Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee apparently has a new law that if you drive drunk and you kill the parent of a child, you now owe child support to the child.

On the one hand, I like it because gently caress drunk drivers they deserve everything they get. But on the other it’s Tennessee so I’m assuming this is going to be used to go after minorities somehow.

This is a stretch even for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee apparently has a new law that if you drive drunk and you kill the parent of a child, you now owe child support to the child.

On the one hand, I like it because gently caress drunk drivers they deserve everything they get. But on the other it’s Tennessee so I’m assuming this is going to be used to go after minorities somehow.

quick googling shows homicide in Tennessee is already punishable by 8-30 years in prison. So does the driver's family pick up the tab?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

quick googling shows homicide in Tennessee is already punishable by 8-30 years in prison. So does the driver's family pick up the tab?

Is killing someone via DUI treated the same as homicide? A lot of states are much more lenient when killing someone by car, even if you're drunk. The law could also be used to just seize assets of the driver, if there are any.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

The article I read on it didn’t offer much into details except this

quote:

The bill gives the convicted one year to begin payments if they are unable to do so due to incarceration, and the payments would be required to continue until the child is 18 years old.

It’s a bill that apparently unanimously passed back in April but didn’t go into effect until Jan 1.

e: here’s a better article with more details, still reading through but it doesn’t offer much more in depth

https://www.dsslaw.com/blog/drunk-drivers-pay-child-support/

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 4, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It feels a lot like vindictive posturing honestly, although I agree with the spirit of the law. I don’t think it does much practically for the victims.

Something for legislators to hang their hats on being tough on crime or whatever.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I really hate drunk drivers for personal reasons so gently caress ‘em.

I do realize others may think this isn’t a good thing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I really hate drunk drivers for personal reasons so gently caress ‘em.

I do realize others may think this isn’t a good thing.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing or anything it just seems like an ineffective way to combat the problem, but one that is showy enough for a resume. Paper thin politics.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Congrats shirts and skins, happy that you’re both feeling confident enough to make the change and safe enough here to bring it to this motley group :unsmith:

I can’t remember who specifically mentioned “dry January but for snacks” but that’s absolutely what I need right now too. Have actually gone most of the year without any alcohol (still haven’t been to a bar since early 2020) but treats is a different thing entirely. Challenge accepted.

Meanwhile I’m in hell because our 9-month-old has now gotten in the pattern of being up at 2:30 every morning and not going back to sleep for at least an hour and a half. I don’t know what flipped that keeps her from sleeping through the night but my god it needs to flip back.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Working from home on a slow work day is great because when you get that random mid-day burst of motivation to get your poo poo together you can get up and clean instead of convincing yourself you’re gonna do it when you get home all day at the office, and then you get home and feel like a tired slug and don’t do any of it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

T-Square posted:

Working from home on a slow work day is great because when you get that random mid-day burst of motivation to get your poo poo together you can get up and clean instead of convincing yourself you’re gonna do it when you get home all day at the office, and then you get home and feel like a tired slug and don’t do any of it

That’s such a good feeling.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

harperdc posted:

Meanwhile I’m in hell because our 9-month-old has now gotten in the pattern of being up at 2:30 every morning and not going back to sleep for at least an hour and a half. I don’t know what flipped that keeps her from sleeping through the night but my god it needs to flip back.

Sup. Right there with you, with the bonus of my kid really enjoying headbutting us when we put him in bed with us.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

harperdc posted:

sleep regressions are a bitch. it's even harder than when the kiddo is figuring out sleeping through the night for the first time because you know they can do it but they've suddenly lost that skill.

hang in there, it will pass.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
The twins are in their colic phase so one of either my wife or myself is awake throughout 90% of the night. They’ll finally not make noise for a few minutes and I swear they know when you set your phone down to charge and get some sleep because they will immediately start fussing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Older, but for the last 8 months or so my 3 year old will wake up between 11pm-1am and go to sleep in our bed every single night. We cannot get him to stay in his bed no matter what we do. Obviously just some latent evolutionary thing where you deny any chances at having a younger sibling to take any attention away from them.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 4, 2023

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Pain of Mind posted:

Older, but for the last 8 months or so my 3 year old will wake up between 11pm-1am and go to sleep in our bed every single night. We cannot get him to stay in his bed no matter what we do. Obviously just some latent evolutionary thing where you deny any chances at having a younger sibling to take any attention away from you.

I’ve already reversed the doorknob on what will be the kid’s room. Partially for this reason but the other is that it’s upstairs so wanna keep them from doing dumb poo poo in the middle of the night.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My friend puts his daughter in what he calls the sleep sack. It's like half a sleeping bag that wraps around the kid and makes them into a slug merfolk encasing their legs. Makes it harder for the little escape artist to free herself from baby prison.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pain of Mind posted:

Older, but for the last 8 months or so my 3 year old will wake up between 11pm-1am and go to sleep in our bed every single night. We cannot get him to stay in his bed no matter what we do. Obviously just some latent evolutionary thing where you deny any chances at having a younger sibling to take any attention away from them.

When I was little my mom would turn down the thermostat in my room so it'd be too cold to get out from under the covers so I wouldn't get into their bed at night.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
A friendly reminder that you should never under any circumstance cut towards your body.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

The twins are in their colic phase so one of either my wife or myself is awake throughout 90% of the night. They’ll finally not make noise for a few minutes and I swear they know when you set your phone down to charge and get some sleep because they will immediately start fussing.

Hang in there. This is one of the hardest parts of twins.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

wandler20 posted:

A friendly reminder that you should never under any circumstance cut towards your body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1DdO3SISg

Its Rinaldo posted:

My friend puts his daughter in what he calls the sleep sack. It's like half a sleeping bag that wraps around the kid and makes them into a slug merfolk encasing their legs. Makes it harder for the little escape artist to free herself from baby prison.

This is like the preferred way for babies. It cuts down on SIDS.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I would also like to cast my speaker vote for Deez Nuts.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Congrats Shirts! That's a monumental change and happy for you!

I get to interview for a full time position in the job I've been doing for the last 11 months tomorrow. Supposedly it's my turn for the open position so we will see. Also going for a nice pay bump from contract to full time. I have been nervous this whole holiday season as my contract runs out the 31st of this month so I was extra cautious with my money when it came to buying myself things this holiday season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hello, I am here to inform you that if you live in Mass, Vermont, Minnesota, Washington, Jersey or Louisiana, you can formally adopt a drain near your house, and if you clear it of debris occasionally, you also get to name it:

https://adopt-a-drain.org/

Sadly many cities do not seem to be part of this, but if you are you too can be a proud cleaner of Thirsty Hole 69

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing or anything it just seems like an ineffective way to combat the problem, but one that is showy enough for a resume. Paper thin politics.

Correct. No one is reaching for the keys after a fifth of Jack and then stopping saying “oh gee if I kill someone I owe their kid child support”

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Freaquency posted:

Correct. No one is reaching for the keys after a fifth of Jack and then stopping saying “oh gee if I kill someone I owe their kid child support”

Well another point is that if you’re already killing the parent, this likely doesn’t help the kid too much as you can’t earn child support money while in prison

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Well another point is that if you’re already killing the parent, this likely doesn’t help the kid too much as you can’t earn child support money while in prison

Yeah but they'll be out within 5 to 10 years. (I'm not necessarily supporting the new legislation, mind you.)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

It certainly feels like a political boomer meme made into policy.

"LIKE and SHARE if you think drunk drivers killing parents should pay child support!"

The intention is nice but functionally doesn't seem to help the case if the driver is in jail nor is enforcement clear cut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What are the consequences if someone doesn't or can't pay the child support? Seems like another way to criminalize the poor. Like identical cases but one guy is rich and one is poor. Already the rich guy is gonna be in jail for a shorter amount of time because he can afford an attorney and isn't using an overworked public defender, after they get out, he can afford the child support, the poor guy probably can't. Getting a job that pays enough for food and rent is hard enough right out of prison, now there's child support payments...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

What are the consequences if someone doesn't or can't pay the child support? Seems like another way to criminalize the poor.

The same thing that happens to all the other poor people who can’t pay. Serial felony charges, unable to make bail, perpetual unemployment, recidivism, rinse/repeat.

A good way to keep impoverished offenders in the prison slave trade.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So the solution here is to punish them... less?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

LeeMajors posted:

A good way to keep impoverished offenders in the prison slave trade.

Actually tennessee just outlawed slavery so checkmate

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

The solution is to not punish with fines. Anything punished with a crime is just saying "it's legal if you're rich"

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120476/jeff-bezos-washington-dc-renovate-apartment-home-parking-tickets

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Okay then we add it as a modifier then? Killing a single parent/sole provider? So the poor folks simply go to prison longer?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Is anyone here saying that? I mean why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

Is anyone here saying that? I mean why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

Hey it worked for that planet in TNG, and if Picard had just followed the god drat Prime Directive we would've been spared seasons of Wesley Crusher.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Depends on the jurisdiction - many states have moved away from jailing as a punishment for failure to pay, reserving it only for disobeying court orders, such as doing a job search.

I’ll let you guess which states are keeping jail for nonpayment as the norm.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skwirl posted:

The solution is to not punish with fines. Anything punished with a crime is just saying "it's legal if you're rich"

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120476/jeff-bezos-washington-dc-renovate-apartment-home-parking-tickets

Some Nordic countries make fines like speeding tickets proportional to income or net worth

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

The solution should be that the government can support a child who is now parentless instead of putting the burden upon someone who has no means to pay it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Okay then we add it as a modifier then? Killing a single parent/sole provider? So the poor folks simply go to prison longer?

I'm just saying that the law does nothing to prevent drunk driving, likely does very little for the victim's survivors since the vast majority of people will be unable to pay, and worsens society in general by just further criminalizing poverty. Like, gently caress drunk drivers, I'm not going to cry for them or anything, but I don't like unequal punishment for equal crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

I'm just saying that the law does nothing to prevent drunk driving, likely does very little for the victim's survivors since the vast majority of people will be unable to pay, and worsens society in general by just further criminalizing poverty. Like, gently caress drunk drivers, I'm not going to cry for them or anything, but I don't like unequal punishment for equal crimes.

Instead they could be setting up state welfare funds for the well-being of surviv….hahahaha couldn’t even get that all the way out, this looks way better in re-election ads.