Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The Taxman posted:

I don't think Tony Khan should/will have any heat for Kenny, but it's definitely his best singles match in years

he probably loved it as much as we did and is excited to have them potentially wrestle again at Forbidden Door 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Taxman posted:

I don't think Tony Khan should/will have any heat for Kenny, but it's definitely his best singles match in years

It was a truly wonderful match, no doubt. The part baffling me is the idea that Tony Khan could be disappointed in the work rate Kenny produced for him as champion and came back to produce in the best of seven series.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

That TMDK bit was funny, my friend and I started clapping the second Zack put on the shirt.

Mad Mikey for 6 man champ

I am very glad that Zack has lads around him, even if he is deprived of his best guy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

I am very glad that Zack has lads around him, even if he is deprived of his best guy.

Best part is that Zack is the undeniable ace of the faction, hopefully this gets him up to that Ospreay/Naito/Tana/Okada level

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If there's any issues bringing Tito back for big preview tags, they can always bring in legacy TMDK member Hartley Jackson through their relationship with GLEAT, he's a big bruiser and already lives in Japan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Best part is that Zack is the undeniable ace of the faction, hopefully this gets him up to that Ospreay/Naito/Tana/Okada level

I think that's a very silly opinion, nobody can escape the shadow of MAD MIKEY

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Rarity posted:

And it's a big boost to TMDK. While JONAH was able to challenge Okada, he was very much a Monster of the Week for Okada to overcome. Zack being the leader elevates them as there's now a proper upper-mid-tier guy leading the stable. It's a perfect fit.

And the inevitable TMDK vs United Empire (Ospreay+Aussie Open) match will be incredible

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

I think that's a very silly opinion, nobody can escape the shadow of MAD MIKEY

My household was very upset Mikey didn't come out with his half of the EPW tag titles, he's dead to us now, Dropped beneath Mikey Broderick in the TMDK Mikey Rankings

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

it sucks cuz I thought Jonah was really cool but hopefully tmdk will be like a 5-6-7 dude force to contend with at some point. I assume Zsigmondy which is zsj autocorrected has had encounters with tmdk before? or is it a cold ask and if so they should see what :wato: is up to

E: by encounters I mean somewhere in GLEAT or revpro or whatever

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

baka fwocka fwame posted:

I assume Zsigmondy which is zsj autocorrected has had encounters with tmdk before?

NOAH

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I finished WK an hour ago and it was great. I agree that the undercard felt rushed like the pre-two night ones and I'd have liked everything prior to the NEVER match to have at least five more minutes, but so it goes. I could have handled another hour but that's probably less marketable. Main and semi-main were phenomenal, and unlike most other PPVs I've watched lately I didn't get at all burned out or sleepy by the end.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

baka fwocka fwame posted:

it sucks cuz I thought Jonah was really cool but hopefully tmdk will be like a 5-6-7 dude force to contend with at some point. I assume Zsigmondy which is zsj autocorrected has had encounters with tmdk before? or is it a cold ask and if so they should see what :wato: is up to

Yes, they were allies when Zack was a NOAH regular in 2014

Also I just want to say that this match happened in 2014 NOAH: FUNAKI, Scotty 2 Hotty & Super Crazy defeat Pesadilla, Yoshinari Ogawa & Zack Sabre Jr.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

And it's a big boost to TMDK. While JONAH was able to challenge Okada, he was very much a Monster of the Week for Okada to overcome. Zack being the leader elevates them as there's now a proper upper-mid-tier guy leading the stable. It's a perfect fit.

I wonder if there's plans for Robbie to make the jump from Chaos to give them a junior

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope Bad Dude returns as a regular in NJPW

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Was thinking of watching New Year Dash tonight since I have the sub for a month. Do they announce a card beforehand or no?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

1glitch0 posted:

Was thinking of watching New Year Dash tonight since I have the sub for a month. Do they announce a card beforehand or no?

Only match announced is the KOPW title match with the 4 last guys from the Ranbo yesterday, everything else is a surprise until the music starts playing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SG Bamboo posted:

Only match announced is the KOPW title match with the 4 last guys from the Ranbo yesterday, everything else is a surprise until the music starts playing.

Okay, cool! Thanks!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

The joy of Dash is the surprises. Although be prepared for some multiman tags

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

It seems like the plan is for Mercedes to win the Women's championship next month. If that's the case, I hope KAIRI can sneak in one more defense before then. It would be really lovely if the inaugural champion only had one defense, a sub 10 minute match, even if it's at Wrestle Kingdom.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Power Windows posted:

It seems like the plan is for Mercedes to win the Women's championship next month. If that's the case, I hope KAIRI can sneak in one more defense before then. It would be really lovely if the inaugural champion only had one defense, a sub 10 minute match, even if it's at Wrestle Kingdom.

I still think it's nuts to expect Mercedes to do a 100,000 dollar difference in the gate and PPV buys, but we'll see.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was genuinely surprised Kenny won. Great show even though the main was an absolute nothing for me.

NJPW good. :)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

even though the main was an absolute nothing for me.

I always find this sort of thing fascinating, that it did nothing for you but I thought everything past the 15 minute call was absolutely perfect.

Although I also got nothing from Ospreay/OC which some had as their MOTY so :shrug:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

For once, Foochs and I are in complete agreement about NJPW lol. Main event was probably my least favourite part of the show. I was pretty predisposed to not enjoy it because I was irritated about the poo poo build tbh.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i haven't watched the main and somehow i haven't been spoiled on who won. i should probably stop reading this thread until i've watched it...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

just a couple-a-fellas standing around shrugging. stuff isn't good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling is at its core subjective for what people will take away from it and new japan establishes its position as King Of Sports by having something for everyone

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

wrestling is at its core subjective for what people will take away from it and new japan establishes its position as King Of Sports by having something for everyone

Except the people who derive joy from seeing Tetsuya Naito achieve his dreams without it being cruelly taken away from him

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Except the people who derive joy from seeing Tetsuya Naito achieve his dreams without it being cruelly taken away from him

Next year. I believe.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

He already lost to Mutoh twice, what more do you people want

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

they can suffer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JOHN CENA posted:

they can suffer.

And that is exactly what Naito fans want

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

For once, Foochs and I are in complete agreement about NJPW lol. Main event was probably my least favourite part of the show. I was pretty predisposed to not enjoy it because I was irritated about the poo poo build tbh.

I feel like NJPW's treatment of Okada is basically prime Cena WWE but with better matches. Like, literally every other person to hold the title is just a belt pillow (which I understand is true of pretty much any real Ace) but far more importantly, the booking makes it paaaaaainfully obvious when Okada is gonna win the belt back. It's clearly good business, and I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, it just leaves me cold.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Such people do not exist, stop kidding yourself

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If Naito was too successful he would no longer need my love and support

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

If Naito was too successful he would no longer need my love and support

I think that’s definitely part of why he (and Desperado) are so popular tbh. I’d rather not support the franchise player.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I feel like NJPW's treatment of Okada is basically prime Cena WWE but with better matches. Like, literally every other person to hold the title is just a belt pillow (which I understand is true of pretty much any real Ace) but far more importantly, the booking makes it paaaaaainfully obvious when Okada is gonna win the belt back. It's clearly good business, and I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, it just leaves me cold.

This is literally the first time okada has beaten Jay in Japan

Jay has actually beaten Okada on the 4th of January at the dome. Only tanahashi has done that since he returned from excursion.

Okada for a Japanese top star is pretty giving

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 5, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In addition to that ^, Jay White came back from his excursion in time for Wrestle Kingdom 12 in 2018, where he got beaten by Tanahashi in an IWGP IC Title (RIP) match. 12 months later, at WK13, he beat Okada.

I don't know what the English commentary was talking about, but the Japanese commentary spent a lot of time talking about how Okada just doesn't match up well against Jay White, and how Jay just seems a step ahead of him every time, including how frequently Rainmaker attempts get countered with a Blade Runner. They also made a big point about how Okada had only ever beaten Jay White once before.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 5, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Similar for most of the match, but at the end of the match they did start to say that Jay was out of options it seemed and that Okada was inevitable which is what my general feeling was, although maybe for some it isn't what they want to hear.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fun show, Omega/Ospreay was the best match but I liked the main event too. Crowd noise is what made it as the cheering added to it and the rainmaker reverse was great as always

President Obari is the true hero of the show. This was a breezy show thanks to a cheering crowd so thanks Obari!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jeez Will

https://mobile.twitter.com/WillOspreay/status/1610873844058951680