.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

there are no kerning errors, only happy little accidents

ty nesamdoom!

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I love Fred Dibnah!

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

BoldFrankensteinMir

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I love Fred Dibnah!

Me too! I only learned about him this last fall while youtubing with a friend but I immediately knew he was perfect for us. And of course HP was already in the know way before me.

Sig by Heather Papps

teen witch

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

This year I am trying, oh man am I trying, to not be too critical about entertainment and give things more of a chance. But it's tough already.

Like, these film students clearly put a ton of work into this, they made a feature and that's terrific, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

I also can't stop staring at their kerning errors, ugh. It's gonna be a long year.

how dare you point this out my night is ruined

BoldFrankensteinMir

Wow what a heap of bad decisions that movie was, pee-eww!

More proof that a bad script is usually terminal, or, as Betty White famously put her advice to young actors: "find good scripts. If it's not on the page there's nothing we can do about it".

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Edit- Correction! We watched a different film, War of the Worlds: Goliath-

And despite Kevin Eastman's involvement it was utterly terrible and hilariously overblown. I'm starting to wonder if we're gonna get to any actual good free steampunk movies this month...

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 8, 2023

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight, we continue our trend of steam(ing-pile-of-poop)-powered movies with 2013's "Gentlemen Explorers"!

No clue about this one, but come on now, we've all figured out by this point that steam powered modern feature films are just terrible, right? I really want it to not be universally true but, well, all we can do is hope I guess. Futile, futile hope.

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I'm a gentleman explorer. I explore gentlemen.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm sad that i missed this, especially as the gentleman in the poster is clearly weilding a Nerf Maverick

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
"Ahead of their time, and out of their league" refers to the film crew not having enough usable footage to fill the time allotted on their first attempt, and not knowing how to make a movie.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Viginti Septem posted:

"Ahead of their time, and out of their league" refers to the film crew not having enough usable footage to fill the time allotted on their first attempt, and not knowing how to make a movie.

:hmmyes:

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
As a first-year college student who is a week away from starting their first semester of film studies, I basically know everything about movies. :smuggo:

Saoshyant

I respect the hell out of that movie. It's the first serious movie for a tiny small crew and clearly a passion project. A complete mess, of course, but not more so than most B-movies. The worst part is that it's honestly boring. There's a lot of boring moments in it where either nothing happens, some attempt at humor is tried, or there's some attempt at giving a character more depth -- and all of these are rather badly written and not in an entertaining way.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 12, 2023

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saoshyant posted:

I respect the hell out of that movie. It's the first serious movie for a tiny small crew and clearly a passion project. A complete mess, of course, but not more so than most B-movies. The worst part is that it's honestly boring. There's a lot of boring moments in it where either nothing happens, some attempt at humor is tried, or there's some attempt at giving a character more depth -- and all of these are rather badly written and not in an entertaining way.

Yeah. The engagement problem is especially galling because it's not just about the in front of the camera stuff, it's a great deal about the bad editing and especially the bad sound editing. I guarantee a good editor and sound designer taking a pass at the same footage would have created a far more watchable film. It's really heart-breaking that so much went into this and then those last-mile problems knocked it even further down.

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

the late in film realization that at least one actor refused to be in the finished product, explaining both the atrocious green screen stuff and also, top hat magicians rapidly alternating between real and artificial facial hair kind of made the whole thing worth it.

also, i have not confirmed this but i have a strong feeling the doctor who showed up halfway with the knock out gun and basically a steam grenade was a significant backer financially.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

and yes having the steam pistols have black spraypainted waterbottles might be kind of clever, given that it's, you know, steam, but still - gently caress off you dorks use something for props that isn't so obvious.

it wasn't a clever thing on their part, i'm sure of it.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Dang! I had a really terrible movie picked out for y'all tonight but it turns out to have tons of region restrictions. Does anybody know the guy who maintains cytube? Why did it stop being great at picking out restrictions all a sudden so I have to go to another service now??

Oh well, I'll find something else. Too bad because The Steam Engines of Oz looks absolutely loving atrocious. It even has Shatner!!!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

this one is gonna be bad. i can feel it in my bones, not that it takes a skeleton movie detective to look at a film titled

and say "this is gonna be bad"

according to at least one angry review this film features none of the things promised in the title. should be fun!

Heather Papps

hello friend

"what's it all add up to, in the end, a pirates life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

Teleports in Truck. The End. No Moral.

A Steampunk Samurai Biker Chick no more.