Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's a good thing I didn't call it that, what I said was what I liked about FROM's games is their build variety and ability to mitigate difficulties using a variety of options. I beat all of the King's Field games too and they don't do the bullshit Sekiro does.

oh that's odd, because what you should've said is what you like about souls games is their build variety and ability to mitigate difficulty using a variety of options. since sekiro is not a souls game, it doesn't have those things, even though it is a FROM game. maybe don't pick up armored core when it comes out if that's what you're expecting, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Fuligin posted:

ds3 has some v attractive areas (irithyll! Dragon monastery place!) but the palette is so muted and dull a lot of the time

Which is sensible, given the ash-and-dust, "heat-death of the universe" motif, but I agree. DS2 pops.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OzFactor posted:

So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

they're not even the same canon, you can do them in either order
as i understand it, 2016 plays more like a classic doom game (i haven't tried that one) while doom eternal plays more like a 'puzzle shooter' where the game wants you to constantly be switching between different weapons and abilities to hit weaknesses on different enemies (this one wants you to shoot a grenade in its mouth, this one wants you to use the rifle to shoot off its gun arm, etc), plus really low max ammo but you gain ammo fast from drops and chainsawing enemies so you're constantly swapping weapons as your ammo counts pingpong up and down

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

OzFactor posted:

So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

It's no biggie.

DoomE plays a bit different than Doom2016, and the story matters so very little. Have fun just going in and murdering a bajillion demons.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

OzFactor posted:

You're going to be completely lost and not know whether to shoot a demon or hug it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

RandomBlue posted:

You're going to be completely lost and not know whether to shoot a demon or hug it.

A little pat on the head

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

oh that's odd, because what you should've said is what you like about souls games is their build variety and ability to mitigate difficulty using a variety of options. since sekiro is not a souls game, it doesn't have those things, even though it is a FROM game. maybe don't pick up armored core when it comes out if that's what you're expecting, either.

How strange, since I've beaten the original Armored Core on the PS1 multiple times and Armored Core 3 and 4 as well, and since it's an action game with mech simulation aspects, changing builds is absolutely necessary and can be used to mitigate difficulty in every single one of those games. I've also beaten all of the King's Fields games. I even beat Cookie and Cream, the Dark Souls of It Takes Two clones.

Like do not cite the deep magic to me, I was there when it was written. FROM intentionally made a game that had none of the things that justified their infamous difficulty and nothing would be lost if Sekiro was easier.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not saying sekiro would lose something if it were easier i'm saying you're mad at devil may cry because it doesn't play like zelda because they both have swords

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not saying sekiro would lose something if it were easier i'm saying you're mad at devil may cry because it doesn't play like zelda because they both have swords

Yeah, I didn't play it because it wasn't a Souls game and the kind of game it actually was wasn't appealing to me

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cowcaster posted:

sekiro's not a souls game.

Dunno, it has a poison swamp

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kazil posted:

Dunno, it has a poison swamp

I wonder how many youtube videos are looking at that one level in AC1 and then pointing at Blighttown

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, I didn't play it because it wasn't a Souls game and the kind of game it actually was wasn't appealing to me

i love them both myself

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cowcaster posted:

This analogy is stupid as hell

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they're not even the same canon, you can do them in either order

Yes they are? Doom 64 is inferred to lead into Doom 2016, which very directly leads into Doom Eternal, there's just some timeskipping involved between each of them and Eternal has a lot of flashbacks that make the linear sequence of events even more confusing.

That said, yeah 2016 and Eternal are two surprisingly different games. The first is a nice compromise between classic and modern FPS sensibilities, the second is "okay, that again but twenty mechanics to keep track of at all times while zipping around at an even higher difficulty level". It also has the Marauders, and I know it's one of those things that people get memed on to just git gud, but I maintain, abjectly and absolutely, gently caress the Marauders. I can deal with everything else Eternal throws at me but they genuinely drag down the whole experience. Non-boss Doom enemies should not spend 98% of their time alive in an invulnerability phase. Period.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not saying sekiro would lose something if it were easier i'm saying you're mad at devil may cry because it doesn't play like zelda

Devil May Cry has difficulty settings and Zelda does not.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It also has the Marauders, and I know it's one of those things that people get memed on to just git gud, but I maintain, abjectly and absolutely, gently caress the Marauders. I can deal with everything else Eternal throws at me but they genuinely drag down the whole experience. Non-boss Doom enemies should not spend 98% of their time alive in an invulnerability phase. Period.

I can pop the marauders in seconds these days and I 100% agree, gently caress the Marauders. It's such a weird bit of mud in my eye there. "Oh, so you like shooting people, dodging projectiles, etc? How about an enemy you have to parry?"

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 4, 2023

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Marauders rule. Just shoot them until they're dead

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I've played & enjoyed all the Souls games, including Sekiro.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Cowcaster posted:

you're reaching elon fanboy levels of caping here. miyazaki san doesn't need you to defend his games from criticism

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

AfricanBootyShine posted:

you're reaching elon fanboy levels of caping here. miyazaki san doesn't need you to defend his games from criticism

the gently caress are you talking about

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nah, he reached that when he pulled out the "And don't even THINK about playing Armored Core if you don't like this other game, kid!" That is a post you can smell, and it's leather trenchcoats soaked with sweat since it's the middle of June.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Sekiro was my least favorite souls game, but it was still really good, I was just too bad at it to try and finish it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lmao I bought a Steam Deck during the Christmas event and it gave me 48 trading cards for it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Devil May Cry has difficulty settings and Zelda does not.
right, because they are two different games. sekiro not having the stuff souls games have would absolutely make it a very lovely souls game indeed. but by the same token, all the souls games not allowing you to deflect every single melee attack would make them a very lovely sekiro.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

right, because they are two different games.

yes. therefore it should have a difficulty slider

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nah, he reached that when he pulled out the "And don't even THINK about playing Armored Core if you don't like this other game, kid!" That is a post you can smell, and it's leather trenchcoats soaked with sweat since it's the middle of June.

man i must've really hit a loving nerve if people are getting this defensive over me saying "hey sorry your expectations for this game was something it's not"

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If Sekiro's not a Souls game why does it have annoying dog enemies and a big bird

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Marauders rule. Just shoot them until they're dead

Shogun - Railgun - Shotgun - Railgun - Glory Kill

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

man i must've really hit a loving nerve if people are getting this defensive over me saying "hey sorry your expectations for this game was something it's not"

You didn't say that, you said "Sekiro is not a Souls game", so its pretty telling you can't even stand by the inane bullshit you responded to me with.

"Am I so out of touch?"
"No, it's the thread that is wrong."

You literally ignore every point people make.

I say, "This is very difficult, like all FROM games, but includes none of the mechanics that justify that level of challenge."

You say, "Heh, don't play Armored Core, which is also very hard and includes all of the mechanics to justify that level of challenge, and even includes narrative stuff if you keep failing missions."

I say, "I do. All of their games feature these mechanics, even their first, King's Field 1."

Where's your answer on that? None, because it annihilates your argument. You pivot to saying I'm mad because DMC doesn't play like Zelda, but DMC includes difficulty modes so someone who hasn't ever played one can enjoy the story and game on an easier difficulty, which Sekiro does not offer, and even punishes you for.

I'm just going to keep repeating this criticism because you are literally incapable of engaging with it like an actual thinking human being - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice(2019) could benefit from an easier difficulty setting, because many aspects of it are quite similar to other From Software games while having none of the mechanics Every Single Other From Software Game players can use to mitigate difficulty(summons, grinding, a massive variety in build possibilities, usually over a hundred weapon choices).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OzFactor posted:

If you play Eternal first it'll make 2016 look like crap, which it isn't on its own.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"Am I so out of touch?"

I say, "This is very difficult, like all FROM games, but includes none of the mechanics that justify that level of challenge."

You say, "Heh, don't play Armored Core, which is also very hard and includes all of the mechanics to justify that level of challenge, and even includes narrative stuff if you keep failing missions."

I say, "I do. All of their games feature these mechanics, even their first, King's Field 1."

Where's your answer on that? None, because it annihilates your argument. You pivot to saying I'm mad because DMC doesn't play like Zelda, but DMC includes difficulty modes so someone who hasn't ever played one can enjoy the story and game on an easier difficulty, which Sekiro does not offer, and even punishes you for.

I'm just going to keep repeating this criticism because you are literally incapable of engaging with it like an actual thinking human being - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice(2019) could benefit from an easier difficulty setting, because many aspects of it are quite similar to other From Software games while having none of the mechanics Every Single Other From Software Game players can use to mitigate difficulty(summons, grinding, a massive variety in build possibilities, usually over a hundred weapon choices).

you do, in fact, sound mad

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I was hoping posters getting ultra-butthurt when their favourite game faces any sort of criticism would be something we'd leave in 2022, but lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

then I feel like Sekiro could probably have just gone ahead and included an easy mode or whatever, since it seems like the game is making a point of actively punishing me for dying. This dragonrot stuff is kind of bullshit. I dunno, I like Dark Soul's difficulty because it needs to account for a huge amount of differently styles of play, but Sekiro, as far as I can tell is just katanas and parries, and there's no real reason to make the game harder and punish you more for dying if there's zero way to mitigate it. I could be wrong as I'm pretty early on, but christ.

get better at the game

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How strange, since I've beaten the original Armored Core on the PS1 multiple times and Armored Core 3 and 4 as well, and since it's an action game with mech simulation aspects, changing builds is absolutely necessary and can be used to mitigate difficulty in every single one of those games. I've also beaten all of the King's Fields games. I even beat Cookie and Cream, the Dark Souls of It Takes Two clones.

Like do not cite the deep magic to me, I was there when it was written. FROM intentionally made a game that had none of the things that justified their infamous difficulty and nothing would be lost if Sekiro was easier.

it doesnt need to be easier. you need to be better at it or stop this monumentual tier of cope and simply give up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"Am I so out of touch?"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cowcaster is right

it's not a souls game

not sure what the confusion is all about

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Eternal plays like a very different game compared to 2016. Some people even think than 2016 is a better game but those people are wrong.

but also

Mordja posted:

If you play Eternal first it'll make 2016 look like crap, which it isn't on its own.
this is super true.
If you have the time, 2016 is definitely worth playing. It's not like it's a long game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You didn't say that, you said "Sekiro is not a Souls game", so its pretty telling you can't even stand by the inane bullshit you responded to me with.

"Am I so out of touch?"

have you considered getting good

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

just to add, Armored Core (1, at least) also has an inverse of dragonrot where the more you game over the easier the game becomes, I personally prefer Sekiro to the Souls games because the build diversity without free respecs just makes it a bit grindy to me and it's unclear when you need that grind or when you just need to "git gud", but Armored Core actually does all of these things perfectly from the very first entry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
also sekiro does have difficulty modes. you are already playing on easy lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

Shogun - Railgun - Shotgun - Railgun - Glory Kill

Or shotgun - Redeemer
Or grenade - BFG
Or railgun - minigun

Or anything! Hell you can kill them with splash damage from rockets or the single shotgun

They're exceedingly easy to kill, people just panic under pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I was hoping posters getting ultra-butthurt when their favourite game faces any sort of criticism would be something we'd leave in 2022, but lol

how am i the butthurt one here