Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Pontificating rear end posted:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1610307938438053888?s=20

Painful to read this guy's pretentious prattle, he's not even good at sounding smart.

He would be if you were an idiot!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

pseudanonymous posted:

He’s a dumb persons idea of sounding smart.

I remember that Stephen Fry had that title once. Guess people just ended up being dumber.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

So whats the Ontario College of Psychologists *really* calling him out for, because this reads like the start of that "My conservative beliefs are being censored!" meme?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's hilarious that all you have to do as a prominent person to not look like a complete moron, is to admit that you have no expertise in a field and the questioner would be better served by asking someone else.

Graham Nortom was asked his opinion of the whole "trans thing" sic, and his response was, " I am a man off the telly, I have no experience or expertise, please talk to trans people to get actual information"
Like, all these fools have to do is admit they have no useful knowledge on a subject but they can't, they are genius polymaths who know everything about everything.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

ryde posted:

So whats the Ontario College of Psychologists *really* calling him out for, because this reads like the start of that "My conservative beliefs are being censored!" meme?

It's a bunch of bullshit and gaslighting, just like with Bill C-16 that he whined about back when he was a nobody.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ryde posted:

the complaint he posted mentions "posts to his social media" (no details) and his appearance on joe rogan last january. since he mentions his "crimes" include retweeting a politician, and on the podcast he discussed several prominent covid-conspiracists, i'm guessing he's getting slapped for talking mad poo poo on health things he doesn't know anything about while using his credentials as a badge of authority.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Pookah posted:

It's hilarious that all you have to do as a prominent person to not look like a complete moron, is to admit that you have no expertise in a field and the questioner would be better served by asking someone else.

It's kind of funny how often this applies to real life. People are deathly afraid of saying "I don't know" and coming off as ignorant, but it actually gives people positive impression of your intelligence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pookah posted:

Graham Nortom was asked his opinion of the whole "trans thing" sic, and his response was, " I am a man off the telly, I have no experience or expertise, please talk to trans people to get actual information"

And the psycho-nutters came after him for that, too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pookah posted:

Like, all these fools have to do is admit they have no useful knowledge on a subject but they can't, they are genius polymaths who know everything about everything.
That works for real intellectuals, but not for cult gurus. If Peterson doesn't have third eye insights into Life, the Universe, and Everything then he is just another shrink and his cult evaporates.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pookah posted:

Yeah that's a really good point. You don't HAVE to have an opinion on everything (although I try).

ryde posted:

It's kind of funny how often this applies to real life. People are deathly afraid of saying "I don't know" and coming off as ignorant, but it actually gives people positive impression of your intelligence.

This is true and something I need to do more often. Well at least in my head when I'm arguing with myself.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Woolie Wool posted:

That works for real intellectuals, but not for cult gurus. If Peterson doesn't have third eye insights into Life, the Universe, and Everything then he is just another shrink and his cult evaporates.

It's also why he never does discussions or debates with intellectuals in their own field. Instead he just does "lectures" because if there's no one who knows better, he can't be challenged on his baby's-first-principles style of reasoning.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Pontificating rear end posted:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1610307938438053888?s=20

Painful to read this guy's pretentious prattle, he's not even good at sounding smart.

doesnt having different pronounciations for the first letter of the words kinda ruin the point of alliteration

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

the complaint he posted mentions "posts to his social media" (no details) and his appearance on joe rogan last january. since he mentions his "crimes" include retweeting a politician, and on the podcast he discussed several prominent covid-conspiracists, i'm guessing he's getting slapped for talking mad poo poo on health things he doesn't know anything about while using his credentials as a badge of authority.

This is also at least the SECOND time he's been called out on this and he worked with them the previous instance. His head's too big and too far up his rear end now though.

I'm guessing it's due to the bunch of times he calls folks he disagrees with "mentally ill" on twitter.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You don't HAVE to have an opinion on everything (although I try).

I too try this, but it often results in fire and/or injury.

But at least I preface it with "I have no loving clue, but here's my dumbass guess. I take no responsibility for any consequences of this."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm guessing it's due to the bunch of times he calls folks he disagrees with "mentally ill" on twitter.
Maybe then it's about the time where he said everyone who replies to him with 'lul' was....what was it again, narcissistic nihilists? Because that's a mass diagnosis of like 2/3rds of twitter.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The manliest man that ever manned: UP YOURS WOKE MORALISTS *stuffs salty beef into face, cries* THE FEMININE CHAOS DRAGONS OF MARXIST HEGEMONY *throws glass of apple juice across the room* THEY ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE YOU SUCCUMB TO THE CENSORIOUS COMMISARS OF... of... *weeps uncontrollably*

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Butcher posted:

I too try this, but it often results in fire and/or injury.

But at least I preface it with "I have no loving clue, but here's my dumbass guess. I take no responsibility for any consequences of this."

Yeah I'll be the first to admit if I don't know about a subject or anything or if I'm just wrong. I hate being wrong so I try not to run my mouth about poo poo I don't know much about. I even do it here. Yeah anyone can do a wiki search but that's like reading the cliff notes to a book.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I still remember having my mind blown by my first workplace performance review and being told that I'm a natural authority because I am confident with poo poo I know, and willing to admit when I don't know something or am uncertain.

turns out it really is that easy and, after having it pointed out, equally easy to spot when someone is just a dunning-kruegered up bullshit artist

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

The manliest man that ever manned: UP YOURS WOKE MORALISTS *stuffs salty beef into face, cries* THE FEMININE CHAOS DRAGONS OF MARXIST HEGEMONY *throws glass of apple juice across the room* THEY ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE YOU SUCCUMB TO THE CENSORIOUS COMMISARS OF... of... *weeps uncontrollably*

Don't forget he decided for some reason to start dressing like a PUA date rape manual author from 2015.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

ELTON JOHN posted:

doesnt having different pronounciations for the first letter of the words kinda ruin the point of alliteration

yeah lol

he finds a way to fail the simplest things

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I'll be the first to admit if I don't know about a subject or anything or if I'm just wrong. I hate being wrong so I try not to run my mouth about poo poo I don't know much about. I even do it here. Yeah anyone can do a wiki search but that's like reading the cliff notes to a book.

Hell yeah. Best part is when you're talking to someone who knows more than you, and you say "I don't know, please explain", and then the next time it comes up you totally do know.
It's like you can entirely become that supe confident polymath so long as you understand your limitations and listen when smarter people are around. Which is why Jorp will never be that.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

my Korean friend approached me yesterday and asked me what I thought of jorp, so I gave hin the lowdown that jorp is a terrible poo poo who got put in a coma in Russia benzo abuse, hates LGBTQ people etc..

My friend was saying jorp is really popular in Korea and alot of guys see him as smart. Aside from alot of young men here having incel terrible altright views, and traditional influence of Confucious (who was jorpy himself as far as I know), I was thinking anytime jorp gets translated the translation has to come off as making more sense than he does in English. Kindof in a similar vein to how interpreters had trouble with Trump, and probably made him make more sense cause you just cant directly translate the garble these shitheads put out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renreeja posted:

my Korean friend approached me yesterday and asked me what I thought of jorp, so I gave hin the lowdown that jorp is a terrible poo poo who got put in a coma in Russia benzo abuse, hates LGBTQ people etc..

My friend was saying jorp is really popular in Korea and alot of guys see him as smart. Aside from alot of young men here having incel terrible altright views, and traditional influence of Confucious (who was jorpy himself as far as I know), I was thinking anytime jorp gets translated the translation has to come off as making more sense than he does in English. Kindof in a similar vein to how interpreters had trouble with Trump, and probably made him make more sense cause you just cant directly translate the garble these shitheads put out.

It helps that they remove all the pauses for crying about Disney movies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, look, it's two of the most desert-inducing chucklefucks on the planet, owning themselves publicly.

https://twitter.com/almcdermid/status/1610894109002330114?t=BYIVw-fGYcffRVRUoCnoJg&s=09

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Renreeja posted:

Korea's president won by directly catering to incels:

quote:

Yoon, from the People Power Party (PPP), won with 48.56% of the electorate, beating out Lee Jae-myung from incumbent Moon Jae-in’s Democratic Party, who garnered 47.83%. In what many call Korea’s “incel election”, Yoon cultivated a base of disaffected young men who blame growing competition from women for their economic stagnation—a strategy formulated by the young Harvard-educated PPP leader and “men’s rights” activist Lee Jun-seok.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/202...-incel-election

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, look, it's two of the most desert-inducing chucklefucks on the planet, owning themselves publicly.

https://twitter.com/almcdermid/status/1610894109002330114?t=BYIVw-fGYcffRVRUoCnoJg&s=09

Much as I like to pretend it's real it's an edit from when they did actually meet up and be pathetic together in a coffee shop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Much as I like to pretend it's real it's an edit from when they did actually meet up and be pathetic together in a coffee shop.

Ah, drat. Welp.

The thing with these idiots is that it's extremely hard to tell. They're pathetic-ness kills satire.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Renreeja posted:

It doesn't really matter if they are intelligible or not. A lot of conservative self help grifters, including the recently deleted Andrew Tate, provide a lot of perfunctory popular self help advice that make them look reasonable. Then they start mixing a lot of that self help advice with the more insane poo poo they actually want to push. People are willing to give their opinions a chance because their previous self help advice seemed reasonable and helpful so obviously this grifter can't be insane.

For people who already have an inclination towards misogyny and opposition to feminism like a good chunk of South Korean men appear to be, Jorp is the perfect doorkeeper that leads people down a staircase towards manosphere bullshit. 12 Rules to Life lead my brother to a pretty dark place right after his messy divorce, its actually pretty fortunate he met his new wife not soon after and that stopped him from seeking out additional "help".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jordan Peterson was also completely factually wrong about the original incident which made him a celebrity.

Not only that, this was pointed out to him but he ignored this in favour of bullshit hyperbolic statements about how he'd be thrown in jail or fined.

The obvious conclusion to the last part is that of course he felt free to say that because he knew nothing would happen. It doesn't take much bravery to say that you'll face any awful consequence if you know full well there won't be any consequences.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jeffreyw posted:

It doesn't really matter if they are intelligible or not. A lot of conservative self help grifters, including the recently deleted Andrew Tate, provide a lot of perfunctory popular self help advice that make them look reasonable. Then they start mixing a lot of that self help advice with the more insane poo poo they actually want to push. People are willing to give their opinions a chance because their previous self help advice seemed reasonable and helpful so obviously this grifter can't be insane.

It also helps that Tate makes a big show of looking rich and successful. Jorp on the other hand looks like he died back in Eastern Europe, and just cries all the loving time.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Tesseraction posted:

yeah it's a fake quote, Ben never said his wife tolerates sex with him

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ben shapino posted:

yeah it's a fake quote, Ben never said his wife tolerates sex with him

But he has two kids. He's even gotten paternity tests to prove they're his! (This is a reference to another fake Ben Shapiro tweet)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I finally watched the clip of Jorp's new suit, the baby blue one with the cream lapels. Not only is he wearing a tie with little Elon Musk faces but the inside liner of the jacket is decorated with quotes from twitter bad-mouthing his previous ridiculous attire.

How... how is it that this guy continues to so perfectly out-dork himself? It's like a gift every two weeks or so; you think there's no possible way for him to be more of a dweeb than in the last thing he said or did or wore, but he transcends it completely. There are other figures with a similar pattern, but Jorp is just astonishingly consistent at owning himself and thinking it's cool. He's like the Usain Bolt of insufferable nerds.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The opinions of people outside the right-wing griftosphere don't matter to him, reactionaries intentionally do things "the libs" find ridiculous to remind us that we don't matter to them and they don't have to treat us as human beings.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Started on part 2 of the latest Behind the Bastards with Robert and Cody talking about Peterson. I had no idea (or just forgot) that Peterson dropped all of his clinical patients like a hot potato the moment he got a taste of fame. The Ontario College of Psychologists can't come after him fast enough.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Tesseraction posted:

Here is the footage
https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1587943862743404544?s=20&t=0Z3bP5YB6enFUSMfWaOHqQ

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
To be fair, dropping his clinical clients was undoubtedly doing them a favor. It's hard to pick one worst thing about Jorp, but the one chapter of 12 Rules devoted entirely to calling one of his clients a drunk slut and waste of space because "how can you not know if you've been raped? get a grip girl" is definitely a contender.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm likely not alone in this, but I feel like the tide is definitely turning, wrt Jorp support in general.

Feels like a few years ago, you'd likely have otherwise normal thinking people buying into his bullshit, with only the ones who are really paying attention being critical of him. His problems wouldn't be quite so 'surface level'.

Now, he's clowned on himself SO much, it feels like the general public considers him a complete idiot.

Very glad for that :unsmith:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1610876509866307584?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

jeffreyw posted:

12 Rules to Life lead my brother to a pretty dark place right after his messy divorce, its actually pretty fortunate he met his new wife not soon after and that stopped him from seeking out additional "help".

Glad to hear your brother didnt get sucked in any further!

Kindof reminds me I met this old guy on a cheap acting gig last year, at first a really entertaining jokey guy, as the day wore on his countenance grew darker with a nervy edge. He told us all the sudden about how his girlfriend killed herself, which I consoled him and really felt bad for him.

After that though he had a big blowup and started ranting about vaccines, and revealed himself to be a jorper. Said he met another guy in youtube comments on a jorp video whos wife had killed herself and made friends, but now the guy has grown distant cause their friendship reminds him of what happened. I was horrified thinking of anybody with trauma like that going to jorp vids for help.

Also couldnt help but think what the guy and his terrible views played a role in her suicide. Of course as the day wore on and he got more comfortable he started telling more and more pervy misogynistic jokes.