Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I love tweaking settings, turning up the bloom and motion blur, cranking the FOV so everything looks like it's being viewed through a fish bowl. Lovingly changing the AA from 2x to 4x to 8x and just watching the jaggies VANISH.

Don't even get me started on mouse sensitivity, when a game starts up and it takes me more or less than a single sweep of the mouse across my 26 square inch mouse pad to do a 180 degree turn I know I'm in for a fun couple hours of tweaking and testing. "Calibration" is the fancy term for it, but I don't use it much because I don't want to sound like a bore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it is true PC gamer energy to say "i love tweaking settings"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
actual pc gamers just buy way over what they need so they can hike every setting to max and just play dota 2 for hours

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
RPGs are just games about changing different settings.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

JRPGs are whole games about selecting short term settings in esoteric menus. Computer gamers should love them in concept.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
RPGs are basically grog games for people who can only handle 3 units.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I decided to actually see what all the fuss was about and downloaded Vampire Survivors on my phone

Okay, yeah, it is amazing, but what's really funny slash sad is that it's extremely, extremely similar to goon made game Nimble Quest, which was a notorious flop for the studio when it came out like 7 years ago

So if you like VS, try out Nimble Quest

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I love tweaking settings, turning up the bloom and motion blur, cranking the FOV so everything looks like it's being viewed through a fish bowl. Lovingly changing the AA from 2x to 4x to 8x and just watching the jaggies VANISH.

Don't even get me started on mouse sensitivity, when a game starts up and it takes me more or less than a single sweep of the mouse across my 26 square inch mouse pad to do a 180 degree turn I know I'm in for a fun couple hours of tweaking and testing. "Calibration" is the fancy term for it, but I don't use it much because I don't want to sound like a bore

Also i agree with this with difficulty/gameplay settings, when a game lets you tweak it to your liking, that's the stuff, none of this 'designer' bullshit going on about how they have an 'intended experience'

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Two of the first games I had for the PSOne was FF7 and SotN and both had options to change the colors of the menu windows to whatever you wanted.

I assumed that was going to be a thing for most games going forward, but I can't remember any games letting you do that since.

gently caress you game developers. If I want to burn out my retinas that's my decision!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The fatal problem with PC based VR is that playing it is a gigantic Undertaking and the headset and its associated cabling take up a huge amount of space close to your computer when you're not using it. You have to start Steam or whatever, switch on the two handheld controllers (oh and you'd better hope their AA batteries are charged), put the headset on, then Microsoft just has to stick their dick into things too so they have their own fuckass launcher world, then you have to pick whatever thing you want to play from there and then you can start playing the game.

The fatal problem with non-PC based VR is that it is owned by Facebook.

A big part of the appeal of switch games and mobile games and probably the dreck is that going from wanting to play a game to playing a game is a much simpler process:

1. Pick up small unobtrusive gaming device
2. Press power button
3. Click icon for the game you want to play

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vakal posted:

Two of the first games I had for the PSOne was FF7 and SotN and both had options to change the colors of the menu windows to whatever you wanted.

I assumed that was going to be a thing for most games going forward, but I can't remember any games letting you do that since.

star ocean 2 as well; and ff6 and chrono trigger also let you recolor your menu garishly. they even include some hideous patterns like 32x32 fat chocobo on a neon pink background :eng101:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Phil Fish

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

The fatal problem with non-PC based VR is that it is owned by Facebook.

you say this but its the cheapest, and some goons here and many other normally anti Zuck people make excuses for them buying and continually using occulus.

the flavoraid of VR is strong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have a powerful urge to play star ocean 2 aka "the good one"

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Fur20 posted:

star ocean 2 as well; and ff6 and chrono trigger also let you recolor your menu garishly. they even include some hideous patterns like 32x32 fat chocobo on a neon pink background :eng101:

earthbound let you recolor the menu borders but they were subtle and tasteful (except peanut which was poopy brown)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

I have a powerful urge to play star ocean 2 aka "the good one"

Do it but don't make the mistake of getting Opera + Ernest over Ashton. I finally tried them out when I played most recently and they suck in battle and they're mostly boring outside of it. The only redeeming feature of them is that they break the fourth wall on Expel because they'll make comments about the various pre-rendered background objects that are just modern industrial equipment and really don't belong on the planet, and sometimes they'll say what the player is most likely to be thinking about the setting's contrived science fiction elements

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 4, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PhazonLink posted:

you say this but its the cheapest

it's not surprising
that's also the reason everyone still uses amazon despite calling them evil

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

The fatal problem with PC based VR is that playing it is a gigantic Undertaking and the headset and its associated cabling take up a huge amount of space close to your computer when you're not using it. You have to start Steam or whatever, switch on the two handheld controllers (oh and you'd better hope their AA batteries are charged), put the headset on, then Microsoft just has to stick their dick into things too so they have their own fuckass launcher world, then you have to pick whatever thing you want to play from there and then you can start playing the game.

The Vive and Vive 2 work with an optional wireless adapter, and the controllers use rechargeable li-on batteries. Not sure what you mean about Microsoft getting involved.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

I made an impulse buy of a pre-modded psx with xstation & 1tb of games last night that I feel kind of dumb about. At least I didn't buy a ps5 I guess.

why would you use all that fancy tech when PS1 emulators exist, and look 1000x better

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Manufacturers like HP use WMR so they don't have to write their own spatial orientation tracking and sensor fusion math code

But then you have to use Microsoft's launcher to start any VR thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fur20 posted:

Do it but don't make the mistake of getting Opera + Ernest over Ashton. I finally tried them out when I played most recently and they suck in battle and they're mostly boring outside of it. The only redeeming feature of them is that they break the fourth wall on Expel because they'll make comments about the various pre-rendered background objects that are just modern industrial equipment and really don't belong on the planet, and sometimes they'll say what the player is most likely to be thinking about the setting's contrived science fiction elements

the first time i played, i got Opera and Ernest, just because i didn't like Ashton lol

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like when games refuse to let me make my mouse sensitivity low enough (through the setting menu I'm sure some would let me edit config files and such but I don't think I should have to). They also use fiddly sliders instead of just letting me type in a number. Like what the gently caress? How hard is it to consider people with high dpi mice?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think antialiasing looks like poo poo and it's the first thing I turn off whenever I load up a game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
TAA is lovely and can blur stuff but older styles of antialiasing should be just fine. idk why so many things downgrade to it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

TAA is lovely and can blur stuff but older styles of antialiasing should be just fine. idk why so many things downgrade to it

PBR and increasingly detailed assets pushed aliasing down to the subpixel scale, which FXAA/SMAA can't deal with and MSAA only partially deals with while also being slow and difficult to integrate with other modern techniques

TAA isn't perfect but it's the only solution that's broadly effective and fast

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I think antialiasing looks like poo poo and it's the first thing I turn off whenever I load up a game.

You ain't even wrong. At like 2560 × 1440 on a normal person sized monitor doesn't even register as jagged.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah if you've got a 4k display you might as well turn that poo poo off

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
minewseeper is the only good game ever made

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nooner posted:

It's a criss cross puzzle for an analphabet

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nooner posted:

:haibrower:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ski Free exists u dummies

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i dislike them, and heated steering wheels too

Nope. Scotland

I grew up in northern Minnesota and I've spent a bit of time in Scotland in the past.

We used to stand outside to catch the school bus when it was -20 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think Scotland is very cold. Do you have to use a block heater for your car in the winter? No? Then you probably don't live in a truly cold climate.

Heated seats rule when you live in actually cold areas.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 5, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I grew up in northern Minnesota and I've spent a bit of time in Scotland in the past.

We used to stand outside to catch the school bus when it was -20 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think Scotland is very cold. Do you have to use a block heater for your car in the winter? No? Then you probably don't live in a truly cold climate.

Heated seats rule when you live in actually cold areas.

hey thats not fair it occasionally goes below freezing in Scotland!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Manufacturers like HP use WMR so they don't have to write their own spatial orientation tracking and sensor fusion math code

But then you have to use Microsoft's launcher to start any VR thing

Not necessarily, I've launched games from steam on my desktop and had it started on my Reverb

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

The Vive and Vive 2 work with an optional wireless adapter, and the controllers use rechargeable li-on batteries. Not sure what you mean about Microsoft getting involved.

The Vives don't have a whole lot of relevance these days, though my Vive + Wireless Kit is the most solid untethered PCVR experience I've used. Neither do Microsoft's VR products, they have effectively exited the market with HP stopping production of Reverb.

Quest does wireless too but its a bit of a regression, using 5ghz instead of the Vive kit's 60ghz so less bandwidth, more compression, interference, latency and a painful initial setup getting all the network config and settings right.

I love VR poo poo, but I'm a realist. The market in it's current state kind of sucks. I'm not surprised people bounce off it, but these are the follies of any emergent tech. For all of the love of systems like the Commodore 64, quite a lot of them left buyers baffled and irritated, getting sent to the closet to collect dust and VR has the additional barrier of triggering headaches and nausea.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 5, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

Minesweeper is a bad puzzle game because it often requires guesswork. Like a good sudoku or a picross, all the information you need should be available.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Ski Free exists u dummies

That yeti loving sucks.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Beartaco posted:

Minesweeper is a bad puzzle game because it often requires guesswork. Like a good sudoku or a picross, all the information you need should be available.

You should play Tametsi. It's minesweeper, but with actual puzzle design. Great game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

The Vives don't have a whole lot of relevance these days

What does this even mean? Their marketing department isn't working hard enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

What does this even mean? Their marketing department isn't working hard enough?

Regular consumers don't buy them, they're sticking around because HTC managed to corner the arcade and other commercial markets pretty early and that comes with yummy support contracts. If you're a developer who wants to sell VR games, you're targeting Quest, probably PSVR2 and then PCVR gets a courtesy port maybe.