Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ymgve posted:

The Menu is now out on HBO Max (not in my region though...), it's supposed to be good

It was my movie of the year. Just be careful, you'll be super hungry after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

The Menu is now out on HBO Max (not in my region though...), it's supposed to be good

It's just okay. Would have liked to see a version where Ralph Fiennes is the focal character rather than Anya Taylor-Joy—nothing against her or her performance—given he's the actual force driving the plot. It seems to think we need some neutral party to go on the voyage of learning to be disgusted by the rich patrons with us when we really don't.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Medullah posted:

It was my movie of the year. Just be careful, you'll be super hungry after

For one specific thing in particular.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ymgve posted:

Doin' a double feature tonight of The Menu and Bones and All :sickos:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I saw The Menu in a theater and it was good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I got apocalyptically high last night and streamed a triple feature: White Noise, followed by The Good Nurse, followed by 2014's Noah.

I am... not quite right today. And I don't know if I'll ever be right again. White Noise is a lot.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Holy poo poo The Menu was amazing. Right up there with Banshees as one of my favorite movies of the year. The Menu is getting overlooked though, right?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've never heard of it, so I'll be watching it tomorrow night.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
The Glory on Netflix is awesome if you're in the mood for some good ol' bully revenge (korean) drama.
It's 8 episodes with Part 2 coming in March. There are some rough bullying scenes mainly at the beginning but worth it for the weight it adds to the revenge plot.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Nihonniboku posted:

Holy poo poo The Menu was amazing. Right up there with Banshees as one of my favorite movies of the year. The Menu is getting overlooked though, right?

I thought it hit its targets so much better than Glass Onion.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rental Sting posted:

I really liked the Glass Onion, but it didn't even occur to me when it came to The Menu and Banshees

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I really liked the Glass Onion, but it didn't even occur to me when it came to The Menu and Banshees

The Menu + Banshees, mixed up in a cocktail shaker, then heavily diluted with gallons and gallons of the purest mountain spring water = Glass Onion

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder about the whisper part in The Menu - do you think the writers have what he said in the script or do they just say «he whispers something truly profound beyond even our imagination»?

My wild theory for what was said: «I put my piss, poo poo and spit in every single thing you ate tonight, and you loving loved it. It was the best tasting meal you’ve ever had in your life.»

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

ymgve posted:

I wonder about the whisper part in The Menu - do you think the writers have what he said in the script or do they just say «he whispers something truly profound beyond even our imagination»?

My wild theory for what was said: «I put my piss, poo poo and spit in every single thing you ate tonight, and you loving loved it. It was the best tasting meal you’ve ever had in your life.»

I don't think he would actually dislike that. Probably something more along the lines of You don't get to experience the final course because you are worthless

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, I loved The Menu. Finished it just now. I only saw a trailer for it a little while ago, so I was going in blind. It was so good. I was loving dying at the end, lmao. Gonna watch Bones and All now (I know what it's about :ohdear:)

Rental Sting posted:

Yeah, I agree. Didn't care much for Glass Onion. It was fine, but thought it felt too aware? I dunno how else to articulate my thoughts on that. The Menu is beautifully absurd and its satire is much more elegant.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Simplex posted:

I don't think he would actually dislike that. Probably something more along the lines of You don't get to experience the final course because you are worthless

I don't even think it's that complicated. Just saying the second part is all he'd need to say.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's just okay. Would have liked to see a version where Ralph Fiennes is the focal character rather than Anya Taylor-Joy—nothing against her or her performance—given he's the actual force driving the plot. It seems to think we need some neutral party to go on the voyage of learning to be disgusted by the rich patrons with us when we really don't.

Don't agree with this at all. Ralph Fiennes might be the main character but he is also the antagonist in a movie that is surrounded in mystery and I have no idea how it would have worked if it was focused around him. Having a neutral party be the viewer stand in was the right choice and Anya Taylor-Joy did a bang up job of it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Watched the Menu last night, loved it. A lot more of a dark comedy than I thought.

Also really random, Anya Taylor-Joy's character is from the random rear end town that I work in. Just weirded me out hearing it in a movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I used to be a chef, I've run three restaurants

The Menu was transcendental

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i spent a decade in service work so i get some themes from the menu but overall I did not feel it landed any of its targets. the finale was ludicrously delightful but didnt make up for the hour forty-five that felt like two and a half.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Speaking of Ralph Fiennes, Strange Days is also on HBO. I swear this movie hasn’t been available to stream ANYWHERE, free or to pay, in a very long time.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I loved The Menu and I don't think I'll ever get tired of
Nicholas Hoult as a wealthy narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

And yeah I don't think you need to have worked in restaurants to get the mood at all but it certainly adds to it.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 4, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

yoohoo posted:

Speaking of Ralph Fiennes, Strange Days is also on HBO. I swear this movie hasn’t been available to stream ANYWHERE, free or to pay, in a very long time.
Yeah definitely has been hard to find, good time for a rewatch. Haven't seen it since it dropped on home video.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

yoohoo posted:

I just found out they added it and came here to post this. I haven't seen it in years I wonder if it holds up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I loved The Menu and I don't think I'll ever get tired of
Nicholas Hoult as a wealthy narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

Watching it, I was thinking about how both he and Anya Taylor Joy have pretty convincing American accents, when so many British actors often struggle with the American rhotic R. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that they weren't trained in Shakespearean drama?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Nihonniboku posted:

Watching it, I was thinking about how both he and Anya Taylor Joy have pretty convincing American accents, when so many British actors often struggle with the American rhotic R. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that they weren't trained in Shakespearean drama?

There's definitely a standard British actor take at an American accent, that you hear in endless UK TV and radio dramas. I figure it must be taught somewhere it's so ubiquitous. Perhaps Joy and Fiennes missed it because they didn't do that low-end drama schooling?

On other matters, so enjoying Money Heist Korea. It's such an oddity, taking 80% of the script for Casa de Papel and making something that feels so different and in some ways better.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

I used to be a chef, I've run three restaurants

What did you think about The Bear?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nihonniboku posted:

ATJ's from Miami.

edit I guess by the same metric Mel Gibson's from New York and his American accent wasn't great for a long time so fair enough

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

ATJ's from Miami.

edit I guess by the same metric Mel Gibson's from New York and his American accent wasn't great for a long time so fair enough

She was only born in Miami but was raised in Argentina and England.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What did you think about The Bear?

Loved it!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pretty accurate then, or just had a sort of thematic truth about it?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Everyone always forgets about Waiting....

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I do have questions about The Menu because normally you would expect the movie to have some hints about what Nicholas Hoult's original date did to deserve to be there that evening. But I don't remember anything like that in the movie

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Don't agree with this at all. Ralph Fiennes might be the main character but he is also the antagonist in a movie that is surrounded in mystery and I have no idea how it would have worked if it was focused around him. Having a neutral party be the viewer stand in was the right choice and Anya Taylor-Joy did a bang up job of it.

What mystery? Do you mean that they were planning to kill everyone? That seemed obvious from the start.

Ralph Fiennes played the character who was actually trying to accomplish something. That's generally the more interesting character to follow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Pretty accurate then, or just had a sort of thematic truth about it?

not enough cocaine

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Simplex posted:

I do have questions about The Menu because normally you would expect the movie to have some hints about what Nicholas Hoult's original date did to deserve to be there that evening. But I don't remember anything like that in the movie

She was probably just completely fabricated and he was too much of a self absorbed idiot to line the story up straight with his "date" before he arrived.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

precision posted:

not enough cocaine

Or heavy drinking. Also weed smoking. And pills.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

She was probably just completely fabricated and he was too much of a self absorbed idiot to line the story up straight with his "date" before he arrived.

The restaurant folks tracked down evidence of the three dudes stealing money just to make some ominous tortillas. I don't think Nicholas Hoult is going to get an entirely fictitious guest past them.

Considering one woman was killed for having her parents be able to pay for Brown, anyone that dude was actually dating would have been likely to make the cut for execution.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

Or heavy drinking. Also weed smoking. And pills.

you don't have to have a drug habit to work in food service. we'll give you one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

you don't have to have a drug habit to work in food service. we'll give you one.

I hope you went on Cutthroat Kitchen, got in some good trash talk, and earned some bucks.