Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It should be noted that the House Sgt. at Arms and their people aren't getting paid until this is settled. They're probably not going to be enthusiastic about breaking up fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I wonder how many more days of this go on before the rank and file Republicans dump McCarthy and start looking for someone else?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I doubt this is going to last very long simply because everyone’s going to be forced to sit there all these days constantly doing these votes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

Technically there's nothing mandating the address has to be in the House Chambers, so Biden could just have everyone over to a barbecue on the Ellipse and deliver it there.

Also nothing saying it has to be annually though, nor a speech at all. You could do a email blast every couple years and that would still fulfill the consitutional requirement

True also reading Article II

quote:

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

i wonder if Biden could force them to convene if the House is not in order. Which he should just to do a SotU.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Hand Row posted:

I doubt this is going to last very long simply because everyone’s going to be forced to sit there all these days constantly doing these votes.

It's better than a retail job.

Then again, they're not getting paid.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Relevant Tangent posted:

It should be noted that the House Sgt. at Arms and their people aren't getting paid until this is settled. They're probably not going to be enthusiastic about breaking up fights.

Time to hand out the canes.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'll admit that when the GOP won the house and a lot of people were positing that the Speaker vote would be a shitshow, the cynic in me thought, "Nah, the Republicans will find a way to coalesce around a candidate because we can't have nice things."

Needless to say, I'm happy the cynical part of me was wrong.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gyges posted:

Time to hand out the canes.
:hmmorks:
:yeshaha:
:hmmorks:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Glumslinger posted:

So I wonder how many more days of this go on before the rank and file Republicans dump McCarthy and start looking for someone else?

The Sunday political talk shows trashing the House to the american billionaires that watch only those shows as appointment viewing would be the next obvious pain point, especially if they don't convene over the weekend.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

In terms of whose 'losing' this, I expect it'll be something like a government shutdown - the public will dislike whoever they blame for causing the shutdown, and they'll be surprisingly capable of figuring whose actually holding things up.

Currently, the HFC are the ones refusing to go along with McCarthy and won't commit to actual terms to elect him, but also won't outright just admit that they don't like the look of Kevin's face. But they're also incredibly insulated from public opinion, so I could absolutely see them holding out until the 23rd before it breaks through that the American Public is blaming them for this circus.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

In terms of whose 'losing' this, I expect it'll be something like a government shutdown - the public will dislike whoever they blame for causing the shutdown, and they'll be surprisingly capable of figuring whose actually holding things up.

Currently, the HFC are the ones refusing to go along with McCarthy and won't commit to actual terms to elect him, but also won't outright just admit that they don't like the look of Kevin's face. But they're also incredibly insulated from public opinion, so I could absolutely see them holding out until the 23rd before it breaks through that the American Public is blaming them for this circus.

the key is the HFC doesn't give a gently caress what the american public thinks.

they care only what the craziest 51% of republican primary voters think.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Whoaaa a 201-212-20-1 vote who could have seen THAT coming?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol all 3 votes today have been the exact same totals

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cr0y posted:

The Democrats should just turn this into a giant loving circus, wear silly costumes, eat pizza with their feet kicked up on the chairs, do bong rips, play beer pong in the aisles, have a karaoke station.

Any Republican that votes for Jeffries gets a ticket to the ice cream bar.

I would do it differently, and instead have them sit around with draft bills discussing them --- look serious to GOP's clowns.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1610747585270013954

lol doing it in primetime so everyone can watch the farce unfold is the dumbest thing they could do so naturally...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

lol all 3 votes today have been the exact same totals

better do it a couple more times just to be sure

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Any democratic congressman reading this, and I know you are, PLEASE do not let them adjourn. Please squeeze every drop of blood and tears out of McCarthy you can. Please.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Youremother posted:

Any democratic congressman reading this, and I know you are, PLEASE do not let them adjourn. Please squeeze every drop of blood and tears out of McCarthy you can. Please.

hey congressman, you don't have to vote for the guy you nominate right? nominate scalise.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd have called for the yays and nays and been summarily beaten to death in the aisle.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
You know what, give me full chaos mode - Speaker of the US House of Representatives John Bercow.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
We Constitutionally Need To Talk About Kevin

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Yeah the nays definitely had that but nobody wants to do a y/n vote

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And we're adjourned. Thanks a lot Goon Congressman <:mad:>

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/alexanderbolton/status/1610712127685246990

i don't believe anyone's asked for him. He just saw the poo poo flying and flew on a redeye from michigan to cold call the speakership.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Youremother posted:

And we're adjourned. Thanks a lot Goon Congressman <:mad:>

the only one who could be a goon is Frost but that would entail someone from Gen Z on this website.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Serious question why don't you use buttons? Just have everyone vote all at once and immediately show the result on a big screen.

Like this

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

jeebus bob posted:

Serious question why don't you use buttons? Just have everyone vote all at once and immediately show the result on a big screen.

Like this

The people who are capable of making the government work effectively do not want government to work effectively.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the only one who could be a goon is Frost but that would entail someone from Gen Z on this website.

It's Fetterman and he has a 2002 regdate

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

jeebus bob posted:

Like this

The disfunction of the US congress is a feature not a bug

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jeebus bob posted:

Like this

we have those and have had them since like the 1970s. it's just that for some arcane reason the vote for speaker is done this way based on precedent

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

jeebus bob posted:

Like this

This system would not require Kevin to stew in his fury for hours while 435 votes are read aloud one at a time. Therefore I oppose it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jeebus bob posted:

Like this

there are literally no rules right now, aside from "precedent" i.e. default rules from centuries ago when such a contraption would have you burned at the stake as a witch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You can actually see the voting board if they have a long enough shot, it's above the main rostrum and looks like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

This system would not require Kevin to stew in his fury for hours while 435 votes are read aloud one at a time. Therefore I oppose it

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
We got CSPAN callers!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best form of voting is the traditional division votes they use in Germany, where the house has three entry doors labeled "yes" "no" and "abstain", and if they need to challenge a voice vote, everyone leaves the house and re-enters through one of the doors where a guy counts how many people walk through them

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ninjahedgehog posted:

It's especially nice that we know within like 10 minutes of voting whether Kevin finally gets enough votes or not, and then he has to sit there and endure the rest of the vote counting, knowing he lost. It's great.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the best form of voting is the traditional division votes they use in Germany, where the house has three entry doors labeled "yes" "no" and "abstain", and if they need to challenge a voice vote, everyone leaves the house and re-enters through one of the doors where a guy counts how many people walk through them

This is how we do it in the UK, and we have whips who will literally force people into the right lobby (er I mean allegedly force people it was never proven)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Same as in the UK, and it can lead to some hilarious poo poo like people walking through the wrong door or the whips trying to physically manhandle people through the 'right' door and stuff.

e; ^ :argh:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If we get past ten votes they need to start handing out actual whips