Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
they just need to introduce keywords like with Hearthstone, so Professor X can get one called "Lockdown" or something and then they can also add it to Miniaturized Lab and whatever else has that effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Zodack posted:

If they did that, they'd have to explain Prof X's "... etc. " and they live in fear of that decision

Hammerhead: 4 energy 3 power
Cards in hand can't be discarded, have their power reduced... and so on.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zodack posted:

If they did that, they'd have to explain Prof X's "... etc. " and they live in fear of that decision

can't have bugs if you never state the rules clearly

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sandwolf posted:

I got 3000 when I hit...500? or something like that? which is enough for 3x Series 3 cards, which, imo, is where you should be focusing at first. I bought Doctor Doom, Patriot, and now Leader, all pretty reasonably good cards, so I'm content with that. Would have also taken Mystique, Sera, and maybe Wong.

I'm also currently stopped at CL590 though, so, I might have slightly different goals atm.

i was under the impression that was a one-time boon when they implemented the token shop and wasn't a thing that newer players got, but i could be wrong

i'd say use the tokens on cards that either are generically good (like sera) or open up archetypes on their own (like patriot). leader's also a good choice but i think out of all the cards currently in the game he's the most likely to eventually be reworked entirely (and i also just don't really enjoy his play pattern IMO)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I have a lot of issues with Snap's verbiage, but the Cost thing I think is fairly consistent.

Cards cost what they cost. If they're discounted in your hand, they cost the displayed number. When you play them, their energy cost reverts to their regular, non discounted cost. They are then a "X-cost" card, whatever number X equals. A card does not keep it's discounted status on the board and the game communicates that to you.

So if Sera discounts Bucky Barnes to 1, he is a 1 cost card. You can't play him on a zone that prohibits that. Once you play him, he's no longer discounted. The game shows he costs 2, and he cannot be killed by Killmonger.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I have a lot of issues with Snap's verbiage, but the Cost thing I think is fairly consistent.

Cards cost what they cost. If they're discounted in your hand, they cost the displayed number. When you play them, their energy cost reverts to their regular, non discounted cost. They are then a "X-cost" card, whatever number X equals. A card does not keep it's discounted status on the board and the game communicates that to you.

So if Sera discounts Bucky Barnes to 1, he is a 1 cost card. You can't play him on a zone that prohibits that. Once you play him, he's no longer discounted. The game shows he costs 2, and he cannot be killed by Killmonger.

Bucky is still a 2-cost card, but he is a "card that costs 1".

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tender Bender posted:

Honestly guy you just explained this better than Snap ever could or would.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Didn't screenshot it unfortunately, but I played a second Mysterio from hand (using cloning vats) and he didn't play any illusions, just himself. No location effects/Cosmo etc. Have others run into this?

Edit: just realized, I must have played the original not on the vats, and then played the illusion next turn.

Vulpes fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 4, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Bucky is still a 2-cost card, but he is a "card that costs 1".

Once he's on the board he returns to 2 cost though (I just checked, although you have to actually click on the card to see the Energy cost because the game removes it from the front of the card once it's played :v: )

Sandwolf posted:

Honestly guy you just explained this better than Snap ever could or would.

Thank you, I spent a lot of time being irritated at various inconsistencies in this game, haha

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's really consistent, I think people are just stuck on the terminology. If card costs were referred to as "base cost" and "current cost" or something, I don't think anyone would have any issue with it.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Once he's on the board he returns to 2 cost though (I just checked, although you have to actually click on the card to see the Energy cost because the game removes it from the front of the card once it's played :v: )

No, I mean I agree completely with your explanation of the concept but I think the terminology is reversed.

Before Elysium procs:
Bucky is a 2-cost card "that costs 2"

After Elysium procs:
Bucky is a 2-cost card "that costs 1"

After Bucky is played:
Bucky is once again a 2-cost card "that costs 2"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Vulpes posted:

Didn't screenshot it unfortunately, but I played a second Mysterio from hand (using cloning vats) and he didn't play any illusions, just himself. No location effects/Cosmo etc. Have others run into this?

Yes. I have encountered this and a few other things like it. Mysterio does a lot of edge case weird things with his clones which I assume is down to how they needed to hard code him to behave in the way he does.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Vulpes posted:

Edit: just realized, I must have played the original not on the vats, and then played the illusion next turn.

I think you actually played a "Mysterio?" since that's what lands on the board.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Studio posted:

I think you actually played a "Mysterio?" since that's what lands on the board.

Yeah, it didn't occur to me at the time that even the OG is considered to be an illusion until the game ends.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Arzaac posted:

It's really consistent, I think people are just stuck on the terminology. If card costs were referred to as "base cost" and "current cost" or something, I don't think anyone would have any issue with it.

Now if only they could make “destroyed” work consistently between Wolverine, Knull, and Yondu.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TengenNewsEditor posted:

No, I mean I agree completely with your explanation of the concept but I think the terminology is reversed.

Before Elysium procs:
Bucky is a 2-cost card "that costs 2"

After Elysium procs:
Bucky is a 2-cost card "that costs 1"

After Bucky is played:
Bucky is once again a 2-cost card "that costs 2"
If you beast bounce a hood then play him then pick him back up with Falcon he costs zero in hand. So what the card cost when played is persisted somewhere.

Side note I think having "2-cost" and "that cost 2" mean different things is bad and using a term like base cost or energy to distinguish them would be much better.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

"Originally Costed" is what I'd use

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

No Wave posted:

If you beast bounce a hood then play him then pick him back up with Falcon he costs zero in hand. So what the card cost when played is persisted somewhere.

That's what I thought too, I was trying to reconcile Tender's explanation with what I know, which is:

X-cost is permanent
"cards that cost X" means current cost

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I think a lot of people might still be playing Wave thinking it counters Zabu.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GarudaPrime posted:

Assuming the leaks are real, those changes look par for the course which is good I think. I like how they just turn the power dial for most nerf/buffs and only a bit.

Also find the Galactus commentary interesting, because it makes me think the best Galactus decks might have been the play him turn 6 ones all along. I've tried every flavor and variation of Galactus ramp, and there is no way its a high cube earner. Consistent climber yes, but slow as gently caress.

After reading this I tried to make a turn 6 Galactus deck. Not sure if it is any good but I did just pull off a miracle win that involved losing in Eternity Range, kicking over the Rock with Viper, which was then moved out of the way with a prepped Iron Fist, followed by Hazmat.

In between I also played a Wolverine and Green Goblin.

Won the location with 5 to 4.

8 cubes.

uXs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 4, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GarudaPrime posted:

Assuming the leaks are real, those changes look par for the course which is good I think. I like how they just turn the power dial for most nerf/buffs and only a bit.

Also find the Galactus commentary interesting, because it makes me think the best Galactus decks might have been the play him turn 6 ones all along. I've tried every flavor and variation of Galactus ramp, and there is no way its a high cube earner. Consistent climber yes, but slow as gently caress.
lol. Deny all you want but Galactus is the only card in the game's history that the devs have confirmed as an outlier cube earner (assuming those patch notes are real). I'm mentioning it because this was a controversial enough take to get me an avatar a week ago.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 4, 2023

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

JackDarko posted:

I think a lot of people might still be playing Wave thinking it counters Zabu.

This actually brings up an interesting question. If I have Zabu out and Wave, that turns all the cards to 2 cost for you right? Maybe T3 Zabu, T4 Hold, T5 Wongers and Wave, T5 Shuri in one lane to Black Panther on Wongers to Zola? Seems like a very dumb combo.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
I’ve been having okay luck with Shuri into Hobgoblin into Galactus. Extremely obvious and loses to Odin unless you place Hobgoblin perfectly but it also allows you to pivot with Chavez on turn 6 if you need to.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The surprise thing about Galactus that loses me cubes is seeing it coming and thinking "even with Death they can't outplay me, and what idiot is thirsty enough to also buy Knu-" and then I lose 4 cubes as they slam down +30 power on turn 6

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

doingitwrong posted:

Yes. I have encountered this and a few other things like it. Mysterio does a lot of edge case weird things with his clones which I assume is down to how they needed to hard code him to behave in the way he does.

Is that cause Mysterio the only card (that I know of) who creates other cards where the cards are actually PLAYED? As in, they trigger effects from Bishop, Angela, et all?

Cause other cards like Doom, Squirrel Girl, and Ultron all just say "add" or "create" (and why are THOSE different terminology?) not specifically "PLAY."

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Zodack posted:

The surprise thing about Galactus that loses me cubes is seeing it coming and thinking "even with Death they can't outplay me, and what idiot is thirsty enough to also buy Knu-" and then I lose 4 cubes as they slam down +30 power on turn 6

The way I figure it, anyone desperate enough to drop that much money on the game needs my 8 cubes more than I do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vulpes posted:

The way I figure it, anyone desperate enough to drop that much money on the game needs my 8 cubes more than I do.

Speaking of dropping money, I can't believe I'm seeing so many of those anime waifu avatars.

I mean, granted, I say this as both someone who does not care about anime anything, and ALSO does not really care about card variants, so I'm hardly one to judge. But still...$50?!

V V V I guess if one doesn't already HAVE Sera and is really desperate to try her out in decks, more power to them. There money (I hope, and not, like, kids stealing their parents cards or whatnot) V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 4, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of dropping money, I can't believe I'm seeing so many of those anime waifu avatars.

I mean, granted, I say this as both someone who does not care about anime anything, and ALSO does not really care about card variants, so I'm hardly one to judge. But still...$50?!

People with more money than sense paying $50 for Sera adds up, to me.

I just wish *I* had more money than sense.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if it helps it make sense, start tracking how much you play marvel snap (and other f2p games) compared to your general entertainment budget. if you have a decently large budget and you're also spending dozens of hours on the game it might make sense to get the bundle given that it's not just cosmetics. but, also, you might go 'well i don't play THAT much and i'm fine with the progression i'm doing' and stick to not paying for anything/only paying for the monthly pass

(i also just recommend making an entertainment budget in general in terms of knowing how much money you can justify spending on a treat for yourself, because that's important)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's kinda funny if you think about it that there are boosters and credits on the collection level path.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

DrBouvenstein posted:

V V V I guess if one doesn't already HAVE Sera and is really desperate to try her out in decks, more power to them. There money (I hope, and not, like, kids stealing their parents cards or whatnot) V V V

i've thought about it because i like the anime sera art and the credits aren't terribly unfavorable compared to buying the progression only

but i haven't because yeah $50, more than i want to drop at once on a f2p game. i also have a fortnite budget to think about! so judge away i guess

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

flatluigi posted:

if it helps it make sense, start tracking how much you play marvel snap (and other f2p games) compared to your general entertainment budget. if you have a decently large budget and you're also spending dozens of hours on the game it might make sense to get the bundle given that it's not just cosmetics. but, also, you might go 'well i don't play THAT much and i'm fine with the progression i'm doing' and stick to not paying for anything/only paying for the monthly pass

(i also just recommend making an entertainment budget in general in terms of knowing how much money you can justify spending on a treat for yourself, because that's important)

Yeah this is how I justify the season pass. Soon I'll have paid the price of a AAA game

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I’m not opposed to spending money on the game. It depends on my budget and what other games or movies I want this month. The Sera and Angela art do not look good to me, even as an anime enjoyer.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Love playing Leader in a half-empty lane, then the other person plays Carnage in that same lane, devouring Leader and whatever else I had there. I can't even get mad about that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks to whoever mentioned hiding Ebony Maw behind Invisible Woman. Opponent snapped for 8 cubes because he felt pretty confident about using Wave to drop Death and Dock Ock on the right lane for T6.

Unfortunately I had Ebony Maw and Dracula hiding, moving that lane from -1 to 26.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 4, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Funnier win would have been just passing to win the middle with Sunspot :v:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I enjoy playing very strange decks and I don't really care about climbing very much. I will swing like 20-30 ranks on a new deck and then get back up with my good deck if I feel like it.

I was thinking about some game concepts and linked a few together for a theme:

* If you don't have cards you can't play cards
* If your cards get weak or too expensive you can't play them
* If you don't have spots to put cards then you can't play them

So, I put together Rocks.

Antman
Iceman
Korg
Black Widow
Psylocke
Beast
Mojo
Scorpion
Ironheart
Lockjaw
Debrii
Rock Slide

Goal is to just clog the gently caress out of everything for them. I imagine it's really annoying to play against and hope people just leave instead of finishing the game. Even when they don't most of their cards or draws become useless.

So, the list again:

Antman - Almost every game fills up my side, if not both.

Iceman - Annoying,

Korg - Rocks.

Black Widow - Not a Rock but really annoying to not be able to draw. Makes them take up 1 of 4 spots on a lane.

Psylocke - Extra energy really helps with all of these cheap cards and Lockjaw.

Beast - Picks up all my annoying cards and possibly Lockjaw.

Mojo - 2 cost 8 power.

Scorpion - Annoying.

Ironheart - This deck is low power so the inclusion is obvious but sometimes I can get it to pop out of lockjaw twice in the same round when my deck is low.

Lockjaw - Good boy. Cycles so many annoying cheap cards in and out.

Debrii - Clogs up lanes with Rocks.

Rock Slide - Rocks.

I try to count how many cards I "ruin" and between the lost draws from widow or rocks and making them cost more or powered less I can usually ruin 6-8 cards in a match. I haven't quite figured it out yet but I'm getting there.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 20, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You could swap out Ant-Man for Yondu if you want to go the more annoying route

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Maybe Viper to send rocks over too after Debrii!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Someone else already showed a deck with it but I second the recommendation of Spider-Woman; +7 to your side & potentially -4 to theirs is pretty big, particularly if you're jamming up their side with 0-power rocks.
Decided to give it a go and got this on my first game:

Retreat at the start of 6 :v: