Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Is there any sort of good alternate front-end for discord? I have like 30 servers, but really only focus on a couple of channels per server, so I'd like something where I can just see the status of those channels, instead of whole servers (and not have to mute all the other channels on the server).

God, I so wish there was.

Discord as a service is actually very competent and I have naught but a few complaints and most of my thoughts would not be shifts in the service, but features suggestions and additions. Discord the client is pretty loving bad and I'd love more then anything for there to exist a desktop native app focused on functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jinnigan posted:

does anyone have any clues on how i can install whatsapp on my PC? hypothetically i could install it through the Windows Store but every single step of this process doesn't work. I can't click "install" on WhatsApp in the Windows Store. When I manually download it and install the package it hangs on "Installing required frameworks." Trying to do any of the recommended fixes such as "running WSReset" simply does nothing. WSReset is supposed to open a dosbox that does its thing for 10 seconds, then closes itself. instead mine opens up and its empty. 

what a loving hunk of junk. i wouldve just given up except that my gf has said it would be much nicer if we could talk over whatsapp instead of the instagram website so: here i a loving am. trying to do Windows Store poo poo, like a printer-carrying chump

Isn't there a web version of it?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

EoRaptor posted:

Isn't there a web version of it?

Yeah I used to use the web version, was fine https://web.whatsapp.com/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

winget says that the installer is at https://web.whatsapp.com/desktop/windows/release/x64/WhatsAppSetup.exe

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Toshimo posted:

Is there any sort of good alternate front-end for discord?

https://github.com/Discord-Client-Encyclopedia-Management/Discord3rdparties

One of these might be what you're looking for. AFAIK the problem / downside of most alt clients is that they're text only, but if you are just managing servers that shouldn't matter.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Im_Special posted:

You should check out Winaero Tweaker, it might be able to solve this, I know it has a lot of options to remove stupid bullshit.

https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/

/shill

Neat, thanks for posting that! The "Disable automatic folder type discovery" is something I've been trying to figure out how to do for years but never knew what it was called and whatever search terms I used never led anywhere useful.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
! An absolutely essential turn off, and also worth refreshing every once in a while as I find that the stupid little "Open window" that 3rd party programs like to use can also "discover" poo poo, and then change the view settings for everything aftwards...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just had a power outage and it seems to have interacted with this hidparse.sys update error in a way that’s bricked my PC. system restore points don’t work, the command prompt workaround doesn’t work. starting to panic here

e: going back to my earliest restore point got me in, but now i'm concerned this is just going to keep happening every time my PC tries to update. what a shitshow

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 30, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Make sure your backups work so if you have to reinstall it won't take too long.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

not sure if this is the right place to ask but - in the past few weeks i've seen my computer slowly come to a halt with 99% memory usage. If I look at what's actually using memory via processes, there's nothing using more than a few hundred megabytes, and most software/processes are well under 100. I have 32GB of ram, and at baseline startup I'm using maybe 30% of it. at one point I opened Resource Monitor and recall some windows process having thousands of hard faults/sec, but at present I don't recall which (i'm running it again though hoping to see).

I've also had an ongoing issue of being unable to update windows 10 to 22H2 - which causes immense slowdowns at shutdown as I think windows always tries to run the updates, and it takes half an hour for a simple reboot. every time i open windows updater it's either downloading or trying to install in the background. I'm thinking I'd like to fix that first in case it's tied up in this memory issue - is there a foolproof way to run updates?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Guitarchitect posted:

not sure if this is the right place to ask but - in the past few weeks i've seen my computer slowly come to a halt with 99% memory usage. If I look at what's actually using memory via processes, there's nothing using more than a few hundred megabytes, and most software/processes are well under 100. I have 32GB of ram, and at baseline startup I'm using maybe 30% of it. at one point I opened Resource Monitor and recall some windows process having thousands of hard faults/sec, but at present I don't recall which (i'm running it again though hoping to see).

I've also had an ongoing issue of being unable to update windows 10 to 22H2 - which causes immense slowdowns at shutdown as I think windows always tries to run the updates, and it takes half an hour for a simple reboot. every time i open windows updater it's either downloading or trying to install in the background. I'm thinking I'd like to fix that first in case it's tied up in this memory issue - is there a foolproof way to run updates?

I haven't had to deal with it in a bit but my go to for memory and CPU usage testing was Microsoft's Process Monitor. Gives you a lot more info than task manager

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Guitarchitect posted:

memory issues

Before trying updates, I would check that your memory hardware isn't faulty. Get memtest, it requires a USB stick that you can wipe to install it on. A complete test will take 30-60 minutes.

Your symptoms don't exactly sound like memory hardware problems, but memtest is quick and easy so I'd check to be sure.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Do a crystaldiskinfo check of your drives as well.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
You can try https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

Or

https://woshub.com/huge-memory-usage-non-paged-pool-windows/

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Klyith posted:

Before trying updates, I would check that your memory hardware isn't faulty. Get memtest, it requires a USB stick that you can wipe to install it on. A complete test will take 30-60 minutes.

Your symptoms don't exactly sound like memory hardware problems, but memtest is quick and easy so I'd check to be sure.

ran for about 8 hours, 12 or 13 tests, four passes, zero errors. so that's ruled out! I'll try crystaldiskinfo as well

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Welp - no RAM issues, no hard drive issues, DISM repair returned no issues, same with a sf /scannow, and deleting the SoftwareDistribution folders and re-downloading everything. Firing up in "diagnostic" or sparse startup mode and trying to run updates still doesn't work. I tried running the update manually but it returns an error that it can't determine the language to use. I used to be running BitDefender but i did a full uninstall of that, and also did an uninstall of Nvidia software as I'd heard that can cause update issues. I also made a new admin account and tried running updates from there - didn't work. Every time it tries to update it seems to consume all the memory I've got (currently 96% memory at "Installing - 0%").

I'll have to let the new account run for a while on its own to see if it repeats the behaviour - but is there anything i'm possibly missing? and is there a path to update using say, safe mode or at UEFI/USB Boot that I could try?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

In every instance I had to troubleshoot computers that jumped to full memory usage I just let them sit for a day. I never found a way to diagnose it so I let them sit for 24hrs and eventually they get past the windows update constipation. Somehow

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Do you guys have any recommendations for taking clips out of videos? I generally used VLC but for some reason now every time I try to clip it

a) Doesn't start when I hit record and
b) Audio is 5+ seconds off

I know I can "fix" the sync in settings but I'm looking for some options that just "work". I can record the window in OBS as a short term fix but I'd like something with a few more options.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Medullah posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for taking clips out of videos? I generally used VLC but for some reason now every time I try to clip it

I know I can "fix" the sync in settings but I'm looking for some options that just "work". I can record the window in OBS as a short term fix but I'd like something with a few more options.

Handbrake

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use Avidemux.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Handbrake

Handbrake was my go to for converting video, but did it change to add a GUI? I don't want to have to command line choose a time frame to clip, I want to watch the video and click "record" and "stop record" like I do in VLC.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I use Avidemux.

Looks simple enough, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In a pinch, the editor in the Photos app works okay for trimming.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Avidemux is lossless and very fast since it just trims the original stream, but the catch is that it can only split on keyframes in the original video so the start/end points may be slightly different to what you selected

YMMV if that's an issue, if not it's great

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Medullah posted:

Handbrake was my go to for converting video, but did it change to add a GUI? I don't want to have to command line choose a time frame to clip, I want to watch the video and click "record" and "stop record" like I do in VLC.

Handbrake has had a full GUI for at least a decade at this point. It's free, so I guess just try it and see if it does the thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Handbrake has had a full GUI for at least a decade at this point. It's free, so I guess just try it and see if it does the thing.

God damnit I'm old. I think I was using it pretty extensively to put videos on my iPod (non touch)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Medullah posted:

Lossless Cut to edit, then transcode with Handbrake. IME in Windows, Handbrake tends to be flaky when I ask complicated things of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Davinci Resolve is free

A bit overkill maybe but you can do more complex editing pretty easily and it renders the output directly there

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Lossless Cut to edit, then transcode with Handbrake. IME in Windows, Handbrake tends to be flaky when I ask complicated things of it.

Lossless Cut is this https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

repiv posted:

Avidemux is lossless and very fast since it just trims the original stream, but the catch is that it can only split on keyframes in the original video so the start/end points may be slightly different to what you selected

YMMV if that's an issue, if not it's great

This worked perfectly, thanks!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Explorer has a weird habit of reordering and adding new folders in the sidebar. The latest new additions are a game directory, my ubuntu folder which I haven't used in ages and a bunch of other random stuff.

Is there any way to control this? It would actually be really nice to just keep the most commonly used folders accessible there but instead stuff appears seemingly randomly and it kinda messes with my workflow.

E: apparently ansel is some kind of Geforce screenshot thingy which I have never used and therefore the folder is entirely empty. Whyyyyyy

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 5, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Explorer has a weird habit of reordering and adding new folders in the sidebar. The latest new additions are a game directory, my ubuntu folder which I haven't used in ages and a bunch of other random stuff.

Is there any way to control this? It would actually be really nice to just keep the most commonly used folders accessible there but instead stuff appears seemingly randomly and it kinda messes with my workflow.

E: apparently ansel is some kind of Geforce screenshot thingy which I have never used and therefore the folder is entirely empty. Whyyyyyy

Probably this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3469-turn-off-recent-items-frequent-places-windows-10-a.html

It's just a toggle, no fine grained control.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

View -> Options -> uncheck Show frequently used folders

I don't know about the Linux folder, that may have been added with the new updates to WSL2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, WSL2 adds that Linux folder. It doesn't bother me so I haven't put any energy into removing it from the list.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aside from what everyone else has said, you can keep frequently used folders pinned in "Quick Access" on the Explorer sidebar.

(not my screenshot)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, added a couple things to quick access as well and now it is much improved.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hey guys hope this is the right thread to ask.

I got a new PC last Summer which after 6 months hasn't exploded, so my dad wants to have my old PC. The latter started with Windows 8 and got the free Upgrade to Windows 10. I wanted to absolutely wipe it clean, since I have backuped every file I wish to keep to the new one and an external drive, I have too much crap installed on it and I'd prefer to make sure it runs better than now.

Is the Reset my PC option from the settings valid for that? I don't want to end up accidentally going back to Windows 8 or not being able to reinstall Windows because of a license problem/internet stuff. Should I try to get an installation image in an USB beforehand just in case?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Windows 10 reset my PC just puts a fresh version of Windows 10, it cannot possibly downgrade. It will keep the current Windows key.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

mobby_6kl posted:

Davinci Resolve is free

A bit overkill maybe but you can do more complex editing pretty easily and it renders the output directly there

Davinci resolve is amazingly easy to use. Use this

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tesseraction posted:

The Windows 10 reset my PC just puts a fresh version of Windows 10, it cannot possibly downgrade. It will keep the current Windows key.

Perfect! Will do it tomorrow then, gotta hope it won't take 48 hours to do so, the PC was pretty slow last time :sweatdrop: and the Windows Updates since I haven't turned it on since July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Perfect! Will do it tomorrow then, gotta hope it won't take 48 hours to do so, the PC was pretty slow last time :sweatdrop: and the Windows Updates since I haven't turned it on since July.

You could also make a windows 10 boot stick and install a fresh OS, using the windows 8 key when it asks - that may be faster than doing anything from inside the current OS?