Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I just started a fresh hades save file after pumping 100 plus hours into it and i immediately abandoned every other game ive been playing atm so enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Dear Game Industry,

I broke the right trigger on a DS4 playing so much Hades please do not make a Diablo version of Hades.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I liked Hades a lot, but the lack of enemy/act variety took away the longevity for me. Acts 3 and 4 were full of enemies that were really annoying to fight and it started to feel like a slog every time I cleared the first two Acts.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Been running some grifts. Definitely not getting a 50% drop rate on gifts - getting about 25-30%. That's with about 60 runs.

Unrelated - thanks for the heads-up about Hades! Been meaning to pick it up, forgot to add it to my steam wishlist to get notified about sales. Not gonna play right away though.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 4, 2023

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Mailer posted:

Dear Game Industry,

I broke the right trigger on a DS4 playing so much Hades please do not make a Diablo version of Hades.

I repair and miss electronics and I've never seen a controller more shoddily thrown together than the DS4. The later versions were slightly better, but not much. It's amazing they work at all, so it's probably not Hades' fault the trigger broke.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RodShaft posted:

I repair and miss electronics and I've never seen a controller more shoddily thrown together than the DS4. The later versions were slightly better, but not much. It's amazing they work at all, so it's probably not Hades' fault the trigger broke.

*points to the stack of extra controllers purchased due to sales sitting next to the pile of "one bit broke" controllers used to salvage parts for the rest*

Believe me I know. We wound up throwing out my wife's old 360 controllers due to lack of compatibility, but those things are solid as hell. There's probably six or so xbone/xbsex controllers floating around and they all still work flawlessly. Every DS4 has the rubber stick covers wear out, or the triggers die, or the buttons get mashed in. Bayonetta on xbox may have had me in pain for a week but that controller still worked until the day we threw it out with our final 360.

Unfortunately, aside from the Steamdeck, the world has largely decided on the xbox layout and it actively induces pain in my left arm to use them for more than a few minutes without an extended break. The DS5s are tilted so much towards the triggers that L1/R1 feel uncomfortable. It sucks that the best controller fit for me has to be the one that dies if you sneeze at it... but welp.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

xZAOx posted:

Been running some grifts. Definitely not getting a 50% drop rate on gifts - getting about 25-30%. That's with about 60 runs.

Ya the gifts seem to drop less than 50% of the time. Even in ancient puzzle vaults the most gifts I have got is 3. Usually 1 or 2.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The gift rate is fine. The rate at which they actually drop cosmetics is super hosed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Mailer posted:

The gift rate is fine. The rate at which they actually drop cosmetics is super hosed.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the general community consensus (and from maxroll) is that they're a ~50% drop rate from guardians. Was just saying that unless I'm on a growing streak of bad RNG, seems notably far off from that.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Mailer posted:

*points to the stack of extra controllers purchased due to sales sitting next to the pile of "one bit broke" controllers used to salvage parts for the rest*

Believe me I know. We wound up throwing out my wife's old 360 controllers due to lack of compatibility, but those things are solid as hell. There's probably six or so xbone/xbsex controllers floating around and they all still work flawlessly. Every DS4 has the rubber stick covers wear out, or the triggers die, or the buttons get mashed in. Bayonetta on xbox may have had me in pain for a week but that controller still worked until the day we threw it out with our final 360.

Unfortunately, aside from the Steamdeck, the world has largely decided on the xbox layout and it actively induces pain in my left arm to use them for more than a few minutes without an extended break. The DS5s are tilted so much towards the triggers that L1/R1 feel uncomfortable. It sucks that the best controller fit for me has to be the one that dies if you sneeze at it... but welp.

Have you tried the 8bitdo pro controllers. They are hands down my favorite controllers. They are roughly exactly the same size as a ds4. They have the symmetrical layout and are the most solidly built modern controllers(like snes solid).

They go on sale for around $40 regularly just lurk the video games deals thread they always get posted.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

xZAOx posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the general community consensus (and from maxroll) is that they're a ~50% drop rate from guardians. Was just saying that unless I'm on a growing streak of bad RNG, seems notably far off from that.

You've balanced out my luck, I was getting over 50% last night and found the sword :toot:

The only items I don't have at this point are Wirt's Original Leg and Griswold's Worn Edge, both of which require constantly creating new games and ugh at that point I'd rather play D2R.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Swilo posted:

You've balanced out my luck, I was getting over 50% last night and found the sword :toot:

The only items I don't have at this point are Wirt's Original Leg and Griswold's Worn Edge, both of which require constantly creating new games and ugh at that point I'd rather play D2R.

The mediocrity one?

I got *two* of those in like my first 20 runs, lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
for people who are still playing Diablo 3 on the PC, what kind of frame rates are you getting? this is just curiosity, as I'd expect that a game as old as it is should be blazing away at 200 FPS or something on modern hardware

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

for people who are still playing Diablo 3 on the PC, what kind of frame rates are you getting? this is just curiosity, as I'd expect that a game as old as it is should be blazing away at 200 FPS or something on modern hardware

I just reinstalled out of curiosity and I get in the 200-300s when uncapped whether I'm at 720p on minimum settings or UHD at max settings. Like a lot of old games, it is apparently pretty dependent on your single fastest CPU core.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
D3 is very lightweight, but it's unplayable for me without vsync due to crazy frame tearing and micro stutters without it.
Also can't use borderless because then the brightness adjustment doesn't work :argh:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It runs super smooth for me, even though I feel for its age that the time between "I want to play" and "I'm controlling my character" is too long.

It's maybe, 20 seconds? Versus Poe, which is 3 seconds. Both of which are miles better than the d4 beta, which was minutes. Hopefully that was just "not yet optimized" stuff.

And yes, all on a ssd, blah blah.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what about poe, but with long loading screens and instead of just popping a map in the device you had to ride to the location of the map on the open world first

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
hell yeah im hyped for d4 sounds like exactly what I'm looking for in an arpg

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It's an MMO. No, wait, it's a seasons game and you can respec. Wait, no you can't respec. Ok, you can respec but it gets more expensive because ~investment~. But it has an unchanging open world and there are public events like an MMO! Oh but also it's not an MMO, it's an action game and it'll have seasons at some point. You can move around legendary affixes. Ok ok, only some affixes! It's got a sphere grid like that other game you people like! Ok ok sorry it has multiple sphere grids because you're a totally unique and special character in this game with like six classes! Guys we can't keep changing this our only direction was to read through a decade of reddit complaints and all of our devs are quitting now and we have six months to turn the game into something that makes everyone happy just please preorder.

I'll be over here with the smart money waiting until 2033 to play. Until then I'll be playing Diablo 3 Season 28.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Yeah, I can't imagine having the stomach to play D4 right when it comes out unless you're some sort of content creator making money off of it. I'll keep dropping into D3 every once in a while until D4 gets "fixed" in a few years, and if they ever completely shut off D3, I think I'll be fine with it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The other day Wowhead did a write-up of the D4 sorc, and their conclusion was basically "it's exactly what you expect it to be" and I think that's just... kinda sad. One thing I think D3 did a pretty good job at was making skill references to D2 while not being exactly the same, and having new stuff at the same time.

For example, here is a list of the fire skills the sorc apparently has in D4. It might look familiar:
Firebolt
Fireball
Incinerate (aka Inferno)
Flame Shield
Hydra
Meteor
Firewall
Ultimate: Inferno (the fire snake)

They thought of one new thing outside of the mandatory-in-modern-games defensive ability. One! We've even kept the ol' Firebolt/Fireball dichotomy in the Year of Our Lord 2023 because we can't be assed to think up a different filler fire spell.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they're trying to just make it d1/2 by the sound of it, but even a 1:1 copy isn't going to bring back the magic, no pun intended

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bio347 posted:

The other day Wowhead did a write-up of the D4 sorc, and their conclusion was basically "it's exactly what you expect it to be" and I think that's just... kinda sad. One thing I think D3 did a pretty good job at was making skill references to D2 while not being exactly the same, and having new stuff at the same time.

For example, here is a list of the fire skills the sorc apparently has in D4. It might look familiar:
Firebolt
Fireball
Incinerate (aka Inferno)
Flame Shield
Hydra
Meteor
Firewall
Ultimate: Inferno (the fire snake)

They thought of one new thing outside of the mandatory-in-modern-games defensive ability. One! We've even kept the ol' Firebolt/Fireball dichotomy in the Year of Our Lord 2023 because we can't be assed to think up a different filler fire spell.

Yep, pretty much. I played a Sorc throughout my time with the closed beta and its all the same exact skills as D2. I checked the other classes and its roughly the same there too. It just adds to how quickly the game got boring to me.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I would be okay with all old skills from D2 and D3, but you would have to put me in a brand-new playground with lots of innovative and interesting things to do with those skills. It doesn't sound like that happened

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
They still have time to double things it's going to be fine

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I wish I could explain my different reactions to D2 & D3 but I can’t. I played D2 fanatically (post-LOD) and loved it. I played D3 for a couple of months (post-ROS) & then willingly set it aside. Not sure if it was actually inferior, or if I just got sick of dungeon crawlers.

Likewise, I haven’t really had fun playing WOW since Wrath of the Lich King.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

kliras posted:

they're trying to just make it d1/2 by the sound of it

Ya that's what it seems like from all the videos I've watched. It looks like its going to be a lot slower than D3 and more like D2. I don't mind that but at the same time I really got used to the faster pace gameplay of D3.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

bio347 posted:

It's worse than that, because on top of Firebolt... we have Icebolt. Also the same electrical attack. These are diverse and interesting choices and I'm sure putting 99 points into Firebolt is a good way to play. ~Diversity~ and ~investment~ will save the game even if the loot universally sucks and everything takes longer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is what happens when you design your game around Battle.net complaint posts instead of having any sort of unique vision.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just can't believe how loving ugly it looks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Basically

Blizzard posted:

turning a big dial taht says "D2" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
With all this talk about listening to internet complaints.

I love this bit about MTG from one of its designers:

quote:

Here’s Rosewater’s full bombshell from his blog post: “The vast majority of tabletop Magic players (over 75%) don’t know what a planeswalker is, don’t know who I am, don’t know what a format is (let alone know of any particular format), and don’t frequent Magic content on the internet (including this blog).” “They are far less knowledgeable about the game than enfranchised fans realise”, he adds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bamhand posted:

With all this talk about listening to internet complaints.

I love this bit about MTG from one of its designers:

A while back I was at a party with some friends where the host busted out a few shoeboxes full of magic cards they'd grabbed from their mom's house. Nothing exciting, mostly the garbage 4th edition / Ice Age commons/uncommons that they hadn't bindered back in high school. We ended up breaking into them and using 20-ish year old memories of the games to slap together some basic decks and screw around. Meanwhile one person there turns out to have still been an active player and would not shut the gently caress up about strategy and whatever the meta was in 2021.

Like, dude, I understand that you're still super into this but I'm just trying to scavenge enough red lands out of this shoebox to make a basic bitch goblin / direct damage deck to fart around with for an hour while drinking beer and talking about middle aged nerd poo poo.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Mailer posted:

i dont think it's out yet but hyperkin has a licensed 360 controller replica on the way:
https://twitter.com/Hyperkin/status/1595115893708636160?s=20

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

A while back I was at a party with some friends where the host busted out a few shoeboxes full of magic cards they'd grabbed from their mom's house. Nothing exciting, mostly the garbage 4th edition / Ice Age commons/uncommons that they hadn't bindered back in high school. We ended up breaking into them and using 20-ish year old memories of the games to slap together some basic decks and screw around. Meanwhile one person there turns out to have still been an active player and would not shut the gently caress up about strategy and whatever the meta was in 2021.

Like, dude, I understand that you're still super into this but I'm just trying to scavenge enough red lands out of this shoebox to make a basic bitch goblin / direct damage deck to fart around with for an hour while drinking beer and talking about middle aged nerd poo poo.

This right here is why I’ll end up buying D4 eventually. Shambling corpse that Activision-Blizzard is, they’re still the only company that’s ever cleared the very low bar of making your skills tactile and crunchy. Also, having not played D2 back in the day, reuse of tired tropes doesn’t bug me as long as the feel of it works out okay. I play these games to explode mooks en masse and tune the gently caress out. The light number tweaking is only ever satisfying for a little bit before it gets stale to me. No vision matters exactly zero to me if the moment-to-moment feels good.

On that note, if I were contemplating picking up D2, having no nostalgia for it as I said, would y’all say it’s worth a play?

I have no interest in endgame for it, but a once-through with all the classes would probably take a good while no? What would you guys say to someone who’d somehow missed that particular train, coming to it now?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
To be fair, the sorc's other two spell schools do seem to have a couple more new ideas, but that fire tree... woof. Couldn't even be bothered to bring back, say, that running-fire-man spell whose name I can't remember from D1 to give it a little bit of flavour.

BurningBeard posted:

I have no interest in endgame for it, but a once-through with all the classes would probably take a good while no? What would you guys say to someone who’d somehow missed that particular train, coming to it now?
D2 is one of the classics for a reason, and a couple casual playthroughs can be a worthwhile experience.

HOWEVER.

Be warned that even with D2R's improvements, it is very much a game of its time and if you can't handle 2000-era game design you will probably struggle with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bio347 posted:

To be fair, the sorc's other two spell schools do seem to have a couple more new ideas, but that fire tree... woof. Couldn't even be bothered to bring back, say, that running-fire-man spell whose name I can't remember from D1 to give it a little bit of flavour..

The one where you run around laying a trail of flaming "gently caress you" in your wake?

I can't believe I remember this, but that's blaze, and it's in D2 as well. I remember using it to cheese Andariel the very first time I played it. I'm like 90% certain it was the pre-requisite spell for fire wall.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The one where you run around laying a trail of flaming "gently caress you" in your wake?

I can't believe I remember this, but that's blaze, and it's in D2 as well. I remember using it to cheese Andariel the very first time I played it. I'm like 90% certain it was the pre-requisite spell for fire wall.

No, in D1 there's a spell that's like fireball but it's heatseeking. And it's shaped like a flaming man instead of a ball.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bio347 posted:

To be fair, the sorc's other two spell schools do seem to have a couple more new ideas, but that fire tree... woof. Couldn't even be bothered to bring back, say, that running-fire-man spell whose name I can't remember from D1 to give it a little bit of flavour.

D2 is one of the classics for a reason, and a couple casual playthroughs can be a worthwhile experience.

HOWEVER.

Be warned that even with D2R's improvements, it is very much a game of its time and if you can't handle 2000-era game design you will probably struggle with it.

I don't mind clunky and old school under a lot of circumstances. What specifically would you call out as dated in a bad way? Other than the inventory tetris which survives to this day in some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

bamhand posted:

No, in D1 there's a spell that's like fireball but it's heatseeking. And it's shaped like a flaming man instead of a ball.

Oh yeah, that's a cool rear end spell. Elemental!