Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kind of a specificquestions, but what is the exact bounds of what a secondary account can do to an island in Animal Crossing? My 20 month old has started understanding the connection between a controller and a character on the screen when he sees me playing games like Sonic, but those have enemies in them. I was thinking of letting him run around in Animal Crossing on his own character, but I don't want him to accidentally button mash and destroy a bunch of stuff. If I don't give him any tools is the worst that can happen is that he picks the flowers off some plants and shakes some trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That sounds like a research paper.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be more concerned about the 20 month old destroying the controller than my Animal Crossing save lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I'd be more concerned about the 20 month old destroying the controller than my Animal Crossing save lol

Nah he's a very gentle boy. He's played Sonic a bit and ran around in circles til he got bored and then handed me back the controller.

This isn't like a thing I do a lot, I'm just encouraging him to do a lot of different things and making a connection from a physical object to a screen is good for his development.

My concern is mostly that he's pretty good at things and if he figures out how to pull flowers out of the ground he'd probably raze my fields just to watch the flowers pop out

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 4, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rutibex posted:

My friend has literally had to purchase stick protectors (cute little panda faces) and a controller cover so that when her 11-month-old gets their hands on it, they don't chew it apart.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Morpheus posted:

My friend has literally had to purchase stick protectors (cute little panda faces) and a controller cover so that when her 11-month-old gets their hands on it, they don't chew it apart.

11 and 18 is worlds apart though.

For real I don’t know about Animal Crossing, I’m sure he couldn’t destroy much and if he did, does it matter?

I wonder if a smash stage on a timer would be fun? You could set up a lifeless 2nd player and then just have him interact on the map. They’re technically virtual action figures. But maybe you don’t want to instill “violence” just yet?

AC does seem to be ideal in the sense it’s a safe space. Maybe a tweaked Minecraft map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

11 and 18 is worlds apart though.

For real I don’t know about Animal Crossing, I’m sure he couldn’t destroy much and if he did, does it matter?

I wonder if a smash stage on a timer would be fun? You could set up a lifeless 2nd player and then just have him interact on the map. They’re technically virtual action figures. But maybe you don’t want to instill “violence” just yet?

AC does seem to be ideal in the sense it’s a safe space. Maybe a tweaked Minecraft map.

Listen, I can't deal with a toddler that can wavedash out of bathtime. (Not a bad idea, thanks, but as you said something nonviolent is more what we're looking for. An empty map might not be bad)

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 4, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don’t know how Minecraft sets itself on console but give them a creative seeded map and there should be no enemies or at least they can’t hurt you. Virtual blocks!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Waffle! posted:

Ah... The eternal debate of subs vs dubs continues.

Everyone who plays Nintendo is a sub. Hth

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Nah he's a very gentle boy. He's played Sonic a bit and ran around in circles til he got bored and then handed me back the controller.

This isn't like a thing I do a lot, I'm just encouraging him to do a lot of different things and making a connection from a physical object to a screen is good for his development.

My concern is mostly that he's pretty good at things and if he figures out how to pull flowers out of the ground he'd probably raze my fields just to watch the flowers pop out

Can I borrow your toddler, my island is overrun with flowers and I wish there was a lawnmower or something I could use to just mass cull them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Can I borrow your toddler, my island is overrun with flowers and I wish there was a lawnmower or something I could use to just mass cull them.

:siren: do not let strange goons borrow your toddler and take them to their islands :siren:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Fiances right joycon has stopped being automatically paired to the switch when its connected despite working fine wirelessly so its my first experience with nintendos repair support. It seems like the original switch joycons are just really shoddily made because shes had it less rime than i had the OLED and ive never had any weird issues.

I’ve had the issue with one of my right joycons, I usually have good luck just disconnecting the controller completely and then pairing it again. Some times it will not connect when slotted into the console, some times it will not connect wirelessly, but both issues seem to be resolved by disconnecting and pairing again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the answer to this question is always "the language you speak" unless it's a) a replay b) you get enjoyment out of hearing a language you can't understand

:pwn:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so like, are there any good gauntlet legends-type games for switch? what is that genre even called? arcadish, co-op, fantasy, magical, quest-type, pseudo-rpg games for lack of a better name. and if not for switch, i'm open to ps and pc games as well. figured they'd be more likely to appear on switch, if anywhere.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I haven’t played it but I think people like Minecraft Dungeons?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

abelwingnut posted:

so like, are there any good gauntlet legends-type games for switch? what is that genre even called? arcadish, co-op, fantasy, magical, quest-type, pseudo-rpg games for lack of a better name. and if not for switch, i'm open to ps and pc games as well. figured they'd be more likely to appear on switch, if anywhere.

Diablo 3's seasons, or Adventure Mode. Minecraft Dungeons is cute if you like the style, but doesn't have the depth or replayability of D3 imo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only game I've ever bothered to play in another language (where I had the option to change it) is Metro 2033 on Ranger Hardcore

The Russian VAs weren't really any better than Steve Blum's bad accent

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Waffle! posted:

Diablo 3's seasons, or Adventure Mode. Minecraft Dungeons is cute if you like the style, but doesn't have the depth or replayability of D3 imo.

Yeah Diablo 3 is great for this, I thought I burned out on that game years ago but I got the Switch port on recent sale and it still slaps.

Thread darling Hades is great as well although if you want co-op then look elsewhere.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The only time i remember going out of my way to change the language to something else was sekiro because i couldnt take the english dub seriously

Soul Calibur II. The lines were funny at first but get real obnoxious eventually. Xianghua's "just kidding!" comes to mind. Plus, pretty sure nightmare's japanese voice actor is the voice of Link from OoT.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RBA Starblade posted:

The only game I've ever bothered to play in another language (where I had the option to change it) is Metro 2033 on Ranger Hardcore

The Russian VAs weren't really any better than Steve Blum's bad accent

I played Pokemon X in French, to practice. The games take place in PokeFrance, so it fits. The French localization for X and Y is really top notch! I'd go so far as to call it the definitive language. The French localization team really poured a lot of love and effort into it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm a big fan of the Netflix anime model where the subtitles are a more literal translation of the original script wholly divorced from the dubbed script.

Not sure if that appeals to literally anyone else but it's the best of both worlds to me.

Netflix-original anime in my experience has really terrible subtitles. like, broken English, riddled with errors, borderline incomprehensible at times. when they got the last Evangelion movie and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure the translation quality for those instantly went down the drain

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

I genuinely believe Children of Morta is more of a Gauntlet-like than a Diablo-like. Check it out. It even does local co-op!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

It common in anime but extremely rare in games, the only series that has separate subs for the eng and Japanese dubs is probably Yakuza and only recently.

This poo poo is pretty common in games that get a German localization. Playing through XBC2 and now XBC3 with German subs and English voices on is a trip. It's like two worlds colliding.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I genuinely believe Children of Morta is more of a Gauntlet-like than a Diablo-like. Check it out. It even does local co-op!

Yes! I knew I was forgetting one. Children of Morta is good.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Any recommendations for an SD card?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

Any recommendations for an SD card?

i think best buy announced a deal yesterday where you got a 256gb sd card + 1yr of nintendo online family edition for $50. maybe that works for you?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/offerbuilder/550612

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 4, 2023

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That's perfect thanks!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Kind of a specificquestions, but what is the exact bounds of what a secondary account can do to an island in Animal Crossing? My 20 month old has started understanding the connection between a controller and a character on the screen when he sees me playing games like Sonic, but those have enemies in them. I was thinking of letting him run around in Animal Crossing on his own character, but I don't want him to accidentally button mash and destroy a bunch of stuff. If I don't give him any tools is the worst that can happen is that he picks the flowers off some plants and shakes some trees?

They can pick up your outdoor furniture too, but your inventory is pretty small. Maybe just don't leave any rares out. It's probably the least griefable AC, in that most things are easily replaced, and tools break, so if a minor clear-cutting is part of your island's story, not the hugest deal

There are also other Nook Miles islands to fish and dig up Gyroids on, which can be quite cool

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's still really stupid Nintendo forces everyone on the same Switch to share an island, and this is just another good reason they should make that optional.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Have you ever played an Animal Crossing game? Lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

American McGay posted:

Have you ever played an Animal Crossing game? Lol

Yes...? Doesn't make it not bullshit, even if it's how it's been for some franchise entries.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know this is kotaku, but is this as uncomfortable as this makes this sound?

https://kotaku.com/sports-story-golf-dev-room-how-find-rpg-nintendo-switch-1849950373

Also, so that is where the current thread title comes from.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I know this is kotaku, but is this as uncomfortable as this makes this sound?

https://kotaku.com/sports-story-golf-dev-room-how-find-rpg-nintendo-switch-1849950373

Also, so that is where the current thread title comes from.

Who knows, but, it would explain Sports Story. In-universe, GALF is a great foil for a poorly managed game development studio

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My son starting playing switch at around 3 or 4 years old, he is 7 now. We are on our 3rd console. The og stopped reading SD cards and the lite stopped charging. We got the OLED for Xmas this year from Santa. Joycons have been destroyed on a fairly consistent basis with drift, not working at all, and the grips completely off.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's still really stupid Nintendo forces everyone on the same Switch to share an island, and this is just another good reason they should make that optional.

:pwn:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

A Concrete Divider posted:

My son starting playing switch at around 3 or 4 years old, he is 7 now. We are on our 3rd console. The og stopped reading SD cards and the lite stopped charging. We got the OLED for Xmas this year from Santa. Joycons have been destroyed on a fairly consistent basis with drift, not working at all, and the grips completely off.

after the second switch i would replace the kid instead 😈

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

A Concrete Divider posted:

That’s too bad, Nintendo handhelds used to be pretty hardy I still have my original working Gameboy pocket somewhere. The last one that could stand up to a child’s abuse is probably the original 2DS. Maybe try giving them that one?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

If you’ve got a young kid that’s interested in games on your switch and want to give them a simple little sandbox to play around in where they can’t die, fail, or mess up anything—Untitled Goose Game is fantastic.

Just running around honking and causing chaos, two toddler thumbs up.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Throwing in a word for Undermine as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:siren: do not let strange goons borrow your toddler and take them to their islands :siren:
Lol