Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Actually now unclear to the clerk what should happen, the votes-after-0:00 should not have happened under neutral no party control rules?

NOTES BEING PAST AROUND

NO RULES POINT OF ORDER YOUR HONOR I OBJECT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please refer this to whatever voter fraud committee gets made for the CFC thanks in advance

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

STOP THE COUNT

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Clerk speaking: "On this vote, the Yays are 216 the Nays are 214 accordingly..."

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Laaaaaame

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My god, it's a Benoit Blanc congressional rules mystery!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Cowards.

So, same poo poo show tomorrow barring some incredible whipping?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I declare a mistrial

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Kammat posted:

Cowards.

So, same poo poo show tomorrow barring some incredible whipping?

yes

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Yes but under the rules of bird law...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Clerk is a loving coward

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

That should NOT have happened, but the House staff knows what side is gonna be in charge for the next two years and doesn't want to piss everyone off.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

We need Trump's tweets now more than ever

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Charliegrs posted:

Between McCarthy, Scalise, Jordan, Biggs, and Donalds who would the house Dems "prefer"? I mean I know they are all terrible but the least terrible from the Dem perspective is probably McCarthy right?

McCarthy is probably the least far right on technicality, but they were all 2020 electoral college objectors. There's no reason to try and sway it unless Democrats can get concessions, which you would imagine would mean the speaker was either McCarthy or some moderate.

(and I think the bar is high enough for Republicans offering any concessions that there would be a lot of them, but that also means concessions are less likely)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

quote:

Republicans Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Matt Gaetz (Fla.) and Bob Good (Va.) — all anti-McCarthy holdouts — voted with Democrats to keep the session going.

Matt Gaetz (R-Fla) welcome to the resistance

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Between McCarthy, Scalise, Jordan, Biggs, and Donalds who would the house Dems "prefer"? I mean I know they are all terrible but the least terrible from the Dem perspective is probably McCarthy right?

McCarthy and Scalise are less likely to do something ridiculous like actually blocking the debt ceiling. That's about all I can say for them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I mean, a motion to adjourn is always in order, so if this one failed on a technicality someone could just call a new one. It would be funny to make them do it, but the staff want to sleep too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Boooo! I wanted another failure for the Repubs and Kevin

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Per Jake Tapper, McCarthy had his guys whip hard for Yeys because someone was going to nominate Scalise, lol

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

The Dems are rooting for chaos atm which is true in whatever situation. If McCarthy wins he'll be a humbled and ineffective leader, Jordan's a sack of scandals, and Donalds is a Black Matt Walsh who is coasting on some viral moments of him smartly (not really) owning libs while in fact just saying dumb bullshit. There really isn't anyone on the table who is going to be a strong leader.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Per Jake Tapper, McCarthy had his guys whip hard for Yeys because someone was going to nominate Scalise, lol

So now we know what's on the agenda for tomorrow then :haw:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Charliegrs posted:

From a cynical standpoint:
McCarthy is the one most likely to be dumb as poo poo and say crap that plays bad in the news while also not doing poo poo like blocking the debt ceiling so of those 5 yes. Biggs, Jordan and Donalds would probably piss off the dem base the most which is good for fundraising and turnout.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1610805223706042369?t=6UvkdeYbNI9ZlsaXFag_-Q&s=19

I mean, Costas is basically saying here that the Republicans are banking on a couple of Democrats voting present or not showing up because Gaetz + Boebert and any 3 others are enough to keep him from winning

The most hilarious thing about this is that about the only reason all of this is happening is that McCarthy is too loving stupid to not tell everyone that he'd do anything to be Speaker. With so many grifters and con men in the caucus there was no way he wasn't going to get fleeced once they smelt that beautiful easy mark scent. Which naturally led to an all out frenzy as more and more sharks smelled the blood in the water.

If nobody wants the job, except one guy it's obvious to everyone that concessions can be gained. So the normal horse trading was already amplified. However, McCarthy then started caving to crazy demands. And once you start negotiating like an addict looking for a fix, you're going to lose everything. Right now we're down to about the title and the copper wiring in the office's walls left. Normal circumstances, he probably would be Speaker. But then his buddies started begging someone, anyone, to tell them what they had to give up so this could all be over.

Now there is absolutely no incentive to back down. The insanity crew is getting all their concessions no matter who wins at this point. At the same time McCarthy is both too pathetic to follow, and his head is the last thing of value left to take from him.

Maybe McCarthy's pals can scrounge up something to give to enough outside interests that enough of the "NO" votes are placated. However, it's looking more and more likely that the only way he becomes Speaker is to make a deal with Jeffries. It's unlikely, but about the only things he has left to give are things that no Republican wants but Democrats might. No matter what happens though, McCarthy is the most pathetic politician in the US now. Letting him drink himself into oblivion from his back bencher office might even be the kinder move than making him keep all his promises and become the least powerful and least respected Speaker in history. A Speaker that goes down in history for being so notably pathetic that theses in multiple fields are written about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

Now there is absolutely no incentive to back down. The insanity crew is getting all their concessions no matter who wins at this point. At the same time McCarthy is both too pathetic to follow, and his head is the last thing of value left to take from him.

Also, let's not forget, with all these concessions the job would be worthless. He'd be speaker for a day then someone would call a no-confidence vote because he dared to approve the payment of Social Security checks or some poo poo.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
If we turned off heat to the building do you think we could get them to fight each other?

What about a repeat of Jan 6th?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1610677777853808640

Since there's no Speaker and no rules, Laura Loomer has decided to try and infiltrate the House and see how long it takes before anyone realizes she lost her congressional primary and kicks her the gently caress out :v:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1610805223706042369?t=6UvkdeYbNI9ZlsaXFag_-Q&s=19

I mean, Costas is basically saying here that the Republicans are banking on a couple of Democrats voting present or not showing up because Gaetz + Boebert and any 3 others are enough to keep him from winning

why hadn't that been done already??

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1610677777853808640

Since there's no Speaker and no rules, Laura Loomer has decided to try and infiltrate the House and see how long it takes before anyone realizes she lost her congressional primary and kicks her the gently caress out :v:

lmao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doctor Teeth posted:

He's already caved on everything (to the point where other people are begging McCarthy in public to stop giving in to demands immediately) and now they are making up new crazier demands that he can't fulfill because they don't want to look like they made a deal with him. And McCarthy is agreeing to talk about these new crazy deals like putting Lauren Boebert ahead of 20+ other people to head the committee she wants or giving them tens of millions of dollars to create a committee to investigate the January 6th Committee.

There are 4-5 of them that just don't want a deal period because the point is to look like you stood up to the man and bravely went down fighting. So, they just keep making new demands, McCarthy folds, they don't vote for him, and they make new demands.

Marjorie Taylor Greene is apparently the only one that is a bad negotiator and accepted Kevin's first round of bribes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In MTG's defense, she was one of the first people to make a stupidass deal with McCarthy, so she had good reason to not expect him to be willing to sell his own kidney if it would make her happy. I just can't tell if she is just sticking to the deal because that's how she rolls or she's terrified that nobody else is dumb enough to give her what she already got so this motherfuck just has to win.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Doctor Teeth posted:

I mean they did some of it, MTG is supporting McCarthy for committee assignments.

But the people who just want the rule changes probably aren't enough to elect a speaker, and I don't think the Gaetz cohort actually have demands as opposed to loving things up because they can.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Supreme Court already struck down term limits as unconstitutional in the 90's when Gingrich passed them.

They are just making weirder and more extreme demands of McCarthy and he keeps accepting them.

One or two of the people holding out must be trying to end this while saving face or getting a committee spot. Otherwise, this is a weird thing to agree to change your vote for.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610844016907542532

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone at WaPo is hitting the bong in their freshman dorm and writing headlines.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1610843794651357184

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Supreme Court already struck down term limits as unconstitutional in the 90's when Gingrich passed them.

They are just making weirder and more extreme demands of McCarthy and he keeps accepting them.

One or two of the people holding out must be trying to end this while saving face or getting a committee spot. Otherwise, this is a weird thing to agree to change your vote for.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610844016907542532

"Every Representative, a Speaker of the House!"

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
A one-person vote of no-confidence, guaran-fuckin-teeing every political reporter in America rushes to write the headline "REP. DICKHEAD CALLS FOR NEW SPEAKER." This concession made in abject surrender to people who have proven to be malignant narcissists who cannot shut the gently caress up.

this sounds like perhaps the greatest idea in political history

wonder why he ever opposed it

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm starting to get the feeling that y'all don't like this McCarthy feller.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
US House Speaker Election TVIV: Kevin Will Conditionally gently caress Himself

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So how many more rounds before he agrees to refer to every other Republican rep as only Master or Mistress?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

US House Speaker Election TVIV: Kevin Will Continually gently caress Himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Someone's going to mess around just long enough for Liz Truss to be named the next Speaker.

As a nation, we might even deserve that.