Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm finally playing Control and really into it. Managed to keep myself spoiler free despite all the praise for the Ashtray Maze (or maybe because of it) and last night I get to it and I'm all excited only for it not to really be available yet? Like, I get a little tease but unless I'm missing something it's not what everyone has been talking about and I'll have to return later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah it's lategame. you metroidvania back there a bit later once you're more tooled up iirc

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yeah, you'll know when the time is for why people talk about it. It's good!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You get to interact with Ahti to get in, which is always fun.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Dragon Age: Inquisition forces you to use the stick to navigate menus, which is annoying because I prefer to use the directional pad for that. It’s a little thing but it’s dragging the game down for me!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition forces you to use the stick to navigate menus, which is annoying because I prefer to use the directional pad for that. It’s a little thing but it’s dragging the game down for me!

Genshin Impact also does this, it's incredibly annoying.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tunicate posted:

Mathematically, if a headwind slows you to 25% normal speed, and wind direction is random NSEW, the majority of your time will be spent sailing into a headwind because those trips take 4x as long.

Headwind slows you to 0 (or rather, slow paddling), but wind direction is random 360 degree, so it is "whichever way you want to go" versus "current wind direction" with a 90 degree deadzone/headwind arc

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't like the meteor showers in Sonic Frontiers, they are very annoying as they put a very distracting and impossible to parse slot machine right in the middle of the screen and respawn all the bosses so it feels like you aren't really getting anywhere with optional things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Headwind slows you to 0 (or rather, slow paddling), but wind direction is random 360 degree, so it is "whichever way you want to go" versus "current wind direction" with a 90 degree deadzone/headwind arc

So it's even worse then

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
hell yea it is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The mini games in Golf Story have mostly been ok, but there are occasional ones that have frustrating design choices. The worst one I've found so far is a bicycle challenge that gives you 35 seconds to navigate a track with varies challenges, including water you can fall into. The big problem is that doing that resets you back to the very beginning of the course, and it seems to be long enough that doing that even once will make it impossible to win, but there's no way to exit or restart the challenge other than letting the time run out. Just one of a number of weird design choices that I hope they look at in whatever update they're doing to address bugginess and stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't remember the dlc chapters of Alan wake being this miserable. God drat do they suck

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Len posted:

I don't remember the dlc chapters of Alan wake being this miserable. God drat do they suck

Are you playing on PC and if so on what difficulty level?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

Are you playing on PC and if so on what difficulty level?

Xbox and normal

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The PC version (at least the original, dunno about the remaster) plays a trick on you and renames the difficulties to Easy/Normal/Nightmare, and having been tricked into playing on what was actually Hard I distinctly remember not enjoying the DLCs and assumed it was mostly down to that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sounds like they carried that through to the remastered version as well

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
New attacks in Neo: The World Ends with You come from pins picked up from defeated enemies. You can reduce your team's health for a higher chance at getting pins and increase the difficulty to have a chance at rarer pins.

That's what the difficulty menu says, at least.

Turns out changing difficulty changes drop tables entirely, so the same enemy can drop different pins depending on the difficulty. Cue me being confused why a certain pin I needed wasn't dropping from the enemy the quest giver said on Hard. Turns out I had to drop the difficulty to Easy. That was some wasted time right there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Len posted:

I remember the first one not being very fun but the second one being good. Or maybe vice versa it's been like 10 years

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hope Alan Wake 2 takes more after Control and Alan Wake and less the DLC and American Nightmare

Which is what's up next on my remedy shared universe playthrough

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I keep trying and failing to get around to playing American Nightmare, but I thought the general consensus was that it smoothed out some of the problems with the base Alan Wake gameplay? Maybe not, obviously I don't know anything firsthand.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep trying and failing to get around to playing American Nightmare, but I thought the general consensus was that it smoothed out some of the problems with the base Alan Wake gameplay? Maybe not, obviously I don't know anything firsthand.

I never got around to finishing it but my 10+ year old memories are that the combat was better but the story was meh

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's very light, it's the same three levels over and over (literally, you're in a loop). It's very much an arcade mode they tacked a story mode onto, and then Control retconned it anyways

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is it a standalone thing? I kind of want to play it before regular Alan Wake because it's shorter (this makes sense in my head) but obvs if it refers to and assumes you've played the whole original game then I'll play them the right way round

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll probably just give it a peep on youtube myself, that sounds like the gameplay modes I generally skip when they're in other games.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

2house2fly posted:

Is it a standalone thing? I kind of want to play it before regular Alan Wake because it's shorter (this makes sense in my head) but obvs if it refers to and assumes you've played the whole original game then I'll play them the right way round

You can play the arcade mode standalone but the story won't make sense without playing the first one

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

New attacks in Neo: The World Ends with You come from pins picked up from defeated enemies. You can reduce your team's health for a higher chance at getting pins and increase the difficulty to have a chance at rarer pins.

Turns out changing difficulty changes drop tables entirely, so the same enemy can drop different pins depending on the difficulty. Cue me being confused why a certain pin I needed wasn't dropping from the enemy the quest giver said on Hard. Turns out I had to drop the difficulty to Easy. That was some wasted time right there.

I mean, the game is pretty transparent about it in the bestiary, right down to the exact drop rates for each difficulty’s pins depending on your drop rate modifiers. Is that part of the menu not unlocked yet?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Ultimate- changes drop tables. Levels change the drop rate I.E. Level 26 vs lvl 8. If you go lower than the max level it increases pin drop rates, I think that's the part that you might've gotten mixed up?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if its anything like the original DS game, you can probably setup a lvl 1, negative hp , death immunity setup for the max droprate and still have a 0.00000.....00001% rate for the rarest drop.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think there’s anything nearly as mean as the one dragon with an insanely low drop rate for it’s one not outstanding pin.

But speaking of topic relevant stuff, NEO: TWEWY has pins from bosses, and most of them can be refought in the postgame as random encounters. Most of them. There’s a few instances of a boss only having its phase 2 fight available so you just have to go through that day and savescum the fight, which is kind of a bummer of an oversight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing the 2022 Saints Row remake/reboot, and so far am liking it despite some obvious flaws. It's got its ups and downs.

But one real disappointment?

There is no classic rock/pop station. Presumably between music rights continually getting more ludicrously expensive, and Agents of Mayhem doing badly, Volition weren't able to afford the kinds of songs they had in earlier installments (well, 2-4, the first one didn't have one either.) No funk station either. There is a rap station which has some classics, but so far I haven't found a station that I can just leave it on the way I could with The Mix. (There's an 80s-inspired synthwave station but it's all instrumentals.) Very unfortunate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
It seems like it would not be hard to just integrate a Spotify playlist or something to play through your car in-game. That way you can have in-game music and don't have to pay royalties at all.

edit: I mean as a built-in game mechanic; not that you just play Spotify in the background.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sonic Frontiers is neat so far, but having to stop after every couple of plot beats to collect a few dozen tokens is a bit annoying. I now have to get 38 tokens before I can complete the second island even though I basically have the basic stuff that I'd need, the characters just haven't put it together yet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I bought Little Nightmares 2 on sale for ten bucks. I’ll have to skip lunch once this week to afford it but I really liked the first one and did it on impulse. The aesthetic is amazing of course but the jumping and grabbing controls are, and I don’t use this term lightly, floaty

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

credburn posted:

It seems like it would not be hard to just integrate a Spotify playlist or something to play through your car in-game. That way you can have in-game music and don't have to pay royalties at all.

edit: I mean as a built-in game mechanic; not that you just play Spotify in the background.

I'd imagine trying to do that would run into the exact licensing issues with getting individual tracks, only even more so.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

I'd imagine trying to do that would run into the exact licensing issues with getting individual tracks, only even more so.

It has to because otherwise Beat Hazard would just have Spotify instead of the weird workaround where it listens to what's playing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

I bought Little Nightmares 2 on sale for ten bucks. I’ll have to skip lunch once this week to afford it but I really liked the first one and did it on impulse. The aesthetic is amazing of course but the jumping and grabbing controls are, and I don’t use this term lightly, floaty

Almost like you're in a nightmare, eh? Eh?

No, but I agree with you though, almost every death I had in that game was due to some weird jump that for some reason didn't move the way I thought it would, or a grab that I figured would connect but didn't.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

In the Assassin's Creed Valhalla DLC, Wrath of the Druids, there's a bunch of repeatable missions which have special "kings pleas". These are parameters like "don't take damage", "don't get detected" and "kill only the targets".

For this last one, I just did a mission perfectly without being seen, killing all three targets without anyone else noticing, and only had to go and confirm the kill. You do this by pressing triangle near the body.

Guess which button is also "hurl the dead guy's sword at the nearest enemy soldier, triggering a huge alarm and losing your bonus"?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Related, in the Siege of Paris DLC there are repeatable side missions that give you standing with the rebel faction and rewards and such. One of those rewards is a sicknasty armour set, but there are diminishing returns for how much faction xp you get per mission, and it gets very grindy very fast.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Philippe posted:

it gets very grindy very fast.

Pretty sure that's Ubisoft's mission statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

In the Assassin's Creed Valhalla DLC, Wrath of the Druids, there's a bunch of repeatable missions which have special "kings pleas". These are parameters like "don't take damage", "don't get detected" and "kill only the targets".

For this last one, I just did a mission perfectly without being seen, killing all three targets without anyone else noticing, and only had to go and confirm the kill. You do this by pressing triangle near the body.

Guess which button is also "hurl the dead guy's sword at the nearest enemy soldier, triggering a huge alarm and losing your bonus"?

Lol, I remember the same thing in Odyssey, walking up to the leader of a Spartan military camp to join them in battle, then getting my poo poo instantly wrecked by a hostile army because "assassinate" is the same button as "talk to" depending on where you're standing relative to someone :suicide: