Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Chamale posted:

In Subnautica, I love piloting a submarine and also leaving the pilot's seat to walk around the ship and even put out fires. Are there any other games with more of that? I played Space Engineers years ago, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Check out Scavenger SV-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

tildes posted:

Mindustry is Factorio light with way more tower defense elements + cheaper and on steam/ios

Yeah, I've been looking at that. I understand that Factorio has a peaceful mode; does Mindustry? I'm actually more into building than defense.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hi, I was hoping there was a general "recommend me a game" thread.

One of the dads in my karate class (age 50 or so?) is slowly getting into video games. He started with some puzzles and platformers, then moved into... survival horror or something? I honestly forget some of the games he's mentioned. His tastes are very different from mine.

Today he told me he picked up Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I was surprised! Previously when I recommended Stray and Return of the Obra Dinn, he said those games were too long. :v: So maybe he's ready to move into the big boy games?

I want to recommend him a good first RPG to get into RPGs. I already mentioned The Witcher 3, which I know is good. How about a good entry level JRPG? Or heck more western RPGs. w/e! He doesn't have any Nintendo systems, so sadly anything Nintendo exclusive is out. :( He has a computer and a Playstation. Unsure if it's a Playstation 4 or 5 though. I haven't asked. Best to err on the side of things available on Steam or Playstation 4.

Help me find something to recommend him!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't know what his standards are for pretty pretty graphics but for someone new to the hobby my first thought is to point him to the classics. Witcher 3 is super obvious and comes with the pretty pretty graphics of course. Fallout New Vegas if he'd be into that is a fuckin' terrific RPG right out of the box, obviously there's a huge mod scene but you don't need mods to have fun with it. Disco Elysium would certainly keep him busy a while. Octopath Traveler is on Steam if he really wants the JRPG experience.

If he's going to get something for PC he should probably do it in the next 2 days before the winter sale ends!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

grate deceiver posted:

You know that Carrier Command 2 just released recently?

I know graphics aren't everything, but holy crap that looks like its straight out of 1997. The co-op multiplier aspects seem fun but I play strategy games like this totally solo as a spur of the moment thing. I spent some time on Gaea mission this weekend and trying to get back into it.

e: To be clear, thanks for the recommendation. I didn't even know it existed.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 3, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well...I couldn't find a Factorio clone that scratched that particular itch, so....I splurged and just got Factorio.

Now I get what people mean by the 'Factorio effect' of looking at the clock and being surprised that hours have passed. My first factory is no doubt laughably inefficient, but I just got steam power going and I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Worth the $30.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Weird request but are there games that show a timelapse of your actions, like a replay back to you?

I was playing Desperados 3 and at the end of the level there is a map overview showing your movements around the map and which actions you took. Are there any other features similar to that in other games? Obvious answer is any sports or racing game with a replay feature.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

err posted:

I was playing Desperados 3 and at the end of the level there is a map overview showing your movements around the map and which actions you took. Are there any other features similar to that in other games? Obvious answer is any sports or racing game with a replay feature.
Ace Combat 7.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

err posted:

Weird request but are there games that show a timelapse of your actions, like a replay back to you?

Superhot did this sort of

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

err posted:

Superhot shows the whole level as a replay after you finish playing it, which can look cool

Power wash Simulator takes the hour+ you spent power washing a level and does a quick recap of how you approached it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

err posted:

Katana Zero.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Super Time Force Ultra

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Rogue Legacy and its sequel show the path you took through the map, and your kills/major finds, but doesn't actually replay the game in the regular view.

Tangentially related: a bunch of old console emulators support recording your gamepad inputs into a "movie", which can be replayed to recreate the gameplay. This is the basis of most tool-assisted speedruns.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

err posted:

Civilization V shows a timelapse of the map after a game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

err posted:

Old, but 2000's era IL-2 Sturmovik did this, and probably a lot of other flight sims. RTS's also frequently have recording and replay features.

Whoops, read that you want maps, not replays.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chamale posted:

Civilization V shows a timelapse of the map after a game.

I'm pretty sure all the Civ games all the way back to the original do this

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

iirc from watching my roommate in college, Super Meat Boy would replay all your attempts simultaneously when you finally beat a level, which was entertaining to watch

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

err posted:

Fights In Tight Spaces does that, which is pretty neat, although the turn-based nature means that the action still looks choppy compared to the mental picture you make of it as it happens.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Rogue Legacy and its sequel show the path you took through the map, and your kills/major finds, but doesn't actually replay the game in the regular view.

Tangentially related: a bunch of old console emulators support recording your gamepad inputs into a "movie", which can be replayed to recreate the gameplay. This is the basis of most tool-assisted speedruns.

I have been extremely disappointed by rogue legacy 2

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

err posted:

Northgard does this for the strategy map

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

err posted:

iirc frozen synapse did this, maybe? it's been a while

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

I have been extremely disappointed by rogue legacy 2

:shrug: To each their own. For me, it was an excellent game. If nothing else, compared to the original it greatly improved on run variety, and made it so that there was more than one viable class once you're in the late postgame.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

err posted:

Joke not joke answer; Toribash

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

iirc frozen synapse did this, maybe? it's been a while

Yeah it did. You could export it too easily. So if, for example, you owned a friend completely by killing his team in the opening seconds of a match without them even hitting your guys, you could upload the video to YT then send him a link :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:shrug: To each their own. For me, it was an excellent game. If nothing else, compared to the original it greatly improved on run variety, and made it so that there was more than one viable class once you're in the late postgame.

The class variety is a great improvement, definitely agree with that. Can't really pin down exactly why but it doesn't click for me. If it scratches the itch for others that's great!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good strategy games or have they all been converted to Hero focused strategy or whatever Dawn of War 3 became? For reference I mean a more recent game but in the vein of Supreme Commander or Dawn of War 1.

Can anyone recommend one?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Planetary Annihilation Titans

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any good strategy games or have they all been converted to Hero focused strategy or whatever Dawn of War 3 became? For reference I mean a more recent game but in the vein of Supreme Commander or Dawn of War 1.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ZeusCannon posted:

There's a decent number of RTSes that still come out. It's a fan game but in the Total Annihilation subgenre I know people are currently hyped about Beyond All Reason, and in the Relic-like subgenre CoH3 is doing a public beta next weekend.

There's also the recently emerging subgenre of horde defense RTSes: They Are Billions, Age of Darkness, and I think Diplomacy Is Not An Option.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ZeusCannon posted:

In the vein of Supreme commander and Total Annihilation I can recommend Beyond All Reason (BAR) and/or Zero-K. Both are free to play!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had somehow missed hearing about Beyond All Reason. That looks pretty fun even if it's very early access.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll keep an eye on CoH as well. I really liked those in the past so maybe 3 will be good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kvlt! posted:

Planetary Annihilation Titans

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had Planetary Annihilation but I remember it being underwhelming. Did it get improved?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ZeusCannon posted:

I had Planetary Annihilation but I remember it being underwhelming. Did it get improved?

It has gotten pretty constant updates and it's a solid game but will always have the problem of being set on globes and multiple planets which is a huge pain to anyone starting out.

Personally though I prefer SupCom FAF over PA:T

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 9, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm looking for something like Cultist Simulator but made by non-horrible people.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm looking for something like Cultist Simulator but made by non-horrible people.

Stacklands for the gameplay.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

In terms of mechanics or vibes?

In terms of mechanics checkout Stacklands https://store.steampowered.com/app/1948280/Stacklands/

In terms of vibes is trickier since the horrible person behind cultsim was pretty excellent at world building, the closest bet would probably be Sunless Skies made by the his former studio after he left https://store.steampowered.com/app/596970/Sunless_Skies_Sovereign_Edition/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Strange Horticulture hits some of the atmosphere and I love it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZeusCannon posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: It was released extremely delayed and extremely unfinished due to being one of the first big Kickstarter oh-poo poo-we-overpromised situations. After the updates the only promised features I can think of that aren't present are partial planet destruction (colliding planets always explode no matter their relative size, no massive craters) and the orbital physics isn't an elaborate real-world accurate n-body simulation (and I'm not even sure that was ever actually promised).

Additionally Titans added a bunch of extra stuff like even more gianter robots and mobile orbital teleporters. I think you'll have gotten Titans for free if you already owned PA, if not you can blow *checks* less than three bucks to upgrade.

The campaign is a kind of roguelike thing which is... fine. Multiplayer is extremely fun and there's nothing like teleporting in a bunch of builders and spinning up a planet exploder on someone else's main resource planet. Single player is... look it's fun and in any other game I'd classify it as extremely fun but it's hard for it to live up to the absolute glorious chaos that is multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I’m looking for coop games I can sink a lot of hours in. I don’t mind survival games to some degree but I don’t like janky experiences at all. I enjoyed Heroes of Hammerwatch until it became bullshit at like NG+8. I want something with some form of permanent progression and not super punishing