Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Always nice to have unexpected developments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Yeah, I absolutely jumped the gun with the photo album. The aforementioned twist overwrote the immediate lead-up to it in my memory.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Steel Samurai lost is one of the best AA twists and sets the bar for all games going forward.

It's genius in its simplicity and yet I doubt many players managed to suss it out before Nick's freakout.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Omobono posted:

The Steel Samurai lost is one of the best AA twists and sets the bar for all games going forward.

It's genius in its simplicity and yet I doubt many players managed to suss it out before Nick's freakout.
Funnily enough I got it at the exact same time as Nick's freakout, which made it super awesome because I was going "OH poo poo!" at the same time as the player character. That's always a magical moment.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

These are the moments why I love Ace Attorney. When the game presents a seemingly-innocuous multiple choice question, except one of the answers completely flips the entire case on its head, and that's how you know it's gotta be the right one.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I remember having my own 'Oh poo poo!' moment, except it was in the sixth game and it was more of an 'oh, shiiiiiiiiiiiit :ohdear:' one.

But yeah.

Welcome to Ace Attorney.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Funnily enough I got it at the exact same time as Nick's freakout, which made it super awesome because I was going "OH poo poo!" at the same time as the player character. That's always a magical moment.

Part of it is because they keep throwing sensible explanations like ink from an octopus at every step of the chain.

No photo in the album? Well, the murder was hardly an official show, it's not like Cody was a witness.
Oh, he was. But he had a new camera, so he must not have managed to snap a picture.
Wait, what do you mean you took one but deleted it? :psyboom:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
And all Phoenix had to do to get here was bully a small child to the point of tears! :P

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Listen, some kids have it coming.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yes, children can be very cruel.

No, Bart, that was not permission to be such.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

dotchan posted:

And all Phoenix had to do to get here was bully a small child to the point of tears! :P

(Welcome to the real world, kid!)

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

This is, as many have already said, the moment that makes the case.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I've not been commenting or voting, given I'm familiar enough with the first Ace Attorney game that I don't feel like I should, but yes. This twist is excellent, and marks the first of several where your entire understanding of the case transforms in an instant over the course of the series. I've been following quietly, and have to say I really appreciate watching you play through this game, but I'll probably return to being quiet for now. Thanks for your work!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I've always found it weird the album doesn't work for the first prompt: it and the camera both follow the logic of "he was trying to take a picture for the album." It's weird that they split the two pieces of evidence up for a single conclusion.

And yeah, the way they quietly build up your assumption on who the killer is all case only to then yank the rug out here is pretty great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, that's one thing that makes Ace Attorney really nice - its twists really grab you because you've been working on them as opposed to being told them.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
It's a pretty good twist, and since you have been working at it, you can put together the pieces at about the same time as Nick.

When AA gets good, it gets GOOD

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
AA is at its best when it doesn't show you whodunnit in the opening scene.

Which is thankfully a majority of the time, I feel.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

MarquiseMindfang posted:

AA is at its best when it doesn't show you whodunnit in the opening scene.

Which is thankfully a majority of the time, I feel.

I think it's traditional that they do this for the first case in each game, right? (I think this is a common enough basic-fact that it's not a spoiler but i apologize if it is)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gosts posted:

I think it's traditional that they do this for the first case in each game, right? (I think this is a common enough basic-fact that it's not a spoiler but i apologize if it is)

They mix it up a little. But there's a good chance.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
You know what? I'm going to be a big enough man to admit that I completely loving forgot about this twist in the decade-plus since I last played this one.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Truthkeeper posted:

You know what? I'm going to be a big enough man to admit that I completely loving forgot about this twist in the decade-plus since I last played this one.

Same. I do replay AA games every couple of years, but I rarely play this case because the others are either foundational to the series (Mia's death in case 2), a blast to play (both of the remaining cases), or both (case 4). I don't even remember whodunnit in this case, though I have some theories based on what we've seen so far.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

Truthkeeper posted:

I'm on the same boat, and holy poo poo I was not ready to get that one again. This case is definitely a solid one, even if it takes a while to get going.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 63: Episode 3, Day 3, Trial: Samurai Turnabout

We last left off with a rather stunning reveal, though it hasn't really been spelled out for us yet. These first two options don't even make any sense, and while I'd like to show them off, there are penalties involved here. So you'll have to settle for the alternate history instead...

quote:

If the photos were blurry, Cody probably wouldn't have kept them, right?

I believe that Cody Hackins is what we call an "artiste."

An... "artiste"...?
Sound: Realization

He didn't like the photos he had taken!

They were blurry, or maybe his framing was off...

Anyway, for some reason, he erased the data!

Is that right, Cody?

Wh-what do you mean "framing was off"!?

It seems the only thing "off" is your guesswork, Mr. Wright.
Sound: Damage 2

There goes two health sections!

Um, uh...

Yes, well, I'm sure the real reason is...

Yes? The real reason is?

Why was there no picture in the album from the day of the murder?

Why would the boy have erased the photos he took?

We're sent back to the prompt for another chance at it. Assuming we haven't run out of health sections and gotten Powers declared guilty yet.

quote:

Cody didn't know how to use his camera real well, so he must've just erased them by mistake!

Simple, Your Honor.

Cody wasn't used to using his new camera.

He erased those photos he took by mistake!

W-wait a second, Phoenix.
Sound: Whack

If that's your answer, we're back where we started!

Huh? You mean, that wasn't it?
Sound: Light Bulb

Mr. Wright! If you have something to say to the court, speak up!

Um, well...

S-sorry, Your Honor. Can I change my answer?

Hmm... *sigh*

The judge isn't real forgiving here - we still lose two health sections.

Why was there no picture in the album from the day of the murder?

Why would the boy have erased the photos he took?

Anyway, there's the real reason the third option has to be the right one - it's the only one that actually changes the narrative of the murder.

Now, let's get to the big reveal!

I can think of only one reason, Your Honor.

Music: Silence

Sound: Desk Slam

The Steel Samurai didn't win!

That's why Cody deleted those photos.

Well, Cody? I'm right, aren't I?

Tell the truth. The bad guy defeated the Steel Samurai!

Sound: Guilty

I-it's impossible! Th-the Steel Samurai never loses!

He never loses to anyone! Ever!
Sound: Drama Pound
Sound: Super Shock

Your Honor...

Music: Telling the Truth

The same reason he erased his precious photos!

For Cody, it was inconceivable that the Steel Samurai could be defeated.

However, Cody witnessed the impossible!

He saw the Steel Samurai lose!

That's why he lied and said the Steel Samurai won.

Sound: Objection

It wouldn't be a courtroom game without that reference.

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel x 3

O-Order! I will have order!

W-what did you see? Tell the court what you saw!

I......

Sound: Super Shock x 3

Oh. Well. So much for being gentle.

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

Even Phoenix seems a little stunned by that one.

Cody...

Right?

Okay okay!

Y-you're right!

Th-then he didn't m-move...

Sound: Super Shock

Order! Order! Order!

What kind of stunt are you trying to pull, Wright?

Dueling close-ups, I love it. I was wondering when Edgeworth would chime in again.

We're shocking the gallery a lot here.

Sound: Gavel

I suppose we should explain ourselves to the judge.

Apparently, we have all made a serious error.

An... error?

Edgeworth has never even heard of an error, let alone made one. Anyway, two nonsense statements and one real one here. There's a penalty attached, but this one's easy.

At the end of the fight, the Steel Samurai fell to the ground, and lay still.

Don't you see?

Jack Hammer was the Steel Samurai!

quote:

Let's take a moment to reiterate that Hammer is the victim here. For some reason.

Quite simply,

the victim was Jack Hammer!

(There's a shot of the gallery also being deathly silent here. Phoenix has stunned everyone.)

Umm... Mr. Wright?

We all know that.

Right.

Perhaps you'd like to reconsider your last statement?

I'm sorry.

It was I who was wrong.

Okay, Wright! First you're right, now you're wrong!? Which is it!?

Edgeworth himself takes away the two health sections here. That's fair, really.

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

L-look, I'm sure there's something we're overlooking!

If you're so sure, then tell us what it is!

And we're back at the same prompt, two health sections lighter. Probably got off light, there.

quote:

What if...there was no victim at all? ...Somehow.

There was no victim in this case!

Wh-wh-what!? Has the defense taken leave of its senses!?
Sound: Stab 2

Of course, Jack Hammer died.

But the Steel Samurai fell too!

It was a draw!

Sorry. I was too shocked to say anything for a bit there.

Listen, Wright!

Only one person died in this incident, and that is Jack Hammer!

Yet now you claim there "was no victim"?

Are you insane?

(Uh oh, he's pulling out all the stops now.)
Sound: Whoops

I'm sorry.

The rest is the same as the other wrong answer, bringing us back to the prompt minus two more health sections.

The judge is getting a lot of use out of that gavel in this update.

Order! Order! Order!

So, the Steel Samurai in this photograph...

I kind of wonder if they coded the wrong sound effect here. I've never heard the gavel strike for anything but the gavel animation. Maybe "Realization" would've fit better here? Or "Whack", even?

That's what I'm saying, Your Honor.

Thus, he obviously knew about Will Powers's foot injury.

B-but wait!

That's what everyone thought!

But remember what Ms. Oldbag said in her testimony?

Did I see poor old Hammer? Nope.

I didn't really remember seeing those lines like that. They're all direct quotes, though. The first is actually the first line of her first testimony, and the other two show up when pressing her on a later line in that same testimony. Anyway...

However, no one saw him going to Studio One.

Nor was there a picture of him.

Next episode, I'm going to keep a running list of "assumptions without evidence" because this one was hiding in plain sight and I totally missed it.

Then he snuck into the dressing room and stole the Steel Samurai costume.

Sound: Shock 2

Sound: Shock 2

I... don't know.

Oh, right, Cody's still here.

?

I thought that the Steel Samurai was moving strange.

Pops!

Huh, me? What?

We've had our key epiphany, and we're rewarded with some solid evidence for once!

Data?

Music: Suspense

!

W-what!?

Show us, quick!

Now!

*sniff*

Well well well! Now our timeline actually makes sense! Hammer went to Studio Two, not Studio One, at 2:00 PM. The monkey head fell at 2:15 PM, blocking off all other access to the studio (except Cody, who was wandering around the woods). Hammer was killed at 2:30 PM at Studio Two. The monkey head was removed around 4:00 PM and after that point, Hammer was moved over to Studio One, stuffed into his Evil Magistrate costume, to be "discovered" after 5:00 PM. And that Studio Two alibi now actually proves that someone there has to be the killer! Go add "the crime scene was Studio One" to the bad assumption list.

Well, looking at this it's still a little hard to say.

Argh judge you're entirely missing the point!

Your opinion, Mr. Wright?

I agree, Your Honor. This isn't decisive evidence.

I'll give it back.

Game you don't get to blow my mind last update and then act all dumb now!

Mia? What?

Look at that photo once more!

Music: Suspense

That's it Phoenix!

Wh-what!?

Y-Your Honor!

C-certainly. I don't see why not.

Phoenix! Show him!

It's another game of pixel-hunting, but this one is almost an insult to our intelligence. I won't bother to pass along that insult by asking for a vote here, but we've been at it for awhile so I will take a break. Feel free to discuss the implications of this photo in the meantime. Until next time!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hot take: The director is the killer. Hammer ate a steak with him and caught Sal Manella.

(:v:)

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Make a small child cry percent speedrun complete!

Time taken: Six months.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It's... It's the two on the sign. C'mon, game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rapid-fire revelations that challenge your understanding of the case? The real Ace Attorney starts here!

Cody must really be an obsessive Steel Samurai fan of he can tell who's in the suit through an affected limp.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Quackles posted:

Hot take: The director is the killer. Hammer ate a steak with him and caught Sal Manella.

(:v:)

Oof. If I caught that I'd pick death too

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Incredible twists! Challenged assumptions! Bits of dialogue that are incredibly important in hindsight!

and now...answer this question that a 2 year old could solve! :effort:

Honestly, game, don't do that to me after pulling such a good twist on us!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

argosaxelcaos posted:

Incredible twists! Challenged assumptions! Bits of dialogue that are incredibly important in hindsight!

and now...answer this question that a 2 year old could solve! :effort:

Honestly, game, don't do that to me after pulling such a good twist on us!

I mean, the big twist was also delivered with a brain dead player choice. The issue here is that the crime scene being different than assumed should also be a big dramatic reveal, but it comes so close behind hammer was the samurai that you get completely underwhelmed by it and get left with an insulting easy input.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I think the issue is more that Hammer being the Steel Samurai forces you to fundamentally rethink EVERYTHING about the case. At that point, learning the crime scene was also different is more of a "Yeah it might as well be, huh?" than a "Oh my god this changes EVERYTHING".

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Remember, the initial audience for the game was Japanese, so the bottom half of a "2" might not be so obvious to them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love the pace of the back-and-forth with the prosecution when Phoenix has finally figured things out. He goes from bluffing like crazy and nitpicking to find even the tiniest inconsistency to a righteous warrior slamming down the truth. And both still feel perfectly like Phoenix!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

(context: in Italian the equivalent to grasping straws is trying to climb glass*)
(*EDIT: more accurately trying to climb on a mirror)

The way I described AA to a friend was nevermind glass, glass is a loving luxury, Nick has to climb air at times.
Then he gets a grip on that invisible bridge from Last Crusade and he starts sprinting at a dead run without missing a single twist in it because he doesn't have the time to check the path.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 4, 2023

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

theshim posted:

I love the pace of the back-and-forth with the prosecution when Phoenix has finally figured things out. He goes from bluffing like crazy and nitpicking to find even the tiniest inconsistency to a righteous warrior slamming down the truth. And both still feel perfectly like Phoenix!

The writers deserve credit for making him appear both goofy and extremely competent at separate times, without feeling like plot convenience

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Remember, the initial audience for the game was Japanese, so the bottom half of a "2" might not be so obvious to them.

Japanese people use Arabic numerals frequently enough that this isn't likely to be a concern. Honestly, I think the issue is that because this is a visual novel, and so much of the story is straightforward, there wouldn't be much gameplay left if the obvious things like this weren't made interactive. There's always a point when any sensible person would be able to collect all of the facts and arrive at an answer that's borne out by the available evidence, but if the game reaches that point, then it's no longer a game. Hence the "please point out to the court which of these shapes goes into the round hole" busywork.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 64: Episode 3, Day 3, Trial: Alibi Turnabout

Only the "2" on the signpost will do, here. The signpost here shows the bottom half of a "2", and the gate itself has a backwards "2" on it, but for some reason clicking on the gate just produces a generic failure. (If you look back at part 51, our first look at Studio Two, there does not appear to be any number - backwards or forwards - on the gate itself. Maybe this image is actually from inside the gate?)

quote:

User Carbon dioxide pointed out that the gate actually has an "S" on it, for Studio. You can make out the "T" under the Steel Samurai's armpit. I was so fixated on the "2" that I hallucinated an extra backwards one! :blush:

Your Honor! Look at this!

I see... a gate?

Clearly not a "1", Your Honor, correct?

The number?

quote:

The only other item of interest in the photo is the Steel Samurai himself.

It's right here!

The Steel Samurai...?

Yes, that's about the only thing in this picture that could be inconsistent.

The Steel Samurai is inconsistent with... something.

Wright!

This is no time for daydreaming and pointless pontification!

Think about your client, and us, who are forced to listen to your rambling!

Mr. Wright, please rethink your position.

We're brought back to the picture to try again. No penalty at least!

quote:

Clicking anywhere else gets a generic failure:

I think it's here.

You seem to be lacking even more confidence than usual.

I suppose that's because I'm not confident about it at all.

Maybe you want to rethink your case, Mr. Wright?

Yes, please, Your Honor.

And we're back at the picture again.

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered - Variation

B-but...

Th-that's impossible!

Hmm? Eh? What's this all about?

:allears: We're going to have to spell it out more for the judge, but that line is worth it.

I'll use the studio guidemap.

However, what do we see in this photo taken at the time of the murder?

It does NOT say "1" on that gate in the photo.

Your Honor!

The game is insulting us again.

Studio Two!

Here, at Studio Two.

quote:

This choice is so easy we don't get any specific dialogue for other locations. Clicking anywhere else on the map just gets us...

It was here!

What does that have to do with the number on the gate in the photograph...?

Umm... well...

Sorry, Your Honor, I guess I hadn't thought it that far through yet.

Think it through before you point at the map this time, Mr. Wright!

Once again! Where is the scene of this crime!

We're taken back to the prompt at the map, once again without penalty.

Here comes the other part of the turnabout, flipping the alibi on its head! No penalty here, so I'll go with the obvious choice about the path being blocked.

The path to the trailer was blocked!

So we have heard.

The path was blocked at 2:15...

In other words, the victim went to Studio Two before that time!

Yes... yes, I suppose that would be the case.

Remember Mr. Sal Manella's testimony?

Allow me to remind the court:

Yet, in actuality, the reverse was true!

Only someone in the trailer could have committed this murder!

That reveal is enough to get the crowd buzzing.

As you may recall, there is a trailer in Studio Two.

We continue on with a topic that was actually one of the other prompt options above.

Now, on that day, a meeting was held in that very trailer.

They were at the scene of the crime!

quote:

Mentioning the trailer is actually a valid choice! We just get the same dialogue in a different order:

As you may recall, there is a trailer in Studio Two.

Now, on that day, a meeting was held in that very trailer.

There was a break in the meeting corresponding to the time of death.

During that break, Mr. Sal Manella and Ms. Dee Vasquez were outside, eating steak.

They were at the scene of the crime!

We get a shot of the gallery here and a gavel bang from the judge, before continuing with our second point...

The path to the trailer was blocked!

So we have heard.

The path was blocked at 2:15...

In other words, the victim went to Studio Two before that time!

Yes... yes, I suppose that would be the case.

Remember Mr. Sal Manella's testimony?

Allow me to remind the court:

He said no one in the trailer was guilty because they could not have gone to Studio One.

Yet, in actuality, the reverse was true!

Only someone in the trailer could have committed this murder!

They were the only ones with access to the scene of the crime: Studio Two!

From here, the scene continues the same as in our original choice. Which narrative order do you prefer?

quote:

The only wrong answer is mentioning that no filming is done at Studio Two:

Studio Two is no longer being used for filming!

I see...

And this is significant... why?

(Good question! I really should think these things through more.)

Would you like to take another stab at it? So to speak?

S-stabbing away, Your Honor.

And we get to go back and choose again!

More crowd reaction!

O-order! Order!

The defense makes the following claims:

The scene of the crime was Studio Two!

Mr. Hammer, for some reason, stole a Steel Samurai costume.

Then he went to Studio Two!

Edgeworth is on top of things here - we just spouted off a lot of conjecture without a lot of real evidence behind it.

This is madness!

Why would he steal a Steel Samurai costume!?

W-well, no, of course not...

Hmm...

Or do you have proof!?

Nothing comes to mind, no...

Phoenix.

We do?

Just go for it! All or nothing!

Your Honor...

Yes, Mr. Wright?

quote:

I guess we have proof after all... let's see what we say if we just go for it up front:

I have proof!

Y-you do!?

You do, Mr. Wright?

(Now that they're so surprised suddenly I'm much less confident...)

(I think I'm right, though!)

We proceed either way...

No penalty for getting this one wrong, time to show them the badge!

(Wait, no, that can't be right...)
Sound: Stab

Y-yes, Your Honor!

I'm not sure this bottle is really "proof," but it's the only thing that connects our story together!

This is it.

I found this on the table in the Employee Area.

I'm not sure why the game felt the need for a scrolling effect there, but we get to see the whole table.

The label reads "sleeping pills."

"Sleeping pills"...?

He was drugged... by Mr. Hammer!

Wait a moment...

But there is no proof that Mr. Hammer used it.

Only one of these options can actually connect Hammer to the bottle.

An... idea? Very well, let's hear it.

quote:

Testing Powers's blood might've been helpful a few days ago, but even then it doesn't prove anything about Hammer:

An... idea? Continue.

Run a test of Powers's blood.

You should find traces of the sleeping pills.

This much time after the day of the murder!?

Even if there were traces it still proves nothing!

No blood test could tell that Hammer was the one who drugged him, Mr. Wright!

(He's right. Darn.)

(That didn't work. Time to try another idea.)

Free retries though!

quote:

Examining Hammer's body... is certainly an idea. No idea how it could help, though!

An idea, Mr. Wright? And that would be?

Err... we should examine Mr. Hammer's body.

Mr. Hammer...?

I thought that it was Mr. Powers who was made to take the sleeping pills?

I-indeed it was, Your Honor.

(Wrong again...)

That wasn't your best idea, Phoenix.

Hmm...

I suppose you're right.

That bottle sure took its time making an impact, but it delivered!

We come back some time later, with the judge deep in thought. Did the bottle get tested already?

Music: Trial

Oh no, we do have a third day of investigation after all. Maybe this time we'll actually go inside the Studio Two gate?

In fact, things may have happened very differently than we previously thought.

The scene of the crime was not Studio One, but Studio Two.

And those in the trailer did have time to commit murder.

Mr. Wright?

Yes, Your Honor?

Why would Mr. Hammer steal the Steel Samurai costume?

Also, who killed him, and why?

Find the answers for me by tomorrow.

No kidding! This investigation sequence should be a bit more lively!

Mr. Edgeworth.

Mm?

You will need to reconsider your stance in this case.

Look at that, the game is basically admitting we've already done enough to prove our client is "not guilty." Barring another frame job later today, anyway. I bet he still gets declared guilty if we screw up enough in the next day of trial tomorrow, though!

As you say, Your Honor.

Trials must finish in three days or else!

This crowd probably never sees the mythical third day of trial.

Very well... Court is adjourned!

That trial took almost the whole day! Not much time left for all that homework!

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

Whew!

That was a close one!

...Home? Where is home for you?

M-me too!

Really?

Fake it 'till you make it! That's the motto of Wright & Co.!

Hah! Maybe I should take up a career in acting?

Me too!

D-dead!?

Now, now, you're scaring the poor guy.

Are you sure?

(I wasn't kidding...)

Now, Mr. Powers.

We have to go make our final investigation.

R-right! Thanks! *sniff*

Onto our third investigation phase!

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

Next time, we'll have our first invetigation sequence where we actually have some idea of what happened!

DKII fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 8, 2023

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Helping you reach a new page. Not much to say specifically though. Sorry.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A limitation of the format. We've demonstrated that Powers has an unassailable* alibi, so why the gently caress is the trial going on? Later games get better at this.
Although with the Japanifornian system I'd not trust the prosecutor an iota so better to keep this going for a while.

*I'm assuming that in a real world USA trial the prosecutor would not be allowed** to turn on a dime and renege on one of his main inferences namely studio 1 and 2 were completely cut off
**Ought ≠ is, legal protections may not apply if defendant isn't white, rich or Christian

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, technically our work should be done: we've proven there's reasonable doubt our client is the killer, so this hearing should end with a Not Guilty verdict, and the police should have to go back, investigate, and probably build a case on the studio higher ups.

But that wouldn't make for a terribly satisfying conclusion, since Ace Attorney is really a detective series with courtroom theming! So now we have to do the police/prosecution's job and stick the blame on whoever we conclude actually did it or Powers will hang anyway because... I dunno, someone should get punished for this mess, I guess?