Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Andrast posted:

Nothing and that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ancestries having ability score combos was good and getting rid of that is bad and makes things more samey in a boring way

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

super sweet best pal posted:

I liked the old system because it encouraged me to try out character types I would've passed over if there wasn't a mechanical incentive.

Also, it's been discussed to death before, but "my entire cultural group is innately smarter than average, don't worry about it" is a really weird vibe when viewed through the lens of racism. 2e is really good at avoiding it with heritages, since they always emphasize that any given group of a given ancestry has a mixture of them instead of having a Woodland Elf country and a Seer Elf country and etc. This change just makes how they treat ability scores line up with that.

(Also, the old system isn't still being supported so people could make new characters with it. It's so people who made characters with the old system don't feel obligated to completely rework their statline to stay rules-compliant. It's the computer running Windows 98 you keep around for legacy purposes, it's not something you want people to actually use.)

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I really like 3 boosts and a flaw ancestries because it meant I could shop around for one that let me have a 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 spread when I needed those stats. The 14 is usually to qualify for an archetype or a gun had a minimum strength score or I just wanted a few more HP as I thought the character would be front lining.

Given the paucity of Str/Int/Free and Str/Wis/Free ancestries I’m sad if they are going the way of the dodo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

sugar free jazz posted:

ancestries having ability score combos was good and getting rid of that is bad and makes things more samey in a boring way

They still have them, this is an alternate option more or less replacing the flaws rule

the difference between an elf sorcerer then and now isn't the ability to choose what scores you want, as you already could do that, it's that they don't have to end up with some random -STR or -WIS or whatever to get to their preferred boosts

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Is the old flaws rule still an officially supported option? Being able to choose three boosts and two flaws was niche, but I like that the option was there.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Jen X posted:

They still have them, this is an alternate option more or less replacing the flaws rule

the difference between an elf sorcerer then and now isn't the ability to choose what scores you want, as you already could do that, it's that they don't have to end up with some random -STR or -WIS or whatever to get to their preferred boosts

oh it's just an alternate rule set, then i misread it and whatever that seems fine

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Midig posted:

I mean, he has apparantly played both systems for a while, so some elaboration would be nice. Its not like the guy favors DnD 5th anyhow.

In addition to the other things mentioned, he certainly does favour 5e...after he noted it made him more money, so he made a clickbait video bashing PF2 in favour of 5e. That particular video was so distorted, players from the game he was describing even came out to say "wait, that didn't happen". And that's before we get into the actual gameplay descriptions.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Lurks With Wolves posted:

(Also, the old system isn't still being supported so people could make new characters with it. It's so people who made characters with the old system don't feel obligated to completely rework their statline to stay rules-compliant. It's the computer running Windows 98 you keep around for legacy purposes, it's not something you want people to actually use.)

Not entirely though, because it looks like the Flaw system is being relegated to an entirely RP choice even if you're using the old Ability Score rules. People who take flaws so their tertiary stat can be a 14 instead of a 12 can't do that anymore which can lock them out of archetypes, armor or reduce their HP by a significant amount depending on how they arranged their stats.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Midig posted:

I mean, he has apparantly played both systems for a while, so some elaboration would be nice. Its not like the guy favors DnD 5th anyhow.

From the clip it just sounds like he hasn't actually played Pathfinder at all.

Like the weird thing about the index being bad is kinda bizarre. It sounds like he was looking for "making income" but strangely looked up the Crafting skill instead? Of course you won't be able to find something if you look up the wrong thing that's how an index works.

Hmm I'd like to do the Earn Income Activity and use my crafting skill somehow, better look up crafting skill instead of Earn An Income for some reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Idk I just don't think it's as big a deal as you guys are making it that the one specific 18/16/14/12/8/8 statline doesn't exist anymore.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Toshimo posted:

Idk I just don't think it's as big a deal as you guys are making it that the one specific 18/16/14/12/8/8 statline doesn't exist anymore.

Like I would rather die than have 2 8's but it completely invalidates the build my partner is playing right now and that's kind of bullshit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

Like I would rather die than have 2 8's but it completely invalidates the build my partner is playing right now and that's kind of bullshit.

"Completely invalidates" or "has 1-4 less HP"?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As it always has been, the real answer is to kill ability scores entirely.

Between background, feats, ancestry features and feats, and class and everything that comes with that, ability scores are mostly a non-choice prepicked based on your build. You could say "everyone starts with an 18 in every score" and the game of Pathfinder 2e would not be meaningfully different.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just have a single Proficiency Bonus that goes up with levels and doesn't vary for different characters.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

appropriatemetaphor posted:

From the clip it just sounds like he hasn't actually played Pathfinder at all.

Like the weird thing about the index being bad is kinda bizarre. It sounds like he was looking for "making income" but strangely looked up the Crafting skill instead? Of course you won't be able to find something if you look up the wrong thing that's how an index works.

I may be operating in a bit of bad faith here, but he works in sales/marketing as a day job, and it really shows in how he approaches videos.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
pf2e is fun and way better than dnd5e

i am playing an amnesiac hunter automaton deer instinct barbarian who turns from a robot furry dear into just a robot dear with sickass antlers and when i go berserk it's all overclocking and poo poo. :pcgaming:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

bewilderment posted:

As it always has been, the real answer is to kill ability scores entirely.

Between background, feats, ancestry features and feats, and class and everything that comes with that, ability scores are mostly a non-choice prepicked based on your build. You could say "everyone starts with an 18 in every score" and the game of Pathfinder 2e would not be meaningfully different.

This is kind of where I'm at tbh. For something so core to RPG design, they feel more like limitations than anything. Maybe if every ability score did something of interest for every character concept, it could be interesting. Instead, you get your middle numbers exactly where they need to be, you put your high number as high as you can, and your low ones just kinda fester.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sugar free jazz posted:

I feel like I'm seeing this posts and losing my mind.

Heritages and ancestry feats still exist.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like I'm seeing this posts and losing my mind.

Heritages and ancestry feats still exist.

what part is confusing to you about how if one avenue of differentiation is removed, things are more similar. other things can also exist.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

sugar free jazz posted:

what part is confusing to you about how if one avenue of differentiation is removed, things are more similar. other things can also exist.
Because its the most asinine stupidest form of differentiation in the game.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Because its the most asinine stupidest form of differentiation in the game.

is this what 5e people are like or something im so confused

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sugar free jazz posted:

because ancestry boosts don't mattter? especially when there was already a system to finagle the stats you wanted anyway?

or to put it another way, I'm glad Paizo decided "oh it's hosed up to say one race is inhherently dumber than another we should ditch that" was more important than every goblin getting a +2 to charisma or whatever the gently caress

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Races are already differentiated really strongly from all the weird poo poo they can take I don't get how changing their +stat number to anything changes this in any way?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
even WotC decided it was stupid to tie stats to races/species/ancestry.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
they're still tied to ancestries, this is just an alternative system for people who find that uncomfortable or want to build, like, lizardfolk inventors without randomly having to dump some other stat

this is the exact middle ground option that works for everyone except weird minmaxers

Jen X fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 5, 2023

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

As a weird minmaxer I like the change

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Andrast posted:

As a weird minmaxer I like the change

same and same

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chevy Slyme posted:

Those mechanical differences between ancestries still exist in that every ancestry has a unique pool of feats and features that make them feel different and special though.

Like, the fact that Hobgoblins had an Int and Str bonus isn’t what makes them cool and unique it’s the rad feats that play into their flavor as intimidating, militaristic, and superstitious. And those are all still there and great.

This is all exactly right.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Arivia posted:

Because you can now use the new option to just take a boost to any two ability scores of your choice to do it without any extra finagling.

I was already playing a human, so no the new option doesn't actually do anything for me.

My sneaky, scrawny, bomb-throwing saboteur of a human mostly used voluntary flaw as an excuse to have 8 Str to fit the concept, and the extra boost to be slightly better at Will saves or Deception checks was a small mechanical trade-off to justify that penalty. Now there's no justification to create a meaningful choice between two valid options, just making your character strictly worse because ~flavor~. Yay?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean, they may have also found that the vast majority of players using flaws were using them so that they could use an ancestry they wanted for a concept/theme, but that had an existing flaw, which always felt lovely. 90%+ of people I saw take flaws did it for this, and this solution is hella better so v0v.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's reasonable that elves won't have as many jacked bodybuilders but thats no reason to limit a player from making his elf bodybuilder just as jacked as any other

Sub any ancestry with a str flaw there.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Toshimo posted:

I mean, they may have also found that the vast majority of players using flaws were using them so that they could use an ancestry they wanted for a concept/theme, but that had an existing flaw, which always felt lovely. 90%+ of people I saw take flaws did it for this, and this solution is hella better so v0v.

It's the only reason I've got a flawed android thaumaturge from the future. I think the change is definitely a good one.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I mean I kind of wish they just improved voluntary flaw to be a straight 1-for-1 trade to gain 1 flaw and 1 boost each instead, which would've been pretty much the same except without taking versatility away from ancestries like human that already got two free boosts normally.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Did WotC really just re-edit the OFL to gently caress over Paizo et al?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CottonWolf posted:

Did WotC really just re-edit the OFL to gently caress over Paizo et al?

Unclear since all we have is a leaked draft document, and it remains to be seen if that was a trial balloon that will be scaled back, or what. Also, remains to be seen just how aggressively Wizards interprets the document that they are about to put out.

But, reading that leak as written now, if Wizards does interpret the new doc expansively, it’s tantamount to a brick tossed through the Paizo office window with a little note tied to it reading “Time to Pay Up”.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What parts of PF fall under OGL?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a player but don't really follow the behind the scenes stuff on these companies. Anyone have a tldr for what's going on?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

What parts of PF fall under OGL?

All of the rules for the actual RPG. It’s in literally every product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm pretty sure you can't protect a games rules generally but maybe this is a better question for the legal people and the legal thread