Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SplitSoul posted:

Hate to be the one to tell you, but there won't be a 2024.

Oh thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

what do you call a fascist with a rash

A rashy fashy, duh.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

speng31b posted:

what do you call a fascist with a rash

a croatian

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BMPT_Defender/status/1597672972407697408?t=5Fl3tRBtZJCySBHqQe7MBw&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

China shaking in their boots at SEATO 2.0

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I want to see Bandera's Mussolini impression.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

btw Eva Bartlett talks to Donbas residents like daily and posts about it online for all to see

Quick google shows her Wikipedia page claiming she's a Syrian war conspiracy theorist so I'm going to assume she's right about everything since that seems to be the go-to smear for journalists the state dept doesn't like.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

lmao he'd try pounding his chest and his ribcage would instantly cave in.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I think Zizek's point is that Nazi Germany was unusual even among fascist regimes historically in that it was more geopolitically revisionist than the other regimes he named. There wasn't just a drive to build an empire; there was also the "payback for Versailles" fervor helping to fuel it. I don't think Zizek made that point particularly well, but there is truth to it.

In what way was fascist Italy less geopolitically revisionist than nazi Germany? Mussolini came to power in part because of Italy's short shrift at Versailles. He clearly spoke about ending British control of Gibraltar and the Suez, as well as empire building in the Horn.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lmfao

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Honest Thief posted:

who never got called a fascist in a heated debated throw the first stone

heated debater moment

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

hahahahahaha

well done

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Zizek started writing for Project Syndicate in 2022 basically exclusively about U/R War and from what I can tell is really pissed off at perceived pro-Russian sentiment among the left, basically that quote from a few pages ago

also an article about wartime orgies in Ukraine becuase why not

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Claiming to be a Marxist while making CIA propaganda? Maybe Tucker is right and the CIA ARE cultural Marxists.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

In what way was fascist Italy less geopolitically revisionist than nazi Germany? Mussolini came to power in part because of Italy's short shrift at Versailles. He clearly spoke about ending British control of Gibraltar and the Suez, as well as empire building in the Horn.

It doesn't seem to me like Mussolini at least initially had any illusions about Italy becoming the dominant power in Europe. His goal, as others have said here, was for Italy to become a major imperial power like the rest of the Western European nations. I admit I could be completely wrong on that take; my knowledge of Mussolini's fascism isn't the most complete. But when I say that Hitler was geopolitically revisionist, I'm referring to the fact that he didn't just want Germany to be a great power within the existing international order; he wanted to completely upend the international order and dominate the world. Thousand Year Reich and all that.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Majorian posted:

It doesn't seem to me like Mussolini at least initially had any illusions about Italy becoming the dominant power in Europe. His goal, as others have said here, was for Italy to become a major imperial power like the rest of the Western European nations. I admit I could be completely wrong on that take; my knowledge of Mussolini's fascism isn't the most complete. But when I say that Hitler was geopolitically revisionist, I'm referring to the fact that he didn't just want Germany to be a great power within the existing international order; he wanted to completely upend the international order and dominate the world. Thousand Year Reich and all that.

Yeah - there's a grain of truth in the assertion some leftists make that the nazis are uniquely reviled for invading white people, but being too invested in this makes you lose sight of the fact that destroying France and Russia (in spite of the latter's flexible whiteness) makes you more frightening to other great powers than destroying Ethiopia, for material and balance of power reasons that go beyond racism.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Arguably Italian and German fascism came from very much the same place, but it is simply that Italy never materially had the resources to make it to the “big leagues.” Also, with almost all Italians in Europe already being part of Italy, it simply didn’t have the same pull.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

its like watching Man on the Moon. flawless.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Arguably Italian and German fascism came from very much the same place, but it is simply that Italy never materially had the resources to make it to the “big leagues.” Also, with almost all Italians in Europe already being part of Italy, it simply didn’t have the same pull.

Yeah, the ideological goals always tail the material conditions. Francoist Spain, Salazarist Portugal, (arguably) Peronist Argentina, etc, weren't revisionist regimes on a geopolitical level because let's face it, they never had the power to revise the international order in which they existed. They probably would have been revisionist if they had the power to upend things quite a bit more.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
We call them Bandera Smoothies.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Глава Мариуполя Константин Иващенко posted:

In the last week of last year 2,170 private homes were connected to utilities

During the period from December 23 to 30, 1,129 private homes were connected to electricity and 1,041 individual houses were supplied with gas. So, we entered the new year 2023 with the following numbers:

🏠 37 328 or 92,34% of all Mariupol housing estates were connected to electricity;
🏢 total number of apartment buildings connected to electricity - 1 583 or 84,60% of all apartment buildings;
🏠 total number of apartment houses connected to gas supply - 19 427 or 62,35% of all apartment houses;
🏢 total number of apartment buildings connected to gas supply - 696, which is 38.22% of all apartment buildings in the city.

Works on achievement of 100% indicators of connection of the housing stock to utilities continue during the holidays.
(from t.me/glavamariupol/1947, via tgsa)

Status update on Mariupol's utilities from Russian mayor. Gas supply is a bit spotty but electricity situation is better.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm going to apologies again, since we're still on this topic. I did mean it the first time, but I didn't try to make it sound more sincere since I didn't realize how much I've hurt you.

But from my point of view my this still doesn't explain much to me. Wilhelm was also revisionist then. He wanted a colonial empire for germany like other european empires, he said that he didn't want to upset the existing world order but those were only words. Germany wanting colonial empire would naturally threaten the British and the existing world order at the time, and it was one of the reasons that World War 1 happened the way it did.

I do agree that the thousand year reich is more extreme than that.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Majorian posted:

Yeah, the ideological goals always tail the material conditions. Francoist Spain, Salazarist Portugal, (arguably) Peronist Argentina, etc, weren't revisionist regimes on a geopolitical level because let's face it, they never had the power to revise the international order in which they existed. They probably would have been revisionist if they had the power to upend things quite a bit more.

I don't think Germany ever really had that power either. I also think that throwing the British out of Gibraltar and Suez would have had a massive effect on the international order of the 30s, especially if followed through by turning the Med into an Italian stronghold. Getting Franco to take Gibraltar and the Egyptians to nationalize the canal are far more realistic goals than Germany ruling an empire stretching to the Urals and arguably would have more impact on geopolitics.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

I'm going to apologies again, since we're still on this topic. I did mean it the first time, but I didn't try to make it sound more sincere since I didn't realize how much I've hurt you.

Thank you, I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you still want to post here. You contribute a lot to this thread.

quote:

But from my point of view my this still doesn't explain much to me. Wilhelm was also revisionist then. He wanted a colonial empire for germany like other european empires, he said that he didn't want to upset the existing world order but those were only words. Germany wanting colonial empire would naturally threaten the British and the existing world order at the time, and it was one of the reasons that World War 1 happened the way it did.

I actually do think Wilhelm II was a revisionist leader. As you yourself have said here, one of his big aspirations was to revise the international order and make Germany the dominant power in Europe, as opposed to just "first among equals," which is closer to what Bismarck had sought. That's part of the reason why the two of them butted heads and why Bismarck finally got put out to pasture. Wilhelmine Germany probably shouldn't be described as "fascist," but there are certainly a lot of roots of German fascism to be found there.

Weka posted:

I don't think Germany ever really had that power either.

True, but that's a little more obvious in retrospect, at least IMO.

quote:

I also think that throwing the British out of Gibraltar and Suez would have had a massive effect on the international order of the 30s, especially if followed through by turning the Med into an Italian stronghold. Getting Franco to take Gibraltar and the Egyptians to nationalize the canal are far more realistic goals than Germany ruling an empire stretching to the Urals and arguably would have more impact on geopolitics.

Possibly, but even so, those outcomes probably wouldn't have changed the existing multipolar order into a unipolar one, with Spain/Portugal/whatever at the top.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia is fully mobilized and can't even hold a bake sale

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

I would say Peron was different in that he largely struggled with the existing domestic order in Argentina. Also, you could say while Portugal couldn’t expand his empire, Portuguese society was thrown into a comparable struggle to retain what it happen complete with mobilization.

I don’t think the Italians really had a shot against the British and eventually British naval power would tell. The Italians didn’t last long on their own in North Africa.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ardennes posted:

I don’t think the Italians really had a shot against the British and eventually British naval power would tell. The Italians didn’t last long on their own in North Africa.

stupid cunts used all their water for the pasta

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

excellent

Weka
May 5, 2019

Majorian posted:

True, but that's a little more obvious in retrospect, at least IMO.

There's hundreds of years of Anglo history of not allowing someone to dominate the continent, so I guess the only thing that would have made it doubtful is whether America would continue that tradition.

quote:

Possibly, but even so, those outcomes probably wouldn't have changed the existing multipolar order into a unipolar one, with Spain/Portugal/whatever at the top.

Oh yeah I'm not saying that, but WW2 was never going to result in a unipolar world. I'm just saying Italy wanted to, and maybe could have with a few things going different, significantly changed the then world order.

Anyway, I'm just glad we have peace in the war thread.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1610721475782115336

of course they can't show you those leaflets, for a good reason I assume.

They can however show you

Харківська обласна прокуратура posted:

(from t.me/prokuratura_kharkiv/7384, via tgsa)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

censoring the sickle and hammer as if it's a symbol of chaos that would corrupt innocent minds

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
jesus christ

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
everytime I see the crazy social political bustdowns like this, its funny that russia still does them better in that you can see what nonsense they are arresting them over

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Danann posted:

censoring the sickle and hammer as if it's a symbol of chaos that would corrupt innocent minds

"S*ckle" and "h*mmer," please. We don't want to trigger anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

"Suckle" my "h*mmer," please.

hehe