Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55UgA28w-Q

2023 and Beyond video.

-F4
-Chinook
-Kiowa Warrior
-Strike Eagle (lol)

-DLSS
-Multithreading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Still no update on the Mig-23 :(

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Basic engine updates are pretty nice but is that just gonna make it look pretty or is that going to mean poo poo crashes less when someone drops a certain kind of bomb?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

:getin:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It blows my mind that that doesn't just constantly kill itself.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Maybe if Ospreys flew sideways, they'd crash less

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Yesssss, banana copter!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Basic engine updates are pretty nice but is that just gonna make it look pretty or is that going to mean poo poo crashes less when someone drops a certain kind of bomb?

DLSS and multithreading should mean a pretty hefty boost to frame rates/make VR a much more viable option.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

DLSS and multithreading should mean a pretty hefty boost to frame rates/make VR a much more viable option.

But what does your heart tell you?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

But what does your heart tell you?

That they will simultaneously release an IFF system that will take 6 out of 8 cores for no obvious reason.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Identify Friend or Frame

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So aside from Rotary Wing Jesus hating me, what would cause an apache to to a sudden uncommanded barrel roll?

I was trying to orbit around a house to get a better angle to shoot something, my flight vector was towards my right rear and I was pushing the pedal hard to the left to yaw and then all of a sudden I did a roll. I was able to get enough control to avoid a second roll, but I drat near poo poo myself.

Has that ever happened to anyone else or was that a weird server lag thing?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 7, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The FM has some weirdness.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bedurndurn posted:

So aside from Rotary Wing Jesus hating me, what would cause an apache to to a sudden uncommanded barrel roll?

You've been hacked by Peppy from Star Fox

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bedurndurn posted:

I was trying to orbit around a house to get a better angle to shoot something, my flight vector was towards my right rear and I was pushing the pedal hard to the left to yaw and then all of a sudden I did a roll. I was able to get enough control to avoid a second roll, but I drat near poo poo myself.

This reminds me of the As350 module I got for Xplane 11. It’ll shoot up into the air when I very gently raise the collective, and should that fail to kill me, if I take my eyes off the screen for a second I’ll look up and find the helicopter in a barrel roll diving to the ground.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

happens to me sometimes, there's definitely some kinks to work out in the flight model.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
So apparently there are blizzard warnings in Hell, because it looks like we'll be able to start testing multi-threading support in DCS today:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/320618-dcs-multithreading-faq/

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

wtf

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ZekeNY posted:

So apparently there are blizzard warnings in Hell, because it looks like we'll be able to start testing multi-threading support in DCS today:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/320618-dcs-multithreading-faq/

Given it's DCS, there will be one additional thread, which will handle the loading splash screens and nothing else.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DCS: Now With Multiple-Threaded Process Crashing

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Shine posted:

Given it's DCS, there will be one additional thread, which will handle the loading splash screens and nothing else.

You're probably right, but even that is more than I ever thought I'd live to see

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The post has this bizarrely intel-specific writeup:

quote:

What is the maximum number of threads the game can utilize?
About half of P-cores are dedicated for the graphics needs. Currently the rendering pool scales up to 16 threads on P-cores (1 core = 2 threads). The other P-cores are used by the main logic thread, sound engine threads, and the auxiliary thread pool that occupy all available space. E-cores are used only by the resources streaming pool that has no limits (1 core = 1 thread).
So they didn't break up the logic thread at all, but they seem to have reached where most other modern game engines are where things like sound playback are separate, which is an improvement to be sure. They also claim that for 4-core systems you actually may lose performance by enabling multithreading.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Beute force your performance with more powerful hardware to the detriment of your finances like a man.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
There is movement in the DCS thread, time to fire up the DCS Updater. I'm not quite ready to commit to starting the actual DCS.exe.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Saukkis posted:

There is movement in the DCS thread, time to fire up the DCS Updater. I'm not quite ready to commit to starting the actual DCS.exe.

Yeah same. I keep everything updated, but I am not really motivated to fix up my cockpit and fly again yet.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Now I'm actually less scared of the game in general, I've gone back and started playing with the frogfoot, it actually owns.

Also the update has changed the ka50 shkval to full colour 1080p, which is nice lol

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Funny to see all the simps on Hoggit cheerleading and thanking ED for the MT update, the same people who were viciously hostile to anyone who said the game runs like poo poo and needs MT.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Yeah same. I keep everything updated, but I am not really motivated to fix up my cockpit and fly again yet.

Well have fun when comms need updating and remind only you after you started loading into the server.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I know BMS is the current hotness but I look forward to herding DCS cats again.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Same. I am relearning my F-18. I can still cold start, and carrier take-off and recover. But uh, I had to fiddle around with the electronics and realized yeah: I cannot effectively deploy weapons (mostly the various a2g) at this current time.

Like, I would be flying with Chuck’s Guide open. Which isn’t very different than normal except I totally forget just about everything so I wouldn’t even be paying attention to where I am flying.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

dialhforhero posted:

Same. I am relearning my F-18. I can still cold start, and carrier take-off and recover. But uh, I had to fiddle around with the electronics and realized yeah: I cannot effectively deploy weapons (mostly the various a2g) at this current time.

Like, I would be flying with Chuck’s Guide open. Which isn’t very different than normal except I totally forget just about everything so I wouldn’t even be paying attention to where I am flying.

I just started learning the F-18 for the first time, coming from the A-10C. Other than Chuck's guide (which I need to read in more detail), any good references you can recommend?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Honestly Chuck’s Guide, the official manual (it will go into a lot more detail about sensors and electronics) and just watch videos.

The training modules aren’t bad. Not good. Not terrible. They can help for the initial learning.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also honestly it isn’t a terribly hard plane to learn. You will probably only ever use 4-5 different weapons load-outs for 90% of the time, and if you know the A-10 then you know basically all the A2G weapons the Hornet would usually carry.

What you have to get used to is the very sluggish engine throttle response, which make carrier recovery tricky, but the maneuverability and stall characteristics are fantastic. Super easy to “fly”.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's why I like the F 14.

All that poo poo is mostly Jester's problem.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Master the SLAM-ER. Takeoff, wheels up, fire 4, announce winchester and contact ATC for landing

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Dandywalken posted:

Master the SLAM-ER. Takeoff, wheels up, fire 4, announce winchester and contact ATC for landing

5 second rule still apply, no need to contact ATC if you're high speed low drag enough

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Seriously though I have hosed up lots of weapons deliveries because I forget to cage OR uncage (or both) and it is frustrating.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

This week I am trying to put the skyhawk into the refueling basket. Its like that virtual ball and cup game from Star Trek except I can't put one goddamn ball into the cup

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

This week I am trying to put the skyhawk into the refueling basket. Its like that virtual ball and cup game from Star Trek except I can't put one goddamn ball into the cup

I've had some amazingly bad luck doing A2A refuelling. Fuel plane just kept on spontaneously bursting into flame. :sigh:

First plane I successfully refueled was the harrier and it took hours of practice. Then I got the hang of it and tried to do the F14 and had to spend even more time relearning because the F14 is way more powerful and difficult to fill. Also the full time is way longer because it's a big thirsty bitch. I think total fuel carried weighs more than the whole harrier.

I haven't tried it since I've gone to VR yet. Might be easier now.

Also bought the mirage F1 because I cannot help myself despite having bought and almost never flown the 2000. I own way too many planes I haven't flown.

I think the only one I keep coming back to is the mig 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Moving to a high end joystick base (warthog to virpil in my case) made refueling a lot easier. I also do VR.